A zoom question but first a bit about my history just to give you an idea what I'm after.
As some long termers in the thread might have noticed I mostly use primes. I used to be a 50mm guy but moved to 35mm and now mostly use a 40mm f2.5 because it's small, has an aperture ring and decent manual focusing and because (IMO) it gives better image quality than the Sony 35mm f2.8. I used to take maybe 2, 3 or more primes out with me and swap from shot to shot but now I usually just take a camera and one lens, usually the 40mm but sometimes a 28mm or lately more likely a 24mm and I sometimes take two cameras, one with the Sony 40mm f2.5 and one with the Sony 24mm f2.8.
I keep thinking about zooms but I really haven't followed the news too closely so I just wondered if people could tell me what's out there that I could take a look at. Something in the 24-50mm or if possible 20-50mm range, I'd like a constant aperture as wide as possible and for it to be as small as possible. I have the original 28-70mm, I've probably used it low double digit times, the main thing is that it's variable aperture. I tried the Sony 28-60mm collapsible but that's variable aperture as well and I found the mechanism rough.
I haven't had a zoom as a main lens since my film days and early days with Canon DSLR's and I'm out of touch. Is there anything constant aperture and not too big that I could look at? I'd use it for days out in the UK and it probably wont replace all my compact primes and I'd definitely keep a couple of f1.8's but I could slim the kit down a bit if I got a zoom.
Thanks for any pointers people can give me.