The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

X100F owners, do you use the built in ND filter and does it do the job? Also, is there a "not so expensive" way of getting a filter thread on the end, as I would like to use a polariser from time to time.

I wish these Viltrox people would do a wide angle.... I have the Fuji 35 f1.4 & 90 f2, so something between 14-18 would be good.

X100F owners, do you use the built in ND filter and does it do the job? Also, is there a "not so expensive" way of getting a filter thread on the end, as I would like to use a polariser from time to time.

I wish these Viltrox people would do a wide angle.... I have the Fuji 35 f1.4 & 90 f2, so something between 14-18 would be good.

used the nd for slowing water, cloud motion and in really bright sunshine to keep aperture low. Works well and not noticed any image loss that others have complained about, but I haven't used it at 2 , 2.8 etc. Probably used it no lower than 5.6.

Just buy a cheap hood and adapter from amazon and screw a polariser to it instead of a standard filter. That's what I do on the v and f.

A 16mm F2. 8 would be spot on I reckon and a fraction of the price of the Fuji version

Last edited by a moderator:
Viltrox do have some WA experience, they do a 20mm 1.8 for Nikon and Sony mount, it's MF but also very cheap considering it is designed for full frame. It got some good reviews too

Not happy.....

Just went to order the F from the Refurb store and they're now out of stock..... :mad:

When the postie chaps at the door with a parcel, you open it and find an other Viltrox 23 and 33mm inside :ROFLMAO:

Looks like Lee on Facebook marketplace might have had a wee senior moment and sent 2 parcels by accident ha ha.

Honest me will send them back though (y)

Well first shoot down with the 85

its a lovely lens but I need to use it some more , I found myself defaulting back to my 50mm f2...

The out of focus areas are smooth as smooth, even the highlights are soft, the rest needs no comment, it is all as you would hope it would be.

@stupI seen you're hunting for grads. I noticed you said you're after soft grads but just in case you were unaware then medium grads are best for mirrorless sensors I believe. The soft grads have too much of a gradual effect for the size of the sensor unless, of course, that's what you want. Some food for thought.

The out of focus areas are smooth as smooth, even the highlights are soft, the rest needs no comment, it is all as you would hope it would be.

Yeah pretty pleased with the bokeh, nice and buttery as they say on YouTube

Need to recalibrate where I stand and feel a little removed from the subject

Agreed there is a bit of disconnect, working distance does work in your favor with candids though.

The natural drawing of an 85mm lens eliminates any distortion of features in portraiture, so is very kind to people.
Used almost fully open, like you have done, they still gives enough depth of field in 3/4 and full length shots. But it is more challenging in head shots, and closing down another stop still give plenty of background separation. though it is the trend for some photographers to work with a knife edge depth.

Many subjects are more comfortable posing, at the longer distances required, with such a focal length, as you are not intruding into their personal space.

Yes with the added separation I am quite looking forward to trying it out round the city

The natural drawing of an 85mm lens eliminates any distortion of features in portraiture, so is very kind to people.
Used almost fully open, like you have done, they still gives enough depth of field in 3/4 and full length shots. But it is more challenging in head shots, and closing down another stop still give plenty of background separation. though it is the trend for some photographers to work with a knife edge depth.

Many subjects are more comfortable posing, at the longer distances required, with such a focal length, as you are not intruding into their personal space.
Agreed, thank heavens for eye AF

Have to say the lens is tack sharp, not sure the journey to the forum has done it justice from that point of view

the new 56 is really interesting, might even consider selling the 50f2 for it ( not sure I need both lol )

For £150 the 85 is deffo worth it even if its not used all the time

Have to say the lens is tack sharp, not sure the journey to the forum has done it justice from that point of view

the new 56 is really interesting, might even consider selling the 50f2 for it ( not sure I need both lol )

For £150 the 85 is deffo worth it even if its not used all the time
At that price it is nice to have in the bag for periodic use

@stupI seen you're hunting for grads. I noticed you said you're after soft grads but just in case you were unaware then medium grads are best for mirrorless sensors I believe. The soft grads have too much of a gradual effect for the size of the sensor unless, of course, that's what you want. Some food for thought.
That's good to know mate. If not bought anything yet so I will focus my search on 100mm medium grads.

The only real weakness of the Vs is CA in certain scenarios.

yeah ive seen this a bit in some reviews.

did also watch a comparison with the 85 & 90 that didn't make the 85 look too good. will find it and share shortly.

did also watch a comparison with the 85 & 90 that didn't make the 85 look too good. will find it and share shortly.

But that 90 is an outstanding lens, probably one of the best I've ever used.

Looking at this blind test comparison between the 85 and 90, which is which, (youve already seen this) but interested what others think and if most consider the price difference worth it.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Last edited:
Well, this was a bit of a surprise. Visited Old Sarum today to look around the ruins, and as I had the 50-140 on at the time, I shot this wild rabbit without checking my settings. 1/40th sec, handheld, f8 at full range. This is a 100% crop.

No sharpening at all.

Wild Rabbit by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

The stabilisation worked well, and even at 100% it's still usable, even at 1/40th....

When the postie chaps at the door with a parcel, you open it and find an other Viltrox 23 and 33mm inside :ROFLMAO:

Looks like Lee on Facebook marketplace might have had a wee senior moment and sent 2 parcels by accident ha ha.

Honest me will send them back though (y)

let me just pm you my, ahem, his address

Last edited:
The only real weakness of the Vs is CA in certain scenarios.

I actually put the 85 to the CA test, as I do with all lenses; and was impressed. It's way better than the likes of the Canon 85 1.8 or the Nikon 85 1.8G in my experience, I really had to force it to note anything intrusive even wide open. it's no laowa, those things are anti-CA beast! but it stands up pretty well, maybe the 23 and 33 aren't quite as good?

I actually put the 85 to the CA test, as I do with all lenses; and was impressed. It's way better than the likes of the Canon 85 1.8 or the Nikon 85 1.8G in my experience, I really had to force it to note anything intrusive even wide open. it's no laowa, those things are anti-CA beast! but it stands up pretty well, maybe the 23 and 33 aren't quite as good?

The 85 is decent, I meant more the 23 and 33, the canon was terrible for ca and the new v56 looks good, very similar to the 85.

Was probably a pre-FW vid, seen them all pretty much and many reviewers came back with updates

Yes I know I should mutli-quote here but I'm having a Bulmers and playing a game on side so it is what it is :p

Those debating the Viltrox 85 just buy the bloody thing it’s fantastic for the money and equivalent to 135 on your Fuji’s. It’s just cost me £1400 to get a 135 for the A73, ungrateful gits LOL

Even the fact that comparisons are close tells you something, because the price sure aint. I agree with Pete here, even if he has me blocked for the past year or so :ROFLMAO:

Back to Cwmorthin and Rhosydd yesterday, windy was an understatement, at times at Rhosydd it was near impossible to stand up! Hat blew away and landed 50m away in the river exit from the main Cwmorthin Lake :eek: Fortunately with the aid of walking poles it could be fished out, drying it out hanging on the back of my rucksack, caught it on the latch of a gate, and broke the strap, obviously destined not to have it :ROFLMAO: Far too windy to use the GSW690III so you'll have to make do with some snaps from the X-H1

Cwmorthin - View From Barracks
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Rhosydd - The Stream From The Adit

200911 Rhosydd

Last edited:
Back