The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If you call an 18 month and 4 year old static then yes, only static.

I wouldn't go shooting fan blades with the electronic shutter. But that's not banding which is what we were talking about wasn't it.

As long as you know the limitations, the electronic shutter is certainly not "useless" as some have made out.
I'm not sure I'd want to take a toddler on the move, but I've used silent shutter on numerous cameras before my A9ii without an issue, including portraits of people and dogs (admittedly relatively still), landscapes, cars, bikes etc etc. There are of course a vast array of different types of situations where electronic shutters work just fine (y)

I had to look up what banding was as I had thought banding to be video related but I can confirm on some shots ( I've never really noticed what type of shots) I have had banding which I've noticed in the skies ! This was using the a6000 but I cannot say I've ever seen this on my other digital cameras ( Point and shoot) Now I've said that I'm going to see it on all the shots.

Banding in the skies is usually, for me anyway, down to over processing or a result of the downsizing / posting process on forums.

The issue with electronic shutters and flickering lights and banding causes a series of light and dark bands across the picture. It can be lessened or perhaps even eliminated by using shutter speeds which are multiples of the mains frequency.

Lovely shots Toby, walking along that river looks beautiful.
Thanks, it is very beautiful. Very busy though, hate to think what it’s like at the height of summer.
I like the shot of Broadway tower and Bourton on the water there. That's only about 40 min away from us.
Thanks. It’s a very nice part of the world, it’s like a flatter version of Derbyshire. I love the traditional thatched roof cottages and other quaint buildings, it’s like driving around a life sized Lilliput Lane :love:

Banding in the skies is usually, for me anyway, down to over processing or a result of the downsizing / posting process on forums

I had thought that they were down as you say to over processing or downsizing as this is when I tended to notice it, until I heard about banding and looked up what it was I hadn't realized that it could be a camera related thing. Not really a major problem but I'll keep an eye out now when processing in the future.

I had thought that they were down as you say to over processing or downsizing as this is when I tended to notice it, until I heard about banding and looked up what it was I hadn't realized that it could be a camera related thing. Not really a major problem but I'll keep an eye out now when processing in the future.

When I have gone a bit to far using the contrast or clarity that does it as well, so for me I take it easy on both.

Take the filter off - you are likely to get less flare that way. Seriously.

I tried a few shots provoking lens to flare and your right the filter was at least causing it in this situation !, I'm going to have to find the lens cap !

No filter
1.JPG

Uv filter fitted

2.JPG
I tried multiple shots and in every case with the filter on it flared ,without I couldn't get it to do so !

I tried a few shots provoking lens to flare and your right the filter was at least causing it in this situation !, I'm going to have to find the lens cap !

No filter
View attachment 367275

Uv filter fitted

View attachment 367276
I tried multiple shots and in every case with the filter on it flared ,without I couldn't get it to do so !
What’s the reason you’re using a UV filter in the first place?

Evening all! Apologies if this is quite a silly question, but I’m getting a little confused. I have an A7iv and want to set up the C1-C3 dial points to automatically set the camera up for different types of photography; ie one for Macro & one for Birds.. My confusion, is does the coke under setting up Custom settings or is this Memory recall?

Also, once I set these up, can changing the dial, also change the changes I have made to customer buttons?

Thank you for you help & support :)

Evening all! Apologies if this is quite a silly question, but I’m getting a little confused. I have an A7iv and want to set up the C1-C3 dial points to automatically set the camera up for different types of photography; ie one for Macro & one for Birds.. My confusion, is does the coke under setting up Custom settings or is this Memory recall?

Also, once I set these up, can changing the dial, also change the changes I have made to customer buttons?

Thank you for you help & support :)
It’s memory recall and I’m pretty sure it saves changes to custom buttons. One thing to note is that if you are using a memory location eg C1 and change settings then turn the camera off, when you turn it back on it will still have the changed settings. The only way to go back to what you stored in the memory is to change the mode dial and then go back to C1.

I personally don’t like this and wish it went back to the original stored memory when you turn the camera off but some prefer it as it is.

It’s memory recall and I’m pretty sure it saves changes to custom buttons. One thing to note is that if you are using a memory location eg C1 and change settings then turn the camera off, when you turn it back on it will still have the changed settings. The only way to go back to what you stored in the memory is to change the mode dial and then go back to C1.

I personally don’t like this and wish it went back to the original stored memory when you turn the camera off but some prefer it as it is.
Thank you very much for this and sorting my confusion! I will make sure I now follow Memory Recall in order to set this up.

Thank you also for the tip, I suppose I will work out if it works for me or not once I start using it :)

Just sold my last one sorry mate lol
I am getting a Harley.
I will likely pick up a Sony RX10iv in the future as I feel a bridge camera will suit me better and will get a lot more use.
I haven't used my gear a lot over the last couple of years tbh, and when I have I've started to find the 200-600mm lens too heavy. More often I'm finding the camera doesn't leave my bag. An RX10 will be smaller and lighter overall and will be easier to carry on my walls with the dog etc, but still have the same range as I currently have with my 3 lenses....24mm-600mm.
I may regret it, but if I feel unhappy with my decision, I'll pop into the garage and polish the bike.
I've sold my MX5 too as it wasn't getting much use. Tbh I only bought it as I wasn't allowed a bike at the time :LOL:

Last edited:
I am getting a Harley.
I will likely pick up a Sony RX10iv in the future as I feel a bridge camera will suit me better and will get a lot more use.
I haven't used my gear a lot over the last couple of years tbh, and when I have I've started to find the 200-600mm lens too heavy. More often I'm finding the camera doesn't leave my bag. An RX10 will be smaller and lighter overall and will be easier to carry on my walls with the dog etc, but still have the same range as I currently have with my 3 lenses....24mm-600mm.
I may regret it, but if I feel unhappy with my decision, I'll pop into the garage and polish the bike.
I've sold my MX5 too as it wasn't getting much use.

Ouch.

I have three cars now and I suppose I need to make a decision but parting with any of them will be painful as they all do something well.

I am getting a Harley.
I've sold my MX5 too as it wasn't getting much use. Tbh I only bought it as I wasn't allowed a bike at the time :LOL:

Double ouch, very nearly got a Harley many years ago one hell of a bike.

Ouch.

I have three cars now and I suppose I need to make a decision but parting with any of them will be painful as they all do something well.
I will be sad to see it go, but I'll get more use from a bike, and will enjoy it more.
I've had dozens of bikes over the years, but never a Harley, so time to scratch that itch....my sports bike days are over....

Well, that is a change in direction :D

Can you fit your photo gear on a Harley? It's not an issue with my Evoque :D
I can get my camera gear on my Harley no problem ;)
I will be sad to see it go, but I'll get more use from a bike, and will enjoy it more.
I've had dozens of bikes over the years, but never a Harley, so time to scratch that itch....my sports bike days are over....
Which model are you getting?

Not sure. It won't be a new one.
I'm unsure whether to get a 1200 sportster custom or something like a softail/dyna/Road King....
What have you got?
Milwaukee Eight Road King. I love the look of the Fat Boy but riding it not so much. I also really like the Forty Eight but it’s too small for me.

A9_01515-Edit-2-2 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_01824 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back