The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Double click the toggle "stick"?

EDIT - May just be a single click in the central position. Can't remember.

Single click of the joystick thingy, I can't remember if you have to set it up for this or whether it's set like that as default :thinking:

I reset the camera to factory settings and I just one click on the toggle now to center the AF point

Thanks guys

Les

There's a nice Billingham Hadley Small in the for sale section.

Some of these seem to have very similar names. I have one which is a Billingham Hadley Pro Small, I've no idea what the differences are.

Same here. I haven't doe a wet clean for a while now, I can't remember when I last did but I can't see anything like this dislodging something stuck on so I'd imagine you'd still need a wet clean now and again.

There's a nice Billingham Hadley Small in the for sale section.

Some of these seem to have very similar names. I have one which is a Billingham Hadley Pro Small, I've no idea what the differences are.
The Pro is only for professionals.

I must have slipped through... Or they took me for some other sort of professional. Maybe the leather mini skirt and high heels threw them.

Googling says...

"The Hadley Small Pro is the newer relative of the popular Hadley Small of which it's the same size, but it adds some new features such as a top carry handle, document pocket and luggage trolley strap."

So now we know.

Last edited:
So I've had the Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 for about 10 days now and i'm very pleased with the photo results and surprised how versatile it can be. It's sharp enough wide open, light weight (810g) AF seems fast enough and has the fast F2.8 aperture.
It also has a 'macro' mode which can provide about 0.5 life size and whilst not as good as a true macro lens it's good enough for the occasional macro type photo.

All this for about £1.2k UK price and less imported.

The following images are some of the photos I've taken using it on my Sony A7 III, along with the EXIF info.

180mm, 1/50, F16, ISO 125 (hand held)

52064355186_39f7ff50f6_b.jpg

80mm, 1/500, F2.8, ISO 125,

52064355206_bb6148d81f_b.jpg

180mm, 1/1250, F4.5, ISO 125

52064584294_1c45413794_b.jpg

180mm, 1/1000, F4.5, ISO 125

52064372358_d136fcd98d_b.jpg

180mm, F2.8, 1/1250, ISO 125

52064372413_3077c47744_b.jpg

80mm, F2.8, 1/50, ISO 1250

52064843245_87e8b19fc9_b.jpg

Macro mode 70mm, F6.3, 1/160, ISO 160

52064355486_aa935587b7_b.jpg

Last edited:
Macro mode 70mm, F3.2, 1/320, ISO 200

52064583929_7ae3c80dc8_b.jpg

Macro mode 70mm, F13, 1/160, ISO 1250

52064583884_cb8ae557b8_b.jpg

Macro mode 70mm, F6.3, 1/160, ISO 500

52064584169_a9dcc97335_b.jpg

Macro mode 70mm, F6.3, 1/40, ISO 1600

52064372263_2af6c51694_b.jpg

Macro mode 70mm, F3.5, 1/400, ISO 1600

52064842960_4bf43a6788_b.jpg

180mm, F3.5, 1/400, ISO 2000

52064372038_01a2eee7f3_b.jpg

180mm, F4, 1/400, ISO 3200

52064355401_47c36b4717_b.jpg

80mm, F4, 1/20, ISO 1250 (Hand held - IBIS doing well here)

52066247680_4b7ba4cb85_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I had a Canon 50mm macro lens that only went to half life size. This from a zoom is very nice, as is the image quality.

Very nice. I had a Canon 50mm macro lens that only went to half life size. This from a zoom is very nice, as is the image quality.
I've owned two Macro lenses - the OG Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro USM and the Canon 100m L F2.8 IS macro. Both were great but's it's a lot of money tied up in a lens which rarely gets used for it's true purpose.

In terms of the Tamron - I think the only thing it's missing is the focus hold/custom buttons on the lens. I program these to Eye AF and they are placed perfect when you're holding the lens barrel. Just means I use my thumb on the back button, like every other lens without them.

I've owned two Macro lenses - the OG Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro USM and the Canon 100m L F2.8 IS macro. Both were great but's it's a lot of money tied up in a lens which rarely gets used for it's true purpose.

In terms of the Tamron - I think the only thing it's missing is the focus hold/custom buttons on the lens. I program these to Eye AF and they are placed perfect when you're holding the lens barrel. Just means I use my thumb on the back button, like every other lens without them.

I don't tend to use zooms a lot but I do like a close focusing prime or zoom and it doesn't have to be life size especially with the cropping power available from modern cameras.

Hello all, long time no post from me in this thread! I was in Westminster today to see if there was anything worth photographing regarding the State Opening of Parliament. I walked to the grass area opposite the Houses of Parliament where you see all the political interviews and there were tons of lights and cameras set up plus reporters. I was at a metal barrier and a woman walked towards me and said "Can I get out this way?" I said "I'm sure it's fine, let's move this barrier out the way". She said "Who are you?" I told her I'm an amateur photographer. She said "Oh, maybe you can take some photos of me, I need some new ones". I'd not heard of her but it was Rupa Huq, labour MP for Ealing and Acton. I think she must have just finished an interview. So she handed me her iPad to take some photos, and then I shot some with my camera where I emailed five pics to her House of Commons address. She just replied "Thanks so much, good work. Let me know if you are around again ever or up for taking pics generally". So that was fun. :)

This is her from Good Morning Britain a while ago.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ2zidOL3T4

And here are some of the shots I took of her today. I didn't send her the last one, lol.

Rupa Huq 1 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Rupa Huq 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Rupa Huq 6 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

And a couple for the bike fans. Harley D I assume?

Motorbike 1 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Motorbike 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Last edited:
@SDK^

Thanks. These examples and your thoughts are very useful. Definitely a lens that’s popped into my field of view.

That must be quite a crop Dan as I can't get the moon hat big in the frame with 400mm on MFT.

How many mp is the camera and what's the crop? Any chance of posting the whole frame?

Hello all, long time no post from me in this thread! I was in Westminster today to see if there was anything worth photographing regarding the State Opening of Parliament. I walked to the grass area opposite the Houses of Parliament where you see all the political interviews and there were tons of lights and cameras set up plus reporters. I was at a metal barrier and a woman walked towards me and said "Can I get out this way?" I said "I'm sure it's fine, let's move this barrier out the way". She said "Who are you?" I told her I'm an amateur photographer. She said "Oh, maybe you can take some photos of me, I need some new ones". I'd not heard of her but it was Rupa Huq, labour MP for Ealing and Acton. I think she must have just finished an interview. So she handed me her iPad to take some photos, and then I shot some with my camera where I emailed five pics to her House of Commons address. She just replied "Thanks so much, good work. Let me know if you are around again ever or up for taking pics generally". So that was fun. :)

This is her from Good Morning Britain a while ago.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ2zidOL3T4

And here are some of the shots I took of her today. I didn't send her the last one, lol.

Rupa Huq 1 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Rupa Huq 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Rupa Huq 6 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

And a couple for the bike fans. Harley D I assume?

Motorbike 1 by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Motorbike 3 by Merlin 5, on Flickr
First pic of the MP is the best. Cool bike, looks like it started life out as a Twin Cam Softail, probably a Breakout.

Am I missing something, it didn't look like an outdoor photo to me. I was expecting him to photoshop a background in or something but it still looked like a model stood in front of a screen to me :LOL:

I don't know... I usually like his videos except for the ones on lighting because I'm not really interested and never likely do anything like that.

To be honest I posted this tongue in cheek expecting someone into lighting to complain :D :D

Sorry. naughty me :D

Back to gear...

I've been using my MFT cameras more recently and I do like them because they're so compact and light but they do lack a bit of DR compared to my A7 and one day when my A7 eventually makes its way to camera heaven I'll be looking for a new one and a compact one would be nice. There were several things that put me off the A7c (but good luck and more power to those who like that camera) and it just wasn't for me but if they'd tweak a few things I could be tempted.

I hope when supplies settle down they do an A7cII with two near top of camera control dials and a different shutter mechanism allowing 1/8,000 with the mechanical shutter and / or seamless automatic switching to the electronic shutter as with my Panasonic cameras. I doubt they will though.

I don't know... I usually like his videos except for the ones on lighting because I'm not really interested and never likely do anything like that.

To be honest I posted this tongue in cheek expecting someone into lighting to complain :D :D

Sorry. naughty me :D
I don't know a great deal about lighting, but I know what looks like outside vs someone against a screen :LOL:

Back