The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You’re punching way over your weight Toby.
And spend an hour on the naughty step. f1.4 always innit..

I might have told this story before so if I have... Sorry :D

Years back I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my Canon APS-C DSLR and I was very happy with it. I often used to call into that shop and one day the owner called me over to tell me he'd had a customer in complaining that his 30mm f1.4 was soft but it transpired that he was shooting everything at f1.4 and not realising the consequences :D A real case of having the gear but if not exactly having no idea then not really understanding what's going on :D

I might have told this story before so if I have... Sorry :D

Years back I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my Canon APS-C DSLR and I was very happy with it. I often used to call into that shop and one day the owner called me over to tell me he'd had a customer in complaining that his 30mm f1.4 was soft but it transpired that he was shooting everything at f1.4 and not realising the consequences :D A real case of having the gear but if not exactly having no idea then not really understanding what's going on :D
The Samyang is sharp wide open, and the Sigma 85mm f1.4 is mega sharp wide open so I don't have to worry about soft images so it's all down to the look. I haven't processed any of the images that were stopped down :LOL:

I have a Samyang 35, sometimes i take a photo and think, gosh this is massively out, other times, its spot on and tack sharp. I'm tempted to get the Samyang 24mm because I find 35mm a bit 'close' sometimes.

The Samyang is sharp wide open, and the Sigma 85mm f1.4 is mega sharp wide open so I don't have to worry about soft images so it's all down to the look. I haven't processed any of the images that were stopped down :LOL:

That old 30mm f1.4 was sharp but I think the guy was expecting the sort of "sharpness" you'd get in the frame at f8 not the sharpness you get at one point in the frame at f1.4 :D

So, it's a nice sunny and warm day here but I wouldn't say it's an unprecedented heatwave. Maybe it needs time to get going.

There'll be no photography for me today but as it's quiet here's an old picture... A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

QcIhTwj.jpg

So, it's a nice sunny and warm day here but I wouldn't say it's an unprecedented heatwave. Maybe it needs time to get going.

There'll be no photography for me today but as it's quiet here's an old picture... A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

QcIhTwj.jpg

That's a lovely image of Mrs WW Alan.

QcIhTwj.jpg

Very nice portrait style capture of your wife Alan, liking this one very much.

Ah, the quotes all went wrong. See below :D

Last edited:
Earlier today it was 42 here in the sun, now it's dropped back to 39.2.

Someone might be interested in one of these...

I'm more interested in this...

I wonder why it's so badly affected by flare?

A rare vid on youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4cXOU45cvs

Pretty epic breathing there and the mushy corners look like those from my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

Oh, and a note to Victor, turn a light on pls! :D

Last edited:
The Corfe Castle image is going to be......

3 sky images to stack, twice, to make a slight panorama.
3 foreground Castle images.
3 light painted immediate foreground images.

So that's 12, plus a handful of really dark exposures for the actual Castle itself which must be lit with a hundred 2000 watt lights at night!
Jesus, if I can’t get it in 1 shot in camera I’m not going to bother lol

Can you do it with 1 shot if you use a star tracker?

Bought a Godox AD600 Pro for player's photos and hopefully to start doing some more varied work too. Really powerful bit of kit and works really well. The light is much nicer than I was getting with my wee speedlights and having the power opens up more opportunities. My daughter loves a wee pose and it helps she is often in a football top.

Attachments

• _SA15547.jpg
    _SA15547.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 15
From the rumor site...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInqosysfkQ

I'll be walking to the post office later and was looking forward to taking a camera but I get up this morning and although it's warm the light isn't good and the sky is a total featureless white/grey out. Oh well...
Surely he’s be better off with an A7(x) or A9 rather than using an A7c with all that metal frame around it? :thinking:

That kid's not exactly moving fast and he's wearing an ESPORT t shirt :cool:

I went to the shops today but I didn't even bother taking a camera. Here's hoping for better light for photography and some free time to do some on another day soon :D

I got it working...

becK1Gn.jpg

so I now have a DVD player in the bedroom. To test it out I started to watch the Lotus Elise Story. I bought this on VHS and transferred it to rewritable DVD. The quality is watchable but the reds blow out and cause interference. I'll watch the rest later.

I liked driving my Lotus Elise but only in perfect conditions as in non perfect conditions the handling went and the brakes went on holiday. I only kept it 18 months or two years or so as every time I went out in it something fell off or broke and that spoilt the fun. My Elan SE was more reliable and I think I did 118k miles in it but the gear linkage cables did keep snapping and the windows went wonky and the water just poured in.

Lots of trouble usually serious.

PS.
A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8 at f8 and with a No.4 close up filter.

Nice contrast mate

Thank you kindly Ant, appreciate your reply.

"On most of my mono street style snapping I've been trying to create a more journalistic higher contrast look (without any presets) to my work similar to the original "Tri-X & FP4" film stock that I used with my old (and still got) "Nikon F" camera"

Last edited:
Back