The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I got a Canon 50mm f1.8 SC today. I already have the FD version which is probably optically the same but I just fancied this breach lock version for the more obvious metal build and feel. I have a Miranda 24mm f2.8 Macro in breach lock and the two lenses will make a nice pairing for a day out.

Anyway, one of the first pictures I took. My usual model :D and this time cooking a full English breakfast but with vegi sausage and bacon and home made fruit bread.

5XxTjW3.jpg

I thought the minimum focus distance seemed a bit long but I compared it to the FD and it's the same. Like all these lenses it seems perfectly adequate for use from wide open but the corners are poor at wide apertures by todays standards. Stopped down it improves.

Last edited:
Tried ordering the 200-600mm from E-infinity last night, got all the way to verifying my credit card and the page errored out.

Sigma 150-600mm Sport ... just an inquisitive sparrow.

DSC02089_Jpg by Michael Pursey, on Flickr
Mine did that when I ordered, then got a txt from my bank saying they had blocked the transaction and to reply to the txt to allow it. I then had to go through the order process again and it went through fine.

Not for me, wouldn’t make any sense as there are other, cheaper lenses that either go wider or longer.
But you said you shoot mainly in the 70-140mm range :p

Haha I’ll give you that, I did. But I do have shots at 300mm +
If the Tamron isn't long enough the Sony 100-400 is a superb lens for lots of things, however if you are only interested in landscapes the Sigma 100-400 might be a good alternative. It is 300g lighter than the Gm and slightly smaller. I doubt there will be much in it between the lenses for landscapes and it is much cheaper as well as the weight and size saving. I'd pair that with the 24-105 and do panos for the occasions I needed wider. Do you shoot many shots wider than 24mm up the hills.

If the Tamron isn't long enough the Sony 100-400 is a superb lens for lots of things, however if you are only interested in landscapes the Sigma 100-400 might be a good alternative. It is 300g lighter than the Gm and slightly smaller. I doubt there will be much in it between the lenses for landscapes and it is much cheaper as well as the weight and size saving. I'd pair that with the 24-105 and do panos for the occasions I needed wider. Do you shoot many shots wider than 24mm up the hills.

I actually already have the Sigma 100-400 and 24-105 combo. Looking to replace either the 24-105 to the 28-200 or the 100-400 to the Tamron 70-300.

Idea is to save some weight and be able to travel lighter when required.

I actually already have the Sigma 100-400 and 24-105 combo. Looking to replace either the 24-105 to the 28-200 or the 100-400 to the Tamron 70-300.

Idea is to save some weight and be able to travel lighter when required.
One of the main advantages of owning a high Res body is you can travel lighter because you can just crop.
You said you didn't want to do that.... I'd still questions why you need more than 20mp?
It's not like you are particularly worried about DoF since you are using slower zooms. Yes you lose a bit of IQ but it's not end of the world especially if you are shooting at low ISOs and/or on a tripod. It's basically equivalent to using a APS-C body and they are more than capable

One of the main advantages of owning a high Res body is you can travel lighter because you can just crop.
You said you didn't want to do that.... I'd still questions why you need more than 20mp?
It's not like you are particularly worried about DoF since you are using slower zooms. Yes you lose a bit of IQ but it's not end of the world especially if you are shooting at low ISOs and/or on a tripod. It's basically equivalent to using a APS-C body and they are more than capable
Would the better quality optics of something like the 24-105mm allow crops that would give similar IQ to using an 'all-in-one' like the 28-200mm when viewed at 'normal' size?

Would the better quality optics of something like the 24-105mm allow crops that would give similar IQ to using an 'all-in-one' like the 28-200mm when viewed at 'normal' size?
28-200mm cropped to 300mm will definitely be better than 24-105 cropped to 300mm.
Also there isn't any difference in IQ between 24-105 and 28-200mm in the middle of the image. So you still get a very good quality image in APS-C crop mode.

24-105mm isn't actually all that much better than 28-200mm despite latter being a "all-in-one" type lens. Its main advantage is in corners which is only really visible on a high res sensor.

Last edited:

I don't mind cropping, but wouldn't have a lens set up that meant I'd need to use the camera in APS-C mode, makes no sense IMO and I use it on very rare occasions.

However, that's not really what this was about, it was about getting suggestions on the two options I have.

28-200mm cropped to 300mm will definitely be better than 24-105 cropped to 300mm.
Also there isn't any difference in IQ between 24-105 and 28-200mm in the middle of the image. So you still get a very good quality image in APS-C crop mode.

24-105mm isn't actually all that much better than 28-200mm despite latter being a "all-in-one" type lens. Its main advantage is in corners which is only really visible on a high res sensor.
Yeah I get the former, I was just meaning if he wanted more reach rather than buying a new lens the 24-105mm cropped might give a similar result (y)

I don't mind cropping, but wouldn't have a lens set up that meant I'd need to use the camera in APS-C mode, makes no sense IMO and I use it on very rare occasions.

However, that's not really what this was about, it was about getting suggestions on the two options I have.
I'd go with option two - 16-35mm f4, 24-105mm, Tamron 70-300. The Tamron is a good bit lighter than the 100-400 and that would win for me given you don't shoot that tight very often. Half a kilo over a long walk soon adds up. Although I would probably leave the 16-35 in the house too unless you already knew you would use it

There certainly is, in particular these two are fantastic!
For me, the sample pictures on that site are often just that, sample pictures but I think this lot are worth looking at on their own worth not just for any gear assessing worth.

I'd go with option two - 16-35mm f4, 24-105mm, Tamron 70-300. The Tamron is a good bit lighter than the 100-400 and that would win for me given you don't shoot that tight very often. Half a kilo over a long walk soon adds up. Although I would probably leave the 16-35 in the house too unless you already knew you would use it

I was leaning that way for a while, the more I thought about it I considered the weight issue. I then thought with the 28-200 I could effectively have a lighter lens than the 24-105, and sometimes leave the longer lens at home just using the 28-200 to give an ultra light weight kit.

I'm a little reluctant to get rid of the 100-400 in all honesty as I love that lens, shame it's not just a bit smaller and lighter haha.

I was leaning that way for a while, the more I thought about it I considered the weight issue. I then thought with the 28-200 I could effectively have a lighter lens than the 24-105, and sometimes leave the longer lens at home just using the 28-200 to give an ultra light weight kit.

I'm a little reluctant to get rid of the 100-400 in all honesty as I love that lens, shame it's not just a bit smaller and lighter haha.
Have you used it for any type of action. I'm pondering my options as having the 100-400, 200-600 and 400mm F2.8 seems overkill and I could get around a grand by swapping the 100-400 to the Sigma that could be used for an A1

The 100-400mm is pretty special (y)

I'm seriously considering an Alpha 1. Can anyone who has one tell me if the reality lives up to the hype. I am doing more and more sports so mostly interested in how it handles action but also starting to do more bird photography so that perspective would interest me too. The good and the bad please

I'm seriously considering an Alpha 1. Can anyone who has one tell me if the reality lives up to the hype. I am doing more and more sports so mostly interested in how it handles action but also starting to do more bird photography so that perspective would interest me too. The good and the bad please

have a look at these. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128826866@N06/

Just a beach scene at Marske. A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

qkKno8Q.jpg

I was at nearby Redcar yesterday and watched one of these tractors set off without a trailer and they look serious fun. It looked quite quick and there looked to be some serious torque too. I also watched a hatch back and trailer set off and recover an inflatable boat from the sea which looked to me to be a much riskier operation as just maybe it could have got stuck. One patch of unfriendly sand and that would be it. It's not something I'd attempt in a run of the mill road car. Not if the tied was anywhere near turning.

Last edited:
Just a beach scene at Marske. A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

qkKno8Q.jpg

I was at nearby Redcar yesterday and watched one of these tractors set off without a trailer and they look serious fun. It looked quite quick and there looked to be some serious torque too. I also watched a hatch back and trailer set off and recover an inflatable boat from the sea which looked to me to be a much riskier operation as just maybe it could have got stuck. One patch of unfriendly sand and that would be it. It's not something I'd attempt in a run of the mill road car. Not if the tied was anywhere near turning.
That looks like a lovely beach, Alan. I wish I was close to one, would be great for some ND filter long exposure shots and some black and whites.

Great selection of images there and no doubt the A1 is working brilliantly for you. Liked that lots were with the 200-600 too as I have that lens and would like it to be my birding lens. Is the bird af working well for you and how do you find the AF in general, can you compare it to other models. Your flickr doesn't show exif for older shots and they are all excellent images too,(D850 perhaps) I guess I am trying to justify a 5 grand purchase when I already have two great camera in the A7R IV and the A9. I loved my old D850s in that they were cameras for everything and I don't quite think the A7R IV or A9 quite hits those heights albeit they beat the D850 in more specific ways by a margin. The A1 looks like a camera that if it stays working might not need to be upgraded. What else would I ever need is what I am thinking so it becomes more like a big lens purchase. I can't imagine updating the Sony 400mm F2.8 for at least a decade so despite the high purchase price I get lots of use so more value. The A1 seems to me to have hit the point where phones and PCs have where you won't really bother about future models as this one does pretty much everything

Last edited:
Great selection of images there and no doubt the A1 is working brilliantly for you. Liked that lots were with the 200-600 too as I have that lens and would like it to be my birding lens. Is the bird af working well for you and how do you find the AF in general, can you compare it to other models. Your flickr doesn't show exif for older shots and they are all excellent images too,(D850 perhaps) were they with the A1. I guess I am trying to justify a 5 grand purchase when I already have two great camera in the A7R IV and the A9. I loved my old D850s in that they were cameras for everything and I don't quite think the A7R IV or A9 quite hits those heights albeit they beat the D850 in more specific ways by a margin. The A1 looks like a camera that if it stays working might not need to be upgraded. What else would I ever need is what I am thinking so it becomes more like a big lens purchase. I can't imagine updating the Sony 400mm F2.8 for at least a decade so despite the high purchase price I get lots of use so more value. The A1 seems to me to have hit the point where phones and PCs have where you won't really bother about future models as this one does pretty much everything
Thanks but not my camera. Just someone I follow.

Great selection of images there and no doubt the A1 is working brilliantly for you. Liked that lots were with the 200-600 too as I have that lens and would like it to be my birding lens. Is the bird af working well for you and how do you find the AF in general, can you compare it to other models. Your flickr doesn't show exif for older shots and they are all excellent images too,(D850 perhaps) were they with the A1. I guess I am trying to justify a 5 grand purchase when I already have two great camera in the A7R IV and the A9. I loved my old D850s in that they were cameras for everything and I don't quite think the A7R IV or A9 quite hits those heights albeit they beat the D850 in more specific ways by a margin. The A1 looks like a camera that if it stays working might not need to be upgraded. What else would I ever need is what I am thinking so it becomes more like a big lens purchase. I can't imagine updating the Sony 400mm F2.8 for at least a decade so despite the high purchase price I get lots of use so more value. The A1 seems to me to have hit the point where phones and PCs have where you won't really bother about future models as this one does pretty much everything
I'd hire one. In my opinion I doubt you will see a noticeable difference from your existing kit, however you may prefer it?

I had the A7RIV before and swapped to A1 because it really is the first "do-it-all" camera or one that get's closest to being one.
I'd take A1 over A7RIV+A9 any day.
With the 400mm f2.8 prime I can only imagine how amazing a wildlife combination that would be. Could never fully afford that prime (not now anyway).

Last edited:
I had the A7RIV before and swapped to A1 because it really is the first "do-it-all" camera or one that get's closest to being one.
I'd take A1 over A7RIV+A9 any day.
With the 400mm f2.8 prime I can imagine how amazing a wildlife combination that would be. Could never fully afford that prime (not now anyway).
I got it for £7k or 2xD850, Nikon 400mm F2.8 plus other lenses, flashes etc. Huge investment but I have went with buy once and save money theory. If I could go to a single camera I would sell the A9 and A7R IV today. However I need two bodies to cover sport. The next difficulty will be what camera do I sell A9 or A7R Iv. The A9 would be better for sport but I'm not sure I fancy using an A1 when I am standing in the sea with waves coming in round me and a tripod pushed into the sand.

I got it for £7k or 2xD850, Nikon 400mm F2.8 plus other lenses, flashes etc. Huge investment but I have went with buy once and save money theory. If I could go to a single camera I would sell the A9 and A7R IV today. However I need two bodies to cover sport. The next difficulty will be what camera do I sell A9 or A7R Iv. The A9 would be better for sport but I'm not sure I fancy using an A1 when I am standing in the sea with waves coming in round me and a tripod pushed into the sand.
I have an A1 and A7C.
if you just want a camera as a backup you can get cheaper A7 models. I know they aren't the latest and greatest in terms of AF but IQ is still top notch and they still capable.\

having said that I was used my A1 in the scenario you mentioned

Last edited:
That looks like a lovely beach, Alan. I wish I was close to one, would be great for some ND filter long exposure shots and some black and whites.

It is a lovely beach. It runs from the cliffs at Saltburn through Marske and Redcar and beyond. At low tide you can even go round the cliffs at Saltburn.

I'm not a long exposure silky water shot lover though as I like a bit of captured movement, it makes the picture more real to me.

I only shoot in manual and mostly birds it is the best camera iv had it does take a bit of setting up but i'm not that tech savvy so that's down to me 30fps and the 50 mps for cropping really does help with birds .
I use bbf and have 2 buttons set up 1 is on tracking Zone and the other is on tracking spot large so it's very easy to swap between the 2 this almost guarantees you will get the subject in focus as it's so quick to just push a button say if Zone grabs something you don't want it too.
I mostly use the FE 600f4 so that also helps but my other lenses work great too .
The only thing i don't like is that you need to set bird animal or human to optimize focus but it still works well if say your after a bird and are set on human .
As for cost well it's worth it to me as it gives me a lot more chance of getting the shot .

Rob.

Back