The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Not everybody is a wedding photographer and comparing a D750 to an A9 is just silly.

How about Fuji XT-2 to Sony A9?
http://www.albionrow.com/sony-a9-review-wedding-photography/

How about various Nikon bodies including D810, D750, D4s and Fuji XT-2 to Sony A9?
https://www.davidstubbsphotography.co.uk/sony-a9-review-wedding-photographers/
https://katemcelweephotography.com/2017/09/wedding-photographers-review-sony-a9-camera-weddings/

Nikon D4s to Sony A9
https://karibellamy.com/blog/sony-a9-wedding-photography/
http://www.agatomaszek.com/sony-a9-vs-wedding-photography/

Plenty more where those came from! lol :D

Sony A9 Wedding Photographer - 7 Months on....
He came from the Nikon D750. :D

https://www.robtarren.co.uk/2018/01/30/sony-a9-wedding-review-6-months-on/

Those focus on the eye confetti shots are impressive. I'd have thought that the only way of getting a shot like that would be to manually focus. I can imagine a DSLR being very frustrating for that sort of shot.

All this talk of the A7III is very interesting and tempting so I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need one.

Another thing that's impressed me over the recent pages is the 85mm f1.8 but it's not a focal length I use much and I have 4 manual 85's and a 45mm f1.8 MFT, so again it's something that I don't really need.

Those focus on the eye confetti shots are impressive. I'd have thought that the only way of getting a shot like that would be to manually focus. I can imagine a DSLR being very frustrating for that sort of shot.

All this talk of the A7III is very interesting and tempting so I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need one.

Another thing that's impressed me over the recent pages is the 85mm f1.8 but it's not a focal length I use much and I have 4 manual 85's and a 45mm f1.8 MFT, so again it's something that I don't really need.
You don't need but maybe want..... give in and buy a Sony A7 III, you've got your moneys worth out of the Sony A7 ;)

You don't need but maybe want..... give in and buy a Sony A7 III, you've got your moneys worth out of the Sony A7 ;)

Yes, I've got my moneys worth out of the A7. I tend to keep kit a while, I had my 20D over 7 years and my Nikon SLR for decades :D but I am interested in new kit and money isn't the problem, the problem is having the time and opportunity to use pursue my hobby and at the moment that's difficult. There's no point buying new stuff to fondle and use about the house so I'll wait until I can get out more. I've had a difficult few weeks but I'm hoping things will improve a bit soon :D

Well...

Sony FE 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 £1199
Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS II USM £464

I'm sure the Sony lens is a lovely example of a slow 70-300mm but god damn that's expensive.
:eek: big difference, maybe it has special rare nano crystal particles inside it lol :D

Can’t compare, it’s 3 x the cost.

That’s like saying ‘I upgraded from a Mercedes to a Ferrari and it’s better’

The cost is just another point for comparison,

Spending more does not necessary give you a camera that's better for the your needs.

I could say I 'upgraded' from a D750 to a Leica SL - and whilst the general image quality is superior the autofocus is not as good.

The person then decides if they can live without speedy autofocus and want the image quality boost for XXXX money

(there are other factor for comparison)

Last edited:
There has been plenty of discussion and some say that they work great and in some instances better on Sony bodies because of features like Eye-AF.
Personally I don't think they are as fast as native FE lenses.
I thought you were going to get the FE 70-200mm f4? I have owned this lens and it was tack sharp with great IQ, you could easily crop and retain sharpness.
Do you really need more than 200mm? What's the longer Nikkor you got at the moment?

The ability to crop or just zoom in to 100% plus and see detail continues to surprise me after (what is it...) four years with a 24mp camera.

This is a picture from our night out in Malton. A7 with V 35mm f1.4, f5, 1/160, ISO 100. It's just a record shot of the street our hotel was on. I focussed about a third of the way into the scene. Note that these pictures haven't been sharpened for the net or anything, just downsized and saved as quality 9 rather than 12 for the first two, quality 12 for the third.

1-DSC09711.jpg

100%...

2-DSC09711.jpg

200%...

3-DSC09711.jpg

It was a miserable day, although I like the lens it probably isn't world beating and the settings (including my chosen point of focus) weren't ideal for capturing a shot of that road sign :D

The pictures wont be as good here as on my screen but on my screen I can easily read the town names and road numbers on a sign I could hardly even see by eye and this is with only 24mp. I can only imagine what's possible with the A7R cameras. Unless people want to produce an absolutely massive picture and view it very closely or crop like crazy and produce a big final picture I'm pretty sure that 24mp will be enough for most uses and the 40+ mp of the A7R cameras... even more so :D

PS.
I often take flower shots with my A7 or 16mp MFT cameras and crop to 100% and the results are good for screen viewing and good sized prints.

Last edited:
Unless people want to produce an absolutely massive picture and view it very closely or crop like crazy and produce a big final picture I'm pretty sure that 24mp will be enough for most uses and the 40+ mp of the A7R cameras... even more so :D
The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 is a extremely sharp lens (my copy was) so this helped crop without too much worry about loss of detail.

The Sony FE 70-200mm f4 is a extremely sharp lens (my copy was) so this helped crop without too much worry about loss of detail.

I think we can get carried away with pixel peeping and forget how non geeks look at pictures and see.

Years ago one thing I did was produce artwork for use on stage and of course being anal and obsessive my stuff had all of the fine detail I could put in it and of course people at the back couldn't see it. In that scenario the detail that needs to be seen has to be visible for people sat at the back. There's no point having very fine detail that can only be seen when you're 6 inches from the picture as it just will not be visible to people in the audience viewing the picture normally. What matters is what people see in the final picture when looking at it.

If you intend for every detail on every leaf on a tree in the distance to be visible when you zoom in to 200% or look at the picture with a magnifying glass then that's one scenario but a more realistic one is producing the picture you want (including cropping if that's what you need to do) and deciding if it's good enough. Mostly with my 24mp FF and 16mp MFT I stop cropping at 100% and only then for pictures that I think are only going to be viewed on screen or maybe printed to something like A4. That quality would have been Voodoo not so long ago. I can only guess what's possible with 40mp :D

Last edited:
Have to confess to being tempted by the R3, purely for the joystick and the better eye-AF. But those alone aren't worth the extra for me, as a hobbiest with not enough time to shoot as it is. Couldn't imagine going back to a non-R model, the crop-ability and detail you can get out the shots still blows my mind.

Have to confess to being tempted by the R3, purely for the joystick and the better eye-AF. But those alone aren't worth the extra for me, as a hobbiest with not enough time to shoot as it is. Couldn't imagine going back to a non-R model, the crop-ability and detail you can get out the shots still blows my mind.

Yup but what balances it out for me is that I've taken pictures, saved them 1000 pixels wide at quality 9 and emailed a 200kb file to someone who has then printed them out to fill an A4 sheet, framed them and put them on the wall and they still look lovely.

I still want a new camera though :D

There has been plenty of discussion and some say that they work great and in some instances better on Sony bodies because of features like Eye-AF.
Personally I don't think they are as fast as native FE lenses.
I thought you were going to get the FE 70-200mm f4? I have owned this lens and it was tack sharp with great IQ, you could easily crop and retain sharpness.
Do you really need more than 200mm? What's the longer Nikkor you got at the moment?
Did you not see the video I posted showing the A7Riii with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8? It was pretty abysmal ;)

They have a few?

The 50mm 1.8 looks decent for the money and not far off Nikon 50mm 1.8.
The 70-200 2.8 is on par with Nikon new version price wise
The 28-70 is much cheaper than Nikon kit lenses and meant to be decent enough.
The 70-200 f4 is a bit high on price
The 28mm 2 is cheaper than Nikon 28mm 1.8

I think because there are not really any gen 1 or gen 2 versions of lenses as they are so new, there hold used value.
The benefit with Canon is the 3rd party alternatives which are MUCH cheaper (y)

So Wet have offered me just over £4500 for all of my gear, trouble with that is that it's trade value rather than cash and if I bought UK I'd be even more out of pocket than accepting a lower cash offer and buying grey ;)

Did you not see the video I posted showing the A7Riii with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8? It was pretty abysmal ;)

What video? I did a whole shoot with the canon 70-200 and it focuses like native

Well...

I'm sure the Sony lens is a lovely example of a slow 70-300mm but god damn that's expensive.

That is expensive!

But in comparison some lenses are pretty equal in price:

Can 24-70 II - 1738
Sony 24-70 - 1894
Nikon 24-70 - 1779

But in comparison some lenses are pretty equal in price:

Not the ones I want though! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I agree the prices are fairly comparable when you compare apples to apples (same kind of performance, age of design etc) but I don't normally buy lenses that soon after they're introduced and the second hand market is that much smaller so it's going to sting more than normal.

Not the ones I want though! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I agree the prices are fairly comparable when you compare apples to apples (same kind of performance, age of design etc) but I don't normally buy lenses that soon after they're introduced and the second hand market is that much smaller so it's going to sting more than normal.
Yup :(

Dslr tech is nonsense

I think photography is just going the same way as other things as technology makes it easier for more people to get good enough results.

I do think that the old SLR/DSLR format has probably reached about as far as it can go and that mirrorless is the future and is the thing that'll make it easier for more people to get good enough results :D

From the rumor site...

"1) Sony realizes their menu system needs to be radically overhauled and maybe even re-designed from scratch.
2) The personal preference of that one Sony engineer “would be for a complete re-design based on a new touchscreen interface.” Something like the Hasselblad X1D has."

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...ased-new-touchscreen-interface/#disqus_thread

I can't remember the last time I changed any settings or went through a menu on the back screen as I much prefer doing these things whilst looking at the EFV. I suppose I'm in a minority again but I just don't care about touch screens and menus. At all.

Last edited:
From the rumor site...

"1) Sony realizes their menu system needs to be radically overhauled and maybe even re-designed from scratch.
2) The personal preference of that one Sony engineer “would be for a complete re-design based on a new touchscreen interface.” Something like the Hasselblad X1D has."

Read all about it...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/son...ased-new-touchscreen-interface/#disqus_thread

I can't remember the last time I changed any settings or went through a menu on the back screen as I much prefer doing these things whilst looking at the EFV. I suppose I'm in a minority again but I just don't care about touch screens and menus. At all.

Personally I think that Sony has always planned to re-do the menu/GUI system and to incorporate the touch system better than it already is.
So they decided to put in the touch screen hardware on current bodies ready for this update via a firmware.... forward planning maybe :D.
Guess we'll have to wait and see if Sony actually do anything.

Last edited:
Well if they have a touch screen I suppose pretty much all of the other stuff can be done via a firmware update if they want to and once they get around to it.

I wont care, as long as it can all be turned off and reverted back to a basic thing I can do whilst looking at the EVF.

I suppose there's no reason why it can't all be offered as an option or options...

I used to set pc's up like this, with a front end menu that gave the user the option of proceeding a number of ways. Doing it this customisable way where pretty much everything can be customised or at least offering the users a number of semi customised options should pretty much kill off any complaints about menus and would only take up a small amount of space on a chip :D In fact it all sounds so easy I can't understand why they haven't done it... Oh, hang on... they're Japanese :D

No, Toby is wet.
Been waiting for a response from them, just checked my spam and it's gone in there. Needed some details from me so will wait to see what they say.

Not sure I follow :eek:

Maybe it's a euphemism and if it is I'd try not to think about the phrase "Toby is wet" too much.

Sony kit is rather exciting though :D

This benefits canikon prices in more than one way. 3rd party alternatives also drive the used prices down on canikon lenses.
Sony used lenses are also higher in price.
Well...

nah its just overpriced :p

Why have you got 4 if you don't use that FL much? Lol

Back