The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

doesn't really do a side by side comparison and technical tests side by side.
i haven't found one so far and kinda kicking myself for not doing one when I very briefly had both.
Agreed, some of those 100-400mm shots look pretty ropey too :oops: :$

Yeah we're going to start off small. My stepfather knows Elan Valley well but probably best to hold off traversing it at 3am so will start off local at first. Fingers crossed we get to see Devil's Bridge whilst I am there also :).

Last edited:
Thank you. If you compare that location on the light pollution map to most of Wales..... You should be fine ;)
what time of the day did you take this picture?

I live like 10 miles on the borders to Wales, should really try one of these....I have the gear, location, just need to get my ass out the door.
or someone to organise a wedding at midnight :D

The Online Photographers verdict on the A6600.

He makes a big thing of the build quality.

Last edited:
Prompted by a post in another thread...

This isn't a great picture, just a record shot taken from the other side of the road in pouring rain the other day.

Saltburn mortuary.

HwIYWR5.jpg

Why someone was allowed to buy this grade II listed building and then seemingly leave it to rot I don't know. Surely something could and should be done as it's now just rotting away and is very largely ignored to the point that many I'd guess now don't know it's there.

Short article. It was still in use until the early 70's.

It was at one time also a photography studio, I didn't know that.

Last edited:
On the subject of the 200-600G, if you guys knew how many times I've had that thing in my basket over the last 12m :LOL:

When I got my Sigma 150-600c I wasn't as into bird photography as I am now and of course back then there was no Sony 200-600. So it's become pretty much my favourite genre of photography since and I use my Sigma 150-600 all the time, it's proved the best value lens I have bought for the amount of use it gets. So, what puts me off the 200-600 you might ask? Well the price is kind of a turn off being more than double what my Sigma cost, size annoys me a little, I know most people love having internal zoom for sealing benefits but I can chuck my Sigma in and A7iii in a small backpack when I head out to walk the dog and the Sony lens would require more planning/bigger backpack etc. On the positive side, the autofocus for moving animals/birds including in flight would definitely have a higher hit rate with the Sony lens. I don't see much difference in sharpness or image quality in general but that's subjective and can depend so much on so many variables. The sample variation really worries me too.

I guess I would like to see Sigma and Tamron release something native that went to 600mm, but looking at how Tamron have massively overpriced their new 150-500mm lens I am holding out less and less hope in that area. I think for now I will carry on with my Sigma and MC-11....

DSC02523-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
On the subject of the 200-600G, if you guys knew how many times I've had that thing in my basket over the last 12m :LOL:

When I got my Sigma 150-600c I wasn't as into bird photography as I am now and of course back then there was no Sony 200-600. So it's become pretty much my favourite genre of photography since and I use my Sigma 150-600 all the time, it's proved the best value lens I have bought for the amount of use it gets. So, what puts me off the 200-600 you might ask? Well the price is kind of a turn off being more than double what my Sigma cost, size annoys me a little, I know most people love having internal zoom for sealing benefits but I can chuck my Sigma in and A7iii in a small backpack when I head out to walk the dog and the Sony lens would require more planning/bigger backpack etc. On the positive side, the autofocus for moving animals/birds including in flight would definitely have a higher hit rate with the Sony lens. I don't see much difference in sharpness or image quality in general but that's subjective and can depend so much on so many variables. The sample variation really worries me too.

I guess I would like to see Sigma and Tamron release something native that went to 600mm, but looking at how Tamron have massively overpriced their new 150-500mm lens I am holding out less and less hope in that area. I think for now I will carry on with my Sigma and MC-11....

DSC02523-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

i too had the sigma and its a great lens and i ummed and arred about the sony then bit the bullet and got a good deal on black friday i agree image quality is pretty similar , but i seem to get more keepers with the sony , the main benefit for bif shots is the zoom you can zoom in and out with your thumb to find the bird, definatly get more shots with the sony the is seems better on the sony, the af is better being native although mc-11 does a decent job. i see you are in cumbriai am going up for a holiday at the end of may and you are welcome to try the Sony

i too had the sigma and its a great lens and i ummed and arred about the sony then bit the bullet and got a good deal on black friday i agree image quality is pretty similar , but i seem to get more keepers with the sony , the main benefit for bif shots is the zoom you can zoom in and out with your thumb to find the bird, definatly get more shots with the sony the is seems better on the sony, the af is better being native although mc-11 does a decent job. i see you are in cumbriai am going up for a holiday at the end of may and you are welcome to try the Sony

Thanks for the offer and good to hear from someone who has used both lenses. Where abouts are you going/staying?

Has anyone got a FE/E fit fish eye that's no longer required?

I had a Samyang 12mm f/2.8 for a while bought from here was decent for the money but manual focus off course think the only other option is to buy the 28mm with the adaptor lens but it’s not a proper fish eye. Would get another fisheye if there was a good a.f option available just for giggles.

A proper fish eye and and a tilt shift still don’t seem to be a priority for Sony or the third party brands, I guess they only sell in small numbers.

Last edited:
I had a Samyang 12mm f/2.8 for a while bought from here was decent for the money but manual focus off course think the only other option is to buy the 28mm with the adaptor lens but it’s not a proper fish eye. Would get another fisheye if there was a good a.f option available.
why do you need AF for fisheye?

Anyway if anyone is looking for a good fisheye the TTartisan 11mm f2.8 fisheye is native, sharp and reasonably sized too. Manual lens of course.
if you are willing to adapt then Olympus OM 16mm f3.5 is really nice and small but like hen's tooth especially to find a good clean copy.

why do you need AF for fisheye?

Anyway if anyone is looking for a good fisheye the TTartisan 11mm f2.8 fisheye is native, sharp and reasonably sized too. Manual lens of course.
if you are willing to adapt then Olympus OM 16mm f3.5 is really nice and small but like hen's tooth especially to find a good clean copy.

I would only consider an a.f version as I wanted it for the odd photo at weddings. Manual focus isn’t a good option. Too much going on and other stuffed missed.

I had a Samyang 12mm f/2.8 for a while bought from here was decent for the money but manual focus off course think the only other option is to buy the 28mm with the adaptor lens but it’s not a proper fish eye. Would get another fisheye if there was a good a.f option available just for giggles.

A proper fish eye and and a tilt shift still don’t seem to be a priority for Sony or the third party brands, I guess they only sell in small numbers.

I had my eye on the 12mm, hard to find secondhand.

Ill look into those options @nandbytes thank you.

Just be careful if you are looking at the Samyangs there is also a 12mm f/2 but it’a for APSC it’s the f/2.8 version version that is full frame.

I kind of regret letting it go now, as you say there isn’t a huge amount of them around used.

Keep an eye out for the version branded Wallimex and Rokinon as well, same thing.

Last edited:

one of these:

you can even get 10% off if you buy two :ROFLMAO:

reviews:
(He has actually done a comparison with samyang 12mm fisheye)

Dustin Abbot:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OlN9YoPupI

Phillip Reeve

It's a decent lens. Slightly soft corners at f2.8 which it nicely sharpens up by f4. Actually the concerns aren't as bad as Marc thinks it is because there is some field of curvature in play. So if you focus for the corners or mid frames, even at f2.8 it's perfectly usable and sharp enough.
You will definitely not miss the weight of the samyang ;)

It is the only decent fisheye option available for FF mirrorless IMO.

Last edited:
So I've been plotting this....

Where is that Chia? by barrysprout, on Flickr

Years ago I worked for Systime computers and at one time I did the UK repairs for CDC SMD drives. As far as I remember there were two that you could desk or trolley mount and one high capacity drive that came trolley mounted. I think they might have been 20 and 40mb with the trolley mounted one being maybe 80mb. Even the lower mp count ones were so heavy it too two of us to lift them. One day when there was no one to help me I tried to pick an SMD drive up by myself and as a result I have a back injury to this day. The metal bashers worked further down in same room and they hated us electronic guys (they thought we were too posh and privileged) and as my station was near the walkway they used to turn the kit I was soak testing off as they walked by which was nice of them.

Later when I worked for DPCE the first batches of "Winchesters" arrived and I think they were 20mb, anyway they lost half their capacity once you mapped out the bad tracks.

It's amazing how far we've come.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson :D

Last edited:
one of these:

reviews:

Dustin Abbot:

Phillip Reeve

It's a decent lens. Slightly soft corners at f2.8 which it nicely sharpens up by f4. Actually the concerns aren't as bad as Marc thinks it is because there is some field of curvature in play. So if you focus for the corners or mid frames, even at f2.8 it's perfectly usable and sharp enough.

Super cheap those :oops: :$

Will not ship to Gods land aka Northen Ireland though.(n)

Just be careful if you are looking at the Samyangs there is also a 12mm f/2 but it’a for APSC it’s the f/2.8 version version that is full frame.

I kind of regret letting it go now, as you say there isn’t a huge amount of them around used.

Keep an eye out for the version branded Wallimex and Rokinon as well, same thing.

Yup there's also a 8mm APSC one, not ruled that out.

one of these:

reviews:

Dustin Abbot:

Phillip Reeve

This post is awesome, thank you so much. Pretty much what I was looking for, I'll watch that later but I think you've found me the one!

Years ago I worked for Systime computers and at one time I did the UK repairs for CDC SMD drives. As far as I remember there were two that you could desk or trolley mount and one high capacity drive that came trolley mounted. I think they might have been 20 and 40mb with the trolley mounted one being maybe 80mb. Even the lower mp count ones were so heavy it too two of us to lift them. One day when there was no one to help me I tried to pick an SMD drive up by myself and as a result I have a back injury to this day. The metal bashers worked further down in same room and they hated us electronic guys (they thought we were too posh and privileged) and as my station was near the walkway they used to turn the kit I was soak testing off as they walked by which was nice of them.

Later when I worked for DPCE the first batches of "Winchesters" arrived and I think they were 20mb, anyway they lost half their capacity once you mapped out the bad tracks.

It's amazing how far we've come.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson :D

My first hard drive was a 20mb for my Amiga, it sat nicely between the computer and the Dot Matrix printer :)

The 2.5 drive which I destroyed for the picture was a 2TB :D

Yup there's also a 8mm APSC one, not ruled that out.
This post is awesome, thank you so much. Pretty much what I was looking for, I'll watch that later but I think you've found me the one!

the samyang 8mm/2.8 is probably the best fisheye I have had also my favourite out of the lot. its a slightly better lens too than the ttartisans. but like you say its only APS-C.

Back