The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Ok, thanks. Figured we'd lose the dual slots. No biggie for me.

Am I right in thinking the X-T1 came some time after the X-Pro1? What were/are the main differences there?

Apols for asking basic Qs - struggling to understand the differences between the X mount line-up.

Now you tell me! :D

Here's the basics:

• You import your files (RAW or JPG) into Lightroom, essentially telling LR that they exist and you want to work on them
  • Images will appear in the Library module, but switch to develop to do any serious pp
  • Any changes you make to your pictures are recorded in the database, rather than your original files
  • When you wish to save the amended file and produce a JPG, you simply right click the image and export it as a new file with all the changes
  • In Library, you can build a set of keywords and assign them to individual pictures - later you can search all your images for these keywords
Some good tips for sharpening Fuji RAW files:

http://petebridgwood.com/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/

:rolleyes:

Ha, thanks. Nice site. But it’s like I want a *preview* of X-Pro 2 versus X-T2. :)

So there was a two-year gap between X-Pro 1 and X-T1, which meant the latter was actually higher-specced in many categories.

Looks like there will be less than a year between X-Pro 2 and X-T2. Sensor should the same, both weather-sealed, both metal? So differences along the lines of…

- No optical viewfinder
- Lower-res LCD (maybe)
- Single card slot (maybe)
- Joystick (maybe)

+ Tilting screen
+ Dedicated ISO wheel
+ Touch focus (maybe)
+ Plug-in flash unit

Am I right in thinking the X-T1 came some time after the X-Pro1? What were/are the main differences there?

Apols for asking basic Qs - struggling to understand the differences between the X mount line-up.

i recently went from Canon to Fuji (sold my 5dmk3, 1dx, 2x1dmk3 with 9 L lenses) and now own 2 x X-t1 with 9 lenses..couldnt be happier!

A couple from yesterday's TP meet deep under a Wesh mountain with a name name few can pronounce. Quite a dry trip this compared to the Yorkshire Dales trip.

There's a lake down there with a boat on it!
This was taken with the fisheye to get the whole cavern in shot.

Boat pool
by mickledore on Talk Photography

We had a moment of "indecision" on the way out.
This is Ryan wondering if he should go left or right!

Ryan lost

Just listed 18-55 and 50-230 in classifieds for now

Gents - just a quick one please... I have a 10-24 and 18-135 to use with my XT1 - would you say it is worthwhile switching off the OIS when using a tripod?

I confess I haven't been bothering but I got a comment about a landscape shot not being as sharp as it might which got me wondering...

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Oh and ps here is the pic :

The Forth Bridge
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Gents - just a quick one please... I have a 10-24 and 18-135 to use with my XT1 - would you say it is worthwhile switching off the OIS when using a tripod?

I confess I haven't been bothering but I got a comment about a landscape shot not being as sharp as it might which got me wondering...

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Mike, I switch if off (when I remember, actually these days I leave it off and switch it on when needed, as much of my output is tripod based). It definitely is visible on long exposures on the 18-55 (and I've had comments from picture viewers to that effect), but I can't say that I've really noticed it on the 18-135, but good practice says turn it off!

Last edited:
A couple from yesterday's TP meet deep under a Wesh mountain with a name name few can pronounce. Quite a dry trip this compared to the Yorkshire Dales trip.

There's a lake down there with a boat on it!
This was taken with the fisheye to get the whole cavern in shot.

Boat pool

We had a moment of "indecision" on the way out.
This is Ryan wondering if he should go left or right!

Ryan lost

Would have loved to come along on that but I don't have any caving gear or insurance so I'm automatically out.

Mike, I switch if off (when I remember, actually these days I leave it off and switch it on when needed, as much of my output is tripod based). It definitely is visible on long exposures on the 18-55 (and I've had comments from picture viewers to that effect), but I can't say that I've really noticed it on the 18-135, but good practice says turn it off!
Thanks Mr P - that's what I'll do :)

Would have loved to come along on that but I don't have any caving gear or insurance so I'm automatically out.
Automatically out? Who says?
I borrowed my gear, and it was somewhat too small. Andy went in his winter mountaineering gear with hanggliding helmet. Ryan wore cammo trousers and a fleece under Duncan's soon to be cast off spare suit. Andy didn't even have wellies, just his mountaineering boots. We were far too warm. We were not thrutching through narrow spaces. Apart from the entry and exit gates (see here:- https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/rhiwbach-caving-trip-report.621372/) we were upright all day long. Well, Ryan was upright cause he's diddy - about the same size as you. We three big buggers had to bend over, as usual. You would need a hard hat and head torch but they are easy to find.

Insurance? The three of us had none, but Duncan is a member of the official organisation (can't remember what it's called) and he could take us in as beginners. Sorted. As I mentioned elsewhere if you want to come you'll find a way.

If you'd have said at the beginning we would have taken you no quibble; would have been nice to meet up again.
I'm not sure if anything else is planned. Duncan is the caving expert and knows where and what to go into. He also has a large assortment of lights - continuous and flash - and knows how best to use them. Trouble is he lives in The Mendips.

If you are serious about having a bash then post on the above thread and ask Duncan. Don't be shy:hug:

i recently went from Canon to Fuji (sold my 5dmk3, 1dx, 2x1dmk3 with 9 L lenses) and now own 2 x X-t1 with 9 lenses..couldnt be happier!

That's a pretty serious switch over! You're professional, I assume?

I'd be surprised if Fuji released the X-T2 with a single card slot, remember the X-Pro1 only had 1 card slot too. Both bodies will be flagships aimed at different types if photographer, so I would expect a very similar feature set, perhaps with the X-T1 losing the ovf but gaining 4k video.

Did anyone here apply for a place on the Fuji workshop at Silverstone next Friday? I've not heard anything so far.

Happy as a kid in a candy shop having just acquired this fine lens on ebay!
Screenshot_2016-04-05-11-19-39.png
Now i just need to get get an M42 - FX adaptor

Thanks mate, so not to wide?

I already have the Clutch but can use one strap dual purpose as I also have a Nikon FX and heavy primes. Easier to just keep anchors on both systems.
Width is fine. It was a gift, and when I first saw it I wasn't sold on it. I imagined it rubbing and cutting into my neck like a seatbelt.
Fortunately, it's very comfortable. The width isnt too much, and length is perfect for me (just). It runs down to my hip when at full length - I'm 5'11" with a fairly big chest and wide shoulders.

I'd recommend it.

Width is fine. It was a gift, and when I first saw it I wasn't sold on it. I imagined it rubbing and cutting into my neck like a seatbelt.
Fortunately, it's very comfortable. The width isnt too much, and length is perfect for me (just). It runs down to my hip when at full length - I'm 5'11" with a fairly big chest and wide shoulders.

I'd recommend it.

The belt neck thing also concerned me a bit so good to hear.

That's a pretty serious switch over! You're professional, I assume?

i make money from my kit yes..not full time though, not yet anyway.

it was not an easy decision to make, it took me months of testing and every test was great..but something stopped me from leaping in. All the reasons stopping me were thoughts of less quality images, not pro equipment etc...Finally I realised all the specs and quality etc is totaly BS. Sure, an A7rii is a great camera, as are lots of Canon/Nikon etc, but its all just a BS spec war to convince us all to spend more money. The X-t1 is awesome, produces some of the best colours I have ever seen, its fast, built solid and I can print A3+ and they look amazing.

Since moving over I take a lot less images, and edit a whole lot less too as colours are pretty accurate ooc. When the Xt2 is released the only reason I will get a couple of them is dual card slots..everything else I am more than happy with.

Anybody using the Peak Design Slide strap?

I have a red one, a black one and now the lite.

the original black one is nice and wide but more suitable to DSLR, the red one they changed the foam in the strap and it feels odd to me but hey..its for a DSLR again. The lite is perfect! I will get another for my 2nd X-t1. You can just about get the tags to push through the strap mounting holes on the X-t1..I used strong cotton to pull them through with a bit of vaseline to lube em up ;)

Has anyone had any experience using their XT1 for shooting night skies? I've been invited to a trip to the desert for milky way stuff which sounds like good fun but I really have no idea what I'm in for. They say I need an intervalometer, which I understand the XT1 has built in?

Has anyone had any experience using their XT1 for shooting night skies? I've been invited to a trip to the desert for milky way stuff which sounds like good fun but I really have no idea what I'm in for. They say I need an intervalometer, which I understand the XT1 has built in?

@mickledore has done some of this (star trails, etc)

@mickledore has done some of this (star trails, etc)
Thanks. Just seen this and am composing a reply!

Yes, I've done some star trails. This first one was shot using the intervalometer. Set for 250 images with the minimum of delay inbetween shots. I think it's one second, but in practice the delay had no effect. Either that or Star Stax is even better at joining up trails than I thought!
Ribblehead by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

This second one was shot using continuous shooting with a locked on remote trigger. I upped the ISO to 1600 for this to try and bring out more colour in the sky.
Formby Point by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Anybody using the Peak Design Slide strap?

Yes it's a great strap like a seat belt material. I have this on my XT1 and have a cuff on my x100s. Sometimes I will switch which only takes a matter of seconds.

Safe to say it works just fine then! I'm probably more interested in the single long-exposure milky way stuff than trails atm, but flickr suggests many have had success with both.

How good a tripod do these kind of shots require? I worry my super-cheap Hama may not be up to it..

Safe to say it works just fine then! I'm probably more interested in the single long-exposure milky way stuff than trails atm, but flickr suggests many have had success with both.

How good a tripod do these kind of shots require? I worry my super-cheap Hama may not be up to it..

Single long exposures should be fine either way. Personal choice but I would use a locking remote and bulb mode.
The first was shot on a 3LT Brian. The second was shot on a Manfrotto carbon fibre jobbie. It really depends how rough the weather will be.

Back