1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Where / When for a long weekend? Select all options that you CAN do.

Poll closed Jul 4, 2017.
  1. North Wales

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Lake District

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  3. 7/8th October

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. 14/15th October

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. 21/22nd October

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  6. 28/29th October

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  7. 4/5th November

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  8. 11/12th November

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Dear f&c'ers!

This is essentially a feeler thread in the first instance just to gauge interest in another longer meet later in the year, so the title is subject to change.

I personally am really keen to relive mamiya645gate head back to the lakes as @nikki_s and I love it there and really enjoyed the last trip. So the purpose of this thread is really to get an idea of A) whether the lakes is good for everyone as a location to head to, B) degree of interest for a trip in general, C) time of year that people keen for, and D) duration of the trip.

For my part, C and D would be in the region of October and a full week respectively, though I appreciate that most might prefer a long weekend, so likely best to plan for that instead. Once the thread evolves sufficiently, suitable polls will go up and we can reach a consensus.

Let discussion commence!

2. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you can find accommodation that caters for both a week stay and a long weekend then you can have both types to suit. I'd think not a half term would be a sensible week to pick and not either weekend either side of a half term. Usual restrictions involving proximity to railway station and pubs apply :)

3. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm up for a meet later in the year, but will be unlikely to be able to do a whole week so soon after the Cornwall meet. If it's a long weekend then I'll almost certainly be there! If there's room then Angi would probably love to come too :)

icnoble likes this.
  4. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Official Forum Idiot 2013 & 2014

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Likewise, a week may be problematic although if work picks up then you never know. The last Lakes meet was great fun so a return visit sounds like a great idea.

5. Strappy

Strappy

Name:
    Dean
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'd love to return to the Lakes. October would be good, though the first weekend in November would be perfect for me as herself is off to Spain for a long weekend (she's learning Spanish) and it'd save me from taxi duties. :sneaky:

6. Andysnap

Andysnap POTY (Film) 2015

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Too late mate... We're already here. :)

Sounds like a good idea, we'll give it some thought and get back to you.

Andy

7. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Dates permitting, we're definitely interested for a long weekend or possibly longer

8. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What Mrs Snap said... loved the last trip. Accommodation was very well placed but a bit hostel-like.

9. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'd love to meet up again for a long weekend but we're going to Florida on the 24th October (shhhh, don't tell the kids, it's a surprise!) so I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Can't do the first or second weekend but otherwise I'll be there with bells on.

11. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Excellent! Good interest! Shall we aim for a long weekend then?

I'll post up a poll tomorrow for a week or so for dates. If I make the options all the weekends in October and the first one or two in November, that should cover it? Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Strappy likes this.
  12. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    At the moment I'm fine apart from 6,7,8th October.

13. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can't do the weekend of 13/14 Oct but Andy can. I might possibly be able to arrive on the Sunday afternoon on my way back from Edinburgh though...

14. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Gin festival?

Mrs Snap likes this.
  15. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Very close ;)

Edinburgh Gin Company Connoisseur Tour with the girls
    :D

16. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Will there be samples?

17. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes :banana:

RaglanSurf likes this.
  18. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Apologies for not getting the poll up today, I had a manic day. I'll try and get it posted tomorrow morning :)

RaglanSurf likes this.
  19. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just to put a cat amongst the pigeons, how about North Wales instead as an option? Somewhere around Snowdonia might be worth thinking about as a base, the reasoning being that if the weather is a bit 'pony and trap' there are some good places to go to take photos, perhaps a day out to Portmeirion http://www.portmeirion-village.com/visit/, or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llechwedd_Slate_Caverns , or http://www.festrail.co.uk/ ? If the weather is kind then the scenery can be lovely.

Just an idea, so I don't know how the prices would stack up, but it might make a change if there's already been an F&C trip to the Lakes?

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can get to the lakes in an hour by train, Anywhere off the mainline is a total bear.

21. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm not adverse to going to north Wales, but I'd personally prefer the lakes. I'll get the poll up shortly :)

22. nikki_s

nikki_s Neither Shawn, Sheep, nor man.

Name:
    Nikki
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just to add, from the info I can find, school half term falls from Saturday 21st of October to Sunday 29th so I'd recommend we avoid those dates?

ChrisR and RaglanSurf like this.
  23. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just bumping this. There are a few more days left to run on the poll.

24. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Poll, poll?????? Goes off to check. Hope it lasts past today as I'm out all day!

25. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I voted for every option, which I guess is about as helpful as not voting at all :D

26. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Anyone with opinions on dates get voting or change your votes, it's pretty much a tie for several of them right now!

27. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    just like to point out that the clocks go back at the end October so it will curtail our daylight hours a bit.

Just sayin'

28. srichards

srichards

Name:
    Suz
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So there would be more hours to spend in a hostelry? ;)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  29. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The two earlier October dates are adjacent to Edinburgh half terms, not generally an issue for me but I'm told we might get A Visit! So I didn't vote for them but there would still be a chance of me coming if it was on one of those days. Mind you, I can't tell you which one so you can't know in advance how to avoid me!

30. EddyWelbz

EddyWelbz

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If possible & doesn't bugger number I'd like to come, long weekend at the start of November, accommodation for me would be a tent/car not entirely fussed!

31. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So it's looking like the beginning of November is likely to be the winner... Any huge issues with that?

The bummer with anything like this is that there is never a perfect time to go. Be it daylight hours, half term, etc... (Personally daylight hours doesn't bother me, as it means sunset is at a reasonable time of day and sunrise is not too early)

Everyone happy with the weekend of the 4th/5th of November then (subject to change in the next hour or so as well, of course :))? If you could all let me know and I'll update the OP with a list of people so that I can get an idea of numbers :)

32. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What days over the weekend are we thinking? Friday to Monday or Thursday to Sunday? Or even Wednesday to Sunday?

33. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Make it a really long weekend, Wednesday to Tuesday? :)

BTW did anyone flag @donut ?

34. stevelmx5

stevelmx5

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Sorry guys. I'll be in Florida until the 8th November so will have to struggle on without this meet! Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing the results :0)

35. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Whoops didn't notice the pool. Never mind November works for me.

Carl Hall likes this.
  36. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We'll tentatively say we can do the weekend of the 4th and 5th November, but it depends on what days it is either side. We'll need to be back to work on the Monday sadly.

37. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As suggested by @Andysnap previously I'll probably aim to come down early on Saturday and stay either till late Sunday or early Monday depending on stuff, not least if some one can collect me from a local train station. I can be in Penrith by 0800 I'd much rather not but it is possible...

ChrisR likes this.
  38. EddyWelbz

EddyWelbz

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can pretty much do the whole weekend of the 4th. Would it be better if we set off late Friday/early Saturday and head back early Monday?

If people need lifts I can offer my car (Citroen C5 estate, so I have plenty of room)

39. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    That weekend is fine with us. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, we can't fully commit to coming at the moment. Fingers crossed! :)

40. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So are we settled on the 4th/5th?