The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have a panasonic GX9 and it is a great little camera. Auto-focus, size of lenses is great, video works good, in the right condition iso is good.
I own 7.5mm f2, 15mm f1.7, 42,5mm f1.7. The all lot fit in a tiny bag.

In picture the GX9 is not that much bigger that the A7iii but actually in hand it feel a lot smaller.

Sure the sensor can make the next leap forward that would be great. But i would never buy something like a G9 it is too bulky and way too much money for that system...
Now I have a sony A7iii I need to sell all my panasonic stuff but I do like it more that it is worth just yet.

Last edited:
Well thanks @nandbytes, decided to go for the TTartisan 11mm fish eye. I didn’t know it existed until you mentioned it.

Purchased from eBay and they say it’s coming from UK but I’ve got a sneaky feeling it’s coming from a bit further away.

I would be interested to read your thoughts on this lens Tim- once you try it out, Im considering getting one too

Les :)

Well thanks @nandbytes, decided to go for the TTartisan 11mm fish eye. I didn’t know it existed until you mentioned it.

Purchased from eBay and they say it’s coming from UK but I’ve got a sneaky feeling it’s coming from a bit further away.

No problems. I hope you get it soon :)

I have a panasonic GX9 and it is a great little camera. Auto-focus, size of lenses is great, video works good, in the right condition iso is good.
I own 7.5mm f2, 15mm f1.7, 42,5mm f1.7. The all lot fit in a tiny bag.

In picture the GX9 is not that much bigger that the A7iii but actually in hand it feel a lot smaller.

Sure the sensor can make the next leap forward that would be great. But i would never buy something like a G9 it is too bulky and way too much money for that system...
Now I have a sony A7iii I need to sell all my panasonic stuff but I do like it more that it is worth just yet.

They are nice cameras and operate like sports cars but the lack of DR against even my A7 is there to be seen and they just can't match the image quality. I hardly ever use mine now but I'll be sad if they go as I've been with MFT since the GF1. Panasonic have upset me at times though, the shutter shock debacle was an absolute disgrace, they sold cameras and lenses they knew were affected by shutter shock in bundled kits. Disgraceful. Plus they held off on implementing auto ISO with exposure compensation in manual when other companies had offered it for some time.

The ideal for me would be an A7 sensor in a GX9 body (and keep the speed of operation) but with a much better evf than the GX9 has.

Never heard of him, but sorry he's not well.

I've been reading and watching for years. He is/was one of the best on line IMO and his postings were usually informative, to the point, cutting even and at times funny. He's posted a lot of MFT related stuff but his memories, insights and posting on photography in general have IMO been very good.

He has a brief "about me."

Last edited:
I had a cracking day at Haggerston Castle photographing Bird of Prey. First time I have ever went on a photo workshop and it was excellent and pretty good value. Shot with A9 and A7R IV with 100-400 and 135 GM. Cameras and lenses both did great but I had a wobble with a memory card that stopped working. No issues barring 2 greyed out files on my PC but it would not write to the card in the camera. I'll reformat and try again tomorrow. The issue may have been caused by pulling a battery too early when the card was being written to but not sure

A9_02987 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_02697 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_02530 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
A9_02504 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Looking at getting a used A9, are there any issues or problems I should be aware of? Many thanks, Andy.

Looking at getting a used A9, are there any issues or problems I should be aware of? Many thanks, Andy.
I bought one from ebay a while back. I am moving from D850s. It never felt right in the hand initially but now fits like a glove. I have used quite a fecameras and it is my favour rite out of all. I have the choice of D850, A7R iv and an A9 at the moment and the A9 nearly always gets the nod. I paid 1830 with a 3rd party grip 6 months or so ago

I bought one from ebay a while back. I am moving from D850s. It never felt right in the hand initially but now fits like a glove. I have used quite a fecameras and it is my favour rite out of all. I have the choice of D850, A7R iv and an A9 at the moment and the A9 nearly always gets the nod. I paid 1830 with a 3rd party grip 6 months or so ago

Stop it!

:D

Mrs WW wanted a picture of these orchids to send to her mam.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 at f5.6.

IxEkIoo.jpg

I think Mrs WW can grow anything. I've asked her to grow a Twin Peaks bar tree :D

The weather here was lovely when I got up, perfect really, but it's dulled over now to business as usual. No point taking a camera out at the moment.

I've tidied this one up and have I think finished now. I used to have a lot of car pictures framed and up on the wall but I took them down when we redecorated and I got to like the minimalist look so they never went back up. I think I might put some pictures back up but maybe not A3 this time, I think I'd consider framing this one as I love the place.

h3bYs1y.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Question about printing.

Who prints?
I used to but I seem to have stopped. I used to print for myself and if anyone asked me for a picture as some in the family still frame pictures and put them on the wall. I used to do a calendar every year but that's drifted away too.

Who frames and puts them on a wall and if so what size?
I think if I put any up they'll be less than A3.

I've thought about some books, I got a wedding album made up and have thought about doing some more, family stuff, Saltburn, things like that. Anyone do books?

As a little boy I use to love bending wire and coat hangers for fun, then last year in lockdown for some chilling out I made this out of one bit of wire. Just a quick snap with the A7 III + 35mm.

Bike by Suzie Law, on Flickr

That's excellent Dave. (y) I imagine it would take quite a bit of time to bend that wire into shape.

Hmmm. Question about printing.

Who prints?
I used to but I seem to have stopped. I used to print for myself and if anyone asked me for a picture as some in the family still frame pictures and put them on the wall. I used to do a calendar every year but that's drifted away too.

Who frames and puts them on a wall and if so what size?
I think if I put any up they'll be less than A3.

I've thought about some books, I got a wedding album made up and have thought about doing some more, family stuff, Saltburn, things like that. Anyone do books?

I do, I print various sizes up to A3+ and I do put them on the wall.

My missis does albums/books mostly with 6x4 prints. She uses the canon selphy printer for this purpose and it works rather well.
I do like going through them with the family. its a bit old school but we enjoy it so we continue doing it :)

Only printed one for myself ever, 30x20 then framed with a mount. It's about the size of a 42" TV.

My printer is an Epson r2880 and I've had a love hate relationship with it :D

I seemed to be getting on well with my previous PC and printer and initially with the Epson but when changing pc I ran into the dreaded dark print issue which seems common with Epson or at least was at the time, and that took an age to wade through. I do like being in control of image quality but I never trust the pc and printer before doing a small test print first.

Another issue was a message that the waste ink reservoir was full. I bought a one off reset and fitted a printer potty. It's amazing how much ink these things don't put on the paper.

I like that :D
That's excellent Dave. (y) I imagine it would take quite a bit of time to bend that wire into shape.

It was fun I must say, things used to help me were screwdrivers and a bottle to keep the wheel shape. I still own another bike and a motorbike I made when growing up. Will put a shot of each in.

I do, I print various sizes up to A3+ and I do put them on the wall.

My missis does albums/books mostly with 6x4 prints. She uses the canon selphy printer for this purpose and it works rather well.
I do like going through them with the family. its a bit old school but we enjoy it so we continue doing it :)

The book I got made up was an online thing through Jessops. I'm quite pleased with the quality.

Mrs WW is good at doing collages and slideshows on the pc. I think I'm beginning to miss having a few picture up though.

Last edited:
It was fun I must say, things used to help me were screwdrivers and a bottle to keep the wheel shape. I still own another bike and a motorbike I made when growing up. Will put a shot of each in.

How long does it take to work out how to make it and how long to make it?

The book I got made up was an online thing through Jessops. I'm quite pleased with the quality.

My missus prints things and sticks them in albums she buys separately.
I did offer to have it printed like a book but she likes writing on them and making notes etc.
It has a more "personal pictorial dairy" type feel for us so we keep it that way.
She even hand draws on the front of the album with colour pens, something relating to the "story" in the album.

Its a very time consuming process but she keeps herself busy doing his kinda stuff and who am I to stop her lol.

Last edited:
Speaking of making things, one of my neighbours has been giving me slices of homemade cake, so last night I reciprocated and made them my homemade shortcrust pastry and pear almond tart and I whipped up some cream to top it with. It's pretty yummy if I say so myself :)

My homemade Pear Tart 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

My homemade Pear Tart 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

My printer is an Epson r2880 and I've had a love hate relationship with it :D

I seemed to be getting on well with my previous PC and printer and initially with the Epson but when changing pc I ran into the dreaded dark print issue which seems common with Epson or at least was at the time, and that took an age to wade through. I do like being in control of image quality but I never trust the pc and printer before doing a small test print first.

Another issue was a message that the waste ink reservoir was full. I bought a one off reset and fitted a printer potty. It's amazing how much ink these things don't put on the paper.

I stopped doing home printing years ago. The cost of running an ink cart with good paper vs how little I print, it wasn't worth it. I did have a A3 printer, not sure where that's gone now! I did find the paper the other week.

I figure for me it is best to spend the money to get it professionally printed (it cost less than an ink cart), and print it LARGE. Printing though is the cheap part, frames is the expensive bit. I like wood frames, with mounts and glass over plastic (I notice lately I rather pay more to have less plastic) so the frames you are looking at above, they are all bespoke at a local printer and they cost between £200/300 each depending on size/mount/wood. It's sealed at the back too and can't change it.

Last edited:
Side point, i have been meaning to make a travel photo book. I have the software i use for wedding album designs, i have a Loxley account, i should just do it.

While growing up in Australia these two I made, think I was about ten maybe 12 yrs old and they are the only two that came over with us in 72 as had quite a few things I'd made.

Everyday after school for about 2 months I made this Chopper.

Chopper by Suzie Law, on Flickr

This bike took about 2 weeks I think again everyday after school.

Pushbike by Suzie Law, on Flickr

I stopped doing home printing years ago. The cost of running an ink cart with good paper vs how little I print, it wasn't worth it. I did have a A3 printer, not sure where that's gone now! I did find the paper the other week.

I figure for me it is best to spend the money to get it professionally printed (it cost less than an ink cart), and print it LARGE. Printing though is the cheap part, frames is the expensive bit. I like wood frames, with mounts and glass over plastic (I notice lately I rather pay more to have less plastic) so the frames you are looking at above, they are all bespoke at a local printer and they cost between £200/300 each depending on size/mount/wood. It's sealed at the back too and can't change it.

Home printing is expensive and can be a right PITA but at least you're in control of quality. Apart from the wedding album the only other picture I've had printed professionally was a disaster as it was way too dark and this wasn't a calibration issue at my end as I printed the picture at home and it was fine. I didn't bother going back, just wrote it off. That experience did put me off but the wedding album has maybe restored some confidence as it's fine. I've had most of my pictures professionally framed but for the last on I just bought the frame and did it myself and no one commented on how it stuck out as a DIY, so I'd deffo think about home printing and DIY framing again.

Side point, i have been meaning to make a travel photo book. I have the software i use for wedding album designs, i have a Loxley account, i should just do it.

It's something I keep thinking about doing.

I know these days most people view on tablets and phones never mind anything larger but being a bit fashioned maybe I do like a physical picture or book.

Back