The client doesn't care...

Interesting. As a Canon user, I am sure the results would be similar comparing a high end set up with a 10 year old rig. As an amateur user, I think we can can get caught up in the need for current gear when under decent conditions there is no need. Enjoy the pictures rather than pixel peep.

I'd have thought that seeing it wasn't in difficult lighting conditions then you wouldn't see "that" much difference on a A4 print out. Surely if it had been shot at higher ISO then the result would be much different?

Im not surprised
You only need to look at facebook and flickr "likes" to see that for most folks, content is more important than overall quality.

Yea I picked it as well, also why. People like softer skin and the expensive kit showed a lot more skin detail (look at the D5 shot around the eyes). It does illustrate the point that cheap gear can take great photos and really more expensive gear is for more difficult conditions/handling and specific situations.

I have always said that better gear allows you to get good shotts easier and more consistently. A well lit environment is not really the place to explain why you buy expensive kit. Let them try a wedding on a very bright day, and dry and capture details from a white dress & a dark suit at the same time or put them under pressure to get a particular shot in an everyday scene. 9 times out of 10, a good photographer with good gear will bring it home, an average tog with average gear won't....

I have always said that better gear allows you to get good shotts easier and more consistently. A well lit environment is not really the place to explain why you buy expensive kit. Let them try a wedding on a very bright day, and dry and capture details from a white dress & a dark suit at the same time or put them under pressure to get a particular shot in an everyday scene. 9 times out of 10, a good photographer with good gear will bring it home, an average tog with average gear won't....
I think he was fair with that aspect.

Im not surprised
You only need to look at facebook and flickr "likes" to see that for most folks, content is more important than overall quality.
That really is always the case, content over quality... it's only photographers that get wrapped up about the minor details.

Could be fun to see that demo repeated with same aged cameras and lenses.

Probably why I am happy eith my fuji x30. Cant compare with an xt2 but it is what I would call good enough for the stuff that I now do.

Could be fun to see that demo repeated with same aged cameras and lenses
OK, the camera geeks, and the art directors would be able to identify which camera took which picture but clients/Average folk and the dummies who think sharpness is the most important aspect of a photograph still would not be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
Just on a pure experimental bias point, asking 'which do you prefer' is not the same as asking 'which was taken with a £10k camera' (or a million other possible questions), if you change the question the results will differ.

If the test was re-done with A2 or A1 prints the outcome could be quite different. The question is whether printing large is important to your business. It is to mine.. up to some extent.

If the test was re-done with A2 or A1 prints the outcome could be quite different. The question is whether printing large is important to your business. It is to mine.. up to some extent.

When shooting for a business you have to cover every eventuality. And only the best equipment and quality cuts it. What you take for two inch slot in a catalogue might be later wanted for a bill board. It is counter productice to limit your options.

On the home front things are mostly quite different, very few shots are seen at sizes and viewing distances out of the "normal" range, and even less at sizes greater than A3.
And just about any reasonable camera can make an acceptable fist of that.

In many spheres of work content always wins over technical quality...a professional will always aim for both quality and content. But when pressed by circumstances will settle for content.

I've realised I've been wasting my time and money the last couple of years, should have stuck with my canon Ixus 115,ah well you live and learn :eek:

Back