The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I regret not getting my A7C with the kit lens now. Seems to get rave reviews.

Last edited:
I'm so glad we went out pre-sunrise. By the time we left the 'country park' type place at 9:30 it was rammed!!
Yeah same here I was out at 8am and did just over 10km. On the way back the car park was full (so much for staying local) going to avoid the main bit of the park next time.

Yeah same here I was out at 8am and did just over 10km. On the way back the car park was full (so much for staying local) going to avoid the main bit of the park next time.

Both our local parks are crammed solid with folk, so me and Susie stick to a walk round the block.

I regret not getting my A7C with the kit lens now. Seems to get rave reviews.

yes apparently its really good. If it was a 24-60 I'd have got it. for now the Tamron 28-200mm is what gets used as the "kit len"

Nice set of images. Does the animal eye focus keep up with your dog on the A7R IV. It is looking nice and sharp on these images did you use animal eye detect.
Thanks, tbh the A7RIV isn’t great for this, but then neither was the Z7 so I don’t know if it’s because Betty’s face is predominantly black and so there’s little contrast to work with but both cameras seem to heavily back focus. On a run towards the camera like this I would guess hit rate is 40-50%. I didn’t use animal eye af because I’ve found it’s not great for this, especially as the eyes are a similar colour to the face.

If it had full real time tracking with animal eye af it would be better but I think it’s only the A9 with this. This is why if the A9III is high MP I’d be sorely tempted once the price drops.

Over on Luminous Landscape someone got banned for claiming that Sony's eye af was racist because it worked best on white people. I have noticed that focus sometimes fails on Mrs WW and heads for another face even though it's Mrs WW who's in the camera as the saved target face but in my innocence I'd just put it down to skin tone and the camera finding better contrast on someone elses face :D I suppose these system will get better but the colours and contrasts the gear sees must cause problems some of the time and possibly always will.

Nice here now but can't really go out as the freezer's had a drama and the kitchen floor currently need mopping every few minutes.

Over on Luminous Landscape someone got banned for claiming that Sony's eye af was racist because it worked best on white people. I have noticed that focus sometimes fails on Mrs WW and heads for another face even though it's Mrs WW who's in the camera as the saved target face but in my innocence I'd just put it down to skin tone and the camera finding better contrast on someone elses face :D I suppose these system will get better but the colours and contrasts the gear sees must cause problems some of the time and possibly always will.

can't say I have experienced racism from my Sony cameras o_O

Me neither, although it appears to be dogist :LOL: I'm not sure why WW's camera struggles with Mrs WW though :thinking: User error I say :exit::LOL:

There are some on LL who are just... Barking.

I haven't been there for a long time now. The site isn't what it was since the guy died. His friend tried to keep it going but had his own problems and after that I don't think I saw one article worth reading so I let my subscription lapse. I did go back to see the forums for a while as there are some good posters there but also one or two just insane fanboys and some just removed from reality like that racism accusation bloke.

Thanks, tbh the A7RIV isn’t great for this, but then neither was the Z7 so I don’t know if it’s because Betty’s face is predominantly black and so there’s little contrast to work with but both cameras seem to heavily back focus. On a run towards the camera like this I would guess hit rate is 40-50%. I didn’t use animal eye af because I’ve found it’s not great for this, especially as the eyes are a similar colour to the face.

If it had full real time tracking with animal eye af it would be better but I think it’s only the A9 with this. This is why if the A9III is high MP I’d be sorely tempted once the price drops.
Thanks, I have found that with my Z6 and Black Lab. A9 II is top of my list at the moment but I'd miss the resolution for landscapes and keep a D850 for that. Would you rate the A7R IV autofocu better than the Z7 for action

Me neither, although it appears to be dogist :LOL: I'm not sure why WW's camera struggles with Mrs WW though :thinking: User error I say :exit::LOL:

I am surprised your hit rate is so low tbh. A7RIV isn't by any means the best of best but I can certainly get 70%-ish hit rate on it
A7C is actually a lot better tbh get 80-90% hit rate on that.

I think the issue is old processor+more pixels to handle. in all honesty I am a bit disappointed with A7RIV (more so that A7C which I actually like).

I don't think it's user error and it's not all the time. It's worst when she's stood next to someone else as the focus may select the other person despite Mrs WW being the one who's plumbed into the camera settings. I'm sure it's just a matter of the lighting at the time. Her eyes are very dark and you'd think that'd help but even when she's stood next to one of her family members or a friend with similar colouration the camera may prefer them to her. Colouration wise she's about middling for a Thai with some being lighter and some darker.

Last edited:
I don't think it's user error and it's not all the time. It's worst when she's stood next to someone else as the focus may select the other person despite Mrs WW being the one who's plumbed into the camera settings. I'm sure it's just a matter of the lighting at the time. Her eyes are very dark and you'd think that'd help but even when she's stood next to one of her family members or a friend with similar colouration the camera may prefer them to her. Colouration wise she's about middling for a Thai with some being lighter and some darker.
It is weird, you’d expect it to prioritise those people who are stored into the settings :thinking:

It's snowing in London :eek:

Yep, I got up late, looked out the window and was amazed to see it snowing and settled thick on the ground! I rushed to get myself together so I could get to the woods asap and take some photos. Got a few, hopefully one or two will be decent. Further down the woods comes to a massive playing field surrounded by trees with loads of people, though lots of space between everyone. I've never seen so many snowmen in one place. :D Every now and then a big blob of melting snow fell on my camera and lens so I'm glad I had a cloth with me.

Last edited:
Few from today....

50871119841_db9041c8ba_b.jpg

50870409268_f2c3049ab2_b.jpg

50871115031_23425df66c_b.jpg

Love the B&W ones.

Back