The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah the FE20/1.8 is a little beauty.
Though I am in two minds about it since it's not wide enough for me but it's really an awesome lens.

I've given up thinking like that.

When I look for lenses I look for ones in good condition and I probably pay over the odds although I do get a bargain now and again. But paying £xx to £xxx for a lens doesn't mean I think I'll get it or anything like it back at some point in the future, not in the sales section on this site anyway and I've never sold anything anywhere else. I did briefly advertise some lenses here at prices which I thought were below what the same lenses were going for on evil bay but there was no interest. I now just buy lenses in the expectation that if/when I die my relatives will just bin them or drop them off at some local charity shop.
If the forum doesn't continue the classifieds will be a massive loss for me. I have bought loads on here and because it is a knowledgeable crown the kit has been well described, arrived quickly and is usually a good deal less expensive than ebay meaning you can keep it a year or two and still sell without much or any loss on ebay or Gumtree etc.

I used to buy lots from the Fred Miranda forums when the dollar was 32 to the pound. Bargains aplenty and some lenses I had for 10 years and sold for roughly what I paid.

What was it you ordered?
I've ordered the a7c kit in Silver + 20mm f1.8
If they don't come in the couple of days, its a holiday here next Monday so that can be a further delay
The A7R2, to sit alongside my 7C.

I picked up the portable hard drive today.

20210414-175707.jpg

Is this the Lightroom Queen video I need?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PN1a4DKUmc

Dunno :thinking: I always have my raw on the main drive and then offload onto external drives once I've finished with them.

That sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie :oops: :$ God knows how they can do that with any kind of accuracy.
But it was. You could focus quickly and accurately on an individuals head in a crowd. Not developing it when digital came along was a big mistake IMO.

Last edited:
Receive the Samyang 75mm f1.8 today and took it out for 5 minutes. First impressions are good. Pretty sharp wide open and quick focus on my 5 years old running like a loon.

There wasn't a huge price difference between the Samyang 75mm f1.8 (I paid £269 new) and a sony 85m f1.8 (I think you can get one for £325? used). But decided to go for the Samyang for the smaller size and lighter weight.

Time will tell but so far so good.

Has anyone used the Samyang 100mm f2. 8 macro. Looking at one tomorrow in E mount and at 150 quid it will be perfect to quench my macro urges
AFAIK its a DSLR lens with a dumb adapter welded on to it. Even so £150 is a great price for it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it :D

Just remember to post your thoughts and pictures so we can persuade more people to spend their hard earned money on one :D

AFAIK its a DSLR lens with a dumb adapter welded on to it. Even so £150 is a great price for it.
That appears to be the case. Not sure it will be too big an issue for me as I have a viewfinder showing exposure and normally shoot everything in manual for exposure. I won't use it for portraits so for macro I would have been using manual focus and you are better with a manual focussing lens for that. I still have my Nikon kit for macro if this doesn't work out but the way Sony does manual focus is very intuitive and I really like the way the EVF zooms in on the focus point when you turn the focus ring. The D50s are gathering dust so it makes sense to move more of my kit to Sony and this can act as a stop gap until I see a deal on the Sony or Sigma Macro lenses.

That appears to be the case. Not sure it will be too big an issue for me as I have a viewfinder showing exposure and normally shoot everything in manual for exposure. I won't use it for portraits so for macro I would have been using manual focus and you are better with a manual focussing lens for that. I still have my Nikon kit for macro if this doesn't work out but the way Sony does manual focus is very intuitive and I really like the way the EVF zooms in on the focus point when you turn the focus ring. The D50s are gathering dust so it makes sense to move more of my kit to Sony and this can act as a stop gap until I see a deal on the Sony or Sigma Macro lenses.

At £150 it's a bargain. I don't think I have come across a bad macro lens especially at macro distances. So you can't go wrong with it.

I am currently using the AF-D 60/2.8 as my macro lens on Sony. Works pretty well.

Not sure it is, the one I see on a the reviews didn't look like it is an adapted lens.
1000-Samyang-100mm-f2-8-macro-1-1-umc-ed-handson-2_1436887129.jpg

That's the ED UMC. There then apears to be an ED AS UMC that does look like it has a built in adapter.

Not sure it is, the one I see on a the reviews didn't look like it is an adapted lens.
View attachment 315695

That's the ED UMC. There then apears to be an ED AS UMC that does look like it has a built in adapter.

As far as I can see on the Samyang website they only have one 100mm macro lens and its this one:

That lens is a DSLR design and any mirrorless variants of it will simply be a DSLR version with a dumb adapter welded on.

Think I decided on the Tokina macro lens, cheapest of the bunch that has full electronic control.

As far as I can see on the Samyang website they only have one 100mm macro lens and its this one:

That lens is a DSLR design and any mirrorless variants of it will simply be a DSLR version with a dumb adapter welded on.
The one I am buying looks like a dumb adapter. For the money that is fine by me as I shoot macro pretty much full manual even with AF lenses with contacts

OH happy days, should have my 1000mm lens in the next week or so :banana::banana::banana:

I didn't know there was a 1000mm lens. Are you planning to shoot wildlife grazing on the rings of Saturn? :)

I got a council house prime today, a Chinon 50mm f1.4 in PK mount and in very good condition. Some reviews say it's soft but I think it's just about par for the course sharp for a decent old film era lens in the central area. Stopping down a bit doesn't improve things too much but it's sharp at f5.6. There's some vignetting but again IMO par for the course. I haven't checked resistance to flaring yet but it says it's multi coated so hopefully it's again par for the course.

Anyway. Test shots about the house and I'll probably take it out for a road test tomorrow.

A7 and Chinon 50mm f1.4 at f1.4. The first two are just a bit short of minimum focus distance.

eqyvsyZ.jpg

HfrGMYA.jpg

This lens should perform quite well with a No.4 close up filter.

7rw9LNr.jpg

There's some outlining of bokeh balls but it's ok imo.

5aHHM2J.jpg

f5.6, just before infinity, at 100% it looks good enough to me.

Je2pbvn.jpg

I'm quite impressed with this. I looked at this lens as it's quite compact and cheap and some reviews say it's soft and I thought that might help the bokeh. IMO it isn't soft but the bokeh does imo look ok for a cheap old lens. I've got a 28mm f2.8 coming as I thought 28 and 50 might make a nice pairing.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a 1000mm lens. Are you planning to shoot wildlife grazing on the rings of Saturn? :)
neither did I, you read it here first. Sony leak :D

I'm going back to my first love of photography= Astrophotgraphy as did it for many years as a boy, so just got my self a Bresser Messier AR-102/1000 Refractor. So keep an eye open for the odd moon shots.

Is there a way of switching the colour of the indicated aperture on the EVF? On my 7C and now my 7R2 the set aperture is shown in red, which I simply cannot decipher. I’m reduced to looking on the screen, which kind-of defeats the object.

for £100 more you can get the sigma 105mm DN. I feel its definitely worth the £100 extra.
Got a link to somewhere with it for £599? Certainly be interested for that, I've only looked at E-infinity they have it for £699, bit for that id rather have the Sony 90mm for £719. But that's a big jump from the £499 for the Tokina

Got a link to somewhere with it for £599? Certainly be interested for that, I've only looked at E-infinity they have it for £699, bit for that id rather have the Sony 90mm for £719. But that's a big jump from the £499 for the Tokina

ah you are looking grey.... I was looking at UK prices.
Sigma grey prices generally don't seem to move that much for whatever reason. For example the 85mm f1.4 DN has been at £839 forever.
And the 105mm DN is same price UK and grey import.

It’s best to move files and folders using Lightroom’s own file management. You tell LR where to keep your catalogue within Preferences. If you search for “Lightroom Queen” she has prepared a document explaining how to move files, etc.

Yay, I've done it, it was actually easier than I though it might be. I had a couple of folders with about 700 photos to move from my internal drive. In the folders tab in LR library I clicked the + sign next to where it says Folders, then clicked 'Add Folder', then selected my external drive, then clicked 'New folder', named it, and then it was visible in LR under the folders tab in library. Then staying in the lightroom folders tab I dragged my folders from the C drive to the new folder in my external drive. I'm happy, my edits have all stayed intact and lightroom automatically moved my two folders off my C drive into the new drive. I didn't need to change anything with the catalogue, just left it on my internal drive.

It all went a bit Braveheart this morning with Scottish Photographers the length and breadth of the country waking up to alarm calls and crying Freedom but with a more authentic accent than Mel Gibson. High tide at 5am meant a run down the coast for me with North Berwick the first post lockdown venue.

Once again I struggled with the A7r IV. I remembered to turn compression off but forgot I was shooting in 4:3 and yet again shot in crop mode. Having only shot my dog with a long lens for a year my eyes simply don't pick up that the view is so narrow for a 24-70mm lens. Not to worry as the added depth of field probably helped me and there are still plenty pixels. I'd be rally annoyed if I got a killer shot though.

A lovely morning and I will practise again and get out of bed a bit earlier next time to allow a more relaxed set up. This morning I was a good twenty minutes later than I really wanted to be. The exposures were too short with a 10 stop but by the time I wrestled with the Bluetooth remote I may have missed a shot or two. I also had to work out how to turn noise reduction off as the first couple of shots took twice as long as they should. Today will be spent setting up C1 the way I want it to be for Landscapes so it is much simpler next time. So my struggles continue with the A7R Iv but it is down to me not using it rather than the camera. Now the lockdown has eased that will change and I hope to be up to speed and shooting some nice landscapes in the next few weeks.

North Berwick by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

They all very lovely despite the technical complexity issues Simon :D

It's another sunny blue sky but chilly day here today and I was hoping to be able to get out but unfortunately it's not going to be possible.

It all went a bit Braveheart this morning with Scottish Photographers the length and breadth of the country waking up to alarm calls and crying Freedom but with a more authentic accent than Mel Gibson. High tide at 5am meant a run down the coast for me with North Berwick the first post lockdown venue.

Once again I struggled with the A7r IV. I remembered to turn compression off but forgot I was shooting in 4:3 and yet again shot in crop mode. Having only shot my dog with a long lens for a year my eyes simply don't pick up that the view is so narrow for a 24-70mm lens. Not to worry as the added depth of field probably helped me and there are still plenty pixels. I'd be rally annoyed if I got a killer shot though.

A lovely morning and I will practise again and get out of bed a bit earlier next time to allow a more relaxed set up. This morning I was a good twenty minutes later than I really wanted to be. The exposures were too short with a 10 stop but by the time I wrestled with the Bluetooth remote I may have missed a shot or two. I also had to work out how to turn noise reduction off as the first couple of shots took twice as long as they should. Today will be spent setting up C1 the way I want it to be for Landscapes so it is much simpler next time. So my struggles continue with the A7R Iv but it is down to me not using it rather than the camera. Now the lockdown has eased that will change and I hope to be up to speed and shooting some nice landscapes in the next few weeks.

Awesome photos. The second one is gorgeous.

Very nice. Good to be out yeah? :) I really like the first pre-sunrise one ;)

I set the alarm for 1:30am this morning.....!! :oops: :$ :ROFLMAO:

Very nice set of landscape/seascape shots Simon, liking all of these very much.

Like those a lot, and they bring back memories of living down that way.

Simon, would you be able to tell me what filter I would need to do daytime long exposures that smooth out water and skies like yours, to fit my Sigma 16mm F 1.4 on a Sony a6600? Would one of those circular screw on ND filters work and if so, which one, how many stops would I need? Or do I need the more expensive kit with the square adapter plate thing and a slide in piece of glass?

Like those a lot, and they bring back memories of living down that way.
Simon, would you be able to tell me what filter I would need to do daytime long exposures that smooth out water and skies like yours, to fit my Sigma 16mm F 1.4 on a Sony a6600? Would one of those circular screw on ND filters work and if so, which one, how many stops would I need? Or do I need the more expensive kit with the square adapter plate thing and a slide in piece of glass?

I used a 6 stop and 10 stop ND. Both were Lee Square filters and I also had a polariser and grad on too. I could easily have shot then with a round screw in 10 stop and exposed for the sky and bring up the water or taken two exposure and blended them later.

If you are shooting during the middle of the day you may need a 15 stop but a 10 stop would get more overall use. I actually use my 6 stop more than the others as I tend to shoot when the light is pretty low and at fairly small apertures and iso.

The simplest way of finding out what filter is to look back at the photos you have taken and see what shutter speed you were using and how many stops less you would need to get a 30 second exposure, that is what these shots were.

This was taken with a 6 stop before the sun was up.
Boating Pond to Bass Rock Sunrise by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Back