The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
When I bought My A7C from Panamoz, who had price-matched E-Infin, it was despatched by FedEx. When it didn’t arrive, Panamoz immediately arranged a replacement to be sent out by UPS. The total delay from first expected delivery date to successful delivery was 7 days. Plus they generously gave me a compensation payment without me asking. Now that’s customer service.

They have already give me a hefty discount so wouldn’t expect any compensation. Just want my lens.

The 50GM saga continues :banghead:

Yesterday FedEx said it can't be located and they believe it is lost/stolen and that they can't help me any further and that the sender needs to contact them so that it can be escalated to a claim.

This morning Panamoz say this isn't correct and it is being held by customs and so are refusing to provide a refund or replacement. So I phoned back Fed Ex and they said that Panamoz is wrong and the parcel is lost.

Less than impressed with Panamoz which is disappointing as I have been using them for at least 7/8 years and have spent 60-70k with them. Won't be using them again if this can't be resolved.

Yesterday FedEx said it can't be located and they believe it is lost/stolen and that they can't help me any further and that the sender needs to contact them so that it can be escalated to a claim.

This morning Panamoz say this isn't correct and it is being held by customs and so are refusing to provide a refund or replacement. So I phoned back Fed Ex and they said that Panamoz is wrong and the parcel is lost.

Less than impressed with Panamoz which is disappointing as I have been using them for at least 7/8 years and have spent 60-70k with them. Won't be using them again if this can't be resolved.
Very disheartening.

I would tend to trust panamoz over fedex from my past experiences. That being said, I would contact fedex by email (if possible) to confirm so that you have it in writing and then send this to Panamoz. I'm sure once Panamoz have confirmation the package is lost they'll send a replacement.

I would tend to trust panamoz over fedex from my past experiences. That being said, I would contact fedex by email (if possible) to confirm so that you have it in writing and then send this to Panamoz. I'm sure once Panamoz have confirmation the package is lost they'll send a replacement.

Have already done this.

Panamoz now saying they will provide a refund on Friday.

I won't be using or recommending Panamoz again. My last order with them was fine but the one before that was also a mess. The level of service they provide is not what it used to be.

Last edited:
Have already done this.

Panamoz now saying they will provide a refund on Friday.

I won't be using or recommending Panamoz again. My last order with them was fine but the one before that was also a mess. The level of service they provide is not what it used to be.
That's a shame, I've always had great service from them.

Just wondering, but say it was actually stuck in customs and FedEx were talking out their hole, would that not put you in a position to pay the Duty and get the lens, whilst still receiving a replacement? I'm just trying to think in the shoes of Panamoz, maybe they didn't want to into it before being 100% sure?

I would be so angry if that happened to me- I hope it gets resolved soon Tommy :)

Les

Just wondering, but say it was actually stuck in customs and FedEx were talking out their hole, would that not put you in a position to pay the Duty and get the lens, whilst still receiving a replacement? I'm just trying to think in the shoes of Panamoz, maybe they didn't want to into it before being 100% sure?

I don't know FedEx seem pretty adamant that the parcel is lost/stolen, they can't find it. Maybe it will turn up at some point but they said they have searched for it.

It's annoying but I guess I will get my money back eventually. Panamoz aren't willing to replace just refund which also fires up a bit of a red flag as I find that a bit odd as they are still showing them in stock.

I don't know FedEx seem pretty adamant that the parcel is lost/stolen, they can't find it. Maybe it will turn up at some point but they said they have searched for it.

It's annoying but I guess I will get my money back eventually. Panamoz aren't willing to replace just refund which also fires up a bit of a red flag as I find that a bit odd as they are still showing them in stock.
Just an idle thought, but maybe Panamoz have new staff who haven't bought into the Panamoz ethos of good customer service, OR maybe the management have decided to become more ruthless in the light of falling profits? Either way, it makes me wary of using them again.

Just an idle thought, but maybe Panamoz have new staff who haven't bought into the Panamoz ethos of good customer service, OR maybe the management have decided to become more ruthless in the light of falling profits? Either way, it makes me wary of using them again.

But who to use instead?

Anything through the post could be problematic if thefts from UK customs are rife as suggested and repeated problems could brown off any overseas supplier and make them tetchy.

E
But who to use instead?

Anything through the post could be problematic if thefts from UK customs are rife as suggested and repeated problems could brown off any overseas supplier and make them tetchy.
Exactly.
If something goes missing, they provide a refund.
Might be an inconvenience, but as long as purchasers are not out of pocket.
That's the chance you take when buying grey....
Having said that, I'd be annoyed if I'd spent £60k with them, and I couldn't get a replacement sent out and have to wait several days for a refund.

Last edited:
Tbh I don't see much of a problem here in terms of the service. If you are in panamoz's shoe (or any seller's shoe) you will want to wait a few days more to see if it actually turns up.
Has happened to me a few times while posting stuff using Royal Mail in recent times and things did eventually magically turn up.
This parcel may well be lost but asking to wait about 2 weeks before declaring it lost to provide a refund all sounds reasonable to me.

Its shipping from the other end of the world, there's bound to be some mishaps on some packages along the way and risk is higher which means wait times for refunds and such is higher too. If someone doesn't like waiting perhaps its best to buy in the UK where the seller is only a phone call away. And all parcels can be better tracked through the system.

Why they are refusing to send out a replacement I do not know. Are they plain refusing to sell stuff to him now or are they simply refusing to send another item out while this one is still up in the air?
Honestly I wouldn't believe what fedex or UPS or any of the camera companies say. Many times I have had supposedly lost parcels turn up.

but I do sympathise with @f/2.8's ordeal here. I can only hope its all sorted by end of the week and move on.

Last edited:
E

Exactly.
If something goes missing, they provide a refund.
Might be an inconvenience, but as long as purchasers are not out of pocket.
That's the chance you take when buying grey....
Having said that, I'd be annoyed if I'd spent £60k with them, and I couldn't get a replacement sent out and have to wait several days for a refund.
I’m not sure if it’s a buying grey thing, anything ordered online can go walkies. I’ve had several items go missing over the years, none of which were imports (y)

But who to use instead?

That is the question. Unfortunately I have had similar experiences with a couple of certain large UK retailers also, and it proved problematic getting a swift resolution. I have no issues at all with buying grey, as long as they continue to provide the service I expect. Maybe for Panamoz I am so used to exemplary service from them this strange, out-of-character, behaviour puzzles me. Fortunately or unfortunately, I shan't be buying much in the near future for fiscal reasons. (I'm skint!). :oops: :$

That is the question. Unfortunately I have had similar experiences with a couple of certain large UK retailers also, and it proved problematic getting a swift resolution. I have no issues at all with buying grey, as long as they continue to provide the service I expect. Maybe for Panamoz I am so used to exemplary service from them this strange, out-of-character, behaviour puzzles me. Fortunately or unfortunately, I shan't be buying much in the near future for fiscal reasons. (I'm skint!). :oops: :$

I've been lucky so far as I've bought a few things from grey sellers and never had a problem. I agree with the comment above that this could be an issue with any item sent through the post but of course internal post within the UK could evade the thieving swine at customs, if this is in fact the problem.

Just for those who don't agree with using grey sellers, I do see the point and apart from the usual cheap items from China bought off evil bay I've only ever done it to get kit which wasn't readily available in the UK.

Last edited:
Maybe for Panamoz I am so used to exemplary service from them this strange, out-of-character, behaviour puzzles me.

I really do not see what has been so bad in all this on Panamoz's side. They have been responsive and been clear of the steps they wish to follow inc. giving a date for when the refund will be processed.

Yup.

It's annoying and inconvenient but I think that time is the only thing that will be lost here. I do expect the supplier to make good... in time.

I really do not see what has been so bad in all this on Panamoz's side. They have been responsive and been clear of the steps they wish to follow inc. giving a date for when the refund will be processed.

They haven't been responsive.

2 days to reply to an email isn't great as far as I am concerned, they never responded at all to the first email I sent when I realised there was a problem.

They also were not very helpful in their first responses either.

They only offered a refund when I said that was fine I would raise a paypal claim.

They want to wait an additional 4 days before processing a refund even though I have provided written proof from the delivery company showing that they believe the parcel is lost/stolen. Parcel has been down as lost/stolen since Friday evening that is 4 days now.

You might be happy with that, I am not.

Last edited:
I can't see the issue with Panamoz, Im guessing they have to be sure it is missing before they do anything. I think the pandemic has had an effect as even Amazon have lost stuff for me recently, and they are not as quick to refund, or send out replacements as they used to be...

Not really competion for the FE 200-600mm though - in my opinion :)

Yep agree, but I have the same feeling for this as I do for the Sigma 100-400

They are not white
They are lighter
They are not white
They are cheaper
Quality is nearly there
They are not white :)

I have no idea why telezooms are white, I also have no idea why I hate white lenses with such passion, but they could have the most amazing image quality and I would never buy one just because of the colour of the lens. Completely admit my hate is irrational and makes no sense - I don't understand it either...
There are lens decals, but both the lenses extend so that doesn't work for me..

#rantover

I read that it does have a practical purpose and that it's to do with heat. They're white to reduce the possible effect being exposed to the sun could have.

This is correct black lenses left in the sun for a long period of time get very hot. White lenses don't attract heat in the same way.

4 days?

I remember when retailers tells me 28 days for a refund.

And you are covered by Paypal, so there will not be a loss. It sucks but not something to get worked up about.

We are spoilt by Amazon and their customer service these days.

4 days?

I remember when retailers tells me 28 days for a refund.

And you are covered by Paypal, so there will not be a loss. It sucks but not something to get worked up about.

We are spoilt by Amazon and their customer service these days.

Yes I will get the money back of course as I will raise a claim for it.

I am not getting worked up, just really disappointed in the poor response from them and the way that they have dealt with this so far and another issue someone else is having with them at the moment. I could say a lot more here but I know they are monitoring via Google Alerts when there name is mentioned so I will wait until my issue is resolved before saying any more.

Hope you get it sorted but don't forget you have 7-8 years of good service with them, yes one bad experience can tarnish it but that's a lot of good ones to throw it all away.

Finger crossed.

It is a little strange that they won't send a replacement out yet they will refund. Maybe they are having a lot of problems with FedEx (and possibly others), so are not wanting to send anything until they've found a different logistics company - but then wouldn't that affect new orders as well? I suppose none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

They haven't been responsive.

2 days to reply to an email isn't great as far as I am concerned, they never responded at all to the first email I sent when I realised there was a problem.

They also were not very helpful in their first responses either.

They only offered a refund when I said that was fine I would raise a paypal claim.

They want to wait an additional 4 days before processing a refund even though I have provided written proof from the delivery company showing that they believe the parcel is lost/stolen. Parcel has been down as lost/stolen since Friday evening that is 4 days now.

You might be happy with that, I am not.

That does seem unusual, is it a member of staff you recognise who is dealing with this? Customer service is so critical for them, it's the only reason I used them for the 35mm 1.4 but had it been after reading this it would have put me off to be honest as the savings for lenses aren't that good when there actually is a saving. Different story for bodies though.

Regardless, it's still a hell of an anti-climax when it's something you are really looking forward to.

Yes I will get the money back of course as I will raise a claim for it.

I am not getting worked up, just really disappointed in the poor response from them and the way that they have dealt with this so far and another issue someone else is having with them at the moment. I could say a lot more here but I know they are monitoring via Google Alerts when there name is mentioned so I will wait until my issue is resolved before saying any more.
Obviously you know all the ins and outs of the scenario and what’s been said, but the service they appear to have offered is much better than what I’ve had when items have gone missing from other sellers. I’ve sometimes had to battle for weeks and then wait even longer for a refund or replacement :(

It is a little strange that they won't send a replacement out yet they will refund. Maybe they are having a lot of problems with FedEx (and possibly others), so are not wanting to send anything until they've found a different logistics company - but then wouldn't that affect new orders as well? I suppose none of us know what is going on behind the scenes.

That does seem unusual, is it a member of staff you recognise who is dealing with this? Customer service is so critical for them, it's the only reason I used them for the 35mm 1.4 but had it been after reading this it would have put me off to be honest as the savings for lenses aren't that good when there actually is a saving. Different story for bodies though.

Regardless, it's still a hell of an anti-climax when it's something you are really looking forward to.
They use a variety of couriers and I think it depends on which speed of shipping the item is sent. Mine’s being send via DPD and it’s a slower delivery to keep costs down (y)

Just received a phone call from FedEx parcel has been seized for under paid customs duty. They won't tell me how much is owed and I can't pay it myself. It will be held indefinitely until the sender contacts them, if they don't contact them it may be destroyed.

Last edited:
Customs world wide seem to be very slow at the moment might be Covid or brit exit but a lot of our Gimbal sales are taking longer often there just sat in Customs going by the tracking numbers .
Rob.

Just received a phone call from FedEx parcel has been seized for under paid customs duty. They won't tell me how much is owed and I can't pay it myself. It will be held indefinitely until the sender contacts them, if they don't contact them it may be destroyed.
Customs have been very strict since Brexit (from my experience), I’ve had several items delayed by customs since we left the EU all which did make their way to me without further charge fortunately (all EU sellers). I do wonder though if this will become more and more of a problem for grey importers.

Back