The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

How about the Fuji 16-80? It has the marked aperture, WR and goes down to 16mm at the wide end, but rarely gets mentioned on here. I am tempted to "upgrade" my kit lens to one, for the aforementioned reasons.

Yep, good shout. I think I personally have always discounted it due to the aperture. For daytime use, and even early evening I guess, it shouldn't be an issue though.

High ISO noise reduction sample
Shot at 12800

1st using PureRaw and Deep Prime
Willow by Trevor, on Flickr

2nd Using Lightroom Denoise
WillowLRDN by Trevor, on Flickr

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Well I’m on phone at the minute but even going on Flickr to me they are indistinguishable.

I did a lot of testing on my images both from the XT-4 and the GX9.

My end conclusion was that LR was as good if not better in some situations (eyebrows/lashes/hair looks better to my eyes in LR) to the point where the extra ‘effort’ of using DXO wasn’t worth it.

I will add however I use(d) Photolab rather than PureRaw and version 5 with only the original DeepPrime not the newer version in PL6 and PR3.

For me I won’t be upgrading my DXO software now unless something amazing happens as doing everything inside LR is now giving me as good or better results.

My thoughts anyway. You may of course disagree!

Well I’m on phone at the minute but even going on Flickr to me they are indistinguishable.

I did a lot of testing on my images both from the XT-4 and the GX9.

My end conclusion was that LR was as good if not better in some situations (eyebrows/lashes/hair looks better to my eyes in LR) to the point where the extra ‘effort’ of using DXO wasn’t worth it.

I will add however I use(d) Photolab rather than PureRaw and version 5 with only the original DeepPrime not the newer version in PL6 and PR3.

For me I won’t be upgrading my DXO software now unless something amazing happens as doing everything inside LR is now giving me as good or better results.

My thoughts anyway. You may of course disagree!

From my simple testing, I thiought that LR was very good, but on stopped down images especially where there was an ISO bump, DXO was much better towards the corners (not something you can see on @trevorbray's wide aperture image. LR was also painfully slow on my PC especially on high MP files (but I can't necessarily blame LR for that!) I was already a DXO PureRAW2 user and for the moment I'm going to stick with that. As a RAW processor I think that PureRAW extracts more detail than LR.

PureRAW has some issues though, sometimes IMO it oversharpens and can get a bit excited with the greens, but both of those are easy to correct when they happen.

Currently I import all images in LR, then re-process the selecetion that I'm going to edit using PureRAW

From my simple testing, I thiought that LR was very good, but on stopped down images especially where there was an ISO bump, DXO was much better towards the corners (not something you can see on @trevorbray's wide aperture image. LR was also painfully slow on my PC especially on high MP files (but I can't necessarily blame LR for that!) I was already a DXO PureRAW2 user and for the moment I'm going to stick with that. As a RAW processor I think that PureRAW extracts more detail than LR.

PureRAW has some issues though, sometimes IMO it oversharpens and can get a bit excited with the greens, but both of those are easy to correct when they happen.

Currently I import all images in LR, then re-process the selecetion that I'm going to edit using PureRAW
Possibly a case of image choice and maybe even demosaicing(sp?) for a given camera.

My use case is currently skewed towards portraits of my girls and just general family stuff with a bit of wildlife thrown in.

I think iirc you skew more towards landscape and architecture?
Possibly DXO extracts more detail there.

I’ll keep testing from time to time but I find ultimately both give me results I’m happy with but staying working inside LR vs LR>PL5>LR works better now for me.

Don’t ultimately think you can go wrong with either workflow now though.

Edit: may even be coming down to means of viewing.
I only have my 14” MacBook 11” iPad Pro and phone.
On a larger properly calibrated screen maybe I’d think differently.

Last edited:
Possibly a case of image choice and maybe even demosaicing(sp?) for a given camera.

My use case is currently skewed towards portraits of my girls and just general family stuff with a bit of wildlife thrown in.

I think iirc you skew more towards landscape and architecture?
Possibly DXO extracts more detail there.

I’ll keep testing from time to time but I find ultimately both give me results I’m happy with but staying working inside LR vs LR>PL5>LR works better now for me.

Don’t ultimately think you can go wrong with either workflow now though.

Edit: may even be coming down to means of viewing.
I only have my 14” MacBook 11” iPad Pro and phone.
On a larger properly calibrated screen maybe I’d think differently.

I've tried it with Bayer (GFX) and X-Trans (X100F) and yes I agree viewing can make a huge difference (I have dual 27" monitors, both calibrated) - I will say that PureRAW has given a new lease life to the original X100 (Bayer).

I like LR, and prefer to work within it, dipping out and back in for PueRAW, photoshop and Silver Efex as required.

There is no right answer to all this, just whatever workflow you find that works best for you.

I have PureRAW 3 on trial at the moment, and am liking the results so far (apart from the huge file size it creates). Pretty damn quick processing on a T5 raw, too. I actually have a great dislike for LR, but that`s probably due to using PS since CS3 ;)
My oddball workflow is import to C1 express, pick what I like and dump the rest. Open PR3 to process, then PS, and save as jpeg. Long winded, but works for me :)

Yep, good shout. I think I personally have always discounted it due to the aperture. For daytime use, and even early evening I guess, it shouldn't be an issue though.
I have one (16-80 f4), fine all round lens. Not as good as the 16-55 f2.8 but probably equal to the 18-55 kit lens with a bit more reach. In the end you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
First time out with my camera for a few weeks, another trip to Donington and some more 2023 British GT Championship action. All taken with my X-T4 and Fuji 100-400mm and 18-55mm kit lenses.

1. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

2. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

3. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

4. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

5. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

6. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

7. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

8. British GT Championship 2023 by Richard Crawford, on Flickr

I use a generic (just checked and it's a Sony one) USB mains plug thingy and a normal USB Micro lead to charge my X-30. Have charged it using a wall socket with USB ports too.

I have a friend who has inherited an Xt-4 but without the usb charging lead and adaptor.
Are the genuine or third party adapters etc available or should she buy the dual charger and remove the battery from the camera?
any advice please
It will charge off basically any USB-C charger. I regularly charge mine at my desk using the charger and USB-C cable that came with my iPad. It will also happily charge off my phone charger and Anker USB cable. If you can charge a mobile phone you can probably charge the camera.

I have a friend who has inherited an Xt-4 but without the usb charging lead and adaptor.
Are the genuine or third party adapters etc available or should she buy the dual charger and remove the battery from the camera?
any advice please

First time out with my camera for a few weeks, another trip to Donington and some more 2023 British GT Championship action. All taken with my X-T4 and Fuji 100-400mm and 18-55mm kit lenses.

Nice work, Richard (y)

#3 made me chuckle "They've knicked the `kin wheels" ;)

They're all great, but number 5 is lovely, great composition! Probably the least technical one as it's really hard to get the panning right as you've successfully done in others, but the composition really works well for me.

Nice work, Richard (y)

#3 made me chuckle "They've knicked the `kin wheels" ;)
:D It does look like the mechanic is a bit perplexed about where they've gone. I like the reflection of the rest of the pitlane in his helmet as well.
They're all great, but number 5 is lovely, great composition! Probably the least technical one as it's really hard to get the panning right as you've successfully done in others, but the composition really works well for me.
Thank you, there was a really big crowd there on Sunday for the race so I wanted to try and show that

Has anyone tried the X-T5's 2.00 firmware yet?
Pal2Tech seems to think it's improved the Eye/Face AF, but I'm a bit reticent to install a dot zero release.
I have it on mine. Not tried eye/face, but general tracking seems better for sure.

Stunning stunning captures Richard - excellent work. Love these, quality Sir....!

Superb framing and vivid colours - wOOw

Respect.

Regards.
Peter

B

Before I take the plunge.
Any bugs raised there head? I recall prior to 1.04 I got the camera freezing issue with multiple people and eye af.
Bearing in mind I don`t scatter gun shoot. So far I`ve had no issues at all. Trying to track Bees is still a bit hit and miss though ;)

I don't scatter gun. But I am often in situations where there are multiple possible subjects...
Can`t help you there, I'm afraid.

I've installed it day one, was actually on a trip overseas so was a bit risky to do it, but no problems to report whatsoever.

I'm going to take the error 502 I get when requesting the X-T5 firmware page as an omen and not install it today (mid event).
Best not to, mid event.

Back