The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Looking for a bit of inspiration... what would you do given a few days with a 200mm f2? I was thinking a zoo trip, but 200mm is probably going to require major cropping at my nearest zoo (Marwell), I'd rather see what it can do at its native focal length. Ditto for motorsport really.

Looking for a bit of inspiration... what would you do given a few days with a 200mm f2? I was thinking a zoo trip, but 200mm is probably going to require major cropping at my nearest zoo (Marwell), I'd rather see what it can do at its native focal length. Ditto for motorsport really.

Is there a park anywhere near to you? The birds are pretty lively now and they'll get braver if you bring some seed along to draw them closer. Somewhere with squirrels, ducks, swans etc ... bit of variety for checking detail and sharpness.

Karting track, or maybe book a model and go to the park for portraits? Tricky one tbh. I wouldn`t know where to start, especially with a limited time frame.

Karting track, or maybe book a model and go to the park for portraits? Tricky one tbh. I wouldn`t know where to start, especially with a limited time frame.

I think, at the very least, it's confirmed I have no need to own one! Handy given the somewhat intimidating cost of it.

The 33mm f1.0, however? First in the queue for that.

What's everyone's view on the 18-55, is it as good as the 16-55 as I have read elsewhere?

Totally agree with Dave the 18-55 is fantastic! I was always under the impression it was better than the 16-55. IMG_1126.JPG

Image taken with the 18-55.

What's everyone's view on the 18-55, is it as good as the 16-55 as I have read elsewhere?

The 18-55 is a fantastic lens.

What the 16-55 brings to the table is a fixed F2.8 aperture and waterproofing and 2mm shorted minimum focal length.
It also has two more aperture blades 7/9 which might improve bokeh but in practice the difference is not distinguishable.
The extra stop of light at 55mm is useful but far from deal breaking.

However it has no image stabilisation, weighs over twice as much, is about 1/3 larger and costs a lot more.

In most circumstances images from the 18-55 are sharper... probably because of the stabilisation factor.

A rarely mentioned factor is the much larger and more expensive filters required on the 16-55.

If bigger is better, it is certainly bigger.
But the disadvantages clearly outweigh the advantages for a majority of people.

I had no hesitation settling on the 18-55 as a standard zoom.

Another fan of the 18-55 here.

I forgot to take my camera back with me when I visited my parents at the weekend, so ended up using my Dad's 5D (which is identical to the one I traded in for my X-T2) - I couldn't get over how big it was and how rubbish the AF was. I am so glad I switched to Fuji! Having said that, I need to do a few dozen headshots at work in a few weeks and I will be borrowing the 5D again, with his 85mm lens. However it is more to do with not having a decent Fuji portrait lens, than anything else.

I forgot to take my camera back with me when I visited my parents at the weekend, so ended up using my Dad's 5D (which is identical to the one I traded in for my X-T2) - I couldn't get over how big it was and how rubbish the AF was. I am so glad I switched to Fuji! Having said that, I need to do a few dozen headshots at work in a few weeks and I will be borrowing the 5D again, with his 85mm lens. However it is more to do with not having a decent Fuji portrait lens, than anything else.
Have a look at post
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...0-owners-thread.527428/page-1138#post-8410362
That could be the answer to doing head shots.

Of course the 18-55 is equivalent to 77 mm on the 5D so it is entirely suitable for head shots.

Last edited:

55-200 does a pretty good job.IMG_1265.JPG

The 33mm f1.0, however? First in the queue for that.

Ooooooh now that I can understand :) I bet there aint gonna be a sensible price though.

Last edited:
I recently bought an X-T30 as a light go anywhere camera, and I have to say I'm mighty impressed with it & the lenses. It's my first Fuji, but the menus are easy to understand, the controls all straight forward (nice to have proper dials & aperture rings with numbers on) & the picture quality seems excellent to me. Here's a couple of early pictures, experimenting with settings etc...

Keysoe3 by Mark Piercy, on Flickr

Leaf buds by Mark Piercy, on Flickr

I recently bought an X-T30 as a light go anywhere camera, and I have to say I'm mighty impressed with it & the lenses. It's my first Fuji, but the menus are easy to understand, the controls all straight forward (nice to have proper dials & aperture rings with numbers on) & the picture quality seems excellent to me. Here's a couple of early pictures, experimenting with settings etc...

Keysoe3 by Mark Piercy, on Flickr

Leaf buds by Mark Piercy, on Flickr

Couple of nice Fujigraphs, particularly liking #2.

George.

Got my X-T30 today, my goodness it’s light compared to my D700 and 24-70! Seems nice control wise, looking forward to heading to New York tomorrow and getting to grips with it.

I do love to use off camera flash and before I sell both D700’s I would like to know is everyone using for wireless flash triggers and receivers?

Got my X-T30 today, my goodness it’s light compared to my D700 and 24-70! Seems nice control wise, looking forward to heading to New York tomorrow and getting to grips with it.

I do love to use off camera flash and before I sell both D700’s I would like to know is everyone using for wireless flash triggers and receivers?

Godox trigger and flash work well.

Reactions: DpM
:plus1:

Reactions: DpM
Have a look at post
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...0-owners-thread.527428/page-1138#post-8410362
That could be the answer to doing head shots.

Of course the 18-55 is equivalent to 77 mm on the 5D so it is entirely suitable for head shots.
Budget for new lenses is £0 at the moment, so even a cheap lens isn't possible.

I have used the 55mm end of the 18-55 for headshots before, but 5D/85mm prime produces better images (and I am a big Fuji fan).

55-200 does a pretty good job.View attachment 241229
I think that will be my next lens.

Arrived in NY last night and took a walk for an hour and back to introduce my wife to Hooters (don’t judge the chicken wings are awesome). I love the WiFi functionality, send the photos to my phone and can edit (only a tiny amount as the colour excellent SOC) and share rather than waiting to get home and have a mammoth task.

So far loving this little thing.

178B253B-7B91-4769-AE57-325F48A5FBB7.jpeg

7119B4D9-C210-4FD5-8B34-07D256D9164F.jpeg

Another review of the new 85mm vs the 90mm. Think I'd definitely stick with the 90mm

View: https://youtu.be/gu26V_ITWME

He had a very different experience to the guy in the review I posted earlier, and both would be reliable enough [the previous reviewer more so IMO] - This = copy variation and lack of QC so it's a bit of a coin flip. Still enough in this experience to make it a decent purchase I would say, as it is FW upgradable and they fixed earlier issues within 48hrs, so I hear. Needs more reviews before I'd commit though. He's trying to show some major difference in IQ, I'm not really seeing it, and in the other review the AF on the 85 was faster.

Last edited:
He had a very different experience to the guy in the review I posted earlier, and both would be reliable enough - This = copy variation and lack of QC so it's a bit of a coin flip. Still enough in this experience to make it a decent purchase I would say, as it is FW upgradable and they fixed earlier issues within 48hrs, so I hear. Needs more reviews before I'd commit though. He's trying to show some major difference in IQ, I'm not really seeing it, and in the other review the AF on the 85 was faster.

image quality aside, the focus reliability and QC would be concerns for me. so far ive seen one good review (well - actually excellent as it claimed to focus faster than the 90mm which is one of fujis fastest lenses...:thinking:) and this one, which is basically what i would expect from a lens of this price tbh. id certainly await for plenty more before buying, as sometimes you get what you pay for.

image quality aside, the focus reliability and QC would be concerns for me. so far ive seen one good review (well - actually excellent as it claimed to focus faster than the 90mm which is one of fujis fastest lenses...:thinking:) and this one, which is basically what i would expect from a lens of this price tbh. id certainly await for plenty more before buying, as sometimes you get what you pay for.

The other review was from Mattias Burling, I've found him very solid over the years, about as non-bias as you can get. He shoots Canon, Panasonic, Fuji and Nikon and reviews everything from cheap vintage lenses and older cameras to the very latest, no matter the manufacturer. When I shot Fuji I watched a lot of this guy's vids too though his channel was under a different name at the time - I would say he is more bias toward Fuji gear as it's what he has been using a long time. He does show proof here though and I agree, lens variation is a put off, this happens with Viltrox adapters also [the budget alternative to Metabones] - I own one of their AF adapters and mine is fine [I have only one tested one lens though, with another on the way] but I've read from others who claim theirs is a dud. In that case the Metabones is 5 times the price but they are more consistently relaible. What i do know about Viltrox though is that they are great for FW updates, my adapter is currently on FW 3.3 and each time it has improved for AF reliability. Over time this lens will only get better.

Back