The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The Tamron 70-180mm is all I hoped it would be. So light but still fast focussing and sharp. Build quality isn't as good as the GM lenses but it should be fine for an amateur like me

au contraire, 70-200GM is not a well built lens. I think people incorrectly mistake heavy and metal feeling for better built.
70-200GM has reports of snapping in half and is designed/built in such a way that it's hard to repair should things go wrong inside.
Also there's reports of AF motors not being durable along with several reports of AF inaccuracies.

I'd say tamron is a better built lens.

au contraire, 70-200GM is not a well built lens. I think people incorrectly mistake heavy and metal feeling for better built.
70-200GM has reports of snapping in half and is designed/built in such a way that it's hard to repair should things go wrong inside.
Also there's reports of AF motors not being durable along with several reports of AF inaccuracies.

I only have the 24-70 GM to compare it to build quality wise. That seems as good as my old L lenses and Nikon gold band lenses. I read too much about the 70-200 GM not being as good as Canikons versions so went for the Tamron. glad I did as it is really nice. I'm really looking forward to getting the 100-400 GM as I think it will be brilliant for photographing the dog and for landscapes too.

I've just ordered the 70-200 Sigma Sport for the R6, i'm going all Sigma so if I did want to switch back to Sony or add a second body (Sony) I know they will work like native adapted.

He's a blue roan cocker spaniel so he has plenty of contrast on him and there wasn't really any detail in the snow yet on a few occasions it drifted over to the ground, tried to lock on then worked its way back to the dog. On another shot it got confused between the dog and the person who released him despite the large distance between them. On the other hand in defence of the camera he was absolutely caning it and there's a lot of movement around him as his hair and ears are flung all over the place. I've never seen this before any other camera and was amused to notice that as he accelerates at the start of each leap, he opens his eyes and mouth then as he lands that step he closes both which he seems to repeat on each step.
Ahh right, do you have AF set to wide then or do you have single point to specify the target.
It is interesting seeing their expressions throughout the running sequence, Betty looks demented most of the time :LOL:
Betty looking super sharp. Hope the new camera is all that you wish it to be.
So far so good. Just in use going through menus and photo playback etc it’s less laggy than the R4, it’s nailed more shots and blackout free shooting makes life much easier. Processing is much less of a PITA too. The extra dials on the top make a big difference too.

I’ll find out if I miss the R4 when I need to crop heavy ;)

Screen protector question time, do all A7 and A9 variants have the same size LCD?

I haven't watched that yet but I saw the thumbnail on my feed with that title I said out loud "The R5 wins, I know".

Shocking...it's not shocking at all, it's predictable.

You moving back as you was a canon user for years right

I'm so tired of the usual Youtube crowd telling us the previous best thing in the world is now junk and we need to shift. I can't bring myself to watch any these days. Perhaps they should be called (dis)content creators. At least it keeps the used market busy, I suppose.

A sad day today, my Fuji X100V is going to a new home and I am calling it a day.
Still, yesterday was a even sadder day as I waved bye to my Tesla....... :eek:
Officially camera and carless now :(

A sad day today, my Fuji X100V is going to a new home and I am calling it a day.
I almost bought your Fuji but then out of the blue I got a client booking so had to go a different route.

You'll be back i'm sure.

I'm so tired of the usual Youtube crowd telling us the previous best thing in the world is now junk and we need to shift. I can't bring myself to watch any these days. Perhaps they should be called (dis)content creators. At least it keeps the used market busy, I suppose.

Most of them are average to competent photographers, not someone's work I aspired to be. For all these annual gear switching, their work never really improves. May be they purposely use mundane photos as a baseline to illustrates pixel peeping but rarely would they post a photo that made me wish i had taken that.

Are you going to do without a car?

I did 2k miles in my Getz between MOT's and 200 miles in my MX5. We walk a lot but I couldn't have carried the three bags of shopping we bought yesterday back from ASDA so we still need a car sometimes :D

Most of them are average to competent photographers, not someone's work I aspired to be. For all these annual gear switching, their work never really improves. May be they purposely use mundane photos as a baseline to illustrates pixel peeping but rarely would they post a photo that made me wish i had taken that.

Isn't the evolution path... it's all about the camera... no, it's all about the lens... no, it's all about the light.

I agree, although i tend to only shoot birds and would value a good birding photographer's view far more nothing I've seen has made me doubt my a1 pre order over any other camera .

Rob.

I don't think Jared Polin falls into that category at all, he often says you can get the same results with most cameras if you have the right skills, he just points out the technical facts and then it's our decision.

Isn't the evolution path... it's all about the camera... no, it's all about the lens... no, it's all about the light.
No, it's all about the clicks (and they don't have anything to do with a shutter in this context!)

I agree, although i tend to only shoot birds and would value a good birding photographer's view far more nothing I've seen has made me doubt my a1 pre order over any other camera .

Rob.

That's the thing, all they seem to talk about lately is animal and bird AF. Not something i am interested in (fair enough if you are), hence I have switched off, it's a setting in the camera that will never be utilised in my hands. Which explains why I have only watched half of all the reviews of the A1 in my YouTube feed.

That's the thing, all they seem to talk about lately is animal and bird AF. Not something i am interested in (fair enough if you are), hence I have switched off, it's a setting in the camera that will never be utilised in my hands. Which explains why I have only watched half of all the reviews of the A1 in my YouTube feed.
:plus1: and video.

On other news, I’ve asked the developer of the camerasize site to add the A9ii as it wasn’t on, 5 mins later he emailed back to say he’d work on putting it on, 2 mins after than got an email to say it’s now up :clap:

I did 2k miles in my Getz between MOT's and 200 miles in my MX5. We walk a lot but I couldn't have carried the three bags of shopping we bought yesterday back from ASDA so we still need a car sometimes :D
My wife has just quit her job as it was too much for her (palliative care nurse) so we still have the VW Tiguan for the time being.
I am working from home with only 1 visit a week into the office, so we should be ok for the time being.
If and when work decide they want us all back in the office full-time, I will just get a cheap VW Polo.
My long-term plan is to invest further into stocks and crypto.... can always buy another Tesla in the future.

I have 2 cars and am looking at buying another. Need something bigger to cart the dogs about in :ROFLMAO:

My long-term plan is to invest further into stocks and crypto.... can always buy another Tesla in the future.

Interesting I am doing the opposite I have a house that we rent out that was our retirement plan. Decided to sell it and it’s due to complete next week. Have also sold off what few shares I had and converted what crypto I had into real money.

One thing the pandemic has thought me is that life is to short to worry about the long term.

As soon as we get back to some normality me and the missus are gonna do a huge amount of travelling and living for the moment.

On other news, I’ve asked the developer of the camerasize site to add the A9ii as it wasn’t on, 5 mins later he emailed back to say he’d work on putting it on, 2 mins after than got an email to say it’s now up :clap:
Would you mind asking him to add the Nikon 200-500? (y)

I've just been reading the Voigtlander 35mm f2 apo thread on FM.

The 50mm f2 is thought by some to be amongst the best 50mm lenses ever made, I wonder if this new 35mm will perform as well? One interesting feature mentioned in that thread is the 50mm gives round bokeh at f2 and f2.8. I wonder if they'll carry this forward with the 35mm?

But there's the f1.2 alternatives. Copied from that thread, quoting Philip Reeve...

"If you are in the lucky position that spending a little over $1k on a 2/50 won’t cause you any financial stress go for it: You will enjoy handling it. You will also enjoy the images you take with it and you can be certain that there is no better for some applications applications. For example for landscape photography where speed isn’t important but sharpness, contrast, flare resistance and sunstars clearly make the AL 2/50 best in class and the images you take with it on a high resolution camera will hold up to gigantic enlargement.

But if you are in the more typical situation that this amount of money is a big investment to you I can only advise to not be blinded by the Voigtlander’s technical perfection. Other lenses give in my eyes nicer images for a wider range of uses. Take for example Voigtlander’s own 1.2/50 which is close in price and size but offers 1.5 stops more and also nicer bokeh. Sure the 2/50 AL is a lot better corrected but at the typical enlargements I find aberrations to be hardly ever an issue while speed and bokeh are easily visible in most images."

I suppose the same may be true of the 35mm f2 v 35mm f1.2.

These Voigtlanders are gorgeous lenses and maybe make my old film era lenses redundant.

Back