The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

My free time in Saltburn, cold and wet and occasionally so windy it was hard to hold the camera. A7 and Takumar 50mm f1.4.

f3hkHNC.jpg

eit6hWu.jpg

exKPBla.jpg

Amazingly the place wasn't packed.

It seems to be a nice lens. Soft at f1.4 but still useable if he subject suits.

Last edited:
Anyone been to Alaska? We rearranged our holiday from last year to the end of August this year and we're cautiously optimistic about it. Even if we have to push it back again I will need a long lens for the trip (longest I have at the moment is the 70-180). The 200-600 is the obvious choice, but if the 100-400 is long enough then it's more appealing due to the size and weight but would appreciate your opinions.

I'm being a tad premature here as I'm struggling a little to get used to the A9 after my Pentax K5 - with that I never, ever considered changing the focusing point from the centre and it feels as though there are too many options on the Sony!

i have been, i used a 100-400 canon on a crop body canon was ok as far a i can remember . i had given up photography athe time so was just taking snaps, i think i would take the 200-600 if i went again, where abouts are you going and anything in particular you want to Shoot

yet samyang dock actually lets you micro-adjust too... go figure...

but the firmware updates especially in case for certain samyang lenses does greatly improve their AF performance. if your lenses are already latest fw its probably not worth the money.
I had long discussions with Nikon about micro-adjusting and they said micro-adjustments are not and have never been a way to correct lenses front/back focussing and that if your lens isn't focussing correctly it should be sent back for calibration. They said micro-adjustments are there to give the photographer control if they want focus to be different to the 'norm'.

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

Edit: Found the email.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 07.46.20
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
i have been, i used a 100-400 canon on a crop body canon was ok as far a i can remember . i had given up photography athe time so was just taking snaps, i think i would take the 200-600 if i went again, where abouts are you going and anything in particular you want to Shoot

We fly to Anchorage and then pick up a motorhome for a couple of weeks and will be following an itinerary something like this. Hoping to see wildlife and scenery (that's a bit vague isn't it?) :)

1620198605465.png

Thanks

I had long discussions with Nikon about micro-adjusting and they said micro-adjustments are not and have never been a way to correct lenses front/back focussing and that if your lens isn't focussing correctly it should be sent back for calibration. They said micro-adjustments are there to give the photographer control if they want focus to be different to the 'norm'.

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

Edit: Found the email.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 07.46.20
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Feels to me like you have misunderstood the message. MFA is available for (very) small amount of front/back focussing due to manufacturing tolerances between the distance from rear element to the imaging sensor plane and AF module (in an ideal world both distance should be the same but even knocking body slightly can misalign them ever so slightly).
MFA is never for optical issues or front/back focussing caused due to optical misalignment which is what your email also seems to suggest.

This is why Samyang providing MFA through a dock doesn't make sense. to some extent I think its in there because Sigma/tamron provided that feature in their docks which were for DSLR lenses and samyang just wanted to join the Kool kidz camp.

Also MFA isn't complicated its actually rather simplistic in what it does. If you do in camera you are telling the camera that the distance it thinks it's achieved focus at is that distance +/- MFA value (and it'll signal the lens accordingly but the lens doesn't know any better). If you do it in lens, the lens will move the focussing element by +/- MFA value you set in lens (and body doesn't know any better). do in both and you are overcompensating :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Feels to me like you have misunderstood the message. MFA is available for (very) small amount of front/back focussing due to manufacturing tolerances between the distance from rear element to the imaging sensor plane and AF module (in an ideal world both distance should be the same but even knocking body slightly can misalign them ever so slightly).
MFA is never for optical issues or front/back focussing caused due to optical misalignment which is what your email also seems to suggest.

This is why Samyang providing MFA through a dock doesn't make sense. to some extent I think its in there because Sigma/tamron provided that feature in their docks which were for DSLR lenses and samyang just wanted to join the Kool kidz camp.

Also MFA isn't complicated its actually rather simplistic in what it does. If you do in camera you are telling the camera that the distance it thinks it's achieved focus at is that distance +/- MFA value (and it'll signal the lens accordingly but the lens doesn't know any better). If you do it in lens, the lens will move the focussing element by +/- MFA value you set in lens (and body doesn't know any better). do in both and you are overcompensating :ROFLMAO:
I didn't because the question I asked prior to the reply was specifically talking about slight front/back focus, and why a mirrorless camera would need this adjustment with the focussing being on the sensor and this was the response to that (y)

For the record, I've always used it to correct front/back focus.

Last edited:
I didn't because the question I asked prior to the reply was specifically talking about slight front/back focus, and why a mirrorless camera would need this adjustment with the focussing being on the sensor and this was the response to that (y)

For the record, I've always used it to correct front/back focus.

mirrorless shouldn't/doesn't MFA and if it does then it'd indicate a lens issue or firmware issue not really an MFA issue.

mirrorless shouldn't/doesn't MFA and if it does then it'd indicate a lens issue or firmware issue not really an MFA issue.
Yes that was my point, and their response was that this feature has never been intended to be used for focussing errors and that it is purely for user preference of the focus point hence why it's still a feature in mirrorless.

As I said, don't shoot the messenger.

Yes that was my point, and their response was that this feature has never been intended to be used for focussing errors and that it is purely for user preference of the focus point hence why it's still a feature in mirrorless.

As I said, don't shoot the messenger.

think we are basically saying the same things, I was just missing the context from your email thread before it.

Canon and Sony do not provide this feature. I don't really understand the whole "user preference thing". what user will prefer to have their shots slightly out of focus? or is it there because nikon struggles to nail eye AF :p

Speak about user preference if you mount an EF-S lens on canon RF via. adapter it won't even let you turn off APS-C mode! it forces you to shoot in APS-C mode.

That's my thoughts too. Just been getting some prices for my 24-70mm f4.

Depending on how much you need that 24mm considering you already have 16-35mm I can also recommend tamron 28-200mm. Of course it only achieves 15fps with your A9ii

Last edited:
think we are basically saying the same things, I was just missing the context from your email thread before it.

Depending on how much you need that 24mm considering you already have 16-35mm I can also recommend tamron 28-200mm. Of course it only achieves 15fps with your A9ii
I think the 24mm will come in more useful than the extra reach tbh.

for anyone that cares... looks like Sony a-mount is finally officially coming to an end

Unsurprising, but note the US site does still list A-Mount lenses, and the UK site still has 4 A-Mount cameras listed (A99ii, A99, A77ii, A68).
I suspect it's a case of slowly shifting stock, and they've reached the point were they just have a few left to be used as a source for spares in the US.

Unsurprising, but note the US site does still list A-Mount lenses, and the UK site still has 4 A-Mount cameras listed (A99ii, A99, A77ii, A68).
I suspect it's a case of slowly shifting stock, and they've reached the point were they just have a few left to be used as a source for spares in the US.

I think a-mount lenses will be listed for a little while longer. As far as Sony is concerned they have support for those lenses via. various adapters they sell.
A few EU sites also has these for sale.
A-mount - 1985 - 2021 :(

I think a-mount lenses will be listed for a little while longer. As far as Sony is concerned they have support for those lenses via. various adapters they sell.
A few EU sites also has these for sale.
A-mount - 1985 - 2021 :(

Took a few frames with my Minolta 7000 at the weekend.

So do LCE and MPB here in the UK :)

As it's quiet...

I was just thinking about my old CS5. It keeps telling me that udpates are available but whenever I try they always crash, every single time. So, I was just wondering what else is available. I did try Lightroom once and hated it so that's deffo not on he list of possibilities. I tried to download CC once as I wanted to try the moire brush I'd read about but that also crashed and failed to install and Adobe where as ever no help at all. I could persist, pour a nice hot cup of tea an try and see why CC wont install but I'm not sure if I'll get enough benefit to justify £9.98 a month. Also, I have a long memory and trouble getting over Adobe's complete indifference when I had issues installing CS2 on a new computer and deeply resented giving them more money for CS5 so the thought of giving them any more money at all hurts. But I suppose they're all like that.

Also with CC what happens if you can't get on line? Can you still process pictures?

Is there anything else people would recommend instead of adobe stuff?

Some nice cash back savings

Argh - the struggle is real.
My 40th in a couple of weeks, other half asking what I'm after!

Head says 70-200 f/2.8 @ £1,700 w/ cash-back, heart says 200-600 at £1,500 with cashback
Mounting on A7R2 if it makes a difference.

Second heart says DJI Mini 2...

Head says 70-200 f/2.8 @ £1,700 w/ cash-back, heart says 200-600 at £1,500 with cashback

Where are you seeing those prices. I see the £300 cash back for the 70-200 but that only takes it down to £1800 on the sites I have looked at

We fly to Anchorage and then pick up a motorhome for a couple of weeks and will be following an itinerary something like this. Hoping to see wildlife and scenery (that's a bit vague isn't it?) :)

View attachment 317636

Thanks

The scenery is spectacular and a chance to see the northern lights, we didnt see them. you should see plenty of Bald eagles caribou moose etc highlight for me were Grisley bears catching salmon

You only need one heart, sell the other one and get all three.

I'm still wanting a 70-200mm but am waiting to see if Sony and/or Sigma bring out anything this year. The Sigma seems to have had some serious delays.

As it's quiet...

I was just thinking about my old CS5. It keeps telling me that udpates are available but whenever I try they always crash, every single time. So, I was just wondering what else is available. I did try Lightroom once and hated it so that's deffo not on he list of possibilities. I tried to download CC once as I wanted to try the moire brush I'd read about but that also crashed and failed to install and Adobe where as ever no help at all. I could persist, pour a nice hot cup of tea an try and see why CC wont install but I'm not sure if I'll get enough benefit to justify £9.98 a month. Also, I have a long memory and trouble getting over Adobe's complete indifference when I had issues installing CS2 on a new computer and deeply resented giving them more money for CS5 so the thought of giving them any more money at all hurts. But I suppose they're all like that.

Also with CC what happens if you can't get on line? Can you still process pictures?

Is there anything else people would recommend instead of adobe stuff?
Well, to start with, I’m a very happy Lightroom Classic user. Yes, the nominal price is just under a tenner a month, which to me is good value considering all the updates. But there are many legitimate ways of extending your membership at no charge so the actual cost becomes much less.

However, the best alternative I have tried is DXO. Not as intuitive (to me) but good results. Or you can look at ON1, which plenty people rate. There are free trials for both of these.

Well, to start with, I’m a very happy Lightroom Classic user. Yes, the nominal price is just under a tenner a month, which to me is good value considering all the updates. But there are many legitimate ways of extending your membership at no charge so the actual cost becomes much less.

However, the best alternative I have tried is DXO. Not as intuitive (to me) but good results. Or you can look at ON1, which plenty people rate. There are free trials for both of these.

ta.

I'm just reading a summary of "the best" raw processors as I'd forgotten the big names on the market. I see Rawtherapee is still going, I had that years ago.

If I move on from CS5 I think I'd prefer a one off payment package rather than a cloud based subscription.

ta.

I'm just reading a summary of "the best" raw processors as I'd forgotten the big names on the market. I see Rawtherapee is still going, I had that years ago.

If I move on from CS5 I think I'd prefer a one off payment package rather than a cloud based subscription.

If I were starting from scratch then I'd just go with On1 photoraw. Much more powerful than lightroom, and manages the image development just as well these days. No upscale tool as yet, but it can't be far away.

If I were starting from scratch then I'd just go with On1 photoraw. Much more powerful than lightroom, and manages the image development just as well these days. No upscale tool as yet, but it can't be far away.
My take on ON1, based purely on the spam they keep sending me, is that its main benefit is the recipe-based manipulation of images. But I've yet to try its RAW capabilities, unlike DXO, which does seem rather good.

My take on ON1, based purely on the spam they keep sending me, is that its main benefit is the recipe-based manipulation of images. But I've yet to try its RAW capabilities, unlike DXO, which does seem rather good.

I posted an image comparison a couple of years back using lightroom, DXO optics pro and On1. Many liked On1. I suspect you can request to be removed from the mailing list, but I get spam from all the software makers I've tried, even those I didn't buy from. At least On1 continuously include links to videos with new tutorials and methods in their spam.

Cheapest is £1999 so with £200 that makes it £1799 (y)
70-200 f2.8 has £300 cashback. It would be the equivalent of £1699 at camera world. Cameraworld are a bit cheeky and include the cashback in the advertised price but add it back on at checkout.

Back