The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I know a some people don't like 3rd party batteries but I thought I'd just comment on this twin pack & charger I recently bought from eBay for £18, thats for two FZ-100 compatible batteries and triple charger. The listing was at £19.99 but I threw a cheeky 'best offer' of £18 which was accepted.

The batteries themselves are well made physically, no cheap plasticky sharp edges or anything to worry about. The charger weighs about the same as a sheet of paper, but great to have USB C as that's the same as pretty much everything these days instead of crappy Micro USB. Charging takes forever with 3 batteries in, so planning ahead is required. I waited until I had a full day shooting to test the battery life and I would guesstimate around 90% of my original Sony battery. Lasted 4/5hrs at RSPB Leighton Moss with the camera powered up for nearly all of that time. Also the battery shows the percentage on the A7iii and no battery warning on the A7iii when switching to these batteries. Not sure about the rules regarding sharing eBay sellers but a quick search for 'Oxkers FZ-100' should be easy enough to find.
s-l1600-1.jpg

So nobody is discussing the silent update to the A7R3 and A7R4 with the new higher res display. Both new SKU's are the same model number but with 'a' designation. Sounds like Sony have finally run out of supply of the lowest res screen on the market ;). Bit gutting for the early A1 buyers I would think.

Just seen some dude gets his brand spanking new A1 get taken of him and smashed to bits after he was taking photographs of the riots here. Hope he was well insured. Bit nuts here at the moment they just hijacked a bus and set fire to it.

Last edited:
So nobody is discussing the silent update to the A7R3 and A7R4 with the new higher res display. Both new SKU's are the same model number but with 'a' designation. Sounds like Sony have finally run out of supply of the lowest res screen on the market ;). Bit gutting for the early A1 buyers I would think.

I’d have thought they would have just discontinued the A7RiiI rather than give it an updated screen but I guess they keep older models available longer than other manufacturers. Guessing that means the A7iv will have the same screen when it finally arrives.

Wonder if they are going to do that with the A9/ A9II as well ....

These Voigtlander lenses do seem to have a certain character about them, almost photography film like.

I don't see that. I think when they're used on modern digital cameras the modern Sony mount Voigtlanders and old film era lenses give a different look because film had such an impact on the final look, arguably much more so than you'd see if you used a lens on a Sony A7 and then used the same one on a Canikon.

You can get a film like look with digital by fiddling post capture but nothing I've seen whilst using old lenses or modern Voigtlanders on digital cameras has made me think the lenses give the film look I got from the 35mm Kodak film I used and that IMO is down to the properties of the film. I think any film look is different to lens properties such as vignetting, fall off towards the edges, bokeh and all that and some of that will move over to digital but some of the lens look will be different film to digital as we've seen with some lenses because of sensor stack differences, recording medium flatness, the angle of light etc but the biggest differentiator for the look is I think due to the look the different films give/gave and the processing of digital. In my ho.

I think some modern Sony mount Voigtlanders do have a look, but I think that's just Voigtlander design priorities and compromises and nothing inherently to do with any film (Kodak, Fuji/whatever) like look. For example I think that Voigtlanders give a nice look at mid distance when the fall off as you move away from the central area can look nice and different from something modern from Sony which may be sharp across the frame and into the corners from wide open but with subjectively less nice fall off. I think I'd say the same for quite a few old lenses too which also give a nice look.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just the processing being used then, but to me they almost always seem to have a different look to the usual lenses (Sony, Sigma etc)

Perhaps it's just the processing being used then, but to me they almost always seem to have a different look to the usual lenses (Sony, Sigma etc)
Old lenses definitely have an old look to them, not necessarily a film look but an older look. From my experience they tend to have different colour tones, softer/not as clinical, and can have less contrast especially if shot towards a bright background. Some older lenses I love the rendering of (especially some of the old Leicas) but some not so much.

Old lenses definitely have an old look to them, not necessarily a film look but an older look. From my experience they tend to have different colour tones, softer/not as clinical, and can have less contrast especially if shot towards a bright background. Some older lenses I love the rendering of (especially some of the old Leicas) but some not so much.

I feel that way about my super-tak's and K series primes...

Generalising and there'll be exceptions but looking at older lenses v modern Sony ones the older ones and indeed some of the modern Voigtlanders and others are less likely to be sharp across the frame and into the corners at wide apertures but the differences may be less visible stopped down. I'd expect the bokeh to be different, maybe a little more funky at wide apertures but maybe actually more preferable when stopped down a bit due to the way the sharpness falls away with some lenses, there may be more vignetting, aberrations and the like and these all add up to give a look. There are differences between old and new lenses and the Sigma f1.4's I had for my Canon DSLR's too. All these things are a product of the way they've been designed and made.

One good example of a modern lens being designed for a look is maybe the Sigma 45mm f2.8 and unfortunately the way they designed it gives a nice look but also potentially gives the AF problems. Maybe some old lenses would give similar AF issues if we could AF with them due to under corrected SA, or whatever it is. These days under corrected SA is a design decision or maybe financial decision too whereas maybe in years gone they didn't have too much of a choice. I do think that film pictures often look different but it's the film and the lens combination and the same lens on a digital camera will IMO likely give a different look unless you dive into Nik filters to create that film look. As above, I think the type of film potentially has a much more visible effect than changing from Sony to something else.

Last edited:
I don't see that. I think when they're used on modern digital cameras the modern Sony mount Voigtlanders and old film era lenses give a different look because film had such an impact on the final look, arguably much more so than you'd see if you used a lens on a Sony A7 and then used the same one on a Canikon.

You can get a film like look with digital by fiddling post capture but nothing I've seen whilst using old lenses or modern Voigtlanders on digital cameras has made me think the lenses give the film look I got from the 35mm Kodak film I used and that IMO is down to the properties of the film. I think any film look is different to lens properties such as vignetting, fall off towards the edges, bokeh and all that and some of that will move over to digital but some of the lens look will be different film to digital as we've seen with some lenses because of sensor stack differences, recording medium flatness, the angle of light etc but the biggest differentiator for the look is I think due to the look the different films give/gave and the processing of digital. In my ho.

I think some modern Sony mount Voigtlanders do have a look, but I think that's just Voigtlander design priorities and compromises and nothing inherently to do with any film (Kodak, Fuji/whatever) like look. For example I think that Voigtlanders give a nice look at mid distance when the fall off as you move away from the central area can look nice and different from something modern from Sony which may be sharp across the frame and into the corners from wide open but with subjectively less nice fall off. I think I'd say the same for quite a few old lenses too which also give a nice look.

I can't wait till I get out with my Voigtlander 50mm, might stick it on the A9 and give it a go.

I can't wait till I get out with my Voigtlander 50mm, might stick it on the A9 and give it a go.
I’ve just bought a Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 Heliar. Funnily enough, in my m4/3 days I bought the f2.5 variant, then sold it back to the same chap. The person who sold me this one! Anyway, so far I’ve only tried it once, but it’s easily the sharpest lens I’ve ever seen. Only downside is that it’s Leica M mount, so no exif changes hands. But at least Leica M adapters are thin.

In other news, I have just ordered, from E-Infin, a new A7R2 for quite a good price. Be interesting to see how the Voigtlanders and the Loxia cope with the larger sensor.

I’ve just bought a Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 Heliar. Funnily enough, in my m4/3 days I bought the f2.5 variant, then sold it back to the same chap. The person who sold me this one! Anyway, so far I’ve only tried it once, but it’s easily the sharpest lens I’ve ever seen. Only downside is that it’s Leica M mount, so no exif changes hands. But at least Leica M adapters are thin.

In other news, I have just ordered, from E-Infin, a new A7R2 for quite a good price. Be interesting to see how the Voigtlanders and the Loxia cope with the larger sensor.

I have a helicoid Leica M adapter which is handy with the longer mfd.

Very nice. The processing has a cool looking vintage style. (y) How do you get the fade on the body to the bottom left, is that like a vignette or something?

Thank you, it is one of the many Nik Collection settings that I like. Once I start my people/street shots again it will be one of the ways I edit the image as really like the effect it gives.

I'd urge anyone to get the free Nik filters and see if they're any use. I don't use them a lot but as they're free...

Very nice. The processing has a cool looking vintage style. (y) How do you get the fade on the body to the bottom left, is that like a vignette or something?

This was a better shot, and using the same edit in Nic.

Portrait of Beauty by Rohan, on Flickr

I had an order processed Wednesday with delivery on Monday.....!

My order was placed on the 26th March so not quite so quick - that isn't a complaint as they do say on their web site that there could be up to a 14 day delay and I ordered something (Sigma 24-70) that isn't listed on their site.

I will miss Pentax in that it's been to so many places and taken so many photo's that I will always love - if the K3iii had been out 18 months ago I would never have switched, but now I'm just waiting for the LA-KE1 ....

Can anyone recommend a multi battery charger? The Sony one is a stupid price and the others all look like USB ones which I think are lower powered (ie slower) - ta

Last edited:

Just checked it and it's called, Antique Plate II the Antique Plate I is more B&W.
When I take some images of the Royal Pavilion I will do it with the Antique Plate II, as I think/hope it will look better.

hehehe :D

rAYdfDA.jpg

A7 and NK 50mm f1.4.

My order was placed on the 26th March so not quite so quick - that isn't a complaint as they do say on their web site that there could be up to a 14 day delay and I ordered something (Sigma 24-70) that isn't listed on their site.

I will miss Pentax in that it's been to so many places and taken so many photo's that I will always love - if the K3iii had been out 18 months ago I would never have switched, but now I'm just waiting for the LA-KE1 ....

Can anyone recommend a multi battery charger? The Sony one is a stupid price and the others all look like USB ones which I think are lower powered (ie slower) - ta

Not sure which body you have.

Two pictures, A7 and NK 50mm f1.4 at f1.4 and then Sony 35mm f1.8 at f1.8. Ok, they are very different pictures but I prefer the first.

hRwLvEZ.jpg

irV7L8Z.jpg

The coconut buns are lovely! :D I just ate a warm one and I don't care if it spoils me for dinner :D

Last edited:
Two pictures, A7 and NK 50mm f1.4 at f1.4 and then Sony 35mm f1.8 at f1.8. Ok, they are very different pictures but I prefer the first.

hRwLvEZ.jpg

irV7L8Z.jpg

The coconut buns are lovely! :D I just ate a warm one and I don't care if it spoils me for dinner :D

Very restrained. Only one....??

I've just been reading about an old 50mm f1.4 I fancy but one review said that the Canon FD was technically better... but "technically" isn't everything. But, I have that FD lens together with Oly Zuiko, Minolta Rokkor and two Nikon f1.4's so in all conscience, do I really need another 50mm f1.4. Hmmmm.

Hmmm, stick that on an extendable arm and it could make for some interesting macro shots with the different coloured lighting.

Yip, they aren’t that powerful so may need 2 for that.

They also have a police lights and ambulance lights mode probably best not to use that though.

Last edited:
Back