The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Interested to see that breakdown across camera types. Sony cover a wider market across point and shoot, vlogging, APSc and full frame - in theory they should be up there as no.1 seller of cameras. Have to remind myself they are a mass producer of consumer electronics unlike other manufacturers who just make cameras. It’s a mass sales game for Sony. They have been far ahead of the game on mirrorless when other camera manufacturers tried to rely on keeping brand customers. But those have now caught up.

Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus certainly make other stuff. Who's left? I dunno. Fuji? I don't know what they make. I do remember years ago on a forum I used to visit at the time some people thought Canon was an upstart electronics company who should stick to making photo copiers and leave cameras and lenses to Nikon.

I also remember from my computer days when Tate and Lyle made computers and good ones too and computer people looked aghast. Actually what they'd done was spotted a good product and backed the company, my point being that it's the product that matters and no company should be sneered at because they or a subsidiary make something else unrelated to photography :D

Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus certainly make other stuff. Who's left? I dunno. Fuji? I don't know what they make. I do remember years ago on a forum I used to visit at the time some people thought Canon was an upstart electronics company who should stick to making photo copiers and leave cameras and lenses to Nikon.

I also remember from my computer days when Tate and Lyle made computers and good ones too and computer people looked aghast. Actually what they'd done was spotted a good product and backed the company, my point being that it's the product that matters and no company should be sneered at because they or a subsidiary make something else unrelated to photography :D
Sorry I don’t quite get your response. Not sneering at any company.

The quote was about Sony outselling Canon on camera units. I was making the point that Sony cover more bases with camera types as a consumer electronics company.

Canon make printers and scanners but I don’t think they make mass consumer electronics to the same scale as Sony (screens, games console etc). Sony also make components not mass consumer items as well.

Yes agree they manufacture other things and medical equipment - which is not about mass sales. Low unit high price, technical.

Olympus no longer make cameras - they sold that. Fuji have narrowed their market by sticking to APSc and medium format.

Point I was trying to make was that Sony should be number one camera sales at this stage in the game. They are producing as a consumer electronics company to the mass market that’s what they do. Their turnout in the market over the last 7 years or so across all models has been way bigger than any other “camera manufacturer”.

A6000, A6100, A6300, A6400, A6500, A6600, A6700
A7 (1 to 4). & A7c
A7r (1 to 5)
A7s
A9, A1
RX100 - (1 to 6)
ZV 1(1 & 2), ZV E1, E10
RX10 (1 to 4)
Not forgetting the video options

Probably missed a few as well.

Being in the Sony camp you have to be aware of their strategy if you suffer GAS like I do.

Is the A7c really that much smaller then?
I went to replace an a9 with an A7c to have a smaller camera, but unless you specifically buy a very, very compact lens for it or have a bag/pocket that somehow fits that but not an a7 series camera, I'd struggle to recommend it specifically from a size point of view.

Moving to the viewfinder of the a7c was like going back to an old APS-C DSLR in terms of size (compared to my a9, which I imagine is not even huge by current standards), I did love the flippy screen though.

I bit the bullet, sold it on and bought an RX1RII in the end, now that I love.

I went to replace an a9 with an A7c to have a smaller camera, but unless you specifically buy a very, very compact lens for it or have a bag/pocket that somehow fits that but not an a7 series camera, I'd struggle to recommend it specifically from a size point of view.

Moving to the viewfinder of the a7c was like going back to an old APS-C DSLR in terms of size (compared to my a9, which I imagine is not even huge by current standards), I did love the flippy screen though.

I bit the bullet, sold it on and bought an RX1RII in the end, now that I love.
Agree - I bought one thinking it would be my carry around. But would have had to buy a set of smaller lenses. Muscle memory and not having the front control wheel did me.

I was also surprised the eye piece could not be removed and replaced with different types.

If I want a pocket camera then I reach for my RX100vii.
Since moving to Sony 8 years ago, the a7c has been the longest and most used camera I've kept before upgrading.
With the Tamron 28-200 bolted on to it, it suits me perfectly.
Granted it doesn't do everything I need from a camera so that's where my a1 and RX100vii come into play.
A lot but not all of my work is tripod mounted so the viewfinder isn't a big problem to me.
My only bugbear is the lack of micro usb socket for remote shooting especially for timing incoming waves etc.
I don't think I've ever shot at 1/8000 so again that's not a problem for me.

If I want a pocket camera then I reach for my RX100vii.
Since moving to Sony 8 years ago, the a7c has been the longest and most used camera I've kept before upgrading.
With the Tamron 28-200 bolted on to it, it suits me perfectly.
Granted it doesn't do everything I need from a camera so that's where my a1 and RX100vii come into play.
A lot but not all of my work is tripod mounted so the viewfinder isn't a big problem to me.
My only bugbear is the lack of micro usb socket for remote shooting especially for timing incoming waves etc.
I don't think I've ever shot at 1/8000 so again that's not a problem for me.
I still sometimes consider the RX100 series, but I just know how picky I am with IQ :headbang:

I still sometimes consider the RX100 series, but I just know how picky I am with IQ :headbang:
I was in town yesterday with A7R5 and Tammy 28-75. Unusually for me, I wished for something smaller. In the past I’ve considered and rejected RX1R ii. Looking again…

I was in town yesterday with A7R5 and Tammy 28-75. Unusually for me, I wished for something smaller. In the past I’ve considered and rejected RX1R ii. Looking again…

having used pretty much all (non-lieca/zeiss) compacts with a prime lens at this point they all don't feel anywhere near as responsive as Sony A7 bodies (3rd gen and above).
you'll have a better time with A7C+40mm prime or wait for A7Cr (even though I don't believe there'll be one)

I had a play with a RX1Rii and couldn't believe just how small it was, particularly compared to the Q2 which isn't that small. At the right used price I would be tempted (particularly if Sony ever make a mk3 version and used prices fall further).

Not your mate with the 50Sii ?

Yep! He mainly shots mono (partly as he is red/green colour blind), personally I'm not sure its the right choice, as I don't feel you have as much flexibility with the Leica files as you do with the GFX, but the Monochrom may be different. He still has X-T1/X-T3 and lenses, and to keep it within this thread he has an RX100III as well!!!

having used pretty much all (non-lieca/zeiss) compacts with a prime lens at this point they all don't feel anywhere near as responsive as Sony A7 bodies (3rd gen and above).
you'll have a better time with A7C+40mm prime or wait for A7Cr (even though I don't believe there'll be one)
I need to put the 35GM on the camera. Go walkabout and see how I feel. Always been happy to have this combination in the past.

Leica Q variant is the obvious choice for you! (again!)

The Q's a pretty big camera though, if you're happy with 35mm then the RX1 is much more compact.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 15.21.25.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 15.21.52.jpg

Last edited:
I had a play with a RX1Rii and couldn't believe just how small it was, particularly compared to the Q2 which isn't that small. At the right used price I would be tempted (particularly if Sony ever make a mk3 version and used prices fall further).

It's amazing but you've got to learn to love it as it's also a pain in the butt! Despite being significantly quicker (in all respects) than the MK1 (which I also had) it's still fairly slow to do pretty much anything.

Losing the AF module from newer Sony's also hurt pretty hard, I did find a workaround to get over the lack of BBF which is to switch to MF then couple the AEL button to focus. I'm much, much happier with it since I discovered that, but battery life is also hilariously bad.

I'm surprised an RX1RIII doesn't exist, especially if they wrapped it with a bit of silver to make it look retro ;) AF from the a7III at least, slightly bigger battery, they'd maybe eat into that absolutely insane Fuji X100V market.

Got mine for £1500 from CEX of all places,

Last edited:
The Q's a pretty big camera though, if you're happy with 35mm then the RX1 is much more compact.

View attachment 396566
View attachment 396567

Toby, if you ever have the pleasure of shooting with that Leica Q lens, then you'd put up with the size difference, its in a different league. But of course you could spend weeks agonising over the choice, just like the 50mm Samyang v 50mm Sony F1.2 GM :ROFLMAO: - at the end of the day IQ usually wins through.

Toby, if you ever have the pleasure of shooting with that Leica Q lens, then you'd put up with the size difference, its in a different league. But of course you could spend weeks agonising over the choice, just like the 50mm Samyang v 50mm Sony F1.2 GM :ROFLMAO: - at the end of the day IQ usually wins through.
I did have a play with a Q in store, it's really well put together and feels proper quality but the ergonomics weren't for me. Of course I assume there's optional grips etc for it, but it's not a camera I'd ever consider so I've never looked into it (y)

I did have a play with a Q in store, it's really well put together and feels proper quality but the ergonomics weren't for me. Of course I assume there's optional grips etc for it, but it's not a camera I'd ever consider so I've never looked into it (y)

At the moment, a Q variant is the only (digital) camera on my radar, but I've not found enough down the back of the sofa yet. I've got quite small hands, so the ergonomics are fine for me.

View attachment 396566
View attachment 396567
Yes Leica Q is pretty big. Wouldn't even consider it a compact tbh.
RX1RII is still within "compact" realms. It's based on the A7Rii platform. So not the most responsive of Sony bodies but it was the point that Sony started making breakthrough on eyeAF and tracking.

Yes Leica Q is pretty big. Wouldn't even consider it a compact tbh.
RX1RII is still within "compact" realms. It's based on the A7Rii platform. So not the most responsive of Sony bodies but it was the point that Sony started making breakthrough on eyeAF and tracking.
I’m guessing they’ve ditched the RX1’s though as there’s not been a new release or even a rumour of one for quite some time.

I’m guessing they’ve ditched the RX1’s though as there’s not been a new release or even a rumour of one for quite some time.

Sadly, I think you are not wrong.
A Mk3 with A7RV tech with RX100vii EVF would be amazing.
But RX1rII was never cheap, so you are looking at a £3K camera probably. I am guessing there isn't much of a market for that and anyone willing to pay that kind of money for a FF compact with a fixed lens is probably also looking at Leicas.

I'm surprised an RX1RIII doesn't exist, especially if they wrapped it with a bit of silver to make it look retro ;) AF from the a7III at least, slightly bigger battery, they'd maybe eat into that absolutely insane Fuji X100V market.

Got mine for £1500 from CEX of all places,
X100V fiasco has made even RX1RII very expensive, £1500 seems like a bargain price.

Last edited:

Have to remind myself they are a mass producer of consumer electronics unlike other manufacturers who just make cameras.

I haven't got a lot of gas and what I do have is for manual lenses. My A7 is coming up to 10 years old now.

Sony isn't the only big electronics company in the photography business, Panasonic are also a massive company with a very wide range of products. I don't see any real reason we should expect Sony or Panasonic to take the market by storm and dominate out of the blocks (look at Samsung, a massive company who got nowhere and got out) as these are at least to some extent still arguably early and transition days in a market with some degree of resistance to newcomers and some traditional brand loyalties. Sony have I think done well and over more time as the need for compatibility with old DSLR lenses fades and fanboys die off I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony dominating even more, and they have come a long way to be where they are now.

Glad you're not sneering though but sadly I think even these days some do. We've seen everything in this thread and on this and other sites over the years from Sony cameras being too small and toy like to being the size of DSLR's so it's pointless buying one and anyway they should stick to making playstations. Ergonomics, menus and colour science often take a kicking too. I don't care if my gear is made in Thailand by Sony or Vietnam by Nikon and I don't care about the badge on the gear or backward compatibility with DSLR lenses but some people still do and I think that thinking and those needs do still play a part and if they do it's no real surprise that Sony haven't hit No.1 sooner and stayed there crushing all competition along the way.

I think the future of photography is more likely with the electronics companies and especially Sony. I doubt 20 somethings care about marque heritage with Canikon or compatibility with DSLR lenses because they're too young to have them and Sony is a brand they'll know and they'll be willing to buy. I think marques and backwards compatibility are mostly older men things. If there is a future for cameras and lenses as we know and love them maybe Sony will be the behemoth in the market. Lots of vloggers do seem to be buying Sony kit.

I sometimes think about a Q but TBH my GX80 and 14mm f2.5 is good enough for what I need a lot of the time and it cost peanuts :D

If the greats of the past were doing what they did today would they be using a £5k Leica? Maybe :D

A few hours out and my A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 came too.

Picnic in the rain.

DSC02860.jpg

And then there was sunshine.

DSC02868.jpg

I had a thought the other day, I used to take a lot of pictures with a 50mm at f5 so I could get a similar look from a 35mm at f3.5 (50/5=10mm, 35/3.5=10mm) so I decided to take more pictures at f3.5 when using a 35mm :D

Last edited:

The quote was about Sony outselling Canon on camera units. I was making the point that Sony cover more bases with camera types as a consumer electronics company.

Canon make printers and scanners but I don’t think they make mass consumer electronics to the same scale as Sony (screens, games console etc). Sony also make components not mass consumer items as well.

Yes agree they manufacture other things and medical equipment - which is not about mass sales. Low unit high price, technical.

Olympus no longer make cameras - they sold that. Fuji have narrowed their market by sticking to APSc and medium format.

Point I was trying to make was that Sony should be number one camera sales at this stage in the game. They are producing as a consumer electronics company to the mass market that’s what they do. Their turnout in the market over the last 7 years or so across all models has been way bigger than any other “camera manufacturer”.

A6000, A6100, A6300, A6400, A6500, A6600, A6700
A7 (1 to 4). & A7c
A7r (1 to 5)
A7s
A9, A1
RX100 - (1 to 6)
ZV 1(1 & 2), ZV E1, E10
RX10 (1 to 4)
Not forgetting the video options

Probably missed a few as well.

Being in the Sony camp you have to be aware of their strategy if you suffer GAS like I do.
Samyang make noodles

A few hours out and my A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 came too.

Picnic in the rain.

View attachment 396587

And then there was sunshine.

View attachment 396588

I had a thought the other day, I used to take a lot of pictures with a 50mm at f5 so I could get a similar look from a 35mm at f3.5 (50/5=10mm, 35/3.5=10mm) so I decided to take more pictures at f3.5 when using a 35mm :D

What are those numbers you talk about on a prime lens? Never heard of them..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What are those numbers you talk about on a prime lens? Never heard of them..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I don't know how you guys manage with your f1.2's.

After getting the Syoptic f1.1, f1.2 just doesn't cut it for me any more :D

The trip of my life was probably my last trip to Kazakhstan with my 5D and 50mm f1.4. The light there even indoors was just so much better than any I've seen before and I do keep thinking back to those days with that 50mm f1.4. I did use it at f1.4 but a lot of the time it was at f5 and I just thought giving 35mm a go with a 10mm aperture might be interesting. I'll report back :D

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys manage with your f1.2's.

After getting the Syoptic f1.1, f1.2 just doesn't cut it for me any more :D

The trip of my life was probably my last trip to Kazakhstan with my 5D and 50mm f1.4. The light there even indoors was just so much better than any I've seen before and I do keep thinking back to those days with that 50mm f1.4. I did use it at f1.4 but a lot of the time it was at f5 and I just thought giving 35mm a go with a 10mm aperture might be interesting. I'll report back :D

Hi Borat

Is niceeee

Hi Borat

Is niceeee

When I was made aware of Borat I couldn't believe it was supposed to be Kazakhstan. I did howl with laughter at it :D

If you ever get the chance I'd say go. When I went I had to fiddle a visa via a company in Belgium but these days you can just go. It's a fantastic country with so much to see and the women are... interesting :D I'd go again in a heartbeat. My Kazakh then GF (I met her in Darlington) lives in Ireland now,

Back