The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

Artistic licence says says who.nit according to anyone but you ,looks fine I like the tone and mood,
Hark at me since taking up art class:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Fibber ;).

I have taken a couple like the above, with the missus and they turned out OK. Shot in bright daylight, with a fast shutter speed and pop up flash, for a little fill in light. Can look good, as the fast shutter blackens the background.

Fibber ;).

I have taken a couple like the above, with the missus and they turned out OK. Shot in bright daylight, with a fast shutter speed and pop up flash, for a little fill in light. Can look good, as the fast shutter blackens the background.
No I was being serious

Fibber ;).

... must try that. (y)

Had my g7x 2½ years and haven't tried the flash yet, haven't done a video either ... well, only by hitting the little red button by mistake, done that a few times. :D

Last edited:
... must try that. (y)

Had my g7x 2½ years and haven't tried the flash yet, haven't done a video either ... well, only by hitting the little red button by mistake, done that a few times. :D
What haven't tried the flash? Pop up flash can work good for portraits using the G7X mk 11, when tilted up and bounced off a ceiling. Video is pretty good and crispy clear, focus tracking is good. You can even change the exposure while video is recording, simply tap the exposure at the bottom and it gives - + .

20058-1529435687-e6aadbb297334b9964cd3a701345d16c.jpg

Before anyone says anything, I know it is a poop photo. I was just outside the front garden, bright sunlight.
Just messing about, testing things. Manual f/5.6 1/2000 sec ISO 125, oh and dreaded pop up flash. Just a very very quick snap.

Forgot to say, the ND Filter was on.

Off out to the shopping centre later this afternoon, G7X battery fully charged. I will see if I can get any interesting photos, just feel a little uneasy taking photos on the street.

I love the flippy out screen, you an just put the camera as low as it'll go and see exactly what you're shooting.

I tried getting some photos yesterday out on the street, with the screen flipped up. This was shooting at waist height, and trying to look discreet. I did not get one decent photo, the composition was awful on all the photos. I need to stop and take time, and line things up. I have not mastered the skill of shooting on the move. :(

I tried getting some photos yesterday out on the street, with the screen flipped up. This was shooting at waist height, and trying to look discreet. I did not get one decent photo, the composition was awful on all the photos. I need to stop and take time, and line things up. I have not mastered the skill of shooting on the move. :(

John, if you and the target are potentially moving then this becomes very challenging. Start simply, stand still!

On a Fuji I would set AutoISO to 6400, min shutter speed 1/200th, this is usually fast enough for street work if I stand still and the target might be moving, I can always up the min shutter speed to 1/500

On the Canon G7x you have an Auto ISO mode but you cannot specify a min shutter speed, but you can specify Slow/Standard/Fast, it looks like Standard is 1/160 before ISO adjustment and Fast is 1/1250 before ISO adjustment. So neither is ideal for street but if you and your target might be moving then I would set it to Fast, better to have something grainy and sharp to start with than blurred. As you experiment you might be able to lower to Standard.

Then I would set the camera to aperture priority of say F4 which will give you a reasonable depth of field.

Set the lens to focal length that you are comfortable with, initially with street this might be quite long, but as you get more confident it will decrease. Levae it at this focal length, don't cahnge, get used to working at a single focal length, it will simplify your thinking process with regard to street.

Now you can either work in AF or Manual Focus, I would recommend to get sharper shots to Manual Focus, preset the camera to work in a particular focus zone, now either you move or wait for your chosen target to get in the right position in the field of view. If the G7x AF is very snappy you can stay in AF. If you want to be discrete then disable all sounds emitted from the camera eg focus lock, etc.

Hope that helps

John, if you and the target are potentially moving then this becomes very challenging. Start simply, stand still!

On a Fuji I would set AutoISO to 6400, min shutter speed 1/200th, this is usually fast enough for street work if I stand still and the target might be moving, I can always up the min shutter speed to 1/500

On the Canon G7x you have an Auto ISO mode but you cannot specify a min shutter speed, but you can specify Slow/Standard/Fast, it looks like Standard is 1/160 before ISO adjustment and Fast is 1/1250 before ISO adjustment. So neither is ideal for street but if you and your target might be moving then I would set it to Fast, better to have something grainy and sharp to start with than blurred. As you experiment you might be able to lower to Standard.

Then I would set the camera to aperture priority of say F4 which will give you a reasonable depth of field.

Set the lens to focal length that you are comfortable with, initially with street this might be quite long, but as you get more confident it will decrease. Levae it at this focal length, don't cahnge, get used to working at a single focal length, it will simplify your thinking process with regard to street.

Now you can either work in AF or Manual Focus, I would recommend to get sharper shots to Manual Focus, preset the camera to work in a particular focus zone, now either you move or wait for your chosen target to get in the right position in the field of view. If the G7x AF is very snappy you can stay in AF. If you want to be discrete then disable all sounds emitted from the camera eg focus lock, etc.

Hope that helps

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to post all that.

I was in Aperture priority, f/3.5 to f/4 ISO 400 a little exposure comp. I was getting a very fast shutter speed of 1/2000, so everything was pretty crisp and clear, no blurry images. It is just the composition letting me down. The blame lies with me, not the camera.

I just need to slow down, and compose the shot. Trouble is, I am a very self conscious person. :(

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to post all that.

I was in Aperture priority, f/3.5 to f/4 ISO 400 a little exposure comp. I was getting a very fast shutter speed of 1/2000, so everything was pretty crisp and clear, no blurry images. It is just the composition letting me down. The blame lies with me, not the camera.

I just need to slow down, and compose the shot. Trouble is, I am a very self conscious person. :(

This kind of photography requires practice, practice and more practice, you will throw countless images away to get that one keeper, and you miss dozens of decisive moments, but its all part of the learning curve.

Try not to be self conscious, go to a big city, somewhere like Liverpool, practice where there are lots of tourists about, you will one of many cameras.

This kind of photography requires practice, practice and more practice, you will throw countless images away to get that one keeper, and you miss dozens of decisive moments, but its all part of the learning curve.

Try not to be self conscious, go to a big city, somewhere like Liverpool, practice where there are lots of tourists about, you will one of many cameras.
That is where I bought the G7X from, the City Centre. Deffo will get out and about again, and try better composure. :)

All this chat is reminding me of the Canon G12 I owned years ago. Loved that camera!
I still have my old Canon G2, no longer use it. It was a fun camera in it's day. Off putting things, Compact flash, very noisy at high ISO etc etc.

What haven't tried the flash? Pop up flash can work good for portraits using the G7X mk 11, when tilted up and bounced off a ceiling. Video is pretty good and crispy clear, focus tracking is good. You can even change the exposure while video is recording, simply tap the exposure at the bottom and it gives - + .
... criminal

Tried some photos this morning, three boiled eggs and toast. How hard can that be? Well, it all ended up as toast. I gave up and ate my breakfast.

I may just get the X10 back out from it's hiding place, from under the bed. Use the X10 for about a week or so, then go back to the G7X. Just to show myself, how good the G7X really is.
The G7X has not yet moulded to my hands, maybe because it is a little on the square side. I am still getting used to the feel of it. It does feel a little clumpy in the hands.

Last edited:
Something I have just discovered with the Canon G7X. If you keep the Q set button depressed, the time is displayed in boxes that scroll. The camera needs to be turned on, for this to work. Not sure if it is mentioned in the manual. I am pressing and twiddling more buttons, just to see if they have another function.

Just found another one.

If you keep the info button depressed, it brightens the LCD screen, keep it depressed again darkens it.

Off to press more buttons. :)

Back