The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Years ago I worked for Systime computers and at one time I did the UK repairs for CDC SMD drives. As far as I remember there were two that you could desk or trolley mount and one high capacity drive that came trolley mounted. I think they might have been 20 and 40mb with the trolley mounted one being maybe 80mb. Even the lower mp count ones were so heavy it too two of us to lift them. One day when there was no one to help me I tried to pick an SMD drive up by myself and as a result I have a back injury to this day. The metal bashers worked further down in same room and they hated us electronic guys (they thought we were too posh and privileged) and as my station was near the walkway they used to turn the kit I was soak testing off as they walked by which was nice of them.

Later when I worked for DPCE the first batches of "Winchesters" arrived and I think they were 20mb, anyway they lost half their capacity once you mapped out the bad tracks.

It's amazing how far we've come.

Hope you enjoyed the history lesson :D
Not just history but memories. When I was an op in the 70s and 80s most were fixed drives, but at one bank I worked at we had disk packs - IBM, I think they were 3310 with swan-neck handles - and they were heady 65Mb models. If you took them off before they'd properly stopped they had a gyro effect and you went staggering around the computer room. Oh what fun we had! If we were working the night shift we did job-and-finish. If a test program was spoiling our early finish we kept switching the drive on and off till the programme aborted. I ended up marrying one of the programmers, but that's another story.

Last edited:
WEX have the 50 f/1.2 back in stick if anyone is looking one.

At least the lenses seem to get stocked in the UK not too long after panamoz has it :p
With camera bodies its a completely different story!

I am tempted....so that my OCD is satisfied with 24, 35, 50 and 85GM at least. lol

I am still gonna wait a couple of months. I want to make sure there are no teething problems and I just don’t need it at the moment.

Not bad at all, Lee
Well done ;)

Great effort.
Love the subtle tones in #1.
Also really like #3.

Thanks guys. :) Yeah, I'm trying to get more subtlety into my colours and tones now rather than be heavy handed and over saturate. I really like the sweeping sky and ice water effect nd filters give.

Now get yourself to a waterfall Lee.

Yeah. I was at one at kyoto garden in holland park but people were continually blocking the view taking selfies and I wasn't allowed to set my tripod up. :facepalm: I'll have to travel further out of London to find a waterfall.

Last edited:
A7 III + FE 35mm f1.8. Still won't take a camera out till I know it really is safe to do so.

I've been out but there was no point taking a camera as the light is as usual just dead with complete cloud cover.

When I went out with Susie the sky was just white and yucky here.

I've been thinking about buying myself something for my birthday (50mm f1.2? 35mm f1.4? Voigtlander 50mm f1.2? Sony 24mm f2.8?) but the last few days have persuaded me I shouldn't bother as I get so little time and the weather is often frankly crap.

I've been thinking about buying myself something for my birthday (50mm f1.2? 35mm f1.4? Voigtlander 50mm f1.2? Sony 24mm f2.8?) but the last few days have persuaded me I shouldn't bother as I get so little time and the weather is often frankly crap.
that's why you need the 50mm f1.2 GM :D
all the terrible weather will be out of focus :ROFLMAO:

that's why you need the 50mm f1.2 GM :D
all the terrible weather will be out of focus :ROFLMAO:

Dead flat light is just that no matter what lens is mounted. For some pictures the light wont matter but I'm not trying to capture anything where the moment / event is everything and the light doesn't matter, just pictures of my local area and I have about a zillion of those in light like todays.

I do like 35/50mm but I have the Sony 35mm f2.8 and f1.8 and 55mm f1.8. Other than that I have the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2. Some of those lenses have clear weaknesses mainly fringing against a bright background (Sony 35 and 55mm f1.8's and the Voigtlander 35 and 40mm) which CS5 seems completely ineffective against so that's one area I could improve on but in reality this wont matter unless looking closely at big prints.

See this...

A7 and Voigtlander 40mm at f1.2.

mV57fnG.jpg

Just in case it isn't obvious there it should be here at 50%.

DGb9r8A.jpg

I don't know if the Sony 35 or 55mm f1.8's would be any better in this sort of scenario and it'll go at some point when stopping down...

f8.

Dz5pIS4.jpg

and of course how many pictures will I want with a bright background at f1.x? Possibly not many. Plus I've shown that f1.2 to a few people now and no one can see the problem :D

What to do? :D

Last edited:
I don't know. I have a GX9 and GX80 so that's the 20mp and 16mp sensors.

To be honest I've no idea what the latest body is but I'd be a bit surprised if the image quality has taken a big step forward.

PS.
AFAIK they're still using the 20mp sensor, don't know about the 16mp one.

yep they are still using the 20mp sensor apparently even in the new GH5II. Looking at leaked specs, think the new body gives a new meaning the phrase "incremental upgrade".
you should sell your m43 while it still has some value. The lack of innovation and development from both Panasonic and Oly is kinda doom and gloom if you ask me.

A1, 25GM and 50GM.

I wouldn't go straight to the 35GM for a more even focal coverage, I would go for an 85 or 135 next but honestly......you should know what you like and thus what you need.
Anyone rocking an A1 should already know what they want in their lineup.

Anyways for me I have everything I need and stuff would only get upgraded rather than buying a new focal length I don't have.

Man I'm still rocking batis primes as an example lol

Until I put the Sony through in a proper environment I still put the Canon L mk2 the best, but not quite when adapted on the Sony mount though.
I'm still using art 35mm. Such a great lens.

The GM I would only get if I really fancied a lighter 1.4.

Then again I have the 1.8 Sony Lol

yep they are still using the 20mp sensor apparently even in the new GH5II. Looking at leaked specs, think the new body gives a new meaning the phrase "incremental upgrade".
you should sell your m43 while it still has some value. The lack of innovation and development from both Panasonic and Oly is kinda doom and gloom if you ask me.

I might advertise some when I get around to it but stuff just doesn't seem to be moving here and I keep thinking that I might as well keep it as sell it for peanuts. The long lenses come in for garden visitors and the cameras are good for social occasions as they're small, blisteringly fast and have a built in flash. I've been thinking of trying to sell most and just keeping one camera and two or three lenses.

I might advertise some when I get around to it but stuff just doesn't seem to be moving here and I keep thinking that I might as well keep it as sell it for peanuts. The long lenses come in for garden visitors and the cameras are good for social occasions as they're small, blisteringly fast and have a built in flash. I've been thinking of trying to sell most and just keeping one camera and two or three lenses.

You need to give things more than 2 days to sell ;)

Perhaps a RX10M4 would be a better fit for the odd garden birds and social occasions. By the time you have sold your m43 gear while there still some demand you can probably pay for most if not all of RX10M4.

You need to give things more than 2 days to sell ;)

Perhaps a RX10M4 would be a better fit for the odd garden birds and social occasions. By the time you have sold your m43 gear while there still some demand you can probably pay for most if not all of RX10M4.

Those are expensive cameras. It'd probably take all of my MFT gear plus some cash and I'd end up with a less flexible camera with lower image quality. It'd make more sense to sell all my MFT and buy an A7III but that camera is relatively large and relatively intrusive and doesn't have a flash so I'm back to needing an A7x plus something else.

I used my TZ100 at a party a while back and the pictures are ok, certainly better than anything anyone got from a phone but there's a delay between pressing the shutter and the flash firing and taking the picture, much more so than with MFT. The more I think about it the more keeping one MFT camera and a couple/few lenses makes sense. GX9, 17mm f1.8, 14-42mm, 45-150mm maybe 9-18mm but not sure about that one.

Those are expensive cameras. It'd probably take all of my MFT gear plus some cash and I'd end up with a less flexible camera with lower image quality. It'd make more sense to sell all my MFT and buy an A7III but that camera is relatively large and relatively intrusive and doesn't have a flash so I'm back to needing an A7x plus something else.

I used my TZ100 at a party a while back and the pictures are ok, certainly better than anything anyone got from a phone but there's a delay between pressing the shutter and the flash firing and taking the picture, much more so than with MFT. The more I think about it the more keeping one MFT camera and a couple/few lenses makes sense. GX9, 17mm f1.8, 14-42mm, 45-150mm maybe 9-18mm but not sure about that one.

I thought your Panasonic 100-400mm alone would get you close to price of an RX10M4.

Image quality wise M43 won't be much better than RX10M4 tbh. only lens you can't replace is the 17mm f1.8 (but you have sony A7 for that anyway).
Otherwise the RX10M4 lens is f2.8-4 which more than a stop faster than M43 lenses you are referring to including the 100-400mm.
you have 24-600mm range with decently fast zoom lens. no pain with maintaining two lens systems or lens changes etc. it uses the same batteries as your A7. Keep your A7 for primes and you have one camera for all your zooming.
Makes a lot of sense to me tbh and that's what I'd do in your shoes especially with that 60th birthday and a treat coming up ;)

Last edited:
I have the 1" TZ100 and MFT is clearly better if you want to push the files and look closely. Yup, I have 35mm lenses for my A7 but my A7 focuses and shoots at about 1/10th the speed of MFT and MFT can shoot silently and with a flash. An A7III would shoot silently but still no flash and although I've never tried one I doubt it'll match the speed of MFT and even if it could (IMO unlikely) it's a relatively large SLR styled camera whereas MFT is smaller with a much smaller lens. I think I'll keep something MFT until it konks as IMO and for me for social indoor use there's no replacement. The TZ100 almost gets there but it's just not as quick and the aperture range means using the flash a lot more.

Anyway. Something I struggle with... loving B&W.

The odd one, yes, maybe even lovely, but I don't think I could ever do B&W exclusively or even regularly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkq8Tq9w3oA

I see in colour, I dream in colour and mostly I want to capture colour.

Seems to fit...

"And every day you gaze upon the sunset
With such love and intensity
Why it's almost as if
If you could only crack the code
You'd finally understand what this all means

But if you could
Do you think you would trade it all?
All the pain and suffering?
Ah, but then you'd have miss
The beauty of the light upon this earth
And the sweetness of the leaving"

I have the 1" TZ100 and MFT is clearly better if you want to push the files and look closely.

TZ100 has a slow lens. the lens on Sony RX10M4 is about 1.25 stops faster. MFT has about 1 stop stop advantage which is lost due to the slower zooms you are using on them. yes you can use faster zoom but they'd be bigger and expensive.
was just a thought anyway :)

Nah, no sale :D

I like my A7 but I still want something for occasions when an A7 type camera is too much or unsuitable, like indoor social snaps and I don't think an RX10 is it. The TZ100 is a sort of decent fit and is more than sharp enough at indoor people picture distances and it is faster in use than a smartphone.

MFT stuff I may try and sell at some point, Oly 25 and 45mm f1.8, Panny 12-35mm f2.8, Oly 9-18mm, Panny 100-400mm. Panny GX80. Keep, GX9, 14-42mm, 45-150mm, 17mm f1.8.

Back