The curse of the steel spiral.

dmb

Edit My Images
No
Once again (after 40 years) I have done battle with a stainless steel tank and spiral and once again I lost !!! I'm left wondering if it would fit in the launcher of a clay pigeon range?

Does anybody actually find them easier to use than a clean plastic spiral?. My Paterson, Jobo etc. reels never come into contact with wetting agent and get a good hot clean every now and then and I've never had a problem.

JOBO tanks for me, every time.

First time I used a steel spiral I had perfect results. Never ever to be repeated. I still practice loading. Perfect until I try in the dark.

Never used a steel spiral myself, only ever the plastic ones. That's not through any sort of preference though, it's really only because I've never had the opportunity to use one!

Last edited:
My Paterson, Jobo etc. reels never come into contact with wetting agent and get a good hot clean every now and then and I've never had a problem.
I'm another one who has never used a metal spiral, but you've now got me worried as I add wetting agent when the film is still on the Paterson spiral. It's well rinsed afterwards, though. :thinking:

Last edited:
Similarly here, I've never had a chance to use a metal spiral …...Some time ago I attempted to purchase a job lot as I'd heard that they were "superieur" ( easier to load) to the plastic ones and i was curious to try them out but I didn't win the auction…..They actually sold for quite a high price so some people presumably prefer them!

Another who's only used plastic (Paterson) spirals. I also use wetting agent, and haven't had any problems, with either the Major 2 or the newer System 4 tanks. I also rinse the spirals after hanging up the film.

On a slight tangent but processing some 120 from Onich at the weekend I got one of my balls jammed solid ( :eek: stop making up your own jokes, you know what I mean :D) on a plastic Paterson spiral at the weekend could not move the film either way and had to take the spiral apart in the bag, literally rip the film out and start again, fortunely I got it loaded. I have never had this happen before and always give the balls (bearings!!!) a good going over with a tooth brush to make sure the are moving freely before putting the bits in the dark bag.

Last edited:
On a slight tangent but processing some 120 from Onich at the weekend I got one of my balls jammed solid ( :eek: stop making up your own jokes, you know what I mean :D) on a plastic Paterson spiral at the weekend could not move the film either way and had to take the spiral apart in the bag, literally rip the film out and start again, fortunely I got it loaded. I have never had this happen before and always give the balls (bearings!!!) a good going over with a tooth brush to make sure the are moving freely before putting the bits in the dark bag.

Well I found if the spiral is not completely dry it caused me problems....but it usually occurred when doing many films in one go. For amusement (well not at the time), I used a hair drier and it melted the plastic spiral :eek:

There's a danger of it spiralling out of control. :whistle:
Well, that joke certainly tanked!

Only ever used the Paterson system 4 plastic tanks and spirals and don't remember having a problem loading 35mm or 120 in them, mind you, I was still in my teens last time I used one. Hoping to try again now David has given me a changing bag, so wish me luck, you'll know when as I'll be bleating for tips on what developer and fixer to use for a roll of Kodak Tmax 400 B&W. :) The last B&W dev and fixer I used was Paterson's own brand in the little square shaped plastic bottles, but I don't think they make that anymore! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Do people insert the leader into the spiral before turning off lights / putting in dark bag?
From memory I used to open the cassette with an old fashioned bottle opener so it would all have been done in the darkroom with the lights off. I was never that keen on running the film through the felt light-seals of the cassette too many times (to reduce the likelihood of scratching the film) so used to rewind fully and access the film with the bottle opener.

Yes, you have to go with what you're comfortable with.

I've never had an issue with scratching and it's so much easier to load.

Yes, you have to go with what you're comfortable with.

I've never had an issue with scratching and it's so much easier to load.
I may well try your way, I only have a changing bag this time, so I can't stand up in the darkroom and let the film reel drop down while I load the spiral, and if I try my old way with a changing bag I'll probably end up with fluff and finger prints all over the film!

Do people insert the leader into the spiral before turning off lights / putting in dark bag?

Nope!

Clip the corners of the film diagnally helps the film run through the spiral.

Ease the film through the ballbearings ensuring that it has "taken", then simply work it onto the spiral.

Both with 35mm cassettes and 120 spools, I hold / support them in between my pinkie finger and ring finger which keeps them far enough away from the spiral so as not to get in the way whilst at the same time there is only a few centimeters of film exposed between what is on the spiral and what is left on the spool, thus reducing contact with the changing bag material etc.

) I have done battle with a stainless steel tank and spiral and once again I lost !!!
l I found if the spiral is not completely dry it caused me problems.

For those of you who find loading spirals a PITA, the solution is at hand…….

LF !:)

Mindst even loading / unloadig sheet film isn't always completely idiot proof( or is it just me:thinking::D)

For those of you who find loading spirals a PITA, the solution is at hand…….

LF !:)

Mindst even loading / unloadig sheet film isn't always completely idiot proof( or is it just me:thinking::D)
I know of an even easier two letter solution: AG - send it to them and let them develop it! :LOL:

..... I used a hair drier and it melted the plastic spiral :eek:

I did dat !

Unfortunately it was only a gentle deformation and I didn't notice until after I'd wrecked 2 films, a door handle and my best thermometer during a blind incandescent rage in the dark...:)

coulda been much worse though

If you regularly have a few dozen films to process, then steel spirals and 3 gallon.tanks is the way to go. I never knew a professional do it any other way.
After only a short while you could load a spiral in a few seconds, even if they were not all bone dry.
I still own at least one 35 mm, 120 and a 127 SS tank and spirals.

I'm neither prolific nor professional, so I think I'll stick to the tried and trusted plastic.

Back