The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I see a lot of people are using Canon lenses on their Sony's. I take it that an adapter is being used, do you still retain all functions of camera/lens using the adapter?

Don't bother using adapted on a mk1, might as well manual focus.

It doesn’t work like native lenses, as it doesn’t shoot at 20fps for starters ;)
Adding 3rd party adaptors between the body and lenses is always going result in compromises, size is another compromise.
If you add the price of latest Canon 70-200mm L lens cost then add the latest Sigma adaptor cost.... I’d say it’s pretty close to the Sony 70-200mm GM price @ £2200 approx.
Half the native lenses don't shoot at 20fps lool

Mia Sabel, she'll makes you a bag.
She'll help you design it, and make it to fit. And it will cost at least as much as ONO or Wothowmuchcraft :)

http://www.sabelsaddlery.co.uk/home.html
See the Bags and Cases page, gallery pictures, page three for my telescope case. Also buy my belts from her.

Thanks for this. I'll email her and see what she says.

I emailed someone similar in my part of the world and never got a reply.

Why did he compare the Sigma at f/1.4 and the Sony at f/1.8 and sound surprised that the Sony was sharper?

Optically, most lenses don’t perform at their best wide open. If he’d stopped the Sigma down to 1.8, he’d have had to stop the Sony down to 2/2.2 to give an equivalent test. The fact that the Sony is sharper wide open could be seen as a win for Sony though (even though it’s ‘only’ 1.8 rather than 1.4)

Been to Hong Kong lots of times, prices are never good enough to buy over online.

They normally go in store and haggle the price that I have already made a deal with via email. A few of my previous lenses were bought like this.

Optically, most lenses don’t perform at their best wide open. If he’d stopped the Sigma down to 1.8, he’d have had to stop the Sony down to 2/2.2 to give an equivalent test. The fact that the Sony is sharper wide open could be seen as a win for Sony though (even though it’s ‘only’ 1.8 rather than 1.4)

Apologies for the dodgy analogy but that feels a bit like buying a Maserati, flooring it then wondering why it's getting worse fuel economy than a Toyota Yaris...

Half the native lenses don't shoot at 20fps lool

That’s not really a valid point, find me a Canon body with Canon lenses that shoots 10-20 fps. Add Eye-AF to that, I bet it’s not half as good as the Sony’s if at all

I appreciate a lot of people here have Canon glass and would like/do use them on their Sony bodies, but to have the expectation that it’s as good as native performance is questionable.

I guess some are are happy with their performance but others may not be.

Having watched plenty of videos online regarding adapted lenses AF performance, I’d have to say it’s not like native.

:D

That’s not really a valid point, find me a Canon body with Canon lenses that shoots 10-20 fps. Add Eye-AF to that, I bet it’s not half as good as the Sony’s if at all

I appreciate a lot of people here have Canon glass and would like/do use them on their Sony bodies, but to have the expectation that it’s as good as native performance is questionable.

I guess some are are happy with their performance but others may not be.

Having watched plenty of videos online regarding adapted lenses AF performance, I’d have to say it’s not like native.

:D

Watching videos does nothing justice. I suggest you try it before completely writing something off. From my experience, it’s not far off native. But I haven’t tried in low light - I guess that could be the downfall. If I can get an extended look at a 70-200 I will, though.

Had to shoot a difficult gig last night.. drama award ceremony...

Mixed lights galore, had to use 1/200th mechanical shutter to minimise artificial light banding, the type you'd get on any camera.

Super bright stage light, vs dimly lit audience.
Girls walk from shadow ISO 12,800 to bright light ISO 100, highlight metering was no good, should have tried centre weight - but I was twiddling the exposure compensation dial all evening.

Smoke streams making visibility even worse, plus one actually set off right in front of an award recipient as I managed to find an angle on them.

The girls all receive their awards with their heads bowed down, embarrassed to be up there I guess.

Making my life difficult ladies!

Not to mention a podium in the way, girls getting up in random places so I may not have the best angle on them. Taking awards without looking at the presenter..

Last edited:
Watching videos does nothing justice. I suggest you try it before completely writing something off. From my experience, it’s not far off native. But I haven’t tried in low light - I guess that could be the downfall. If I can get an extended look at a 70-200 I will, though.
I agree to some extent but when the majority of the videos say the same thing, its not hard to figure it out, since I have zero interest in Canon lenses it doesn't matter to me.
Being not far off native is not the same as being native ;)

I see a lot of people are using Canon lenses on their Sony's. I take it that an adapter is being used, do you still retain all functions of camera/lens using the adapter?

It really depends what your going to be shooting, for a lot of people the functionality/capability of an adapted Canon lens is more than enough for their use, certainly I've never had any issues but I tend to do things that are slower paced like landscapes, travel shooting, etc - not sport.

Apologies for the dodgy analogy but that feels a bit like buying a Maserati, flooring it then wondering why it's getting worse fuel economy than a Toyota Yaris...

Dodgy analogy aside, it's a fact for most lenses in that they perform their best stopped down slightly. Of course, the Sony doesn't shoot at 1.4 so if that's your criteria, it's never going to meet it ;)

I agree to some extent but when the majority of the videos say the same thing, its not hard to figure it out, since I have zero interest in Canon lenses it doesn't matter to me.

Equally, for 90% of uses its more than adequate. I tracked people (with CAF and Eye AF on) walking towards me in the street, multiple times - no issue. I don’t shoot sports, equally that’s not quite what the A7III is built for, hence I see little issue in saving myself thousands of pounds.

Equally, for 90% of uses its more than adequate. I tracked people (with CAF and Eye AF on) walking towards me in the street, multiple times - no issue. I don’t shoot sports, equally that’s not quite what the A7III is built for, hence I see little issue in saving myself thousands of pounds.
Your right, everybody has different levels of acceptability etc. :)

looks like this lens has full native support inc. "– Camera-based lens unit firmware updates". e-mount allows lenses to be firmware updated via the camera. Not sure why samyang has a dock, like I said they are doing something very wrong :thinking:

The rumor site is saying that there's up to 1,000e cashback on Sony gear 1st May in europe, wonder if this'll come to the UK? If anyone is on verge of buying something it may be worth waiting a while to see.

Last edited:
The rumor site is saying that there's up to 1,000e cashback on Sony gear 1st May in europe, wonder if this'll come to the UK? If anyone is on verge of buying something it may be worth waiting a while to see.
cool. I am tempted by the 3mm sony 1.4 but then again the sigma one adapted works pefectly on different lighting conditions

looks like this lens has full native support inc. "– Camera-based lens unit firmware updates". e-mount allows lenses to be firmware updated via the camera. Not sure why samyang has a dock, like I said they are doing something very wrong :thinking:

The cynic in me suggests that its Samyang's way of getting some extra cash out of you.....

I'd expect so, looks like the usual cashback amounts (if the Dutch Euro values are translated straight into Pounds)

I have posted tons of video tests and real world images taken on various canon glasses that all prove that it does the job on those scenarios i showed here.

I even showed a sigma 35mm 1.4 focus in darkness in CAF mode

The 85mm 1.2 also performs better on a sony then on a canon body, ie it locks on focus just as fast as in a canon body but has more accurate AF and EYE-AF to boot.

Seriously you and many here would do perfectly fine with adapted glasses.

I have posted tons of video tests and real world images taken on various canon glasses that all prove that it does the job on those scenarios i showed here.

The 85mm 1.2 also performs better on a sony then on a canon body, ie it locks on focus just as fast as in a canon body but has more accurate AF and EYE-AF to boot.

Just because something can focus (EVENTUALLY) in lower light it doesn't mean its as good as bloody native!

Perhaps but I prefer sticking with native lenses without the need to have an additional adapter stuck between the body and lens, thus adding more length and weight to the Canon lenses.

When I bought my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM lens, the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L II was around £2000, add the Sigma MC adaptor for £200 = £2200.
Why would I buy the Canon + Sigma MC option when I bought the GM for not much more? ;)
What is the Canon setup going to give me over the GM?

Last edited:
What are the main factors interesting you guys about the new Tamron 28-75? Is it the combination of the price/size/weight? I know it's cheaper than the Sony 24-105 but that is wider, longer and has optical stabilisation. Or do you think the Tamron would have better IQ than the Sony? (I've never used a Tamron lens before so don't know what they are like)

Perhaps but I prefer sticking with native lenses without the need to have an additional adapter stuck between the body and lens, thus adding more length and weight to the Canon lenses.

When I bought my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM lens, the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L II was around £2000, add the Sigma MC adaptor for £200 = £2200.
Why would I buy the Canon + Sigma MC option when I bought the GM for not much more? ;)
What is the Canon setup going to give me over the GM?
Loss of selling a canon for the Sony.

Don't forget where speaking from people who own canon glass already.

Also. Many gm lenses are almost the same size as the canon and adapter attached.

I have the Canon 70-200 which performs extremely well and have showed you all the outcome from it and a video..

It's pointless for me to sell the Canon at a loss and spend 2k on the gm for iq that barely any better then the Canon and af performance I'd barely notice?

Maybe if I was a full time sports togger then maybe. But most of us ain't and are hobbiest photographer's who wouldn't be dissatisfied with adapting some lenses.

Just because something can focus (EVENTUALLY) in lower light it doesn't mean its as good as bloody native!
The question shouldn't be "is it as good as native" it should be "is it good enough for me." If it's good enough for you who cares if native is a bit or even a lot better.

Back