The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yellowhammer and Brambling? Beautiful shots and birds
Thanks, pretty sure it’s a yellowhammer but not sure what the other one is :thinking:

Edit: Google images says it is a brambling (y)

Last edited:
Thanks, pretty sure it’s a yellowhammer but not sure what the other one is :thinking:

The first two are brambling the next one is a yellow hammer and the next few are male reed buntings.

Last edited:

I'm jealous, I have no photographs of either (especially the Brambling).

Last edited:
I'm jealous, I have no photographs of either (especially the Brambling).
I've seen the yellowhammers before, never seen or heard of a brambling before (y)

The first two are brambling the next one is a yellow hammer and the next few are male reed buntings.
Thanks, isn't one a coal tit and the others a sparrow, Reed Buntings have black heads don't they?

Last edited:
Thanks, isn't one a coal tit and the others a sparrow, Reed Buntings have black heads don't they?
Its a first year Male Reed Bunting. their heads can be lighter till they're ready for breading.

@NewBeetle how do you share your images on here as yours look nice and sharp whereas mine are particularly soft and mushy at the moment? :(

I always use the 2048 on long side

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 17.16.52.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-14 at 17.16.52.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
Using my A1 - I can't figure out how to use the Eye tracking AF when shooting movies. I've googled but can't find anything. I've seen lots of videos on Youtube of where the subject is being tracked around the frame. When I try, I have to keep the subject in the middle of the frame (I'm on AF-C) and, if I accidentally move off of a fast moving subject, the AF hits the background and loses focus on my subject so I need to make sure I keep tight on the subject in the middle.

Any ideas please?

The Moon over the valleys tonight. Looks very bright and the weather is quite clear (just a few min ago) Wales, UK

Sony A7 IV + Laowa 105 F/2 STF (I don't have anything longer focal lenth)
KAL06194.JPG

P.S. When I upload the photo here, it's lower quality.

Last edited:
Didn’t have my best days at Donington today, a lot of wasted shots but hopefully have a few that turned out. Also the Samyang 45mm doesn’t have as much pop as I’d like so I might try the Canon 50mm f1.4 USM at some point.

Anyone that uses the A1 have you tried slow pans, sort of 1/50 and slower and can say whether the ‘slideshow’ effect has improved over the A9-II? I know in the blurb they said they’d improved it but I wonder if it’s noticeable?

Didn’t have my best days at Donington today, a lot of wasted shots but hopefully have a few that turned out. Also the Samyang 45mm doesn’t have as much pop as I’d like so I might try the Canon 50mm f1.4 USM at some point.

Anyone that uses the A1 have you tried slow pans, sort of 1/50 and slower and can say whether the ‘slideshow’ effect has improved over the A9-II? I know in the blurb they said they’d improved it but I wonder if it’s noticeable?
I haven't used A9 huge lot but not sure if it's gone :thinking:
Not sure at what point it starts to be noticeable compared to A9 but at slower shutter speeds the camera cannot possibly show you live view when it's closing the shutter.

I haven't used A9 huge lot but not sure if it's gone :thinking:
Not sure at what point it starts to be noticeable compared to A9 but at slower shutter speeds the camera cannot possibly show you live view when it's closing the shutter.
The strange thing is it still seemed to have the slideshow effect when I tried mecahnical, I don’t recall that happening with the EM1-II but of course you got blackout :thinking:

The Moon over the valleys tonight. Looks very bright and the weather is quite clear (just a few min ago) Wales, UK

Sony A7 IV + Laowa 105 F/2 STF (I don't have anything longer focal lenth)

P.S. When I upload the photo here, it's lower quality.

I've always wanted to take a nice clear picture of the moon at a decent size in the frame but so far I've not managed it.

Why not have a look at the old Sigma 50mm f1.4? AFAIK when I had canon DSLR's the Canon was widely regarded as being pants and the Sigma was widely regarded as being the better lens. At the time I thought the Sigma was excellent and it beat my Canon f2.5 which at the time, so I read, was thought to be Canons sharpest 50mm at any aperture the Canon could match. Neither of these lenses is going to be technically as good as a modern lens across the frame but I suppose the overall look might me something you prefer now and again.

I've always wanted to take a nice clear picture of the moon at a decent size in the frame but so far I've not managed it.

About your question, just experiment in manual focus mode, lower ISO and high speed to get the moon surface exposed right. It will be better with bigger sensor I think and longer lens, but I have max 105mm at the moment.

My image is:
1/1000
ISO 160
F/2

Found a way to post it with better quality:

KAL06194.jpg

Why not have a look at the old Sigma 50mm f1.4? AFAIK when I had canon DSLR's the Canon was widely regarded as being pants and the Sigma was widely regarded as being the better lens. At the time I thought the Sigma was excellent and it beat my Canon f2.5 which at the time, so I read, was thought to be Canons sharpest 50mm at any aperture the Canon could match. Neither of these lenses is going to be technically as good as a modern lens across the frame but I suppose the overall look might me something you prefer now and again.
I do like the rendering of the Canon from what I’ve seen, tbh liekwise with the gen 1 Sigma AF 50mm f1.4 but I keep being advised not to buy it, especially by @f/2.8

About your question, just experiment in manual focus mode, lower ISO and high speed to get the moon surface exposed right. It will be better with bigger sensor I think and longer lens, but I have max 105mm at the moment.

My image is:
1/1000
ISO 160F/2

I know the basics but my excuse is that I've maybe never had the kit. Back in my DSLR days I had a Sigma 28-300mm which I used on APS-C but it was quite poor. Later I used a Canon 70-300mm and now have a MFT Panasonic 100-400mm.

This is one of my better ones, this is the whole picture. The 100-400mm is wide open at f6.3 so I've stopped it down a bit to f8. It might look ok here unless the posting process makes it look soft, but it doesn't look as good as I'd ideally like when zoomed in / cropped.

8eYqj7u.jpg

I do like the rendering of the Canon from what I’ve seen, tbh liekwise with the gen 1 Sigma AF 50mm f1.4 but I keep being advised not to buy it, especially by @f/2.8

I had one and at times it was my favourite lens. If you like I can sort out about a million pictures taken with it :D Or you can just google for some.

I had one and at times it was my favourite lens. If you like I can sort out about a million pictures taken with it :D Or you can just google for some.
Thanks, I’ll have a gander at your flickr at some point. What’s your username? As I said, the rendering has always looked nice to me. Of course, in and ideal world I’d have the 35mm f1.4 GM and 50mm f1.2 GM as they both render beautifully.

Last edited:
Back