The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Funnily enough, my most comfortable boots are a pair of OEX material boots that I've had for a few years now. Comfy, fairly durable, pretty grippy, warm..... Can't knock them really for the price but obviously they aren't the most waterproof if you are walking through puddles or long grass.

What's wrong with the mechanical shutter?

It just seems to suck compared to the electronic shutter when tracking fast moving subjects. Feels clunky, the af doesn't seem to track as well either, perhaps due to lower fps or something and it seems to slow down very quickly whereas electronic shutter will keep going for ages (and much faster).

I'm not sure, but whatever was going on it was pants.

It just seems to suck compared to the electronic shutter when tracking fast moving subjects. Feels clunky, the af doesn't seem to track as well either, perhaps due to lower fps or something and it seems to slow down very quickly whereas electronic shutter will keep going for ages (and much faster).

I'm not sure, but whatever was going on it was pants.
I’ve never read anything about it but I would guess that the fact the shutter blocks the sensor for a millisecond and therefore on sensor PDAF it could affect AF, but wouldn’t have thought it was perceivable :thinking:

Would love to but for all the times this is going to happen... but then I think the A1 has a fair bit more dynamic range as well?
apparently its happening enough to want to mention it on this thread :D
yes more dynamic range too :)

I'm now wondering how an A1 would help me more under LED lighting?

It has a variable shutter feature which allows you to fine tune to find the specific shutter speed that eliminates the banding
not the best of videos but someone showing it here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrxS0SaGPo

Basically you can tune the shutter speed to match the frequency of your LED lights so there is no banding

Aye that would be nice but ongoing house renovations are painful just now. Can the A1 electronic shutter deal with LED better?
It's 100% better than the a9 and a7iii I was using, I've nearly stopped worrying about LED lighting. Great not to be limited to shooting at 1/100th or slower...Never had to use the fine adjustment yet. Flash on the electronic shutter is also OK up to approx 1/5000th (Elinchrom ELB 500.) I'm done with buying cameras, this one should last me a long long time.

It has a variable shutter feature which allows you to fine tune to find the specific shutter speed that eliminates the banding

Basically you can tune the shutter speed to match the frequency of your LED lights so there is no banding
I've not had chance to watch the video but I'm assuming with the A1 that feature is to fine tune the shutter speed of the electronic shutter somehow? Does the readout time still not cause banding then?

I've not had chance to watch the video but I'm assuming with the A1 that feature is to fine tune the shutter speed of the electronic shutter somehow? Does the readout time still not cause banding then?
The readout time is faster in A1. The shutter clearance speed is around ~1/260s and mechanical shutters are around ~1/250s (unless you have A1 which goes up to 1/400s I believe)

The readout time is faster in A1. The shutter clearance speed is around ~1/260s and mechanical shutters are around ~1/250s (unless you have A1 which goes up to 1/400s I believe)
Wow, so the A1 has a flash sync of 1/400?

The A1 is many times better in dealing with banding vs any other camera outside of the R3/Z9

I have used the A1 since about October in all kinds of lighting for both photo and video and haven’t needed to use the mechanical shutter for a single frame. It can sync perfectly fine to LEDs that refresh at out of the norm frequencies

That looks nice, although I guess still somewhat limiting as I needed 1/500+ but still a nice workaround. Would global shutters cure this completely?

That looks nice, although I guess still somewhat limiting as I needed 1/500+ but still a nice workaround. Would global shutters cure this completely?
It would but I think the A1 on it's own get pretty close in that its scan speed is higher than A9. So you can use flash with electronic shutter too.

I think you can generally use it in any lightning without issue but if you on the odd occasion have issues you have the variable shutter feature too.

Don't know where you live but if can try an A1 may be it could help you decide

And 1/500s in APS-C mode

with A1 you can also use flash with electronic shutter with speed up to 1/200s
With my Sony flash it works OK up to around 1/2000th give or take and Elinchrom's can go up to 1/5000th.

I have them all vital tbh at a glance I can see everything I need.

My missus has the empty screen she misses her Nikon DSLR’s still

Mine is mostly as empty as possible but my settings are easy enough to remember, I'm using aperture or manual with evaluative or spot metering, single shot. I have different settings saved as custom settings but again nothing that I need a blizzard of info to keep me informed about.

Mine is mostly as empty as possible but my settings are easy enough to remember, I'm using aperture or manual with evaluative or spot metering, single shot. I have different settings saved as custom settings but again nothing that I need a blizzard of info to keep me informed about.

It so easy to change a setting by accidentally hitting a button with all the mirrorless cameras, not just Sony. I just like everything being there as it means I can see straight away if anything has been changed while a camera has been banging of my hip etc. Probably not needed if you are only using one camera.

Has become second nature to check now. When I first switched to Sony I was always getting issues of settings being changed due to a button being pressed accidentally.

It so easy to change a setting by accidentally hitting a button with all the mirrorless cameras, not just Sony. I just like everything being there as it means I can see straight away if anything has been changed while a camera has been banging of my hip etc. Probably not needed if you are only using one camera.

Has become second nature to check now. When I first switched to Sony I was always getting issues of settings being changed due to a button being pressed accidentally.

I think that possibly depends how you set them up. The only fumble I regularly manage and maybe the only one is calling up the option to select the focus point size when trying to move the focus point. Other than that changing any setting other than the aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation seems to require multiple button presses and probably the use of more than one button and/or dial.

I'm amazed people have that mumber of icons in the VF.
You dont really have much choice with Sony, its almost all or nothing.
I wish it was customizable. Id like the level, histogram and a few other icons at the same time.

I wish it was customizable. Id like the level, histogram and a few other icons at the same time.

Yes, I'd like the option of histogram and level but these aren't things that are killers for me. I might be getting confused about choices as I have Panasonic cameras too, all I can say is that my VF doesn't look anything like that and if it did I'd be diving into those dreaded menus to at least try and do something about it.

That's just me, as always good luck to those with another view :D

Yes, I'd like the option of histogram and level but these aren't things that are killers for me. I might be getting confused about choices as I have Panasonic cameras too, all I can say is that my VF doesn't look anything like that and if it did I'd be diving into those dreaded menus to at least try and do something about it.

That's just me, as always good luck to those with another view :D

Level and histogram are the only things I have in the display.

I have ordered the Sony A6600 and Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Contemporary, I hope I am going to like this set up and I have not been to hasty as the successor to the A6600 will be announced soon in 2022 !

My current Sony is NEX5R and my go to camera is Canon 7Dii !
given the chip shortage and them suspending A6100 because of it, I cannot see that happening any time soon this year.
May be late in the year if and when we get over the global chip shortage issue?

Do you not have the memories set to your go to options so that you can revert to 'default'? My only gripe with the memory function is that if you change something that change is remembered even if you turn the camera off, and it only defaults if you go to another mode/memory and then back again. I'd prefer it to reset to the 'default' memory with a quick turn on/off.

Back