The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Advice on wide lenses, please!

I have the 18-135, which is a perfect allrounder, but there's a sale on in the UAE stores, and I have nominal wife-permission if it means more nice pics for our walls, which means I'm looking at something wide. I like the idea of the 18mm as a walkabout, and that's less than £200. But then I really like the idea of the 10-24. I would miss the extra speed of the 18 a little, but then the 10-24 would get used more for landscapes and architecture stuff, which would dictate something slower anyway.

Any advice for someone who's only ever stuck to mid-range zooms before?

I went for the 14mm to go with the 18-135. It's the equivalent of 21mm on fullframe and I knew from having a 17-40 on my Canon 5D that I rarely went wider than that. I've not been disappointed so far. There's a couple of photos at the link and you can click through to Flickr and then click on the photo to see it a bigger size.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/abandoned-cottage-b-w-shots-added.591806/#post-6925591

Last edited:
Plenty of 2nd hand 18s around cheap since it was the lens given away with the X-Pro1. Not a bad performer but a limited focal range! ;) The 10-24 is plenty wide for almost every use and is way more versatile than the prime route. Wide angles don't lend themselves to shallow DoF as well as longer lengths so the wider maximum aperture is less important than on (say) the 18-55/135.

Thanks all. This is the way I'm leaning. We're off to Chernobyl in a couple of weeks, which is not a trip I expect to do more than once, so I'm thinking versatility is key, and the 10mm option for interiors appeals hugely.

Would you need a wider aperture for the low light? If so the 14/16 might be better? Unless happy to do manual focus on the 12

That's definitely a trip of a lifetime

Would you need a wider aperture for the low light? If so the 14/16 might be better? Unless happy to do manual focus on the 12

That's definitely a trip of a lifetime

Hard to know exactly on aperture before I get there tbh, but it'll be daytime in July, so I don't imagine it'll be too dark, and I have a gorillapod I'll chuck in the camera begin case I need to get a longer exposure than I can get away with using OIS alone. Instinct tells me the 10mm option with slightly high ISO will be a less painful compromise than perfect exposure but missing the composition.

For our next year's worth of trips (India, Kenya and the empty quarter) there should be plenty of light and lovely wide panoramas to grab, which again pushes me towards the 10-24.

I think my mind's made up. How the hell much are they?! :eek:

To be fair a comparable f4 wide DX prime from Nikon is also £600.

I reckon I'll get one of these eventually, just waiting for one to pop up second hand and then will sell the monster Nikon 14-24mm which is such a back breaker!

Very nice, where in the world is it ? Thought I'd pull a fast one and get the v4 firmware tonight by going on to the Fuji New Zealand support site, but it isn't up yet ? Wonder if it's going to be released tomorrow o_O

Really ? Why that time, is it significant ? You gonna upgrade your pre release ?

Very nice, where in the world is it ? Thought I'd pull a fast one and get the v4 firmware tonight by going on to the Fuji New Zealand support site, but it isn't up yet ? Wonder if it's going to be released tomorrow o_O

Sierra Nevada in Spain [emoji3]

According to fuji rumours:)
download%20Party_zpshalgzngl.png

Fuji Rumors had a count down on the top right corner of their home page and as of now (00:22 UK time) we have 4 hours and 39 minutes to go :clap:

Darn it... at work, going to have to wait until this evening now....:mad:

Nice set of images David, but the last shot for me is "Ace".(y)

George.

I've just put it on my card and done the upgrade but nothingn seems to have changed. Can't see the A/F changes or anything else. wWhat do I do with a Word document? I know nowt about geek stuff!

I've just put it on my card and done the upgrade but nothingn seems to have changed. Can't see the A/F changes or anything else. wWhat do I do with a Word document? I know nowt about geek stuff!
So does the camera confirm as version 4 now? Hold back button while switching on and it will tell you the firmware.

I've not actually done the upgrade just yet, but if it's the same as previous upgrades then first download it to your computer, it should go into the downloads folder. Then put a freshly (preferably camera) formatted SD card into your computer/card reader. Then just drag the download file across to the SD card. When it's copied put the card into your camera. Then switch the camera on while holding the Disp Back button and follow the instructions on your camera screen. Job Done.(y)

George.

I've not actually done the upgrade just yet, but if it's the same as previous upgrades then first download it to your computer, it should go into the downloads folder. Then put a freshly (preferably camera) formatted SD card into your computer/card reader. Then just drag the download file across to the SD card. When it's copied put the card into your camera. Then switch the camera on while holding the Disp Back button and follow the instructions on your camera screen. Job Done.(y)

George.
Think I've sorted it. When i downloaded it the file was given a (1) on the end of it's name. Presumably because a previous download was still in the folder. Once I renamed it then everything seems to have worked OK.

Back