The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Even when I'm shooting bursts at weddings they're plenty quick enough for me. Especially when one of my last weddings I accidentally moved the A9ii to shoot high speed, so took 4000 photos by 4pm (on one camera) and didn't even notice the buffering etc.

I was shooting some dressage and just forgot it was in 20fps so when it came to the horse doing a walk transition the amount of shots that were literally identical was quite large!

I was shooting some dressage and just forgot it was in 20fps so when it came to the horse doing a walk transition the amount of shots that were literally identical was quite large!
That's the trouble with high frame rates, as I've mentioned before I don't use my camera at 30fps for this reason, and rarely 20fps. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for those folk shooting 120fps with the A9III :eek: :facepalm:

That's the trouble with high frame rates, as I've mentioned before I don't use my camera at 30fps for this reason, and rarely 20fps. Can you imagine what it's going to be like for those folk shooting 120fps with the A9III :eek: :facepalm:

I didn’t know it did 120fps. I’m struggling to understand when you would want that :ROFLMAO:

I didn’t know it did 120fps. I’m struggling to understand when you would want that :ROFLMAO:
I'm with you on this yet some are already saying they'll find it useful for sports etc. I can't help but think it's number chasing, I mean if I can't get the shot at 30fps I'm doing something wrong. However, that's just my opinion and I appreciate others feel differently (y)

I'm with you on this yet some are already saying they'll find it useful for sports etc. I can't help but think it's number chasing, I mean if I can't get the shot at 30fps I'm doing something wrong. However, that's just my opinion and I appreciate others feel differently (y)

I remember when I was shooting sports with my Olympus E-620. Literally had to nail the 1 shot!

Thank you. Was about the best I could manage with the non existent sunrise colour.
Looks great, very contemporary. This would look great blown up and put on the wall (y)

Last edited:
Quick question,does anyone use SOOC jpegs on full frame mirrorless? As mentioned in an earlier post I've inherited A7C ,last Sony camera I used was A77 2 and processed all RAW files but it became time consuming with other hobbies to fit in as well so went Fuji for the ease of pleasing jpegs,still not got out with A7C to try yet but was interested to see if everyone edited their photos.

Quick question,does anyone use SOOC jpegs on full frame mirrorless? As mentioned in an earlier post I've inherited A7C ,last Sony camera I used was A77 2 and processed all RAW files but it became time consuming with other hobbies to fit in as well so went Fuji for the ease of pleasing jpegs,still not got out with A7C to try yet but was interested to see if everyone edited their photos.
There's a couple on here that use SOOC jepgs but most process raw. Raw does not have to be any more time consuming than JPEG, all you need to do is create a preset that you are happy with and then you can apply this on import, therefore all you have to do is import the files onto your computer and job done. You can also get presets that match (near enough) the Fuji film emulations if that's your preference.

Easy - I used this for video on a wedding

SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC card + RescuePRO Deluxe, up to 200MB/s, UHS-I, Class 10, U3, V30 https://amzn.eu/d/cf0jLGd

Or I use these

SABRENT SD card 128GB R/W 270/170MB/s, V60 SDXC card UHS-II, memory card SDHC, Class 10, U3, Full HD & 8K UHD card, for professional photographers, videographers, vloggers (SD-TL60-128GB) https://amzn.eu/d/4mCoMMb

I’d also stock up on batteries as 4k will eat them alive. Although I’d probably just shoot 1080.

Bit of a noob question, but when shooting video and moving subjects do you just need to focus on the initial subject and the video with track automatically (I am guessing in real time tracking mode?) or do i need to keep the focus button down to keep tracking subjects?

Bit of a noob question, but when shooting video and moving subjects do you just need to focus on the initial subject and the video with track automatically (I am guessing in real time tracking mode?) or do i need to keep the focus button down to keep tracking subjects?

Not sure on the A9, on some you can do touch to focus/track so it tracks them. You don’t want to focussing like a photo as it’ll be all jumpy.

Also shoot in manual WB and exposure so it doesn’t change mid shot.

Last edited:
Not sure on the A9, on some you can do touch to focus/track so it tracks them. You don’t want to focussing like a photo as it’ll be all jumpy.

Also shoot in manual WB and exposure so it doesn’t change mid shot.

Yeah A9 has the touch to focus and track - think I did see that one in the menu!

Thanks for the WB tip - got a lot to learn!

There's a couple on here that use SOOC jepgs but most process raw. Raw does not have to be any more time consuming than JPEG, all you need to do is create a preset that you are happy with and then you can apply this on import, therefore all you have to do is import the files onto your computer and job done. You can also get presets that match (near enough) the Fuji film emulations if that's your preference.
Thanks for reply,after having no desktop/laptop/tablet for a number of years I've become such a technophobe,if I can't do it on my phone I'm buggered!
As well as camera I've also inherited what I believe is a decent laptop so I can now begin to learn post processing again.
Still not made decision on lens but I do like the sound and look of 16-35 pz and also the 20-70 f4

Anyone used the new version on Tamron 28-75?

Was going 35/85 combo but this looks quite good and around the same price.

Thanks for reply,after having no desktop/laptop/tablet for a number of years I've become such a technophobe,if I can't do it on my phone I'm buggered!
As well as camera I've also inherited what I believe is a decent laptop so I can now begin to learn post processing again.
Still not made decision on lens but I do like the sound and look of 16-35 pz and also the 20-70 f4
As much as Sony colours have improved over the years I'm still not a huge fan SOOC so will always process them. You can change the colours a little in camera but there's nowhere near enough control to get them how I'd want.

I've not tried the 16-35mm PZ, I keep fancying it but talk mysel out of it due to the power zoom. It's not so much the movement but lacking the definite stop so I won't know if I'm at 16mm without looking at the screen/VF.

I've just received my replacement 20-70mm f4 and am pleased to say there's no signs of decentering at 20mm, and at 70mm I'd say the top corners are a smidge softer than the bottom at f4 if being nit picky, but at f8 they're all sharp as a sharp thing. Even at f4 this lens is already very sharp, I just hope I'm not going to miss the 4mm at the wide end compared to teh 16-35mm.

First time out with the A7R5 this year.
Normally use the Olympus gear for Dog action shots, tried my Sony.
Didn't work out, needed to identify him when he's smaller in the frame.
Never mind. got some Static stuff I'm happy with.
@JJ! all with the Tammy 28-75 G2. Its a great lens.
Sometimes think i Should stick to just one system. Gonna be watching a great deal oy YouTube on the A9iii

Brody posing by Trevor, on Flickr

I'm Coming by Trevor, on Flickr

Brody posing-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Massey Ferguson 35 by Trevor, on Flickr

First time out with the A7R5 this year.
Normally use the Olympus gear for Dog action shots, tried my Sony.
Didn't work out, needed to identify him when he's smaller in the frame.
Never mind. got some Static stuff I'm happy with.
@JJ! all with the Tammy 28-75 G2. Its a great lens.
Sometimes think i Should stick to just one system. Gonna be watching a great deal oy YouTube on the A9iii

Brody posing by Trevor, on Flickr

I'm Coming by Trevor, on Flickr

Brody posing-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Massey Ferguson 35 by Trevor, on Flickr
That's disappointing to hear that the A7RV wasn't great at capturing action shots of Brody, this was my main complaint with the A7R4 but with a lot of comments I've seen the A7RV is supposedly much better but maybe it's still not quite there :(

I've found that trying to photograph dogs playing and getting the eyes tack sharp is one of the hardest things to capture, along with small fast BIF. Even the A1 with 70-200mm GM II doesn't nail every shot.

I keep looking at Olympus as I was always happy with them, I just have to keep reminding myself why I went all in with Sony ;)

When trying to see how low I can get the shutter speed for hand holding I've noticed that the A1 EVF blacks out for shutter speeds of 0.5s and slower, does anyone know why this is?

That's disappointing to hear that the A7RV wasn't great at capturing action shots of Brody, this was my main complaint with the A7R4 but with a lot of comments I've seen the A7RV is supposedly much better but maybe it's still not quite there :(

I've found that trying to photograph dogs playing and getting the eyes tack sharp is one of the hardest things to capture, along with small fast BIF. Even the A1 with 70-200mm GM II doesn't nail every shot.

I keep looking at Olympus as I was always happy with them, I just have to keep reminding myself why I went all in with Sony ;)
Toby. Didn’t spend too long trying to be honest. It seems to struggle on initial acquisition when he’s charging at me. Something the Olympus gets right most of the time.
A7R5 finds his eye reliably when he’s static or larger in the frame.

Toby. Didn’t spend too long trying to be honest. It seems to struggle on initial acquisition when he’s charging at me. Something the Olympus gets right most of the time.
A7R5 finds his eye reliably when he’s static or larger in the frame.
I think acquisition is the hardest part, that being said even when the A7RIV acquired focus and tracked a number of shots were back focussed when Betty was running at the camera. As I said though, the A1 isn't flawless and I think with her black face and dark eyes it must be very difficult for the camera to pick up on he eyes, as you can see it's not as though her eyes stand out much :LOL:

2oFKzMV[/MEDIA]
[URL='https://flic.kr/p/2oFKzMV']A1_07710
View: A1_07710[/url]View: https://flic.kr/p/2oFKzMV]A1_07710[/url[/url][/url]

] by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

As much as Sony colours have improved over the years I'm still not a huge fan SOOC so will always process them. You can change the colours a little in camera but there's nowhere near enough control to get them how I'd want.

I've not tried the 16-35mm PZ, I keep fancying it but talk mysel out of it due to the power zoom. It's not so much the movement but lacking the definite stop so I won't know if I'm at 16mm without looking at the screen/VF.

I've just received my replacement 20-70mm f4 and am pleased to say there's no signs of decentering at 20mm, and at 70mm I'd say the top corners are a smidge softer than the bottom at f4 if being nit picky, but at f8 they're all sharp as a sharp thing. Even at f4 this lens is already very sharp, I just hope I'm not going to miss the 4mm at the wide end compared to teh 16-35mm.
Eagerly awaiting some of your 20-70 pics

How is the focus and tracking on the A7iv compared to the original A9?

I know I would be losing the 20fps and blackout free shooting, but would gain a better body for hybrid shooting.

But are there any other benefits/drawbacks of moving from an A9 to the A7iv?

The A7iv has a dedicated setup for photos and one for video which is very handy if you’re hybrid shooting.

Other than that I can’t be much help

I know I would be losing the 20fps and blackout free shooting, but would gain a better body for hybrid shooting.

We have both but I don’t shoot any video. From a photo point of view I much prefer the A9. That is personal preference though.

The A7IV has newer a.f than the A9 although I personally found the A9 to be slightly more reliable but everyone thinks the opposite including my missus.

I also really dislike the flappy screen on the A7IV again personal preference and it’s maybe useful for video.

I never had the A9 but moved from A1 to A7iv.
The A7IV tracks really well and subject tracking is much improved especially compared to A9.

For video shooting where wouldn't care about blackout anyway A7iv might be a better hybrid body. As mentioned you have separate setups for stills and videos and you can flick between them using a dedicated dial. It's really nice.

You also have dual UHS-ii card slots, more ergonomic body too compared to A9

Main drawback is no 20fps or blackout free shooting. I'd say tracking on its own is just as good if not better on A7iv (based on how well it compares to the A1)

Last edited:
I have only been there once and it is a brilliant spot for landscapes when the tide is right. Nowhere near as much water this side of teh lighthouse when I was there and your shot works really well.

Thank you :)

Yes, it has to be a pretty high, spring tide to cover the lighthouse so it's not too common. Even less common to be at sunrise or sunset. The lighthouse sits at 10.5m so need to be at least 11m tide really.

Anyone used both the Sony 35mm 1.8 and Samyang 35mm 1.8?

Price difference new is currently only £68. When the Samyang first came out I think the price difference was quite a lot, but now they are similar price is there any reason to go for the Samyang? Unless after a budget set with the 75mm etc I guess?

Price difference new is currently only £68. When the Samyang first came out I think the price difference was quite a lot, but now they are similar price is there any reason to go for the Samyang? Unless after a budget set with the 75mm etc I guess?

I have used neither. However I generally prefer the rendering of Samyang to Sony lenses, and if that's something important to you (many would not notice at all) then you should explore further before committing. With Sony you will have better AF performance, and that may well override any fuss about rendering.

I have owned both and whilst I agree with Toni about Samyang rendering I sent two copies back due to severe decentering and bought the Sony which was flawless and I actually found there was little difference in the rendering between the two.

I never had the A9 but moved from A1 to A7iv.
The A7IV tracks really well and subject tracking is much improved especially compared to A9.

For video shooting where wouldn't care about blackout anyway A7iv might be a better hybrid body. As mentioned you have separate setups for stills and videos and you can flick between them using a dedicated dial. It's really nice.

You also have dual UHS-ii card slots, more ergonomic body too compared to A9

Main drawback is no 20fps or blackout free shooting. I'd say tracking on its own is just as good if not better on A7iv (based on how well it compares to the A1)

Out of interest when switching between the setup for stills can you different shortcuts when pressing the FN button?

Out of interest when switching between the setup for stills can you different shortcuts when pressing the FN button?
You can customise the Fn button menu differently for stills vs video if this is what you’re referring to?

A9 iii massively cheaper and in stock on the import sites. After cancelling my order I am now considering importing one at over 1500 quid cheaper. Very rare to see such a big difference on a camera that is still on back order. Sony have created an amazing camera with a small market which may be great news for those of us who would appreciate its features.

A9 iii massively cheaper and in stock on the import sites. After cancelling my order I am now considering importing one at over 1500 quid cheaper. Very rare to see such a big difference on a camera that is still on back order. Sony have created an amazing camera with a small market which may be great news for those of us who would appreciate its features.
The A1 is under £4k on there as well, so it's buy 2 get one free :LOL:

You see similar with z9, z8, r5, etc. we are a real treasure island :LOL:

Back