The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
My first shot with the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 E on the A7C. Finally got this lens on Wednesday after it spent a couple of days in a DPD trunker going p and down the country, visiting Birmingham, Aberdeen, and Bradford before landing with me.

Stairs by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
Nice, I want the f1.2 SE version eventually.

This appears very impressive, I'd certainly find it very useful

View:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj9sVid4ff4&ab_channel=AVMFieldGuide

Not sure if Sony could do something via firmware, or whether it requires better processors.
Not tried mine with birds, doubt I have a long enough lens for it to even see the eyes.

Last edited:
My first shot with the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 E on the A7C. Finally got this lens on Wednesday after it spent a couple of days in a DPD trunker going p and down the country, visiting Birmingham, Aberdeen, and Bradford before landing with me.

Any early thoughts?

I wouldn't be without mine.

doesn't work on birds or most wildlife and even on domestic animals not great for tracking like it is with humans.
Does on the A7C so I see no reason it wouldn't be on any new Sony camera as well. Animal eye AF works just as well on the cat as human eyeAF does on humans.

Does on the A7C so I see no reason it wouldn't be on any new Sony camera as well. Animal eye AF works just as well on the cat as human eyeAF does on humans.

not in my experience even on the A7C. though I don't have a cat to try it on a huge lot. just my neighbours cat that's in our garden every so often.
But I do shoot plenty birds and other wildlife like deer for example and its a lost cause with them.
Don't get me wrong subject tracking it great but doesn't do eyeAF for them like it would for humans. R5 seems to be able to do just that with just about any wildlife.

Any early thoughts?

I wouldn't be without mine.
Yes. It’s staying on the camera. :D Absolute delight to use, and far sharper in Lightroom than this suggests. The bubbly bokeh (which doesn’t bother me) smooths out by f2.8. Great colour rendition which needs little correction. A keeper. The more I use manual primes the more I’m convinced that this is what the camera was designed for.

Yes. It’s staying on the camera. :D Absolute delight to use, and far sharper in Lightroom than this suggests. The bubbly bokeh (which doesn’t bother me) smooths out by f2.8. Great colour rendition which needs little correction. A keeper. The more I use manual primes the more I’m convinced that this is what the camera was designed for.

Yup.

imo most of the criticisms of this lens are really just nit picking pixel peeping worries.

Where did you order from. Bugs me that the likes of panamoz and E-infinity don't sell them.

I got my Voigtlander 50mm f2 from camerainthepost because they were hard to get in the UK at the time. I think I got my 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2 from Robert White.

Have you asked if they'd get one for you? Maybe just not on the site but maybe would supply on request?

Last edited:
Where did you order from. Bugs me that the likes of panamoz and E-infinity don't sell them.
Got this one from MPB, used. Previously bought new from Ffordes (they had the 21mm when no-one else had it in stock) but the likes of Wex and Park Cameras also list them. Don't like those two dealers, though.

Last edited:
Robert White have an ex demo 35mm f1.4 for £579, small scratch on the barrel though :( New is £647. Have to say for that saving I'd buy the new one.

MPB, £384. Tempting. But I have one :D

Last edited:
I got my 21mm from Robert White.

My 40mm I got from Ffordes but obviously through RW anyway. RW at the time had more pre-orders than predicted lenses coming in.

It does.
I was taking pics today of a Robin and the eye af was working....

you have an A9 no?
no idea how good or bad that is with animal eyeAF but makes sense that its better than A7RIV or A7C.
Though A9 doesn't seem to have the same hype around it as R5.... not sure if that's just hype or if R5 is better at animal eyeAF

you have an A9 no?
no idea how good or bad that is with animal eyeAF but makes sense that its better than A7RIV or A7C.
Though A9 doesn't seem to have the same hype around it as R5.... not sure if that's just hype or if R5 is better at animal eyeAF
Ah, sorry yes it's an A9....

you have an A9 no?
A9 isn't going to get any attention from reviewers due to the age but i've found it nails the eye on birds, takes some practice though.

A9 isn't going to get any attention from reviewers due to the age but i've found it nails the eye on birds, takes some practice though.

IDK if the animal eyeAF was as good and responsive I feel like it would have got the attention at least when the A9II came out.

I think @addicknchips is the only one who's had both the R6 and A9/ii bodies... not sure how much birds he's shot but would be interesting hear his opinion on the matters if he knows anything.

Even if A9/ii as good as R5 they have lower MP. I'd like a higher MP body with AF on the same level as R5 at least.

Last edited:
IDK if the animal eyeAF was as good and responsive I feel like it would have got the attention at least when the A9II came out.

I think @addicknchips is the only one who's had both the R6 and A9/ii bodies... not sure how much birds he's shot but would be interesting hear his opinion on the matters if he knows anything.

Even if A9/ii as good as R5 they have lower MP. I'd like a higher MP body with AF on the same level as R5 at least.

i didnt really do any birding at all with either the r6 or a9/ii.
the R6 tracks as well as the a9 from what im seeing. and the animal eye af looks to be better.

if this new a9iii is going to be 50mp i wonder how good its going to be in low light. not impressed with the r4 in that regard.

personally I don't really shoot above ISO 6400. At that range even the latest APS-C bodies do well enough.

So ISO performance doesn't concern me a huge lot tbh, I'd personally take higher dynamic range over better high ISO performance.

From everything I have read and seen the animal eyeAF on the canon R5/6 seem better than A9ii. some reviewers like DPreview says subject tracking is still better on A9ii but considering my subjects I track are mostly animals and humans, eyeAF really helps.

R5 is costs £1000 more though and not a lot of RF lenses I have liked so far :(

I’m pretty sure nothing’s been as good at animal eye AF tbh. If there were then there wouldn’t have been such a song and dance about the R5, and we’d see a lot more direct comparison videos.

My A7RIV’s picked up on some random eyes such as meerkats but it’s far from consistent and far from reliable.

Although the a9mkII does not have bird eye AF it's uncanny how most times the eye is sharp on bif shots ,i tend to use wide AF so can't say quite were the points are at the time i press the shutter but it is the best camera iv ever used.

Rob.

Although the a9mkII does not have bird eye AF it's uncanny how most times the eye is sharp on bif shots ,i tend to use wide AF so can't say quite were the points are at the time i press the shutter but it is the best camera iv ever used.

Rob.

I was sure the A9ii has bird eyeAF? How come? The A7iii has it.

*edit, maybe officially it only has 'animal EyeAF' but if the bird is clear like in the R5 video above then my A7iii picks up the eye.

Last edited:
Where is the Bird AF on the A7m3?

As above in my edit, if I have animal eye AF turned on then it will pick up birds eye

Back