The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nice even lighting on that. What technique/software have you used to clean up the noise?
Thanks @snerkler I used Affinity and selected the background and used the in-house denoise filter. Nothing fancy

I feel this is the problem with my photos, technically correct but boring/lacking in character. I've tried hard to make them more interesting but I don't seem to find that magic :thinking: I do get the odd image I'm happy with though (y)
You're a very harsh critic on yourself as I think you take great pictures, not just technically excellent ones.

My photos are certainly not up to the standard here despite being similar equipment which frustrates me at times but I'm mostly taking pictures to capture the memories and I'm glad to my photos for that. I was uploading my 2022 photos to the photoframes in the house and I really enjoy seeing the photos as I find I forget more than I've realised.

I was reading the reviews of the 60-600mm and they highlight the size and weight which after looking at the side by side specs alongside the Sigma 100-400mm and Tamron 150-600mm it's definitely too big for me I think.

I've nearly finished sorting through pictures and reprocessing, found a couple I like.

A7 and a Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2.

6Z0Ffkr.jpg

ZrFNn5u.jpg

That was the first time she went to the top of the cliff and and at one point it looked like I was going to have to carry her and call for oxygen :D

I think this is the first stitch I did, 85mm f2 again.

CTOaG66.jpg

I wish I'd got more width to the picture but something went wrong as this is all I got.

Last edited:
My photos are certainly not up to the standard here despite being similar equipment which frustrates me at times but I'm mostly taking pictures to capture the memories and I'm glad to my photos for that. I was uploading my 2022 photos to the photoframes in the house and I really enjoy seeing the photos as I find I forget more than I've realised.

Ditto for me.

All I want is memories and nice pictures. I often put a slideshow on and watch a few go by as I'm in and out of the room. Plus I like taking and processing pictures :D

You're a very harsh critic on yourself as I think you take great pictures, not just technically excellent ones.
Thanks that's very kind. I just wish I was more 'artistic' and could capture the feel of light better (y)

Guys on me phone and in a rush but want a new wide for A1 had sigma 14-24 but heavy and no front filters so sold it

What would you get
Sigma 16-28
Tammy
Sony F4 pz
Or grey 16-35 f2.8 ?

Thanks

Guys on me phone and in a rush but want a new wide for A1 had sigma 14-24 but heavy and no front filters so sold it

What would you get
Sigma 16-28
Tammy
Sony F4 pz
Or grey 16-35 f2.8 ?

Thanks
Depends whether the f2.8 is important to you or not, or whether you'll be stopping down to f8 etc? If it's the latter I'd go for the f4 PZ (if you get on with the zoom) otherwise the Sony GM.

Depends whether the f2.8 is important to you or not, or whether you'll be stopping down to f8 etc? If it's the latter I'd go for the f4 PZ (if you get on with the zoom) otherwise the Sony GM.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking Snerky but it just pains me to pay near on a grand for an F4 when 2.8 is 200 quid more, but of course heavier

I suppose other area f4 is best for me is filter I think is 72 which aligns with the 105 and 100-400 the 2.8 is 82

Ok thanks

Yeah that’s what I was thinking Snerky but it just pains me to pay near on a grand for an F4 when 2.8 is 200 quid more, but of course heavier

I suppose other area f4 is best for me is filter I think is 72 which aligns with the 105 and 100-400 the 2.8 is 82

Ok thanks
I didn't realise there was so little in it tbh. If weight's not an issue then go for the GM. There is always the Sony Zeiss f4 which is much cheaper and somewhere in between weight wise. I really like mine.

Of course there's the rumour that there'll be a 16-35mm f2.8 GM II will be announced in Feb which if true I'd expect to be lighter than the Mark I.

What have you got on the OM2?

I have Oly lenses from 24 to 135mm. I think my favourites are the 50mm f1,8 and f1.4.

Ah. It is IMO a good lens. It's a bit softer than some of the other film era 50mm f1.4's I have but on digital it responds nicely to sharpening. No idea how it performs on film so hopefully you'll be posting a little review at some point?

Good luck with it :D

PS.
I forgot to mention. On my A7 at least the results from that lens look very nice and for people pictures and the colour and tone it gives second only to the Takumar 50mm f1.4. IMO :D It is better that the Takumar in a couple or areas, IMO.

Last edited:
Anyone use a case on thier Sony , have seen the silicon types and a Leather type half case, and the sticker skin type as well

Just bought a new Body andwould Like to keep it new looking

Lim’s half leather case is nice, it’s about £100 though. It has a built in Arca Swiss mount as a base too. Opening for the battery door. So good I got it for both my A73.

I have a half case on my A7. I fitted it because the cover is bubbling but it does look nice.

Never been a fan of cases, whether it be camera, phone or whatever. Yes it’s in a bag for carrying etc but when using I just take good care (y)

Anyone use a case on thier Sony , have seen the silicon types and a Leather type half case, and the sticker skin type as well

Just bought a new Body andwould Like to keep it new looking

I use either a cheap PU leather half case to keep the weight down or a smallrig L bracket, but don't use the camera 'naked'.

Toying with yet more ideas I’m wanting a cheap ish lightweight circa 50mm prime for travel/holidays on the off chance that I’ll use it.

Choices are:-

Sony 50mm f1.8
Samyang 45mm f1.8
Used Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8.

All have pros and cons. World class AF certainly not needed so it’s more about rendering, cost and weight.

Any thoughts?

Toying with yet more ideas I’m wanting a cheap ish lightweight circa 50mm prime for travel/holidays on the off chance that I’ll use it.

Sony 50mm f1.8
Samyang 45mm f1.8

All have pros and cons. World class AF certainly not needed so it’s more about rendering, cost and weight.

Any thoughts?

I've had all 3. Optically the Sony 50 f1.8 is nice, but AF so poor that I returned it to Amazon even at £135.
The Sammy is nice, light, crisp, AF ok. Mine got bashed hard and doesn't work well now.
Zeiss 55 is a good lens that's very neutral and crisp. Focal length is a little too long and CA strong but that's not the end of the world.

For travel I'd probably pick the Sammy.

I've had all 3. Optically the Sony 50 f1.8 is nice, but AF so poor that I returned it to Amazon even at £135.
The Sammy is nice, light, crisp, AF ok. Mine got bashed hard and doesn't work well now.
Zeiss 55 is a good lens that's very neutral and crisp. Focal length is a little too long and CA strong but that's not the end of the world.

Thanks I've had the Samyang before and really liked it, my only 'concern' is the price over the Sony. I'm not sure how much use it would get, especially considering I have the 50mm f1.4 for none travel shots.

If you don't need f1.x maybe the tiny 50mm f2.5 G is worth a look?

I like the 24mm f2.8 G as it's tiny, IMO it gives good IQ after correction and it's nicely made and has an aperture ring and the 40 and 50mm f2.5 do seem to do well in reviews with the only negatives possibly being the price and that they're not f1.x.

I'd probably have bought ether the 40 or 50mm G but I have the old 35mm f2.8 which is close enough to stop me buying them.

Thanks I've had the Samyang before and really liked it, my only 'concern' is the price over the Sony. I'm not sure how much use it would get, especially considering I have the 50mm f1.4 for none travel shots.
I received an extra unwanted Samyang 45mm f/1.8 for Christmas I can put on classified @snerkler if you're in the market for one

I didn't realise there was so little in it tbh. If weight's not an issue then go for the GM. There is always the Sony Zeiss f4 which is much cheaper and somewhere in between weight wise. I really like mine.

Of course there's the rumour that there'll be a 16-35mm f2.8 GM II will be announced in Feb which if true I'd expect to be lighter than the Mark I.
I was looking at the Sony Zeiss f4 but was wondering why they are so reasonably priced S/H. Are they any good?

I found the same with the Sony 50mm which put me off using it, I wasn't needing sports fast AF or anything but I found on simple portrait type shots it was slow to lock focus feeling like an old CDAF system.

Last edited:

Sony 50mm f1.8
Samyang 45mm f1.8

Any thoughts?

Don't you have a Samyang 50 f/1.4, why not just take that? It's a reasonable size and weight.

If that isn't an option and the only choice is those 3 personally I would go with the Samyang 45mm. The Sony 50mm has quite slow a.f and the 55mm while being nice and small and also being quite sharp for me doesn't have nice rendering and colours can also be a little bit meh, a.f is quick and reliable though. Samyang 45mm is decent if you get a good copy. 55mm might also be a bit long if its the only lens you bring.

50mm wouldn't be my choice for travel and holidays, if it was me I would probably be wanting a 35mm, if you are looking for a one lens type thing.

What are my best options for CF type A cards for my A1?

160GB+.

I would like to buy at least one fast card to go with my existing SD cards.

Ta

They honestly aren’t needed even for video. High spec v90 sd cards will work just as well. The only advantage CF cards will give us quicker transfer to your computer.

I received an extra unwanted Samyang 45mm f/1.8 for Christmas I can put on classified @snerkler if you're in the market for one
Thanks, I'll let you know.
I was looking at the Sony Zeiss f4 but was wondering why they are so reasonably priced S/H. Are they any good?
I really like mine, plenty sharp enough imo (I only use it stopped down)
Don't you have a Samyang 50 f/1.4, why not just take that? It's a reasonable size and weight.

If that isn't an option and the only choice is those 3 personally I would go with the Samyang 45mm. The Sony 50mm has quite slow a.f and the 55mm while being nice and small and also being quite sharp for me doesn't have nice rendering and colours can also be a little bit meh, a.f is quick and reliable though. Samyang 45mm is decent if you get a good copy. 55mm might also be a bit long if its the only lens you bring.

50mm wouldn't be my choice for travel and holidays, if it was me I would probably be wanting a 35mm, if you are looking for a one lens type thing.
The f1.4 is a bit bigger than I'd plan on taking tbh. I do have the 35mm f1.8, I prefer the 50mm range (y)

Back