The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Has anyone considered the Laowa 65mm 2.8 2:1 macro? It's getting excellent reviews, looks like possibly one of the sharpest lenses to date for the X system [also available for Sony APSC and Canon M] - looks stunningly sharp even wide open and show zero signs of CA or distortion, pretty impressive. Yes, being Laowa it is fully mechanical, MF, no cpu data whatsoever - but you don't really need any of that for serious macro. It looks to be an excellent performer for other uses too, portraiture, landscape etc as it's clean and sharp right to the edges and has decent bokeh. The only niggle I'd have with it is the price ... £409 for a MF lens feels a little rich when you consider for not a lot more you could have the 90F2 [used] - but I have to say, it is still tempting as I do love a bit of macro

https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-65mm-2x-ultra-macro-fujifilm.html
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtd4QoeplQ

Has anyone considered the Laowa 65mm 2.8 2:1 macro? It's getting excellent reviews, looks like possibly one of the sharpest lenses to date for the X system [also available for Sony APSC and Canon M] - looks stunningly sharp even wide open and show zero signs of CA or distortion, pretty impressive. Yes, being Laowa it is fully mechanical, MF, no cpu data whatsoever - but you don't really need any of that for serious macro. It looks to be an excellent performer for other uses too, portraiture, landscape etc as it's clean and sharp right to the edges and has decent bokeh. The only niggle I'd have with it is the price ... £409 for a MF lens feels a little rich when you consider for not a lot more you could have the 90F2 [used] - but I have to say, it is still tempting as I do love a bit of macro

https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-65mm-2x-ultra-macro-fujifilm.html
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtd4QoeplQ

Looks like it renders really nicely ... But with my eyesight, I need auto focus lol

Looks like it renders really nicely ... But with my eyesight, I need auto focus lol

I've never been able to get AF to work well for macro, not beyond 1:2 magnification at least. I certainly wouldn't even try it for 2:1! Much better to set your min focus and focus moving your body to and fro. Even breathing can knock focus off because of the insane shallow DOF you have to work with. I always found AF for macro say at 1:1 was too hit and miss. It may lock on, but not always precise enough [missed focus by a hair on a bug's eyes or that specific tiny droplet on a plant] It would be nice to have AF for portraits though, it's not a lens you'd be chasing the kids around with that's for sure.

Of course, I wouldn't think about buying this as a one lens solution, I'm thinking it'd be a nice partner to something like the 35mm 1.4. I was looking up info on the Vitrox 85mm when I came across it and it's side-tracked my interest, I enjoy a bit of macro probably more so than portraiture

I've never been able to get AF to work well for macro, not beyond 1:2 magnification at least. I certainly wouldn't even try it for 2:1! Much better to set your min focus and focus moving your body to and fro. Even breathing can knock focus off because of the insane shallow DOF you have to work with. I always found AF for macro say at 1:1 was too hit and miss. It may lock on, but not always precise enough [missed focus by a hair on a bug's eyes or that specific tiny droplet on a plant] It would be nice to have AF for portraits though, it's not a lens you'd be chasing the kids around with that's for sure.

Of course, I wouldn't think about buying this as a one lens solution, I'm thinking it'd be a nice partner to something like the 35mm 1.4. I was looking up info on the Vitrox 85mm when I came across it and it's side-tracked my interest, I enjoy a bit of macro probably more so than portraiture

I`ve only had 1:1, and admit I find it frustrating at times with auto, but somehow manage to muddle through ;) I take my hat off to those C***n fellas who can use the MP65 , but manual for me is unfortunately totally out :(

I`ve only had 1:1, and admit I find it frustrating at times with auto, but somehow manage to muddle through ;) I take my hat off to those C***n fellas who can use the MP65 , but manual for me is unfortunately totally out :(

2:1 would be rare occasion use for me I think, 1:1 is more comfortable, as I only ever shoot hand-held - so anything beyond 2:1 would be complete over kill for my use. But it's nice to have the option I guess. I think the Canon MP65 is strictly macro only though? it doesn't do infinity or I could be wrong. What I really like about this Laowa is the lack of distortion and CA, it looks stunningly sharp wide open too. It seems a bit of a dream lens for macro enthusiasts who like a bit of portraiture or more compressed landscape shooting on side. This lens can do all of that

Nicely “brassed” looks well, I wish my OCDness would let me give my cameras that well worn look. I have a meltdown if I get the slightest scratch lol

It gets a hard life, it's what i keep it for. TBH the lens had scuffs on it when I bought it from LCE second hand and the body was also LCE second hand less scuffed than it is now. The grip and Thumb Grip were from my first go round with an X-T2. All in all it's a rig I can be less precious with and as long as it keeps working I'm good with it. The first scratch is always the worst. ;)

Last edited:
2:1 would be rare occasion use for me I think, 1:1 is more comfortable, as I only ever shoot hand-held - so anything beyond 2:1 would be complete over kill for my use. But it's nice to have the option I guess. I think the Canon MP65 is strictly macro only though? it doesn't do infinity or I could be wrong. What I really like about this Laowa is the lack of distortion and CA, it looks stunningly sharp wide open too. It seems a bit of a dream lens for macro enthusiasts who like a bit of portraiture or more compressed landscape shooting on side. This lens can do all of that

So all you need to do now, is get one and show us the pix :) I bet you could get some seriously dreamy portraits from it.

So all you need to do now, is get one and show us the pix :) I bet you could get some seriously dreamy portraits from it.

Ha, it is very tempting, but I also want to get a 35 1.4 - if I'm to stick with Fuji, which is looking very likely. Having no lens for the past week has actually got me itching to shoot again ... funny how things work out. I loved the 16mm 1.4 but it was just that bit restrictive as a single lens option. I need some variety

Ha, it is very tempting, but I also want to get a 35 1.4 - if I'm to stick with Fuji, which is looking very likely. Having no lens for the past week has actually got me itching to shoot again ... funny how things work out. I loved the 16mm 1.4 but it was just that bit restrictive as a single lens option. I need some variety

Well this weather isn`t exactly helping with the mojo ;) Glad you got your itch back though, mate (y)
That`s another reason I like macro. When it`s crap out, at least I can hunt around the house to find odd things to shoot ;)

Well this weather isn`t exactly helping with the mojo ;) Glad you got your itch back though, mate (y)
That`s another reason I like macro. When it`s crap out, at least I can hunt around the house to find odd things to shoot ;)

Yup, macro is not just for spring, I feel if I'd had a macro lens over winter I'd have been more active with it. I love close up detail on tree bark, moss, stone, foliage ... any interesting texture can really come to life using a decent macro lens. Doesn't have to be bugs and flowers, they can get a bit stale when over done.

That’s one of the beautiful things about Fuji. There’s so much in camera adjustment you can make.
The adjustments I made are able to be made converting from RAW in camera.
If you’re not familiar give it a go..preview a picture and press the menu button. Go from there.
I take it you can,t do this with more than one photo at a time?.

Cheers for that,it,s what i tthought.:)

I take it you can,t do this with more than one photo at a time?.

Yes. But if you download Fuji X RAW STUDIO. It’s free.
You can convert the RAW on your computer screen using your camera connected via USB. This way you can see just what’s happening when you make changes. You can the save the settings and apply to any other images. You could make a note of the settings and set up a custom picture setting on the camera so you can shoot jpeg in your newly created style.

Kevin Mullins has a tutorial @ f16.click

https://www.f16.click/tips/how-to-use-fujifilm-x-raw-studio.html

Yes. But if you download Fuji X RAW STUDIO. It’s free.
You can convert the RAW on your computer screen using your camera connected via USB. This way you can see just what’s happening when you make changes. You can the save the settings and apply to any other images. You could make a note of the settings and set up a custom picture setting on the camera so you can shoot jpeg in your newly created style.

Kevin Mullins has a tutorial @ f16.click

https://www.f16.click/tips/how-to-use-fujifilm-x-raw-studio.html
Good advice... I can't wait to get my Fuji X100V..... hurry up! :D

Some people in the US have received shipping notifications, so hopefully you will get yours this week. I'm going to a touch a try day next week for a fondle, knowing me I'll probably come home with a GFX-50R and a GF45mm instead!!!
Yeah mmmm those GFX bodies are begging to be bought! :D lol
One chap in Australia has already got his ..... :eek:
I am going with B+W filters as opposed to the Fuji one....... :)

Last edited:
Yeah mmmm those GFX bodies are begging to be bought! :D lol

It's the cost of glass, I could possibly live with just the GF45mm and GF23mm, but that's still nearly 4K in glass. I went to an exhibition on Saturday where there were many large prints (1m or so) taken on a MF 6x7 film camera and I just love the 3D dimensionality (they were portraits and shots within a shipbuilding factory), but this has less of an effect on landscapes than closer range work. But the Fuji MF sensor is small compared to 6x7 so the effect isn't a spronounced. The biggest effect on landscapes is the fact that wide angles aren't really that wide so a GF23mm image has the effects of a 23mm lens in terms of compression/distortion compared with 12mm on APSC,

Being stuck at home most of the week, I've researched absolutely everything and watched tons of you-tube videos etc, I think I'm lusting after something that doesn't exisit (@snerkler syndrome :D), and then if you watch something like this

I think I then revert back to the X100 series cameras, as the images he's generated from the X100F are just beautiful.

Basically I've probably spent several hundred hours to back to my first thoughts.......

It's the cost of glass, I could possibly live with just the GF45mm and GF23mm, but that's still nearly 4K in glass. I went to an exhibition on Saturday where there were many large prints (1m or so) taken on a MF 6x7 film camera and I just love the 3D dimensionality (they were portraits and shots within a shipbuilding factory), but this has less of an effect on landscapes than closer range work. But the Fuji MF sensor is small compared to 6x7 so the effect isn't a spronounced. The biggest effect on landscapes is the fact that wide angles aren't really that wide so a GF23mm image has the effects of a 23mm lens in terms of compression/distortion compared with 12mm on APSC,

Being stuck at home most of the week, I've researched absolutely everything and watched tons of you-tube videos etc, I think I'm lusting after something that doesn't exisit (@snerkler syndrome :D), and then if you watch something like this

I think I then revert back to the X100 series cameras, as the images he's generated from the X100F are just beautiful.

Basically I've probably spent several hundred hours to back to my first thoughts.......

Haha I do that too..... going to stick with the Fuji X100V...... it's a relatively small setup.
How often would you carry about the GFX with lenses... its a big brick no matter which way you dress it up! lol :D

Haha I do that too..... going to stick with the Fuji X100V...... it's a relatively small setup.
How often would you carry about the GFX with lenses... its a big brick no matter which way you dress it up! lol :D

I'd keep my X100F !! and yes the GFX-50R is very brick like, but I happily carried a GFX-50S+32-64 in a Billingham Hadley Pro bag. Obviously it wouldn't fit in a Hipster Man Bag!!

I'd keep my X100F !! and yes the GFX-50R is very brick like, but I happily carried a GFX-50S+32-64 in a Billingham Hadley Pro bag. Obviously it wouldn't fit in a Hipster Man Bag!!
Speaking of which... my Hipster Man Bag has been delivered!
The only items left now is the Fuji X100V itself and the B+W Filters.... :D

To be honest, the Fuji X100F is still a good camera, you have to decide what you need / want etc..... I am sticking to my plan... fixed lens high end compact..... will avoid ILC systems for now... as that ends up in a big money pit lol

To be honest, the Fuji X100F is still a good camera, you have to decide what you need / want etc..... I am sticking to my plan... fixed lens high end compact..... will avoid ILC systems for now... as that ends up in a big money pit lol

Not if you have even a modicum of self control. For example mount a reasonably priced compact prime on an ILC and you have a camera and lens that needn't be prohibitably bigger than a fixed lens camera and could even compete on cost grounds. This is one reason why I stuck with the Sony A7 rather than going for a fixed lens Sony RXx.

In your case you had some of the best modern AF lenses on sale and that's where the money pit came from. You've now settled for a camera with what could be described as, and no insult at all is intended here, a rather unremarkable in the great scheme of things lens. If keeping the costs down was an aim from the outset you could have done that with an ILC. They don't necessarily have to be money pits.

I too am patiently waiting for my V

Not if you have even a modicum of self control. For example mount a reasonably priced compact prime on an ILC and you have a camera and lens that needn't be prohibitably bigger than a fixed lens camera and could even compete on cost grounds. This is one reason why I stuck with the Sony A7 rather than going for a fixed lens Sony RXx.

In your case you had some of the best modern AF lenses on sale and that's where the money pit came from. You've now settled for a camera with what could be described as, and no insult at all is intended here, a rather unremarkable in the great scheme of things lens. If keeping the costs down was an aim from the outset you could have done that with an ILC. They don't necessarily have to be money pits.

If your going to buy into a ILC system, you are most likely going to buy more than a lens or two, otherwise what is the point of going down the ILC route.
A ILC system gives you that flexibility..... however there are many factors to consider when picking a camera system....... in your case they A7 clearly works well for you, hence why you have never felt the need to upgrade :)
For me it was a very clunky camera which desperately needed an upgrade.... to which Sony answered with the A7 II and III models.
To buy a expensive FF system and then put cheap lenses on it seems pointless imo.

I agree that I had some of the best kit available, but it was bought with the mindset of doing paid work, that plan was scrapped when I landed a permanent role within IT (better £££) :D
I kept the Sony gear about 6-8 months during which I considered my options, in the end.... I decided I wanted something smaller and cheaper and that the bulk of the money is better off in the bank account.
For my needs, it was just too much money sat in gear that I mostly used for family photos etc, something which a Fuji system can easily do but a lower price point with added other benefits for my usage.

I am the type of guy that usually always goes for the top model .... so it was always going to end badly for me now matter what stuff I buy! :D

Where did you order from? I ordered mine at Wex. I bought my first X100 from there in 2011!
I ordered my X100V from Harrison's :D
My original X100 was bought from Calumet in Manchester as they did a good price for me and I managed to get a cancellation @ £949, everywhere else was waiting for ages and the Tsunami hit too, my serial no was Nxxxxxxx391. :)

I ordered my X100V from Harrison's :D
My original X100 was bought from Calumet in Manchester as they did a good price for me and I managed to get a cancellation @ £949, everywhere else was waiting for ages and the Tsunami hit too, my serial no was Nxxxxxxx391. :)
I think I saw most of your old gear in there yesterday ;)

I didn't realise that you'd ordered your X100V from there, there was a guy in yesterday enquiring about the X100V and they were concerned about fulfilling their orders as something went wrong and they're not getting the stock they were told :eek:

.... just kidding :p

I think I saw most of your old gear in there yesterday ;)

I didn't realise that you'd ordered your X100V from there, there was a guy in yesterday enquiring about the X100V and they were concerned about fulfilling their orders as something went wrong and they're not getting the stock they were told :eek:

.... just kidding :p
Yeah you might have seen some of my gear (GM lenses) ..... they were only £200-300 approx worse off than my trying to sell it privately :D
Hehe..... hopefully everybody gets plenty of stock, however Fuji are expecting it to sell in bigger numbers compared to the X100F, not sure how they worked that out.

Yeah you might have seen some of my gear (GM lenses) ..... they were only £200-300 approx worse off than my trying to sell it privately :D
Hehe..... hopefully everybody gets plenty of stock, however Fuji are expecting it to sell in bigger numbers compared to the X100F, not sure how they worked that out.

Might be an extrapolated curve, X100, X100S and X100T sold in roughly equal numbers, X100F sold more, so some bean counter might just assume that the X100V will sell even more.

Might be an extrapolated curve, X100, X100S and X100T sold in roughly equal numbers, X100F sold more, so some bean counter might just assume that the X100V will sell even more.
Probably..... hopefully they have no QC issues and it gets some positive reviews to help their sales.
Looking forward to shooting wide open at f2.0 and getting good sharpness + blur :D

Yup, macro is not just for spring, I feel if I'd had a macro lens over winter I'd have been more active with it. I love close up detail on tree bark, moss, stone, foliage ... any interesting texture can really come to life using a decent macro lens. Doesn't have to be bugs and flowers, they can get a bit stale when over done.

I totally agree with you mate, although I do like dried skeletal flower heads. Nice texture on some, but also kitchen utensils can be fun :) I'm pretty lucky to have quite a reflective desk, so that always helps :)

Hi peeps, really wanting the 100-400 but was wondering why there is so many second hand especially at MPB, do people not get on with them and chuck the towel in early, or are they not as good as expected???

Back