The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Can't tell you what to buy but can offer my solution to covering as much FL as possible in as few lenses as possible - 10-24, 18-135 and 100-400 (+ the 1.4x teleconverter.) IME, wider apertures are less useful at wider focal lengths UNLESS you want to do astro, in which case a wider aperture can certainly be handy! IQ from primes is generally slightly better than that from zooms but in real life, the Fuji zooms are good enough for prints up to A3+.
Cheers Nod. Helpful comments (y)

Can't tell you what to buy but can offer my solution to covering as much FL as possible in as few lenses as possible - 10-24, 18-135 and 100-400 (+ the 1.4x teleconverter.) IME, wider apertures are less useful at wider focal lengths UNLESS you want to do astro, in which case a wider aperture can certainly be handy! IQ from primes is generally slightly better than that from zooms but in real life, the Fuji zooms are good enough for prints up to A3+.
Have to agree, to an extent. My lens collection has reduced from 8 to 4, and the remaining lenses are 10-24 f4, 50-140, 100-400 and the 35 f1.4/. I also have the 1.4TC. That lot covers just about everything for me, but I do hanker for a 23 f1.4, but I need to spend money on other things...

Mine for my X-T2s is 10-24, 16-55 and 50-140 plus 1.4 and 2x Converters pretty much covers everything I need.

Thanks to all those who offered thoughts, advice etc on lenses in my earlier post. Still pondering, I'm not in a rush. Had a short wander down at Cardiff Bay barrage this morning with the 18-55 on so here's three for your viewing pleasure.

The first is my attempt at being artistic - a photo of the outflow from the Bay into the Bristol Channel - first the swirling dark water from the outflow and then left to right as it flows over a cill into the Cardiff foreshore

The second a small sailing boat awaiting clearance to come through the sea locks on the barrage into Cardiff Bay. The flat grey building to the right is the control room for the barrage.

The third shot is the central of three sea locks purging in order to let the small sailing boat in the first shot in. The tide was well out, and with the large tidal range hereabouts, there a big difference between the water levels inside the barrage in Cardiff Bay and outside at low tide.

DSCF0721 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

DSCF0731 by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

Cardiff Bay Barrage Sea Lock by Simon Hiscocks, on Flickr

I've got an absolutely massive backlog of processing to chew through... I'm dreading it, but at the same time excited about what I might find. Here's a couple that I had completely forgotten about. When shooting I didn't really think much of them, by that point I had been wondering around the woods aimlessly for around 5 hours whilst waiting for the garage to call and say my car was fixed.

My legs were not happy that day, but the dog sure was!

I'm not sure on the first one -The way the light fell on the leaves below makes it look overprocessed, like that awful HDR halo effect. I assure you it isn't, all I did was bump contrast a bit and drop the blacks. When shooting I thought the out of focus leaves mirroring the main subject in the background would look good so long as I kept them very subtle, unfortunately the light scuppered my plan. Any attempt to darken or make that background less gaudy just made it look fake and overprocessed. So yeah, I like the bottom half of the image, not so keen on the top half.

DSCF1931 by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Fern by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Edit: Decided to crop in heavily on the top one to try and hide that upper right area, think I prefer this -

Fern by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Last edited:
The only things I'm keeping are now in my signature, so two lenses can go but only one original box as the wife chucked out the 18mm box.
Is it the 18mm f2 pancake you have Dave?

More MP, diopter would be nice, Acros.

I’m actually getting nothing from my X-Pro1 - just ‘another’ bout of GAS :ROFLMAO:
I agree the diopter is very nice, weather sealing (as long as the lens is too) is nice, Classic Chrome for me and double cards but, and this is a big but, are those extras worth the money. FYI I did just buy an X-Pro 2 and 23mm f2 as a bad weather walkaround and it wss nice but I had to return it (I won't go into the reasons but it was nothing to do with the camera quality). I still have one of my old X-Pro 1s and have just ordered a 18-55 to fit the bad weather walkaround (I know it isn't weather sealed but the body owes me nothing and the lens is a bit of a beater (cheap) so it will do). FWIW I do still love the output from that original sensor and I hope the kit doesn't die in use.

FWIW I do still love the output from that original sensor and I hope the kit doesn't die in use.
I think that’s the rub for me, I prefer the output of the OG X-Pro1 over any other Fujifilm camera I’ve owned & at £800 quid I’d probably be better elsewhere, such as the half the cost X-T2.

It’s not my ‘main’ camera system - I just enjoy using the Fuji’s more than most others I have.

I love the output from my XPro1 but the XPro2 is technically a better camera.
That said the XPro2 has all the things that annoyed me on the XPro1 fixed but the sensor in the XPro1 gives gorgeous images, as long as you compose correctly and dont need to crop.

can any one recommend a bag for an x-t2 and a couple of lenses. I want to get one for my stepdaughter but pictures online don't really help much.

can any one recommend a bag for an x-t2 and a couple of lenses. I want to get one for my stepdaughter but pictures online don't really help much.

I use one of these -

With one of these inside -

It's big enough for my X-T3, 18-55mm, 70-300mm, a prime of my choice, spare batteries, a couple of filters, and a couple of other bits (lens cleaning gear, extension tubes etc).

I take it literally everywhere, never leave the house without it, never walk the dog without it, never go on my lunchtime walk without it... The previous one lasted 7-8 years of every day use. It put up with rain, snow, waterfalls, seawater, climbing mountains, basically everything I threw at it.

Eventually I replaced it not because anything failed like a strap or zip, but because I wore a hole in it where my hip rubbed on it. For £30, to get 7 years of abusive use out of it is value that simply can't be beat.

I use one of these -

With one of these inside -

It's big enough for my X-T3, 18-55mm, 70-300mm, a prime of my choice, spare batteries, a couple of filters, and a couple of other bits (lens cleaning gear, extension tubes etc).

I take it literally everywhere, never leave the house without it, never walk the dog without it, never go on my lunchtime walk without it... The previous one lasted 7-8 years of every day use. It put up with rain, snow, waterfalls, seawater, climbing mountains, basically everything I threw at it.

Eventually I replaced it not because anything failed like a strap or zip, but because I wore a hole in it where my hip rubbed on it. For £30, to get 7 years of abusive use out of it is value that simply can't be beat.

I just ordered one of those camera insert bags to use it in my backpack, should arrive later in the week right in time for a trip I'm making next week, thank you!

I just ordered one of those camera insert bags to use it in my backpack, should arrive later in the week right in time for a trip I'm making next week, thank you!

Looking through the images I was just reminded of how much I laughed when unpacking it... Their slogan, written on the packaging is "We try our best".

Same dudes, same...

Away into the woods once more. A wander round with the X-Pro1 & XF23mm.

Hanbury Woods VIII by Dave Young, on Flickr

I bought this X-Pro1 back in 2012 but have since moved on to Leica M9s and X-T2s (as well as GFX 50S). I used 3 of these at one time and refused to "upgrade" to the X-Pro2 so when the X-Pro1 discontinued I bought another 3 for future proofing. Anyway since then I sold the other 5 to fund the X-T2s that more suited what I was doing, I kept this one just because it was so beaten that it wouldn't be worth my while selling it. Fast Forward to this year and I wanted a take anywhere easy carry option that I could use in poor weather so I bought an X-Pro2 and 23mm f2 lens (weather sealed). Long story short I sent both back as they didn't quite fit my catch all requirements (plus they were a hefty outlay). I re-visited the requirement and decided that my X-Pro1 owed me nothing so I got a cheap "beater" 18-55 (from an affiliate link in the forum) and paired them for my catch all requirement knowing that they are not weather sealed so accepting that I may kill them in use.

The camera and new (to me) lens.

L1010788a.JPG

This is one of the first shots I took with this camera (with the original 35mm) back in 2012, as you can see it's raining.

Week 49 - No Fanny by the Gaslight.jpg

The rig will be used mostly in these conditions and as I said if it dies I'll cross that bridge then.

Is the X-Pro2 and a weather sealed lens a more sensible option................. probably

Is that combo worth the money to me............ definitely not.

Here's to many more poor weather snapshots on that original sensor.

Last edited:
Some holiday snaps from a short trip to Bath

1. Bath Skyline Walk
Bath II by Ian, on Flickr

2. Blue hour abbey
Bath III by Ian, on Flickr

3. Gateway to Bath
Bath I by Ian, on Flickr

4. An in-progress 180 pano of Bath Abbey. I went to Peter Li's exhibition in London earlier in the week where he was showing his shot of Bath Abbey so I thought I'd have a go. Lots to learn about processing (esp straightening columns using warp tools) but if you don't peek too closely you get the general idea of the shot.
Bath IV by Ian, on Flickr

3 was with a Fuji X-T2 with a 50mm, the rest with a 10-24. Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Some holiday snaps from a short trip to Bath

1. Bath Skyline Walk
Bath II by Ian, on Flickr

2. Blue hour abbey
Bath III by Ian, on Flickr

3. Gateway to Bath
Bath I by Ian, on Flickr

4. An in-progress 180 pano of Bath Abbey. I went to Peter Li's exhibition in London earlier in the week where he was showing his shot of Bath Abbey so I thought I'd have a go. Lot's to learn about processing (esp straightening columns using warp tools) but if you don't peek too closely you get the general idea of the shot.
Bath IV by Ian, on Flickr

3 was with a Fuji X-T2 with a 50mm, the rest with a 10-24. Thanks for looking
Very nice set, Ian. The light looks lovely in the first bunch. But that pano is crazy cool, I love it (y)

That file output from the X-Pro1 is just beautiful.

Love mine.

Regards;
Peter
Cheers Peter, not many of us left rocking the X-Pro1.

In other news had a quick look at an X-T5 today in store. Only had a little fondle, but it’s an impressive looking machine.

Back