The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Bit behind on the gear side of things, has anyone made a decent 24mm 1.8 yet?

Samyang have one but expect the usual Samyang issues as do Viltrox but they are even worse.

In terms of decent no.

Just get the 24GM and be happy.

Samyang have one but expect the usual Samyang issues as do Viltrox but they are even worse.

In terms of decent no.

Just get the 24GM and be happy.

I already have the 24GM ;)

Just thinking of something smaller for travel/holiday use and that could maybe go on a crop body for 35 equiv

Last edited:
Bit behind on the gear side of things, has anyone made a decent 24mm 1.8 yet?
The samyang 24mm f1.8 seems to optically exceptional at least according to this guy

There is also a sigma 24mm f2 and Zeiss basis 25mm f2.
But if the performance of the samyang is as good as the reviews that's the one I'd advise getting on a budget.

Last edited:
I already have the 24GM ;)

Just thinking of something smaller for travel/holiday use and that could maybe go on a crop body for 35 equiv

There's the 24mm f2.8 G which is very compact and has an aperture ring. I have one and I like it. There's strong distortion without corrections but I think some bodies correct automatically, mine doesn't so I use a profile and I can't see any downside.

Been mulling over my 70-180/70-200 plan. Just thinking that I could sell my Batis 135 and Sony FE85/1.8, and then buy the Tamron and either the 85/1.4 GM or 100 STF GM for roughly the same budget as the 70-200 GM Mk1.

I don't often shoot below f2.8-f4, so thinking that the STF might be quite a good fun lens to complement the 70-180. What does everyone think?

Been mulling over my 70-180/70-200 plan. Just thinking that I could sell my Batis 135 and Sony FE85/1.8, and then buy the Tamron and either the 85/1.4 GM or 100 STF GM for roughly the same budget as the 70-200 GM Mk1.

I don't often shoot below f2.8-f4, so thinking that the STF might be quite a good fun lens to complement the 70-180. What does everyone think?
Maybe look at the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN instead of the GM, a good number of reviewers have found it sharper and better focus. The only area the GM is better is contrast with backlit subjects.

Last edited:
Maybe look at the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN instead of the GM, a good number of reviewers have found it sharper and better focus. The only area the GM is better is contrast with backlit subjects.

You forget the G.M has much nicer rendering and fall off as well. With this type of lens that is more important than anything else if using it for portraits.

The Sigma is clinically sharper but as you know yourself struggles with a.f at high frame rates and in backlit situations.

The STF is effectively 5.6, misleading marketing from Sony, having said that it's one i've been considering recently along with the Batis 135. The size and weight of the Batis really appeals to me and I have no use for anything that long below 2.8, almost pulled the trigger on one today as I have a holiday coming up and want something light and long.

You forget the G.M has much nicer rendering and fall off as well. With this type of lens that is more important than anything else if using it for portraits.

The Sigma is clinically sharper but as you know yourself struggles with a.f at high frame rates and in backlit situations.
Obviously the first bit is subjective, I love the look from the Sigma and from the examples below it looks nicer than the GM to my eyes, YMMV.

AF is generally great (20/20 in Manny's video), it's just shooting my dog running towards the camera that I've had 'issues' with, but then shooting a dog running towards the camera at f1.4 is asking a bit much? Even the 70-200mm GM2 doesn't nail every shot in this scenario. What I have found with my recent testing is that flexible single point AF is more accurate than expandable flexible single point which I've normally used. Obviously it won't do 20fps, only 15fps.

I don't think AF struggles in backlight, it's the contrast which is clearly much better on the GM in this scenario.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDU2TH6yo40&ab_channel=MannyOrtiz

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYk-5UZZVk&ab_channel=JaredPolin

Obviously the first bit is subjective, I love the look from the Sigma and from the examples below it looks nicer than the GM to my eyes, YMMV.

AF is generally great (20/20 in Manny's video), it's just shooting my dog running towards the camera that I've had 'issues' with, but then shooting a dog running towards the camera at f1.4 is asking a bit much? Even the 70-200mm GM2 doesn't nail every shot in this scenario. What I have found with my recent testing is that flexible single point AF is more accurate than expandable flexible single point which I've normally used. Obviously it won't do 20fps, only 15fps.

I don't think AF struggles in backlight, it's the contrast which is clearly much better on the GM in this scenario.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDU2TH6yo40&ab_channel=MannyOrtiz

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYk-5UZZVk&ab_channel=JaredPolin

I guess how images look is subjective but I personally and I know many others dislike the Sigma rendering and fall off across there lens range, and that is also evident with the 85mm. It is a very sharp lens.

I personally have seen many instances were the Siggy 85mm struggles badly with a.f in backlit situations. Just as one example I helped another photographer out quite a few times over the pandemic, they also shot for me a few times as well. She had the Siggy 85mm. At a lot of church weddings in particular the bride is often walking up the aisle in strong backlight. The Siggy was almost useless for this as it really struggled to lock on. She also shoots a lot of backlit portraits and had issues there as well. She isn't the only one either I have seen lots of other wedding photographers complaining about the same thing on social media. This became such an annoyance for her she ended up ditching the Siggy for a Sony 85 f/1.8. To be fair I warned her against that as the 85 f/1.8 produces lots of C.,A in backlit situations. She ended up replacing it later with the G.M for that reason.

The Sigma does have some advantages over the G.M lens, it has faster a.f in non backlit situations, it is sharper and is lighter and smaller.

For me the G.M lens has much nicer rendering and fall off and the a.f is more reliable in backlit situations. I know a few other wedding photographers that jumped to the Siggy from the G.M lens and regretted it later on, some went back to the G.M. Many others are waiting for the 85 f/1.2. I assume the G.M lens had better coatings and that is why contrast is also better. While that's an advantage, it can also be a disadvantage as well as it is more difficult to get the G,M lenses to flare.

For some reason all of the Sigma art lenses seem to struggle in strong backlight. Not sure why, that has always been the case even with their DSLR lenses. The fall off on their art lenses has also been a bit of an issue as well, which is why many wedding photographers used to choose the Distagon over the Siggy 35 art for example even thought the art was sharper and the Distagon had quite a few issues of it's own.

I do find it strange though that you say that you prefer the Sigma when only a few days ago you said.
Recently my lens want list has changed a lot, what I want is:-
35mm f1.4 GM
50mm f1.2 GM
85mm f1.4 GM

I do find it strange though that you say that you prefer the Sigma when only a few days ago you said.
That was before I actually looked into it, I just assumed I’d prefer the GM :facepalm::LOL:

I sold my Sony 85 and 135 F1.8's for the Tamron 70-180 F2.8
I really don't need any additional primes covering the same range, as the Tamron lens is good enough for my use - Grassroots Football, karting and outdoor portraits.

I'm actually also selling my Sony 55 F1.8 for the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 G2. Having a zoom is more convenient for me, than the very small sharpness and aperture benefit of the prime.

Last edited:
I guess how images look is subjective but I personally and I know many others dislike the Sigma rendering and fall off across there lens range, and that is also evident with the 85mm. It is a very sharp lens.

I personally have seen many instances were the Siggy 85mm struggles badly with a.f in backlit situations. Just as one example I helped another photographer out quite a few times over the pandemic, they also shot for me a few times as well. She had the Siggy 85mm. At a lot of church weddings in particular the bride is often walking up the aisle in strong backlight. The Siggy was almost useless for this as it really struggled to lock on. She also shoots a lot of backlit portraits and had issues there as well. She isn't the only one either I have seen lots of other wedding photographers complaining about the same thing on social media. This became such an annoyance for her she ended up ditching the Siggy for a Sony 85 f/1.8. To be fair I warned her against that as the 85 f/1.8 produces lots of C.,A in backlit situations. She ended up replacing it later with the G.M for that reason.

I've never really experienced this, and I shoot at f1.4 and backlit a lot of the time. In fact it's so reliable I'm using it more and more.

I keep looking at this lens, but I think I'm going to try the Samyang 35mm f1.8 first to see if I like shooting a lot with a 35mm. The lack of aperture ring lock is something that might put me off too. It produces lovely images though.

I like 35mm and modern lens wise I have the Sony f1.8 and f2.8 and the Voigtlander f1.4 (if that can be classed as modern) so I don't know why I keep looking at this one, because it's supposed to be so good I expect :D

It's probably on the large size for me though as even the Sony f1.8 is getting a bit big for me so I'll almost certainly not get this f1.4.

I remember Manny Ortiz liking the Sony 35mm f1.8, he seems to have quite a few vids featuring it. Aren't you tempted by it?

I like 35mm and modern lens wise I have the Sony f1.8 and f2.8 and the Voigtlander f1.4 (if that can be classed as modern) so I don't know why I keep looking at this one, because it's supposed to be so good I expect :D

It's probably on the large size for me though as even the Sony f1.8 is getting a bit big for me so I'll almost certainly not get this f1.4.

I remember Manny Ortiz liking the Sony 35mm f1.8, he seems to have quite a few vids featuring it. Aren't you tempted by it?
It's quite a bit more expensive than the Samyang and wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a lens I'm not sure I'd use much. The Samyang looks to render nicely here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfmqISVCG8&t=241s&ab_channel=JuliaTrotti

It's quite a bit more expensive than the Samyang and wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a lens I'm not sure I'd use much. The Samyang looks to render nicely here

Ah. I see.

I used to be mostly 50 but seem to have drifted to 35 and at the mo and today / this week it's 28mm.

Bit naughty posting this here but on the subject of focal lengths... Of the pictures I took today, dull, flat light and spotting on a bit, I think this is my favourite. Taken with a 14mm f2.5 on MFT, 28mm equiv.

OTsZix8.jpg

PS.
Looking at the 50mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4 in vids they don't seem to look as big as they do on the camera comparison site so maybe I could be tempted but I'd have to see and handle the lenses myself and there's little chance of that as there's no camera shops here just Currys and they don't have anything that interesting.

Last edited:
Ah. I see.

I used to be mostly 50 but seem to have drifted to 35 and at the mo and today / this week it's 28mm.

Bit naughty posting this here but on the subject of focal lengths... Of the pictures I took today, dull, flat light and spotting on a bit, I think this is my favourite. Taken with a 14mm f2.5 on MFT, 28mm equiv.

OTsZix8.jpg

PS.
Looking at the 50mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4 in vids they don't seem to look as big as they do on the camera comparison site so maybe I could be tempted but I'd have to see and handle the lenses myself and there's little chance of that as there's no camera shops here just Currys and they don't have anything that interesting.
I’ve got Harrisons 20mins away but it seems like the other end of the earth sometimes :LOL:

I think for me it would mean a trip to Newcastle or Leeds, possibly Durham. There used to be three in Middlesbrough town centre but now, none. That's why I buy stuff on line now.

I think for me it would mean a trip to Newcastle or Leeds, possibly Durham. There used to be three in Middlesbrough town centre but now, none. That's why I buy stuff on line now.
We used to have a London Camera Exchange and a local company called Dents but they went a while back and are just left with Currys. Luckily Sheffield’s not too far but I just tend to buy online now too.

For those that use eye af a lot do you specify the eye to focus on or set it to Auto? If the latter does the camera do a good job of focussing on the nearest eye, and do you have any ‘tricks’ that help the camera pick up on the nearest eye, especially in cases where the distance to camera is not that different between the two eyes?

For those that use eye af a lot do you specify the eye to focus on or set it to Auto? If the latter does the camera do a good job of focussing on the nearest eye, and do you have any ‘tricks’ that help the camera pick up on the nearest eye, especially in cases where the distance to camera is not that different between the two eyes?

Hi Toby, for my jazz shots I just use Auto as it seems to work ok for me and it is pretty quick to lock on the eyes.

I use Auto. It’s very good at selecting the closest eye. Actually it’s pretty Voodoo...

I bought a couple of boxes from amazon, stores a couple of memory cards in the lid too (y)

I’m sending some batteries to MPB so wanted to check if there were covers to look for or not. MPB seems the only safe selling rote as you cant post batteries on their own so privates sales are nearly impossible. I’m guessing MPB have an agreement as they know if the parcel they’ve arranged to collect has spare batteries.

I keep looking at this lens, but I think I'm going to try the Samyang 35mm f1.8 first to see if I like shooting a lot with a 35mm. The lack of aperture ring lock is something that might put me off too. It produces lovely images though.
I purchased a new Samyang 35mm 1.8 recently as small street photography lens but sent it back. There was was something about the rendering, especially out of focus areas that looked odd and messy to my eye. Maybe it’s just different to all the other Sony native lenses I own. Switched to Sony 40mm 2.5 G

I purchased a new Samyang 35mm 1.8 recently as small street photography lens but sent it back. There was was something about the rendering, especially out of focus areas that looked odd and messy to my eye. Maybe it’s just different to all the other Sony native lenses I own. Switched to Sony 40mm 2.5 G

YaY! Good to see another small G lens owner as I thought I was the only one. I have the 24mm f2.8. I keep looking at the 40 and 50mm f2.5's but as I have the old Sony 35mm f2.8 getting one doesn't make a lot of sense.

OK thanks, the exmples I’ve seen look nice but you only ever know properly when you try yourself (y)

I’m sending some batteries to MPB so wanted to check if there were covers to look for or not. MPB seems the only safe selling rote as you cant post batteries on their own so privates sales are nearly impossible. I’m guessing MPB have an agreement as they know if the parcel they’ve arranged to collect has spare batteries.

I have a spare Canon R5/R6 battery I don't know what to do with, I was going to keep it but perhaps MPB would buy it .... cheers for that, didn't give them a thought.

What's a good price for a used 400mm 2.8?

I see there's one on ebay, not too old, excellent condition for £9000 - but they are new £10,500 - so I'm not sold

I have a spare Canon R5/R6 battery I don't know what to do with, I was going to keep it but perhaps MPB would buy it .... cheers for that, didn't give them a thought.
Likewise, I have several Nikon ones sat in a draw.

Back