The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Really not getting the point of the XC 35mm F2 that's on the way. Unless it's like £150! The XF 35 F2 is already tiny and it'll be better built and has WR.

I've just got back into the UK from the USA and have a quick question to you Londoners or folk that know London events pretty well.

I notice that this coming weekend is the "Chinese New Year" celebrations etc and thought I might just high tail it up to London on Sunday 26th Jan to give it a look and see what its all about.

As I've never experienced these celebrations before I just wondered what's the best areas to be apart from "Trafalgar Sq" & "Chinatown" which I already know about. I know my way about London pretty well but just don't know the vantage points for this occasion.

Any help would be very much appreciated.,

George.

I've just got back into the UK from the USA and have a quick question to you Londoners or folk that know London events pretty well.

I notice that this coming weekend is the "Chinese New Year" celebrations etc and thought I might just high tail it up to London on Sunday 26th Jan to give it a look and see what its all about.

As I've never experienced these celebrations before I just wondered what's the best areas to be apart from "Trafalgar Sq" & "Chinatown" which I already know about. I know my way about London pretty well but just don't know the vantage points for this occasion.

George.

I was there on Monday and can tell you that the Gerard Street area was already busy with many criss-crossing lines of red chinese lanterns being strung up. That was Chinatown proper, but I think it is growing beyond, too. There was a Chinese caterpillar-dragon-thing dancing to drums for what looked like a celebration at a restaurant on the other side of Shaftesbury Ave, too.

If I remember right, somewhere up in the NW corner of London is another big Chinese community - Colindale or Edgware, I think. Quite a schlepp out of central London though. Maybe a Google search would turn up some info?

So many Chinese tourists to London nowadays that I think it will be throbbing!

I was there on Monday and can tell you that the Gerard Street area was already busy with many criss-crossing lines of red chinese lanterns being strung up. That was Chinatown proper, but I think it is growing beyond, too. There was a Chinese caterpillar-dragon-thing dancing to drums for what looked like a celebration at a restaurant on the other side of Shaftesbury Ave, too.

If I remember right, somewhere up in the NW corner of London is another big Chinese community - Colindale or Edgware, I think. Quite a schlepp out of central London though. Maybe a Google search would turn up some info?

So many Chinese tourists to London nowadays that I think it will be throbbing!

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciated your reply.

G.K.Jnr.

George.
George it will be jam packed, i've gone before with a camera and it was no fun at all, just rude people pushing into you. If you go I would advise either early or late, during the main procession it's awful for a photographer.

George it will be jam packed, i've gone before with a camera and it was no fun at all, just rude people pushing into you. If you go I would advise either early or late, during the main procession it's awful for a photographer.

Thank you kindly fellow snapper, I sure do appreciated your reply.

"I kinda guessed it would be pretty busy but I'll give it a go anyway just for the experience. I'm an easy going type of guy and my feathers don't get ruffled easily so a bit of hustle & bustle doesn't bother me" :):)

G.K.Jnr.

Last edited:

George.

One thing I remember from a few years bak, is it`s loud, and I mean L O U D ;)

Have a look here mate https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/whats-on/chinese-new-year

It’s just been brought to my attention that the X-T100 has reverted back to the Bayer sensor and as a result I half fancy giving it a go as a ‘day out’ camera for snap shots (ie super AF not needed). It seems very cheap with the15-45mm kit lens at the mo and so I was wondering if anyone has this combo and can comment about it and advise if the IQ is decent or worth avoiding?

Also, I understand the lens has a power zoom with no markings, does the camera itself indicate what focal length you are at? Finally can you set it so that the d-pad moves the AF point without first having to press another button? I understand this would disable the functions on the d-pad that are there by default but I assume you could access these via the q menu?

New X T-30 owner just joined...enjoying scrolling back looking at images on this thread.
Did a fair amount of film/darkroom photography when at art school many moons ago.
Got a Oneplus phone with a pretty good camera a year or so back, and found I was taking considered shots, not snapping.
Panasonic G10, despite having a similar sensor size, was capable of better images.
Appetite whetted.
Cambrian Photography had a between Christmas and New Year sale, and a very clean X T-30/18-55 came my way.
I'm shooting almost exclusively in manual, and at the moment favouring Velvia and Acros. Editing in Photoshop, which I'm reasonably competent at, well, above novice level anyway. Haven't essayed into printing yet, but it might well come to that.
Anyway, a hi to all, and hopefully I'll put up some of my images before long.

XC 35 f2 looks like breaking cover soon, wonder how much it will be?

New X T-30 owner just joined...enjoying scrolling back looking at images on this thread.
Did a fair amount of film/darkroom photography when at art school many moons ago.
Got a Oneplus phone with a pretty good camera a year or so back, and found I was taking considered shots, not snapping.
Panasonic G10, despite having a similar sensor size, was capable of better images.
Appetite whetted.
Cambrian Photography had a between Christmas and New Year sale, and a very clean X T-30/18-55 came my way.
I'm shooting almost exclusively in manual, and at the moment favouring Velvia and Acros. Editing in Photoshop, which I'm reasonably competent at, well, above novice level anyway. Haven't essayed into printing yet, but it might well come to that.

Welcome to the house of fun :)

Welcome to the house of fun :)
Thanks for the welcome!
I do have a query. Is it possible on an X T30 for images to autorotate and fill the screen on playback? Images taken in portrait orientation stay stubbornly small regardless of which way up you hold the camera. Like, ahem a phone? If so how do you do it? It seems to imply yes in the handbook, but I can only do it on individual images by selecting and rotating them.

It’s just been brought to my attention that the X-T100 has reverted back to the Bayer sensor and as a result I half fancy giving it a go as a ‘day out’ camera for snap shots (ie super AF not needed). It seems very cheap with the15-45mm kit lens at the mo and so I was wondering if anyone has this combo and can comment about it and advise if the IQ is decent or worth avoiding?

Also, I understand the lens has a power zoom with no markings, does the camera itself indicate what focal length you are at? Finally can you set it so that the d-pad moves the AF point without first having to press another button? I understand this would disable the functions on the d-pad that are there by default but I assume you could access these via the q menu?

Toby. Image quality is excellent. I had one briefly when 1st launched. Pretty sure you need to touch the up D pad button before moving the focus point.
Actually just bought another. Should arrive today, if I’m in.
I’ll report back.

Toby. Image quality is excellent. I had one briefly when 1st launched. Pretty sure you need to touch the up D pad button before moving the focus point.
I’ll report back.
Cool thanks. If you figure out a way to have the d-pad as AF point move only please let me know.

I’ll report back.
@snerkler

X-T200. It’s got a joystick..

Hmmm. Might send it back. Wait for X-T200. Seems feature rich at a good price point.

Thomas Heaton discusses processing his Fuji X-T3 files here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtPxH4IpsM&t=652s

He concludes that for his landscape shots Capture1 just beats the Iridient X-transformer plugin in Lr and that both are much better than Lr alone or Lr using Enhance details. But looking at A3 prints he cannot tell the difference between any of them. Comforting to a print-oriented simple Lr user like me.

(I am sure there are more detailed/informed reviews than his but as he is the kind of photographer I aspire to be like, his view carries considerable weight for me)

Last edited:
@snerkler

X-T200. It’s got a joystick..
Been looking at reviews and there's a few saying the joystick is in a bad/unnatural place, maybe worth getting to use one before you buy (y)

Appetite whetted.

That‘s a positive “RESULT“ in my book, welcome to the Fuji-X thread. “ENJOY“.

George.

Thomas Heaton.......

.......(I am sure there are more detailed/informed reviews than his but as he is the kind of photographer I aspire to be like, his view carries considerable weight for me)

I found his opinions very refreshing. He prints his photos, his photos from the Fuji look great on paper at the size he’s happy with. At 300% on a monitor? Who cares. Good on ya Tom. (y)

Appetite whetted.

Welcome aboard. Beware though, Fuji stuff is very addictive. :) Look forward to seeing some of your photos.

Back