The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

One from today......am I flogging a dead horse with the 18-55 for this type of shot? They just don't seem to be very engaging....Any tips?
Durgan-1157 by Darrin Roberts, on Flickr

The lens is absolutly fine
The framing is rather off
it is not level
the. light would have been better a few hours later.

I am not convinced that that is likely to prove to be the best viewpoint for that garden.

t

it is not level

I am not convinced that that is likely to prove to be the best viewpoint for that garden.

t
Yep levels are a real pain here, the gradients are huge in all directions, and the maze isn't level with true level, this is shotvwiththe viewfinder level being level. If you look, the palm trees are vertical, .the viewpoint is on a hill opposite and the maze is on a very steep hill, so no way to get nearer and miss all the trees to the left hand side.
May just have to accept tgatvtyeideal framing isn't possible.?

Last edited:
Just like @Jelster, I've been out with the birdies again.
All images are with the X-T3 and XF100-400mm, but the first one is with the 1.4 T/C @ ISO 2500 - I think it's quite impressive. (The 2nd is at ISO 640).
The 3rd image is just to prove Spring has arrived.

I feel I'm slowly getting to grips with the X-T3, but I do dislike the way the rear command dial sits behind that ridge - for me it just isn't prominent enough.

Robin0319.1.jpgRobin0319.2.jpgIt's that time of year!.jpg

it is not level

t

Agree with Terry's points, and would add that as a rule, the wider angle lens you use, the closer to your subject you need to get. There are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb. If you're going to stand off this far, you'd do better to take a longer lens and be more selective, or find something closer to the camera to anchor the composition.

What filter system do you find works well for the Fuji, is the Lee 100mm a bit on the large side for most of the Fuji glass?

What filter system do you find works well for the Fuji, is the Lee 100mm a bit on the large side for most of the Fuji glass?

I don't find the 100mm system too bad on Fuji cameras, filters can be a large investment so I wanted to be able to use them in case I picked up another dslr.

It depends on focal length and filter ring size, 100mm will cover all except XF8-16mm

85mm will cover most, certainly lenses with 72mm and smaller filter threads

75mm will cover many, but will vignette at around 14mm on 10-24mm (72mm filter thread)

The Fuji 18-55 is a great walk about less.

The Fuji 18-55 is a great walk about less.

It is a great lens period, it is far better that.one might expect at the price, especially if bought as part of a kit.
It is well up to the needs of the latest sensors with out limiting their designed quality specification.

It is a great lens period, it is far better that.one might expect at the price, especially if bought as part of a kit.
It is well up to the needs of the latest sensors with out limiting their designed quality specification.

I was very surprised at how good it was for being classed as a kit lens. Great for portraits too!

Things are looking pretty good for the budget Fuji shooter on this one. This Viltrox 85mm 1.8 looks very decent since they ironed out the bugs via firmware

Last edited:
Looks like a bargain.

Certainly does, with lenses like that I'm getting that Fuji call-back feeling yet again! This is perfect for someone like me who gave up over-splashing on photo gear years ago. I am constantly on a quest for best bang per buck performance I can squeeze from any system. Look like the only down sides to this vs the 90mm are a little fringing wide open and no WR - I could totally live with that.

Certainly does, with lenses like that I'm getting that Fuji call-back feeling yet again! This is perfect for someone like me who gave up over-splashing on photo gear years ago. I am constantly on a quest for best bang per buck performance I can squeeze from any system. Look like the only down sides to this vs the 90mm are a little fringing wide open and no WR - I could totally live with that.

Seems like it's not far behind the 90mm. With the 90 being one of fujis best lenses this is a great effort from Viltrox. Mind you, I'd still wait for a 2nd opinion.

Hi all, just about to get myself a x-t30. I am going to stick with the kit lens for now but what should I shortlist when looking for a fast prime (it will be mostly portraits it is used for)?
I am new to the X system and am not aware of the other brands out their bar what I have seen on the Fuji side.

Hi all, just about to get myself a x-t30. I am going to stick with the kit lens for now but what should I shortlist when looking for a fast prime (it will be mostly portraits it is used for)?
I am new to the X system and am not aware of the other brands out their bar what I have seen on the Fuji side.

the XT30 has incredibly high spec for its price position. Compared with top range cameras. Its small size is not for every one, but it is the same as the Xt20 which is their highest selling camera.

Either the XF35mm f2 or XF50mm f2 both are very fast and pin sharp.

Reactions: DpM
the XT30 has incredibly high spec for its price position. Compared with top range cameras. Its small size is not for every one, but it is the same as the Xt20 which is their highest selling camera.

I don't mean to be pedantic but the X-T30 is just over 5mm thicker, I suppose accessories such as grips from the X-T20 won't fit.

Btw, what about renaming this thread to The Fuji X-T Owners Thread instead of adding yet another model number?

I don't mean to be pedantic but the X-T30 is just over 5mm thicker, I suppose accessories such as grips from the X-T20 won't fit.

Btw, what about renaming this thread to The Fuji X-T Owners Thread instead of adding yet another model number?

Interesting point about the extra 5mm thickness
I am wondering where it is. as the makers of hand grips do indeed say the XT 10 and XT 20 versions do fit. but it would be good to know if any one hear has tried to do so. as it is a very popular choice to use one, especially as to do so centralises the mount and allows easier access to batteries and card.

Interesting point about the extra 5mm thickness
I am wondering where it is. as the makers of hand grips do indeed say the XT 10 and XT 20 versions do fit. but it would be good to know if any one hear has tried to do so. as it is a very popular choice to use one, especially as to do so centralises the mount and allows easier access to batteries and card.

The "5mm thicker" text in my post is a link to Camerasize.com and shows the X-T20 and X-T30 side by side, use the orientation icons to change the views :)

The "5mm thicker" text in my post is a link to Camerasize.com and shows the X-T20 and X-T30 side by side, use the orientation icons to change the views :)

I can't see from that where the thickness is added though the thumb rest is more pronounced.
Though the finger grip looks the same.
It is certainly possible that the base plates are the same.
We will have to wait and see till some one tries it?

I see the Fuji site shows it as the same Item for all three cameras https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-t10-t20-t30-metal-hand-grip

Last edited:
Does anyone use the nisi v6 filter system with Fuji 10-24 lens and if so any issues with vignetting? Apologies if on wrong thread.

Thanks in advance

Hey no, but I used the Nisi V5 pro with the Tokina 11-20 and there was no vignetting what so ever! Dunno if that is any help tho [emoji848]

Back