The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I use the 1.4. It's almost my go to lens. Yes it can take a fraction if a second to focus. But for my style of togging this is no handicap at all. I do use a tripod a lot.
I suppose if I wanted to take pictures of my dear grandchildren being little angels there might be a concern but thankfully I don't have any of those.
I like the 1.4 and can live without superfast focus especially as I do use manual focus quite a bit.

I've been playing around with the 35mm F2 on apro for a week or so and it is certainly a fine optic. I've also now got the 35mm F1.4 on apro for a short while to compare.

My initial findings are as follows, just out and about tests under everyday conditions, you know the way we all actually use our lenses. Not scientific tests etc by any means.

F2 version,
More compact,
Faster auto focus, (doesn't bother me though as I like to work manually).
Quieter auto focus.
Apparently better at repelling the weather/dust etc.
Tapered shape would be better for the Pro1/Pro2 because there would be less optical VF cut off.
Image quality is very good at F2 and excellent from F2.8

F1.4 version,
Larger, feels more substantial.
Slower auto focus, (doesn't bother me though as I like to work manually).
More noisy auto focus.
Looks better on the X-T1, (purely a personal thing).
Image quality is very good from F2 and excellent from F2.8.

My conclusion is that I will be going for the F1.4 as from F2/2.8 onwards it is optically equal (sharpness wise). Also to me the F1.4 just feels nicer to use and I honestly don't know why but I prefer the way it renders the images. Maybe it's something to do with fidelity I don't know but I just prefer them.(y)

George.

New to Fuji just got a Xpro1 which the little I have used it I have to say I'm very impressed. Still got my FF Nikon but I am think of getting a XT1 or XT10 in the future

One question I have and without looking trough the entire thread I thought I'd ask what's the difference between the 2?

Thanks guys, my biggest issue with the 1.4 is that compared to the newer Fuji glass (i.e. 23mm 1.4 onwards) it feels very 'grindy' and a bit slow. I love the quality and rendering, just can't quite decide whether to prioritise AF speed vs lens speed. Difficult choice given they can basically be had for the same price, I think given my subject matter the faster AF should win out.

New to Fuji just got a Xpro1 which the little I have used it I have to say I'm very impressed. Still got my FF Nikon but I am think of getting a XT1 or XT10 in the future

One question I have and without looking trough the entire thread I thought I'd ask what's the difference between the 2?

IQ both have the same sensor and essentially same firmware functionality.

X-T1 is bigger (X-T10 is tiny compared with an X-Pro1, so might not suit big hands), has bigger EVF, is weather-sealed, and just an all round brilliant thing.

As @mickledore has said in the past, buy either but you'll end up buying the X-T1 !!!

IQ both have the same sensor and essentially same firmware functionality.

X-T1 is bigger (X-T10 is tiny compared with an X-Pro1, so might not suit big hands), has bigger EVF, is weather-sealed, and just an all round brilliant thing.

As @mickledore has said in the past, buy either but you'll end up buying the X-T1 !!!

Thank you I will get saving

They do appear in the classifieds fairly often. Seems a lot of guys buy them thinking they are a direct replacement for a DSLR but lighter and cheaper.They strugle to get to grips with the mirror less concept and sell off in a short space of time. Keep your eyes open. Or the Fuji refurb shop.

Thanks will do I have watched a few on eBay I like the silver and black version but thy tend to fetch a premium

I've used the X-T1 extensively and shot with 2 for quite some time, but have no issues with my X-T10 whatsoever.

The X-T1 is clearly objectively the 'better' camera, but unless you are really pushing your kit there is remarkably little day to day difference, especially given the fairly significant price difference. I'm not sure I would want an X-T1/X-T10 two camera set up as the differences would be more apparent, but two X-T10s are absolutely fine.

Yes. The graphite version is very nice cosmetically. But it has exactly the same working bits as the dull and dreary black one.
All depends how much value you put on showing off. With what up save buying the black one you are well on the way to that next lens:D:D:D

Yes. The graphite version is very nice cosmetically. But it has exactly the same working bits as the dull and dreary black one.
All depends how much value you put on showing off. With what up save buying the black one you are well on the way to that next lens:D:D:D

If it's the cheap and tacky look you're after go for the plasticky looking graphite one. Doesn't even look like the retro SLRs from the 80s. You can't go wrong with solid black.

If it's the cheap and tacky look you're after go for the plasticky looking graphite one. Doesn't even look like the retro SLRs from the 80s. You can't go wrong with solid black.

Not seen one in person only the pictures but I when I get one it will be black no point in paying more just for looks

Anyone use the Samyang 12mm F2.0 Lens on their XT-1? Think this will be my next purchase.
Looks like great value for money; only real downside I wasnt expected was no Aperature exif data stored on images?

Not seen one in person only the pictures but I when I get one it will be black no point in paying more just for looks

Especially when it's not even a good look, you have to see it to know where I'm coming from. The black is more subtle and bless obvious in my option. Horses for courses though, apparently the black ones hold the value better.

Anyone use the Samyang 12mm F2.0 Lens on their XT-1? Think this will be my next purchase.
Looks like great value for money; only real downside I wasnt expected was no Aperature exif data stored on images?
That's because its a full manual lens with no electrical contacts so it cannot report back any settings to the camera.

Besides that though its a corker of a landscape/astro lens

That's because its a full manual lens with no electrical contacts so it cannot report back any settings to the camera.
Besides that though its a corker of a landscape/astro lens

There are some lovely shots on Flickr with it. I also like the look of the 8mm Fish Eye but think that is maybe a little to niche.

The 12mm sits nicely between the 8mm and the 14mm.
Importantly though the 12mm was designed purely as a CSC lens so it is engineered purely with CSC's in mind

All Fuji's look better in black in my opinion. I think that's what holds me back buying an original X100, can't get them unless it's the limited edition and I don't see the point of paying more for one of them!

All this talk of limited edition but no extra features reminds me of that classic opening scene from Bad Boys -

Marcus Burnett: Hey man where-where-where's your cup holder?
Mike Lowrey: I don't have one.
Marcus Burnett: What the f- w'you mean you don't have one? Eighty thousand dollars for this car and you ain't got no damn cup holder?
Mike Lowrey: It's $105,000 and this happens to be one of the fastest production cars on the planet. Zero to sixty in four seconds, sweetie. It's a limited edition.
Marcus Burnett: You damn right it's limited. No cup holder, no back seat. Just a shiny dick with two chairs in it. I guess we the balls just draggin' the f*** along.

I have the cheap and tacky graphite version but as Amazon warehouse were selling it for £599 I wasn't that bothered and could live with it!! Now Fuji confirmed the £75 cashback even better. On a serious note I've always preferred black and have just traded my black x100s for a xe2 in black but I wouldn't call the Graphite cheap and tacky.

I have the cheap and tacky graphite version but as Amazon warehouse were selling it for £599 I wasn't that bothered and could live with it!! Now Fuji confirmed the £75 cashback even better. On a serious note I've always preferred black and have just traded my black x100s for a xe2 in black but I wouldn't call the Graphite cheap and tacky.

Our X-T1s were probably sat next to each other at Amazon before Christmas :)

Our X-T1s were probably sat next to each other at Amazon before Christmas :)

I was happy with my xt10 but the weather sealed body quicker buffer and lather EVF sealed it for me along with the price which was a no brainer!!!

Last edited:
I was happy with my xt10 but the weather sealed body quicker buffer and lather EVF sealed it for me along with the price which was a no brainer!!!

Yep, the buttons on the graphite version are nicer than those on the black ones too. Minor thing really though, all the X-T1s are great! I haven't used an X-T10 yet, but owning an X-E2, I can see where you're coming from :) The ergonomics of the X-T1 are fantastic without it becoming too big and heavy.

Upgraded from my little compact to an XT1 and 18-55mm lens which I bought 1st December. I bought both items from Currys at the same time but Currys didn't have the 18-55mm lens in stock so it was delivered to my house 3 days later. I have had numerous conversations with Fuji as I was trying to claim £75 and vertical battery grip as the offer stated. Someone at Fuji finally clarified why I couldn't claim that and could only get £75 x 2. I thought I was buying an XT-1 kit by getting both items at the same time at the same place. I was wrong - a 'kit' is the body and lens in 1 box, not 2 boxes. Still getting £150 back and am very pleased with the clarity of photos and that's when I don't even know what I'm doing yet :)

Yep, the buttons on the graphite version are nicer than those on the black ones too. Minor thing really though, all the X-T1s are great! I haven't used an X-T10 yet, but owning an X-E2, I can see where you're coming from :) The ergonomics of the X-T1 are fantastic without it becoming too big and heavy.

A lot of the earlier XT1's had a dodgy 4 way keypad with very little feedback from the buttons. My new one has a very clicky 4 way pad and the buttons seem to stick out a bit more meaning they are easier to feel.

A lot of the earlier XT1's had a dodgy 4 way keypad with very little feedback from the buttons. My new one has a very clicky 4 way pad and the buttons seem to stick out a bit more meaning they are easier to feel.

My black X-T1 was made in late 2014 - the graphite one still clicks better. I was surprised!

My black X-T1 was made in late 2014 - the graphite one still clicks better. I was surprised!
My serial number starts 53, so it's a 3rd quarter 2015. Don't know when they changed the buttons, my last one was a mid 2014 with the old buttons.

I absolutely love the savings made when not buying a graphite version.....my bank account has a very classy look about it:p

I'd buy one though if it was the X-T2

How tough do you guys think the XT10 is? The XT1 is quite expensive for me at the moment...need a new car soon. Would the XT10 survive hot climate and snow?

How tough do you guys think the XT10 is? The XT1 is quite expensive for me at the moment...need a new car soon. Would the XT10 survive hot climate and snow?

I have a XT10 and I'm impressed with the build quality TBH it's my go to Fuji body unless you abuse your gear I see no reason for it not to fulfill your needs:)

Last edited:
Back