The dreaded DIET thread!

Heavens !! where are you getting those super recipes, Keith.

Just scouting youtube for them, I sometimes mix up a bit of one with another. I keep a note pad beside me at the PC and jot down ideas, combine them then when the mood takes me to bake :D

I found the recipe where I swiped it from, they don't say but it'll be very low, whatever carbs are in your peanut butter pretty much - Mine has 9.6g per 100, but has 9.2g fibre, so net 0.4g per 100 carbs. Nothing really. There's more fat and protein in these by far than carbs.

The only reason I started taking pics was to keep a diary for myself, both written and visual, but I have stopped tbh, I'm not overly concerned about keeping tabs on the macros or counting calories. Once I keep an eye on the carb count per day, steer clear of all sugars, starchy foods and bad fats, I should do ok.

So on a low carb diet you offset fibre and it’s the net you use as a total daily figure?

So on a low carb diet you offset fibre and it’s the net you use as a total daily figure?

The general advice from those who have been successful on the diet is to minus the fibre from the total carbs in foods. There are some hardcore dieters who count all carbs, and follow a much stricter plan, but I'm going by net carbs. As many of them say, it doesn't have to be torture, just keeping the carbs low is the main thing, and eating more fats than your protein and carbs combined. So you minus the fibre, but at the same time, you don't want to go too high with fibre or the body might start to see it as a fuel also. You want it to only go after fats. Good fats are priority always with Keto [bad fats would be margarine or 'dairy spreads' that are not butter based, processed meats or cheese singles, cheap vegetable oils, high sugar foods] but it doesn't mean you can eat blocks of cheddar and mounds of butter or cream all day, you only eat until 'satiety' - if you're not hungry, no need. And you have to try get your greens and veg in too - broccoli, spinach, kale, asparagus, avocado, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms are good too.

You can skip meals if you're still full from the previous [this has been the case with me for the past couple of weeks] , or even fast through a few, allow your body to start picking off fats from the body. Stay hydrated and keep some keto friendly snacks on you if you're heading out. A handful of decent nuts [macadamia, walnut, almond, pecans] couple slices of cheese, with ham maybe for some protein, some olives or whatever.

I thought it would be really difficult when eating out, but I can still have a good steak and mushrooms, just get the salad instead of the chips, and watch the sauce, could also have the mini grill, fish or chicken - you don't have to be as cautious as say, a coeliac or someone with allergies, because a few extra carbs won't make you ill or anything, just might throw you out of Ketosis.

Last edited:
The general advice from those who have been successful on the diet is to minus the fibre from the total carbs in foods. There are some hardcore dieters who count all carbs, and follow a much stricter plan, but I'm going by net carbs. As many of them say, it doesn't have to be torture, just keeping the carbs low is the main thing, and eating more fats than your protein and carbs combined. So you minus the fibre, but at the same time, you don't want to go too high with fibre or the body might start to see it as a fuel also. You want it to only go after fats. Good fats are priority always with Keto [bad fats would be margarine or 'dairy spreads' that are not butter based, processed meats or cheese singles, cheap vegetable oils, high sugar foods] but it doesn't mean you can eat blocks of cheddar and mounds of butter or cream all day, you only eat until 'satiety' - if you're not hungry, no need. And you have to try get your greens and veg in too - broccoli, spinach, kale, asparagus, avocado, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms are good too.

You can skip meals if you're still full from the previous [this has been the case with me for the past couple of weeks] , or even fast through a few, allow your body to start picking off fats from the body. Stay hydrated and keep some keto friendly snacks on you if you're heading out. A handful of decent nuts [macadamia, walnut, almond, pecans] couple slices of cheese, with ham maybe for some protein, some olives or whatever.

I thought it would be really difficult when eating out, but I can still have a good steak and mushrooms, just get the salad instead of the chips, and watch the sauce, could also have the mini grill, fish or chicken - you don't have to be as cautious as say, a coeliac or someone with allergies, because a few extra carbs won't make you ill or anything, just might throw you out of Ketosis.

Atkins says to subtract fibre grams from carbs grabs to get the net carbs figure. However, I have read that is only true for American labelling since UK labels show the NET CARB GRAMS with fibre already deducted. I was very disappointed when I read that. Suddenly everything had more carbs !

Last edited:
I found the recipe where I swiped it from, they don't say but it'll be very low, whatever carbs are in your peanut butter pretty much - Mine has 9.6g per 100, but has 9.2g fibre, so net 0.4g per 100 carbs. Nothing really. There's more fat and protein in these by far than carbs.

Usually carb content on uk labels are net ie already deducted fibre and sugar alcohol.

Screenshot 2018-08-22 at 16.25.41.png

Usually carb content on uk labels are net ie already deducted fibre and sugar alcohol.

View attachment 132887

Didn't know this, better be more careful! I think I should be fine though, anything with that much fibre i wouldn't be eating a whole tonne of anyway. Like nuts, it's the odd handful here and there, or they'll go into a recipe, like the base for my cheesecake - I'm not eating a whole cheesecake in one sitting, it'll be split up between the family, I'll eat a slice and that's a treat now and then too. I made a whole tray of almond butter cookies yesterday, I got ONE and they've vanished :D if anything can help yo diet, it's kids

i need to lose weight i reason im a good 20+ stone now, but find the idea of dieting a bit ponsy or at the risk of sounding all neanderthal "unmanly", it dosn't really go with my "one of the lads","life and soul of the party" lifestyle that ive always had,but these last couple of days has been the decider for me, im asthmatic and had an attack that needed me going to hospital, im not really one for exercise now either that dosnt help, considering in my 20's - 30's i used to cycle several hundred miles a week on and off road and think nothing of it i struggled riding 4 miles to the pub with the family the other week, the asthma dosnt help their either unfortunately, i cant see me going to weight watchers or anything like that but i need the motivation to get me off my arse again

so plan is to sort my chest out, actually go and see my doctor(my missus has been nagging me to go see him for ages but i wont go because she has told me to go and i very rarely do anything she tells me to do), cut down on the ale and coke(the drink) completely, stop snacking especially late at night, its now 1.30am, sitting here watching crap on telly, ive had crisps, bag of haribo's, toast and a ham sandwich just since 12 o'clock,i had a meal at 7 pm and wasnt particularly hungry, just ate for something to do, maybe if i went to bed at a reasonable hour id eat less, sleep is another problem for me, last night i went to bed at 2, back up at 3, went back to bed at 6 and was up at 8.i want to get back on my bike and do more walking just build up slowly and try not to kill myself trying. my blood pressure is always good runs about 110/60- 120/70 every time i check it, i always seem to have a high pulse currently 88 but it was up to 145 BPM last night but that was after a neb and id been battering my inhaler all day so being tachy is to be expected

is there somewhere you can download weight watchers diets without actually having to go to a meeting

it was a bit cathartic getting that off my chest time for some inspiration gents, and ladies, wish me luck ive a feeling im going to need it

i need to lose weight i reason im a good 20+ stone now, but find the idea of dieting a bit ponsy or at the risk of sounding all neanderthal "unmanly", it dosn't really go with my "one of the lads","life and soul of the party" lifestyle that ive always had,but these last couple of days has been the decider for me, im asthmatic and had an attack that needed me going to hospital, im not really one for exercise now either that dosnt help, considering in my 20's - 30's i used to cycle several hundred miles a week on and off road and think nothing of it i struggled riding 4 miles to the pub with the family the other week, the asthma dosnt help their either unfortunately, i cant see me going to weight watchers or anything like that but i need the motivation to get me off my arse again

so plan is to sort my chest out, actually go and see my doctor(my missus has been nagging me to go see him for ages but i wont go because she has told me to go and i very rarely do anything she tells me to do), cut down on the ale and coke(the drink) completely, stop snacking especially late at night, its now 1.30am, sitting here watching crap on telly, ive had crisps, bag of haribo's, toast and a ham sandwich just since 12 o'clock,i had a meal at 7 pm and wasnt particularly hungry, just ate for something to do, maybe if i went to bed at a reasonable hour id eat less, sleep is another problem for me, last night i went to bed at 2, back up at 3, went back to bed at 6 and was up at 8.i want to get back on my bike and do more walking just build up slowly and try not to kill myself trying. my blood pressure is always good runs about 110/60- 120/70 every time i check it, i always seem to have a high pulse currently 88 but it was up to 145 BPM last night but that was after a neb and id been battering my inhaler all day so being tachy is to be expected

is there somewhere you can download weight watchers diets without actually having to go to a meeting

it was a bit cathartic getting that off my chest time for some inspiration gents, and ladies, wish me luck ive a feeling im going to need it

First off, there's nothing 'unmanly' about dieting, not all diets have to be 'girly' Hollywood trendy ones. Just cutting down on the gunk, the sugars, the bad fats, the processed foods alone can be a 'diet'. I was like you not more than a couple months ago, the very word 'diet' made me cringe, I was stuck in my ways, couldn't be bothered ... sure we're all going to die anyway!

When you get a scare, that changes. Heart disease is in my family, along with arthritis, bowel cancer, sciatica, pneumonia [which I suffered as a kid, and have had scares over the years] ... etc .. they've not been the healthiest bunch either side, heavy drinkers, light on the exercise. The past few years I felt like i was heading the same way as many who've gone before me, too much alcohol, sugar, smoking, fatty foods without any kind of balance, over eating, late night eating, snacking during the night, mounds of food and eating everyone else's leftovers on top! I was prescribed a Ventolin inhaler because my breathing was getting worse, and I stopped smoking 5yrs back. The doc also told me he thinks I have sleep apnea because of my weight, I have gained most of it over the past 6-7yrs, and I know myself, I've felt the slow down. Your body knows when it's sick, it knows when you need to act, or face heart attack, stroke, brittle bones, loss of muscle, ulcers, organ failure, blood diseases etc ... your brain tells you. You wouldn't even be looking at this thread if you your mind wasn't telling you to sort something out.

I do indeed wish you the best of luck, I know nothing about weight watchers but hopefully someone else here can fill you in on that, but there's more than one way to diet, just cutting down on sugars and carbs is a start. I suggest looking into low carb dieting, it can't do any harm. I never thought I'd skip sugar, spuds, fizzy drinks, high carb alcohol like beer and cider and especially bread! Man i love fresh bread! Between that and sugary tea, that's been the toughest for me. I'm not suggesting the same path for you, research is needed, find something that you can commit to, the Keto diet just happened to appeal to me. I'm still early days so I cannot and would not push it on anyone else. But I just know it's doing something for me. Bunch of people have told me I'm looking better lately, I don't really feel it, but they are the ones looking ... they say I look a bit fresher, less tired, a little 'spritier' [though I'm having some afternoon-eve crashes, like real fatigue, but I'm fighting through it] - I know a lot of it is withdrawal from the sugar, it's like a drug! Giving up the cig's was a lot easier, because I had vaping to fall back on. Dieting is hard, that's the reason most of us Men avoid it, it's not because we think it's weak, it's because deep within we know it takes a hell of a lot of effort and discipline. If anything, we are weak for not even trying.

Honestly mate. Get yourself to a Slimming World group, even if you got for the first session to sign up and get the plan books etc. It gives you a base to work from. This week I've had
Sunday: Chicken Jalfrazi & Rice with poppodoms and home made Naan's.
Monday: Steak And Chips
Tuesday: Beef tikka kebabs in homemade Naan
Tonight will be Teriyaki beef stir fry

All of them are within slimming world plans and allows me to have a couple of whiskys as well in an evening.

Honestly mate. Get yourself to a Slimming World group, even if you got for the first session to sign up and get the plan books etc. It gives you a base to work from. This week I've had
Sunday: Chicken Jalfrazi & Rice with poppodoms and home made Naan's.
Monday: Steak And Chips
Tuesday: Beef tikka kebabs in homemade Naan
Tonight will be Teriyaki beef stir fry

All of them are within slimming world plans and allows me to have a couple of whiskys as well in an evening.

if you have to drink scotch il never stick to it...cant stand the stuff

from my experiences losing weight isn't really that hard once you get it into your head that you need and want to lose it, the difficult part is keeping the weight off. Faddy diets are all well and good and you may lose weight on them but what happens when you get to your desired weight/get fed up of the diet, you go back to eating what you did before and back come the pounds. Over the years I've lost and gained weight several times, the last time I lost 5 1/2 stone by watching what I eat and going to the gym three times a week and swimming twice , unsurprisingly when I did lose the weight everything is so much easier to do, aches and pains disappeared , my knees were fine, my back was much better and my general well being improved, however, I got to the point where I had no life other than the gym and started slacking off from time to time, that progressed to slacking off more than I went and initially I didn't gain any weight but inevitably it started to creep back up.
I'm now at about 2 1/2 stone less than at my heaviest and about to go on holiday so the gym had better start to become a big part of my life again when I return.

I do indeed wish you the best of luck, I know nothing about weight watchers but hopefully someone else here can fill you in on that, but there's more than one way to diet, just cutting down on sugars and carbs is a start. I suggest looking into low carb dieting, it can't do any harm. I never thought I'd skip sugar, spuds, fizzy drinks, high carb alcohol like beer and cider and especially bread! Man i love fresh bread! Between that and sugary tea, that's been the toughest for me. I'm not suggesting the same path for you, research is needed, find something that you can commit to, the Keto diet just happened to appeal to me. I'm still early days so I cannot and would not push it on anyone else. But I just know it's doing something for me. Bunch of people have told me I'm looking better lately, I don't really feel it, but they are the ones looking ... they say I look a bit fresher, less tired, a little 'spritier' [though I'm having some afternoon-eve crashes, like real fatigue, but I'm fighting through it] - I know a lot of it is withdrawal from the sugar, it's like a drug! Giving up the cig's was a lot easier, because I had vaping to fall back on. Dieting is hard, that's the reason most of us Men avoid it, it's not because we think it's weak, it's because deep within we know it takes a hell of a lot of effort and discipline. If anything, we are weak for not even trying.

Fructose is metabolised in the liver and hits the same pathways as alcohol, which does indeed give you a withdrawal like phase and associated cravings. I used to get an afternoon crash even on keto, I think because I was eating some carbs at lunch time, despite coming in under 20g/day - pointer for me I was pre-diabetic even though my GP at the time said I wasn't. I didn't get on with any of the low carb replacements for flour/etc so cultivated a mindset that said cakes/biscuits/bread/pasta/etc was 'not food'. That didn't stop me deliberately having a cheat at Christmas for a couple of years but I usually regretted it! At least it was a form of reinforcement.

Weight loss was a welcome side effect as I found out about ketogenic diets while researching anything to help with Crohn's disease. I went from 184lbs to 120lbs without really trying. Also managed to come off a buprenorphine patch for back pain - that's gone completely as have other joint pains, and depression. It also did wonders for my Crohn's, managing to reduce my meds from weekly injections to fortnightly.

The biggest mistake I see people make with dieting, be it keto or whatever, is resuming their old ways when they reach their goal weight. Back to the very diet that made them overweight, and diabetic in the first place. Make it a lifestyle change.

Fructose is metabolised in the liver and hits the same pathways as alcohol, which does indeed give you a withdrawal like phase and associated cravings. I used to get an afternoon crash even on keto, I think because I was eating some carbs at lunch time, despite coming in under 20g/day - pointer for me I was pre-diabetic even though my GP at the time said I wasn't. I didn't get on with any of the low carb replacements for flour/etc so cultivated a mindset that said cakes/biscuits/bread/pasta/etc was 'not food'. That didn't stop me deliberately having a cheat at Christmas for a couple of years but I usually regretted it! At least it was a form of reinforcement.

Weight loss was a welcome side effect as I found out about ketogenic diets while researching anything to help with Crohn's disease. I went from 184lbs to 120lbs without really trying. Also managed to come off a buprenorphine patch for back pain - that's gone completely as have other joint pains, and depression. It also did wonders for my Crohn's, managing to reduce my meds from weekly injections to fortnightly.

The biggest mistake I see people make with dieting, be it keto or whatever, is resuming their old ways when they reach their goal weight. Back to the very diet that made them overweight, and diabetic in the first place. Make it a lifestyle change.

I know that the diet was originally created for people with certain types of cancer and people with epilepsy, particularly in children. It was a much higher % fat diet for them, but broken down to a more general diet for the masses. Good to know it can help with other illnesses also. And well done losing the weight and sticking to it.

I rang my cousin when I started, he's a body builder and health and fitness instructor, just to hear his thoughts on these diets. His way of looking at it is they can all work, so long as you are dedicated, you can't do it half arsed or it's just not going to work. He told me straight up, don't even bother if you're going to be sneaking the odd plate of chips and few cans of Bulmers on the weekends, it's all in or nothing. Now he did say if I found it too tough to just concentrate on low carb at least, but I said I'd give Keto a proper go. And I have, it's been a month now, still struggling here and there, but i haven't broken it yet. I am now that guy down the aisle in Tesco reading the label of every item I pick up :D There's days where I realise I've had zero carbs and didn't feel hungry at all

Today I've had 2 bowls of my creamed spinach soup and nothing more, only getting slightly peckish now because I'm cooking the kid's dinner

Fully agree with your brother, do it properly or not bother. Bouncing in and out of NK especially when you are still adapting won't be helpful. A month in is good. KCKO - Keep Calm and Keto On. The keto sub on reddit is a good resource and support place if you haven't found it already.

Hmm. Creamed spinach wouldn't do me any favours at all, my guts really hate fibre. I'll stick to my lamb and steak.

Fully agree with your brother, do it properly or not bother. Bouncing in and out of NK especially when you are still adapting won't be helpful. A month in is good. KCKO - Keep Calm and Keto On. The keto sub on reddit is a good resource and support place if you haven't found it already.

Hmm. Creamed spinach wouldn't do me any favours at all, my guts really hate fibre. I'll stick to my lamb and steak.

I used to think I hated spinach, but I'd not tried it in a soup, it was divine! I did add some other veg, had a pack of mixed kale and leeks and it worked really well. I have some broccoli and the leftovers of that bag that I might use for another soup tomorrow. Steak is my #1 meal, I have always loved it, we're actually going out for sinner tomorrow night and I imagine I'll do my usual ... scan over the menu and just end up ordering the best steak available, I love fillet, medium rare mmmmm .... I will of course have to dodge the chips and spuds, and have the salad and I'm sure the sauce will be full of sugar, but damn it, I'll just not eat anything else with carbs tomorrow and I should be fine :D

I have been to the sub reddit, just dipped in and out, most of my learning has come from youtube though. I'm now subbed to a bunch of channels that had either great advice, or great recipes :) I love this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen An indian who does some brill Keto friendly recipes, and only after watching him a little while did I discover he is also the singer for a death metal band :D you would never think it by looking at him. He has killer chicken dishes and soups [initially got my spinach one from him just changed it a little to suit myself] - I also got some of my breads from him

from my experiences losing weight isn't really that hard once you get it into your head that you need and want to lose it, the difficult part is keeping the weight off. Faddy diets are all well and good and you may lose weight on them but what happens when you get to your desired weight/get fed up of the diet, you go back to eating what you did before and back come the pounds. Over the years I've lost and gained weight several times, the last time I lost 5 1/2 stone by watching what I eat and going to the gym three times a week and swimming twice , unsurprisingly when I did lose the weight everything is so much easier to do, aches and pains disappeared , my knees were fine, my back was much better and my general well being improved, however, I got to the point where I had no life other than the gym and started slacking off from time to time, that progressed to slacking off more than I went and initially I didn't gain any weight but inevitably it started to creep back up.
I'm now at about 2 1/2 stone less than at my heaviest and about to go on holiday so the gym had better start to become a big part of my life again when I return.

Had missed this post somehow, anyway: Some may deem them to be 'faddy' diets, but I had never even heard of Keto before I went in search of something to help me. I'm certainly not doing it to be hip or trendy! I'm doing it mostly for health benefits. It's not a new diet - it was put together originally in the early 1920's

Even if I didn't strictly follow this diet I should see some improvements over time, because I am watching what I eat just by trying it out. I have wiped out sugar completely [bar the odd inevitable sugars that will appear in even healthier foods] also starchy high carb foods that I used to just eat tonnes of without a second thought, like potatoes, rice, noodles, bread .. I can't even remember what white bread tastes like because I've had so much Keto bread over the past month or so. I seem to remember it actually tasting like soft cardboard until you lumped something on top :D I think if I had a mug of full sugar tea now I'd spew! And I have been on high sugared tea since I was a kid, there was a time I was taking 5 teaspoonfuls of sugar in it :puke: Pre-diet I was down to 2, but that's still too much if you're having 5-6 cups per day. I also drank lucozade and coke as if they were water. Now it's soda water with a touch of sugar free lime. My 'cheat' is the very odd coke zero, and thankfully it does not make me want 'real' coke, I enjoy a cold can of it now and then that's it.

If I can remain low carb, non-sugar, low starch and avoid bad fats, I'll be happy enough. I would like to start seeing some physical results soon, but if i even just feel better in the mornings, and can overcome the fatigue I feel early evening, and start exercising a bit more, I think I'll be doing just fine :)

I drank white tea with two sugars for yonks. About 35 years ago I decided to give up sugar. The tea tasted damned awful. I then tried it without milk and it was very much better. In no time I could only drink it that way and soon preferred it much stronger than I was used to.
If I want a cold drink I have Tesco's Low Calorie Indian Tonic Water with Lime.
1ml contains 8cals and less than 0.1g carbs.

Keith, are you doing a strict daily count of the number of carb grams or just doing a rough assessment in your head as you go along ? The rules are rather strict and if you overdo the carbs the diet is likely to fail. Low carb diets tend to be very unforgiving. You cannot overdo the carbs one day then compensate the next day by having very much less. If you break the daily limit you are likely to need the best part of a week to start burning fat again. Make sure you are eating enough protein.
It is essential to drink enough water (about 2 litres min per day - your urine should be very pale). If you don't drink enough your body tends to retain water.

I drank white tea with two sugars for yonks. About 35 years ago I decided to give up sugar. The tea tasted damned awful. I then tried it without milk and it was very much better. In no time I could only drink it that way and soon preferred it much stronger than I was used to.
If I want a cold drink I have Tesco's Low Calorie Indian Tonic Water with Lime.
1ml contains 8cals and less than 0.1g carbs.

Keith, are you doing a strict daily count of the number of carb grams or just doing a rough assessment in your head as you go along ? The rules are rather strict and if you overdo the carbs the diet is likely to fail. Low carb diets tend to be very unforgiving. You cannot overdo the carbs one day then compensate the next day by having very much less. If you break the daily limit you are likely to need the best part of a week to start burning fat again. Make sure you are eating enough protein.
It is essential to drink enough water (about 2 litres min per day - your urine should be very pale). If you don't drink enough your body tends to retain water.

I've tried that very tonic water, I find it a bit bitter, much prefer soda water which is just as low carb. I was strict for the first week I'd say, now I just keep an eye, I'm eating only 2 meals per day so it's easy enough. Just the odd snack in between I have to keep closer eye on. I don't ever try to make up for, or deduct anything so I can have more later, I'd just be aware if I am going to have a one off 'treat' I'll cut out something else for it earlier. It wouldn't be a regular.

I'd say most days I'd struggle to hit 20g of carbs atm because I have been conscious of the intake. Protein is no bother as I love eggs and lean meat, I love pork, chicken and beef in all forms - The water thing I do struggle with, another reason I opt for soda water, as i can squeeze some lemon juice into it and it's refreshing rather than a chore. My urine was pretty dark when I started, didn't know wtf was going on, but it's a steady watery pale now :D

Last edited:
Had missed this post somehow, anyway: Some may deem them to be 'faddy' diets, but I had never even heard of Keto before I went in search of something to help me. I'm certainly not doing it to be hip or trendy! I'm doing it mostly for health benefits. It's not a new diet - it was put together originally in the early 1920's

Aye, it's a fad only in that it's become popular driven by people desperate to improve their health. The real fad is the 1970's healthy eating recommendations of plenty of carbs at every meal, low fat and the only fat you should have is poly-unsaturated omega-6 oils from industrial processing, which is working so well against the obesity and T2DM epidemic.

I used to think I hated spinach, but I'd not tried it in a soup, it was divine! I did add some other veg, had a pack of mixed kale and leeks and it worked really well. I have some broccoli and the leftovers of that bag that I might use for another soup tomorrow. Steak is my #1 meal, I have always loved it, we're actually going out for sinner tomorrow night and I imagine I'll do my usual ... scan over the menu and just end up ordering the best steak available, I love fillet, medium rare mmmmm .... I will of course have to dodge the chips and spuds, and have the salad and I'm sure the sauce will be full of sugar, but damn it, I'll just not eat anything else with carbs tomorrow and I should be fine :D

Just be aware a little sauce here, and there, can end up being a slippery slope for the cravings to come back. It is how a lot of people fall off the wagon.

I have been to the sub reddit, just dipped in and out, most of my learning has come from youtube though. I'm now subbed to a bunch of channels that had either great advice, or great recipes :) I love this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen An indian who does some brill Keto friendly recipes, and only after watching him a little while did I discover he is also the singer for a death metal band :D you would never think it by looking at him. He has killer chicken dishes and soups [initially got my spinach one from him just changed it a little to suit myself] - I also got some of my breads from him

He's great! Not seen him before. It would have livened up my keto days! I stick to a ketogenic form of carnivore because I do much better.

Just be aware a little sauce here, and there, can end up being a slippery slope for the cravings to come back. It is how a lot of people fall off the wagon.

We have ribeye steak every couple of weeks, with home cut (Maris Piper) chunky, oven cooked chips, green beans and a peppercorn sauce with cream or a Diane sauce with a little brandy and sliced mushrooms. We eat around 5.30 and no more carbs after that, and we both find that we are lighter the next day after that meal. The same goes for my Singapore Chow Mein dish, using egg noodles, chopped red peppers, onions, chillis, chicken and prawns in a chilli and soy sauce.
If you deny yorself everything then you are more likely to get fed up and ditch the diet.
Portion size (eat well and serve smaller portions) and balance is really important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yeah well put. I was thinking 'sugary sauce' than anything more low-carb friendly. Brain getting ahead of fingers syndrome.

We have ribeye steak every couple of weeks, with home cut (Maris Piper) chunky, oven cooked chips, green beans and a peppercorn sauce with cream or a Diane sauce with a little brandy and sliced mushrooms. We eat around 5.30 and no more carbs after that, and we both find that we are lighter the next day after that meal. The same goes for my Singapore Chow Mein dish, using egg noodles, chopped red peppers, onions, chillis, chicken and prawns in a chilli and soy sauce.
If you deny yorself everything then you are more likely to get fed up and ditch the diet.
Portion size (eat well and serve smaller portions) and balance is really important.

So true. Everything in moderation is good! If you exercise a lot there is no reason why (once you are at your chosen weight) you cant have anything you want, just not every day.

So true. Everything in moderation is good! If you exercise a lot there is no reason why (once you are at your chosen weight) you cant have anything you want, just not every day.

It's getting to that ideal weight is the problem. If I kept allowing myself all the things I know are causing the issue, I would never get anywhere. I can't hold back on food when i get the urge. Best to just cut some stuff out - it's not like I can't eat good still.

I've found that as I cut out carbs and eat more protein I get hungry less often.

I've found that as I cut out carbs and eat more protein I get hungry less often.

Same here pretty much, but good fats and proteins. I've only eaten the once today, baked herbal chicken [my own concoction] and a green salad with again, my own concoction of a dressing - Mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar and olive oil - The salad contained green olives, cucumber, ice-berg lettuce, an avocado and celery, it was a lot tastier than i thought it would be. Stuffed after it :)

That will be down to blood sugar stability. High carb food puts blood sugar on a roller coaster ride.

That will be down to blood sugar stability. High carb food puts blood sugar on a roller coaster ride.

If you don't exercise to burn it off.
Back in the day when I was cycling competitively and commuting to London, I used to cycle to London and back in the Summer three times a week, taking my mileage up to around 350 miles per week. I would have a carb heavy meal on the night before the cycle trip, knowing that I wouldn't be eating brekky in the morning.
Even when I was eating all the carbs, I was still getting Ketonic sweats at night, because I was probably overtraining, because on the non cycling to work days I was doing two gym sessions a day with lots of intervals.

If you don't exercise to burn it off.
Back in the day when I was cycling competitively and commuting to London, I used to cycle to London and back in the Summer three times a week, taking my mileage up to around 350 miles per week. I would have a carb heavy meal on the night before the cycle trip, knowing that I wouldn't be eating brekky in the morning.
Even when I was eating all the carbs, I was still getting Ketonic sweats at night, because I was probably overtraining, because on the non cycling to work days I was doing two gym sessions a day with lots of intervals.

I have never heard of high carb being a good thing. If you're burning it off as you take it in, sure, you're benefiting from the exercise, not the carbs, they're just curbing your hunger.

I don't think there's ever a case for a high carb and sugar diet. And those are the very things I'm cutting, early days like I say, but I'll update when I see some improvement.

I have never heard of high carb being a good thing. If you're burning it off as you take it in, sure, you're benefiting from the exercise, not the carbs, they're just curbing your hunger.

I don't think there's ever a case for a high carb and sugar diet. And those are the very things I'm cutting, early days like I say, but I'll update when I see some improvement.

During and after WW2 right up to the sixties, people's diets - everyday food - contained a large amount of carbs through vegetables and smaller amounts of meat/cheese/fish etc and there was no obesity back then. In Europe, Africa and Asia, the staple carbs are pasta and rice, and it is only recently that cases of obesity are appearing. Refined sugar is a huge problem, and it together with lack of exercise is probably the greatest factor in the obesity epidemic.
ALL endurance athletes know the benefits of a high carb diet, because it is this food - natural, complex carbohydrates which fuels the aerobic system.
The Kenyans are widely acknowledged to be the best distance runners in the World, and they have extremely low body fat levels, and they also use a very high, natural carbohydrate based diet.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/07/nutrition/eat-like-a-kenyan-run-like-a-kenyan_132388

Current NHS diet advice here:-
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/why-we-need-to-eat-carbs/

That advice has changed over the years and is now less biased against carb control. Atkins was reviled when his diet was first published, despite the good results he was getting from his own patients. Perhaps the population's slide towards a diabetic disaster has been a wake up call (for some).
Clearly the biggest danger lies in processed food, added sugar and confectionery.

During and after WW2 right up to the sixties, people's diets - everyday food - contained a large amount of carbs through vegetables and smaller amounts of meat/cheese/fish etc and there was no obesity back then. In Europe, Africa and Asia, the staple carbs are pasta and rice, and it is only recently that cases of obesity are appearing. Refined sugar is a huge problem, and it together with lack of exercise is probably the greatest factor in the obesity epidemic.
ALL endurance athletes know the benefits of a high carb diet, because it is this food - natural, complex carbohydrates which fuels the aerobic system.
The Kenyans are widely acknowledged to be the best distance runners in the World, and they have extremely low body fat levels, and they also use a very high, natural carbohydrate based diet.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/07/nutrition/eat-like-a-kenyan-run-like-a-kenyan_132388

It wasn't because of high carb, they didn't have near as much processed rubbish. If you only ate decent, fresh food carbs I'm sure you'd be fine if you control the intake, and get enough protein and fibre.

Point here being it's high carb got me where I am, unhealthy, because our food nowadays contains way too much added sugars, and a carb diet would do me absoloutely no good whatsoever.

It wasn't because of high carb, they didn't have near as much processed rubbish. If you only ate decent, fresh food carbs I'm sure you'd be fine if you control the intake, and get enough protein and fibre.

Point here being it's high carb got me where I am, unhealthy, because our food nowadays contains way too much added sugars, and a carb diet would do me absoloutely no good whatsoever.

You somehow managed to ignore what I said about NATURAL, complex carbohydrates, and where I said "refined sugar is a huge problem".

You somehow managed to ignore what I said about NATURAL, complex carbohydrates, and where I said "refined sugar is a huge problem".

It comes to the same conclusion, they weren't eating junk, plain simple.

I'm struggling a bit today tbh, my head is feeling the 'wooo-wooos' and my stomach is hungry one minute, soon as I go to cook something, not hungry anymore ... 10 minutes later, starving! I need to find some handy quick snacks, I find I'm cooking a lot more now, and I like cooking, just don't want to have to do it every time I need to eat. I have bags of various nuts, cheese slices [proper cheddar, not processed singles] ham slices, again good stuff, and jars of pickles and olives etc ... but I need something ... more! I don't even know what it is yet :D

It comes to the same conclusion, they weren't eating junk, plain simple.

I'm struggling a bit today tbh, my head is feeling the 'wooo-wooos' and my stomach is hungry one minute, soon as I go to cook something, not hungry anymore ... 10 minutes later, starving! I need to find some handy quick snacks, I find I'm cooking a lot more now, and I like cooking, just don't want to have to do it every time I need to eat. I have bags of various nuts, cheese slices [proper cheddar, not processed singles] ham slices, again good stuff, and jars of pickles and olives etc ... but I need something ... more! I don't even know what it is yet :D

Simple Keith - its carbs, carbs, carbs:D:exit:

Reactions: Nod
One of Mrs Nod's victims students swears by fruit leather as a snack. Keeps for ages apparently. Only had a moment to chat about it - I'll try to find out more when we get back from holiday.

Back