The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks gents, I will have a look at your recommendations.

FYI. You can set min shutter speed as part of auto iso.
I found a Mark Galer video on A9 action settings and he mentioned it
Ahh I see what you mean. Not something I'd do as it's not a quick change if you want a different shutter speed. Much easier to just shoot in manual mode setting both Aperture and Shutter Speed and then having Auto ISO if you wish.

Validation from strangers needed :D

I’m seriously considering replacing my A7Riii with an A7IV. The main reason for this is the autofocus capabilities of the A7IV. I’m ok with the loss of resolution and I don’t have one particular genre of photography that I practice exclusively, so think that the A7IV is probably a better option for someone like me who flits from genre to genre depending on what takes my fancy at the time. I know they are both fantastic cameras. Anyone here made a similar switch? Happy with your decision?

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:

I’m seriously considering replacing my A7Riii with an A7IV. The main reason for this is the autofocus capabilities of the A7IV. I’m ok with the loss of resolution and I don’t have one particular genre of photography that I practice exclusively, so think that the A7IV is probably a better option for someone like me who flits from genre to genre depending on what takes my fancy at the time. I know they are both fantastic cameras. Anyone here made a similar switch? Happy with your decision?

Cheers

Nick
I went from A7RII to A7RIII to A7RIV(+A7C) to A1 back down to A7RIV (for a few days) and then to A7IV.
Pretty happy with A7IV tbh, and really happy with the better AF compared to A7RIV. I wouldn't go back to it.
Obviously A1 would be nice but its not within my means at the moment. May be again in the future.

I am kinda waiting now to see what sony come out with for A7Cii and A9III.

Last edited:

Cheers

Nick
Is there a reason the A7RV isn't on the cards, has the resolution with the latest AF system? That being said, most of the time 24mp is plenty, having 33mp gives you that bit extra for cropping and it's a great all rounder.

I'm surprised that A9 and 50mm f1.2 in the for sale section hasn't been snapped up, yet :D

The A9 seems a bit expensive, though I guess the extra batteries add value. They tend to sell for +/- £1000 these days.

The A9 seems a bit expensive, though I guess the extra batteries add value. They tend to sell for +/- £1000 these days.

Neither of these are seriously on my radar but I'd maybe expect a couple of cheeky offers. Maybe times are hard.

Lovely :)

The ruins look very interesting!!

Last minute packing for holiday Saturday & it seems I must have left my night sky intervalometer on the hill opposite Corfe Castle a few weeks ago!! :rolleyes: :headbang::ROFLMAO:
Thanks, Dunstanburgh Castle is cool and it's a great walk.

Oh that's pants, I hope you find it somewhere but if not I hope they're not expensive.

Thanks, Dunstanburgh Castle is cool and it's a great walk.

Oh that's pants, I hope you find it somewhere but if not I hope they're not expensive.

It's not in my camera backpack. It's not in the padded insert that I keep all my night sky stuff in.

The annoying thing is I was going to pack a few nights ago but couldn't be bothered...... Of course now, it's too late to order one for delivery tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Not expensive, generic Chinese wired one - about £15 I think.

I'll have to max out at 30 seconds on the tracker but at least I can shoot silent with the built in intervalometer I suppose. Or I can pinch by boys remote while he is shooting foregrounds ;)

That's all presuming we get a clear sky anyway of course.....:ROFLMAO:

Is there a reason the A7RV isn't on the cards, has the resolution with the latest AF system? That being said, most of the time 24mp is plenty, having 33mp gives you that bit extra for cropping and it's a great all rounder.
I think it’s exactly that, a great all rounder. I wasn’t really thinking too much about the A7RIV as I thought the low light capabilities of the A7IV would probably be better, just as the A7iii appears to be better than the A7Riii in low light. Is that a fair assumption on my part?

Cheers

Neither of these are seriously on my radar but I'd maybe expect a couple of cheeky offers. Maybe times are hard.
I have really struggled to sell my lenses. Normally I can get them sold in a few days, max a couple weeks.
Its been a hard sell unless you really under value the lenses or sell them close to trade-in prices (at which point I might as well tradein and save the hassle)

I think it’s exactly that, a great all rounder. I wasn’t really thinking too much about the A7RIV as I thought the low light capabilities of the A7IV would probably be better, just as the A7iii appears to be better than the A7Riii in low light. Is that a fair assumption on my part?

Cheers

The differences in low light performance is negligible. I invite you to watch this....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYXFwBsKQ0

If you can afford the A7V, that's the one you should get... having said that for a grand more you can also get a used A1 ;)

I have really struggled to sell my lenses. Normally I can get them sold in a few days, max a couple weeks.
Its been a hard sell unless you really under value the lenses or sell them close to trade-in prices (at which point I might as well tradein and save the hassle)

I think I've given up advertising here and as some buyers will even send a box there doesn't seem to be much point dealing with the low balls here.

Cheers
I was talking about the A7RV not A7RIV (y)

Noise isn’t really an issue for most of the latest Sonys, and don’t forget for the high res you’re going to be down sampling a lot of the time.

For me it’d come down to budget and whether your computer can handle the larger files.

I think I've given up advertising here and as some buyers will even send a box there doesn't seem to be much point dealing with the low balls here.
well the idea is what goes around comes around.... so you get a nice deal on here and you pass it back on when you come to selling it again
nice in theory, I guess doesn't always work out. For stuff I buy on here I do try to advertise it here first so people can get the same nice deal. but sometimes if you need something sold quickly just means you have to trade it in.

well the idea is what goes around comes around.... so you get a nice deal on here and you pass it back on when you come to selling it again
nice in theory, I guess doesn't always work out. For stuff I buy on here I do try to advertise it here first so people can get the same nice deal. but sometimes if you need something sold quickly just means you have to trade it in.

I've bought and sold here but more recently being bid amounts that don't make the effort seem worthwhile when I've stated I'm paying the postage has put me off. Selling to a dealer seems the more attractive option at the mo and if not there's always charities and good causes to donate to.

I was talking about the A7RV not A7RIV (y)

Noise isn’t really an issue for most of the latest Sonys, and don’t forget for the high res you’re going to be down sampling a lot of the time.

For me it’d come down to budget and whether your computer can handle the larger files.
Ahh sorry missed that. Unfortunately, budget is a big factor. I’d be looking to trade for a second hand A7IV.

Ahh sorry missed that. Unfortunately, budget is a big factor. I’d be looking to trade for a second hand A7IV.
I think you’d see a big improvement in overall performance going from the A7RIII to the A7IV, and unless you’re a big wildlife shooter I doubt you’ll miss the extra res, you’re only dropping 9mp. The A7 IV has better ergonomics as well imo.

Have you received the Pergear cards yet?
Yep - received. Just tested it across a couple of different software read/write tests.

On one the Peargear was faster slightly, the other the Sony was slightly faster. Marginal tho. I’d say they perform the same. Certainly faster than the 400mbs write which they show as minimum speed.

Yep - received. Just tested it across a couple of different software read/write tests.

On one the Peargear was faster slightly, the other the Sony was slightly faster. Marginal tho. I’d say they perform the same. Certainly faster than the 400mbs write which they show as minimum speed.
Cool thanks, which Sony cards did you compare them too?

I’ll be interested to hear what the reliability is like.

The tiny HX90 can produce pictures in so many situations, it can be hard to justify carrying anything bigger...

Indeed it is.

...and your point is? :thinking:

I think the point is that some people have a slightly higher expectation of quality than that moon picture of yours demonstrates. If someone has (and I can't possibly imagine why they would...) a higher expectation of quality than your picture displays they might put up with carrying something bigger to get that improved quality.

Cheers

Nick
Thats the switch I made, huge difference in AF capability.

My minty A7IV is in the classifieds as I’ve just switched to Leica but it’s going to a dealer very soon if no interest.

It would genuinely be a much nicer shooting experience. AF aside the ergonomics and menu are much better too. IQ is pretty much the same.

Its getting worse for higher priced gear. I didn’t even get a low ball on my 70-200GM II at £2050 delivered but got £1901 from camerajungle, it’s not worth even engaging with people who think they can buy it cheaper than a dealer.

Its getting worse for higher priced gear. I didn’t even get a low ball on my 70-200GM II at £2050 delivered but got £1901 from camerajungle, it’s not worth even engaging with people who think they can buy it cheaper than a dealer.
The issue there is grey importer will sell new items close to or cheaper than used prices. It also means grey imports are very close to trade-in prices. A lot of people here are happy to grey import.
(and I guess I have the same issue trying to sell my stuff)

I think you did well by sending it to a dealer. I was tempted to make you a £2k offer but it's money I haven't got at the moment :(

The issue there is grey importer will sell new items close to or cheaper than used prices. It also means grey imports are very close to trade-in prices. A lot of people here are happy to grey import.
(and I guess I have the same issue trying to sell my stuff)

I think you did well by sending it to a dealer. I was tempted to make you a £2k offer but it's money I haven't got at the moment :(
Depends what the item is, personally on a lens like that i'd rather know the warranty would be dealt with by Sony, other items i'd be happy with the Panamoz warranty but it's still more hassle having to get a quote and get them to pay you, then arrange the repair yourself.

I think your stuff is priced well, there's just not as much spare money around at the moment.

Indeed it is.

The thing is that you seem to be quite happy with 1970s newsprint image quality, because it contains a record of what you saw. But a substantial majority of people here want something better, often a great deal better than that. The reason most of us have spent substantial amounts of money on kit is that we've done the HX90 or equivalent photography and were very unhappy with it. For us, there's more to a picture than getting a subject somewhere in the frame.

I don't want to be nasty, so sorry if that's how this comes across.

No idea about the F4 but the GM2 is one of teh best lenses I have ever owned. Lightning fast and as sharp as most primes I have tried. Also feels very well built but still pretty light. For a couple of inches in length and 200g I would nearly always go for the faster lens especially when the F4 is a trombone style so ends up just as long

But a substantial majority of people here want something better,
It might be interesting to see if a poll of all the registered members supported that assertion.
I don't want to be nasty, so sorry if that's how this comes across.
No offence taken.

My reason for posting the picture was as stated, to indicate that such a tiny and relatively inexpensive camera could capture a view like that. The point is made by something I read somewhere: "It is irrelevant that the dog walks badly on two legs. It is astonishing that it can walk on two legs at all!"

Indeed it is.

Sorry if I didn't explain very well. Some of us like to have good image quality as well as a record of an event/moment etc therefore images like the one you posted don't cut it (sorry don't mean to offend) and therefore it's not hard to justify carrying bigger heavier gear. Even for holiday snap shots like those I've been posting this week I want nice image quality and therefore am prepared to carry my camera and a couple of lenses.
Depends what the item is, personally on a lens like that i'd rather know the warranty would be dealt with by Sony, other items i'd be happy with the Panamoz warranty but it's still more hassle having to get a quote and get them to pay you, then arrange the repair yourself.

I think your stuff is priced well, there's just not as much spare money around at the moment.
Is there a reason you're happy having other items (possibly even a camera) covered by third party warranty but not lenses?

AFAIK with Panamoz the items go back to the manufacturer service centre and not a third party one, unless it's changed?

I want a 70-200 for my a1. New f/4 looks nice. But is it enough cheaper than the f/2.8?

I need to understand pros and cons! Weight, size etc.

Anyone any thoughts?
The new f4 is compelling and it's a tough call. The GM2 is an incredible lens, and at just over 1kg it's not excessively heavy.

I'm sure the new f4 will have great IQ and AF so for me it'd be a question whether the extra stop, internal zoom and maybe edge in IQ is worth the extra money and weight.

It might be interesting to see if a poll of all the registered members supported that assertion.
The fact this is an enthusiast forum, reading thousands of posts talking of image quality and looking at the vast majority of photos on here I think it's a fair assumption that most members value image quality. Of course, I could be wrong and have no issue with being proven so (y)

Back