The F&C Lake District trip 2.0

Where / When for a long weekend? Select all options that you CAN do.

• North Wales

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Lake District

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • 7/8th October

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 14/15th October

• 21/22nd October

• 28/29th October

• 4/5th November

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 11/12th November

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Dear f&c'ers!

This is essentially a feeler thread in the first instance just to gauge interest in another longer meet later in the year, so the title is subject to change.

I personally am really keen to relive mamiya645gate head back to the lakes as @nikki_s and I love it there and really enjoyed the last trip. So the purpose of this thread is really to get an idea of A) whether the lakes is good for everyone as a location to head to, B) degree of interest for a trip in general, C) time of year that people keen for, and D) duration of the trip.

For my part, C and D would be in the region of October and a full week respectively, though I appreciate that most might prefer a long weekend, so likely best to plan for that instead. Once the thread evolves sufficiently, suitable polls will go up and we can reach a consensus.

Let discussion commence!

If you can find accommodation that caters for both a week stay and a long weekend then you can have both types to suit. I'd think not a half term would be a sensible week to pick and not either weekend either side of a half term. Usual restrictions involving proximity to railway station and pubs apply :)

I'm up for a meet later in the year, but will be unlikely to be able to do a whole week so soon after the Cornwall meet. If it's a long weekend then I'll almost certainly be there! If there's room then Angi would probably love to come too :)

Likewise, a week may be problematic although if work picks up then you never know. The last Lakes meet was great fun so a return visit sounds like a great idea.

I'd love to return to the Lakes. October would be good, though the first weekend in November would be perfect for me as herself is off to Spain for a long weekend (she's learning Spanish) and it'd save me from taxi duties. :sneaky:

Too late mate... We're already here. :)

Sounds like a good idea, we'll give it some thought and get back to you.

Andy

Dates permitting, we're definitely interested for a long weekend or possibly longer

What Mrs Snap said... loved the last trip. Accommodation was very well placed but a bit hostel-like.

I'd love to meet up again for a long weekend but we're going to Florida on the 24th October (shhhh, don't tell the kids, it's a surprise!) so I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

Can't do the first or second weekend but otherwise I'll be there with bells on.

Excellent! Good interest! Shall we aim for a long weekend then?

I'll post up a poll tomorrow for a week or so for dates. If I make the options all the weekends in October and the first one or two in November, that should cover it? Thoughts?

Last edited:
At the moment I'm fine apart from 6,7,8th October.

I can't do the weekend of 13/14 Oct but Andy can. I might possibly be able to arrive on the Sunday afternoon on my way back from Edinburgh though...

I can't do the weekend of 13/14 Oct but Andy can. I might possibly be able to arrive on the Sunday afternoon on my way back from Edinburgh though...
Gin festival?

Just to put a cat amongst the pigeons, how about North Wales instead as an option? Somewhere around Snowdonia might be worth thinking about as a base, the reasoning being that if the weather is a bit 'pony and trap' there are some good places to go to take photos, perhaps a day out to Portmeirion http://www.portmeirion-village.com/visit/, or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llechwedd_Slate_Caverns , or http://www.festrail.co.uk/ ? If the weather is kind then the scenery can be lovely.

Just an idea, so I don't know how the prices would stack up, but it might make a change if there's already been an F&C trip to the Lakes?

Just to add, from the info I can find, school half term falls from Saturday 21st of October to Sunday 29th so I'd recommend we avoid those dates?

Just bumping this. There are a few more days left to run on the poll.

Poll, poll?????? Goes off to check. Hope it lasts past today as I'm out all day!

Anyone with opinions on dates get voting or change your votes, it's pretty much a tie for several of them right now!

just like to point out that the clocks go back at the end October so it will curtail our daylight hours a bit.

Just sayin'

The two earlier October dates are adjacent to Edinburgh half terms, not generally an issue for me but I'm told we might get A Visit! So I didn't vote for them but there would still be a chance of me coming if it was on one of those days. Mind you, I can't tell you which one so you can't know in advance how to avoid me!

If possible & doesn't bugger number I'd like to come, long weekend at the start of November, accommodation for me would be a tent/car not entirely fussed!

So it's looking like the beginning of November is likely to be the winner... Any huge issues with that?

The bummer with anything like this is that there is never a perfect time to go. Be it daylight hours, half term, etc... (Personally daylight hours doesn't bother me, as it means sunset is at a reasonable time of day and sunrise is not too early)

Everyone happy with the weekend of the 4th/5th of November then (subject to change in the next hour or so as well, of course :))? If you could all let me know and I'll update the OP with a list of people so that I can get an idea of numbers :)

Make it a really long weekend, Wednesday to Tuesday? :)

BTW did anyone flag @donut ?

We'll tentatively say we can do the weekend of the 4th and 5th November, but it depends on what days it is either side. We'll need to be back to work on the Monday sadly.

As suggested by @Andysnap previously I'll probably aim to come down early on Saturday and stay either till late Sunday or early Monday depending on stuff, not least if some one can collect me from a local train station. I can be in Penrith by 0800 I'd much rather not but it is possible...

I can pretty much do the whole weekend of the 4th. Would it be better if we set off late Friday/early Saturday and head back early Monday?

If people need lifts I can offer my car (Citroen C5 estate, so I have plenty of room)

So it's looking like the beginning of November is likely to be the winner... Any huge issues with that?

The bummer with anything like this is that there is never a perfect time to go. Be it daylight hours, half term, etc... (Personally daylight hours doesn't bother me, as it means sunset is at a reasonable time of day and sunrise is not too early)

Everyone happy with the weekend of the 4th/5th of November then (subject to change in the next hour or so as well, of course :))? If you could all let me know and I'll update the OP with a list of people so that I can get an idea of numbers :)

That weekend is fine with us. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, we can't fully commit to coming at the moment. Fingers crossed! :)

So are we settled on the 4th/5th?

Back