The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have had both there is very little difference, big penalty to pay just to get a slightly better LCD.
that's exactly what I said to him but he was not interested :(
I am even happy to add a free kirk l-bracket that sells for over £160 on Wex. Personally would take l-bracket over the LCD any day but each to their own.

He was but I wanted the updated version with the newer rear LCD. :)

How come you are downgrading from the A7IV to the A7RIV?

If you ignore the extra resolution the A7IV is better at everything else?
I am even happy to add a free kirk l-bracket that sells for over £160 on Wex. Personally would take l-bracket over the LCD any day but each to their own.

Each to their own.

How come you are downgrading from the A7IV to the A7RIV?

If you ignore the extra resolution the A7IV is better at everything else?

Each to their own.
I’ve already got one A7IV body and I thought I wanted another but I’ve ordered I want the RIVa now. :)

You’re welcome to buy it from me and save £100 before it goes back to Very on Friday. :p

I doubt it unless you’ve got a discount code, no used items in stock and it’s £2400 on their website.

they are offering a discount to everyone going to the Goodwood LCE event on Saturday.
I get a wee little extra discount since I know the manager well and am a regular customer.

for anyone else interested here's event, its free to attend:

Last edited:
Only got mine the other week only used it at one wedding so far.

Good points:

- A.F is ridiculously quick
- Eye A.F is the best I have seen on a lens so far, probably because of the fast a.f speed
- I.Q is good, what you would expect for an oem 24-70 f/2.8
- I like the aperture lock button, wish the rest of the G.M lenses had this.
- It is lightweight.

Bad points

- It doesn't feel like a premium lens, build quality is okay but it doesn't feel as well made as say the old Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 I once had. I assume this was because they wanted to keep it light. It is better build than the Tamron 28-75 it replaced, but then that lens is made of chocolate.

thanks,

I was using the mark I the other night in auditorium, walking towards me placed on the left of frame as they accepted rewards - even at 1/500th and ISO 1000, I was not impressed with sharpness of images.

Decided no more waiting!

Last edited:
Last edited:
they are offering a discount to everyone going to the Goodwood LCE event on Saturday.
I get a wee little extra discount since I know the manager well and am a regular customer.

for anyone else interested here's event, its free to attend:

Wish I was closer I would have gone to that.

New toy arrived a couple of days ago in the form of an A7 converted for infrared. Needless to say the clouds moved in at the same time as the delivery and the rain has barely stopped. On top of that I've got damaged ligaments in my right leg so walking is a bit sore at the moment, Oh woe is me :)

Anyway I managed a short walk today between showers just to make sure it worked as it should but didn't really get anything worthwhile. But I'll post them anyway.

DSC9400 by barrysprout, on Flickr

DSC9408 by barrysprout, on Flickr

One thing I had forgotten about the original A7 is what a clatter the shutter makes! Coming from more recent bodies it was a bit of a shock.

The new Nikon 400mm f4.5 VR S looks an interesting lens, I've always wanted Sony to do a 400mm f4. Don't think it'll be cheap though.

The new Nikon 400mm f4.5 VR S looks an interesting lens, I've always wanted Sony to do a 400mm f4. Don't think it'll be cheap though.
Yeah really jealous.... Inc. that 800mm f6.3

Currently I don't expect to be using much telephotos due some changes in our life but when I'm able to get back out again shooting birds/wildlife, if Sony doesn't have competing lens I'll most likely swap.

Yeah really jealous.... Inc. that 800mm f6.3

Currently I don't expect to be using much telephotos due some changes in our life but when I'm able to get back out again shooting birds/wildlife, if Sony doesn't have competing lens I'll most likely swap.
I can’t see them them doing the 400mm but they may do a super tele with both Nikon and Canon bringing them out.

I can’t see them them doing the 400mm but they may do a super tele with both Nikon and Canon bringing them out.
It'll be nice to something or almost anything.
Right now the only option is super expensive teleprimes or 200-600mm.

I totally give up with olympus cashback srew up, so you will start to see more of my Sony shots now as the other camera is now back in the box and put away.
What issues are you having?

They keep saying my IBAN number is wrong and it should be 22 numbers, I have just taken a photo and emailed that. Time will tell if they get it right.
It’s poor when they make it so difficult. I assume it’s not grey?
Edit: just seen your last post, glad it’s sorted.

Have the lenses on the RX100 improved since the Mark III? Fancying having a decent compact but I had the Mark III and wasn’t blown away by the IQ, in particular the lens wasn’t great in the corners (although better than the G7x)

Back