The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Aren't the soft touch buttons just decoration? What do they add?
They raise the shutter release by a few millimeters, which can make it more comfortable to use to some people. I have one on my X-T1 and X1OOS, but don't like it on the X-Pro2 for some reason.

Aren't the soft touch buttons just decoration? What do they add?

No, some of us just prefer the difference in the finger position and the way they allow you to easily and gently depress the button. They're not essential but I've used them for decades so they're what I'm used to. I have the Gariz button on my X-T1 which you can see here. I have the same one on my X30.

They raise the shutter release by a few millimeters, which can make it more comfortable to use to some people. I have one on my X-T1 and X1OOS, but don't like it on the X-Pro2 for some reason.
think I read the shutter button on the xpro 2 was a bit wobbley(tech term) and soft touch button exaggerates the wobbleyness

Well some of the buttons are a bit small for my fingers so I made them easier to recognise without always having to look down.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

You know why the River Mersey stinks? Because all the carp from Crosby is pumped straight into it.
Don't know if this is still in use, I suspect not, but under the posts is a 24" cast iron pipe from Victorian era that really did shovel all the s*** into the sea just where the tower is. Not a long way offshore.
For those with OCD the horizon is level, it's everything else that is wrong. And the sea really was a brown colour.

Crosby s*** pipe
by mickledore on Talk Photography

You know why the River Mersey stinks? Because all the carp from Crosby is pumped straight into it.
Don't know if this is still in use, I suspect not, but under the posts is a 24" cast iron pipe from Victorian era that really did shovel all the s*** into the sea just where the tower is. Not a long way offshore.
For those with OCD the horizon is level, it's everything else that is wrong. And the sea really was a brown colour.

Crosby s*** pipe
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Like that Frank I bet it would look good in Black and White as well

Like that Frank I bet it would look good in Black and White as well
Thanks for that. I tried mono but didn't like the result. I also tried a grad on the sky but didn't like that either. I finished up leaving it like this which I quite like due to the semi washed out feel it gives. The sea was brown, not from you know what, but from all the sand churned up so this came out a bit pastel type.
5 minute exposure with 15 stops and a CPL.

Having just started to get used to my D7100, I really wish I hadn't looked at this thread!

But you'll have a better system......
It's the size that's attracting me tbh. The D7100 plus 17-50 f2.8 is pretty hefty even being a crop sensor DSLR.

The X-T1 looks far more manageable and the results look surprisingly good for being mirrorless.

I went from a 5D3 with all the lenses to the X-T1 for the same reason. There are several on here who have done just the same thing.
The weight and bulk make a noticeable difference if you are out all day long. The Fuji lenses are pretty highly regarded by those who know about these things. Even the bog standard "kit" lens, the 18-55, is a little belter.
Quality wise - how big are you going to print? A3 is no problem. How much bigger than that do you need? If you are only looking on a monitor/phone/tablet you will have no problems.
Pity you are in Glasgow (Rangers or Celtic?), but @stupar lives in Edinburgh. How close is that?

It's the size that's attracting me tbh. The D7100 plus 17-50 f2.8 is pretty hefty even being a crop sensor DSLR.

The X-T1 looks far more manageable and the results look surprisingly good for being mirrorless.

I don't think being mirrorless necessarily affects the quality either way and no more than the camera being a rangefinder o DSLR affects the image quality as all you're doing is using different form factors and / or changing how you view the scene.

What affects the image quality is the sensor, in camera tech and the lens. The Fuji system is APS-C and has some quality lenses just like your Nikon does and I'd be surprised if there was a vast difference in the image quality you can get from any of the APS-C bodies coupled to a comparable lens.

Last edited:
I don't think being mirrorless necessarily affects the quality either way and no more than the camera being a rangefinder o DSLR affects the image quality as all you're doing is using different form factors and / or changing how you view the scene.

What affects the image quality is the sensor, in camera tech and the lens. The Fuji system is APS-C and has some quality lenses just like your Nikon does and I'd be surprised if there was a vast difference in the image quality you can get from any of the APS-C bodies couples to a comparable lens.

Quite, and to be honest it was a very generic statement.

If the sensor and AF are up to it I could well be tempted. Fuji appear to be doing cash back too just now.

I went from a 5D3 with all the lenses to the X-T1 for the same reason. There are several on here who have done just the same thing.
The weight and bulk make a noticeable difference if you are out all day long. The Fuji lenses are pretty highly regarded by those who know about these things. Even the bog standard "kit" lens, the 18-55, is a little belter.
Quality wise - how big are you going to print? A3 is no problem. How much bigger than that do you need? If you are only looking on a monitor/phone/tablet you will have no problems.
Pity you are in Glasgow (Rangers or Celtic?), but @stupar lives in Edinburgh. How close is that?
Good to know, and my prints would certainly be no larger than A3!

Quite, and to be honest it was a very generic statement.

If the sensor and AF are up to it I could well be tempted. Fuji appear to be doing cash back too just now.

A generic statement and mindset I just don't understand. Think about it for more than a nano second and you should reject any thought that "mirrorless" necessarily gives inferior image quality to DSLR's. They're just different forms and ways of viewing the scene and DSLR's have no inherent image quality advantage because they use OVF's and flappy mirrors and mirrorless cameras don't.

I have A3 prints from my old 8mp APS-C 20D. Modern cameras will do even better. It's not a worry IMO.

PS. Depends what you mean by if the AF is up to it. Mirrorless cameras do tend to have more accurate focus system than DSLR's due to the way the focus... off the chip rather than off another device buried in the bowels of the camera, so the AF questions are maybe over speed and tracking.

Last edited:
A generic statement and mindset I just don't understand. Think about it for more than a nano second and you should reject any thought that "mirrorless" necessarily gives inferior image quality to DSLR's. They're just different forms and ways of viewing the scene and DSLR's have no inherent image quality advantage because they use OVF's and flappy mirrors and mirrorless cameras don't.
No need to be defensive. I've done very little research into them because the image they've had in the past is that they're largely inferior to their DSLR counterparts.

I wouldn't be here if I wasn't looking to find out otherwise and potentially make the switch and as far as I can tell, it's not uncommon to do so and quality wise they're pretty damn good (certainly good enough for me) in terms of daily use and final output.

I'm more than happy to be convinced that this system will do everything I want and no doubt more.

Get hold of an X-T1. Have a look at the EVF. You'll struggle to get the same out of a mirrored system.
I was out shooting with 15 stops and a CPL this morning. I could still see the scene before pressing the button. Your Nikon won't do that.

Get hold of an X-T1. Have a look at the EVF. You'll struggle to get the same out of a mirrored system.
I was out shooting with 15 stops and a CPL this morning. I could still see the scene before pressing the button. Your Nikon won't do that.
See, now that's the kinda thing I'm looking to find out.

No need to be defensive. I've done very little research into them because the image they've had in the past is that they're largely inferior to their DSLR counterparts.

I'm not being defensive. I'm not even a Fuji owner :D

I'm just attempting to provide basic information and correct a view held by some less well informed DSLR users.

I'm not being defensive. I'm not even a Fuji owner :D

I'm just attempting to provide basic information and correct a view held by some less well informed DSLR users.
It's more than welcome. As I say, I'm looking for the positives and so far, mirrorless is looking very favourable.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that so and so landscape photographer and so and so wedding photographer are all using the X-T1. They are but no doubt being paid to do so.

There are those on here who just shoot JPEG and they get excellent results. I think @Alan Clogwyn does so. Look for his posts. His shots are good.

From what I've found the only real drawback on this is the AF speed. The latest firmware update has helped enormously so unless you are trying to get a kingfisher in flight or pan Sebastian Vettel on the main straight at Silverstone then you won't have any problems.

I bought mine as a second camera for days when I was out with SWMBO and not allowed to take my full kit. I soon found that I had given up with the 5D3 so sold it. Would I go back? No, not at all.

And besides, the guys on this thread are nice to me!!!!

It's more than welcome. As I say, I'm looking for the positives and so far, mirrorless is looking very favourable.

IMO the main things to consider are the AF abilities (I don't use tracking and I don't need lightening speed so mirrorless and it's highly accurate if less speedy than the very fastest DSLR's focusing is adequate for me,) bulk, weight and the EVF v OVF question.

I jumped to mirrorless for the smaller form factor and now also greatly appreciate the benefits of the EVF system with its in view aids and WYSIWYG. I also value the ability to use and focus easily and accurately with old manual lenses.

I went mirrorless years ago and I wouldn't go back to DSLR's. My keeper rate has never been higher and I no longer need to guess what the final image will look like and chimp quite so often :D

It's a different way of shooting and it may not be for everyone, the kit can be on the expensive side when compared to DSLR's too.

@Ian W
If you ever find yourself in Edinburgh you are welcome to try the XT1 out. Always good before you drop the cash on one.

IMO the main things to consider are the AF abilities (I don't use tracking and I don't need lightening speed so mirrorless and it's highly accurate if less speedy than the very fastest DSLR's focusing is adequate for me,) bulk, weight and the EVF v OVF question.

I jumped to mirrorless for the smaller form factor and now also greatly appreciate the benefits of the EVF system with its in view aids and WYSIWYG. I also value the ability to use and focus easily and accurately with old manual lenses.

I went mirrorless years ago and I wouldn't go back to DSLR's. My keeper rate has never been higher and I no longer need to guess what the final image will look like and chimp quite so often :D

It's a different way of shooting and it may not be for everyone, the kit can be on the expensive side when compared to DSLR's too.
I like the sound more and more tbh. The fastest thing I photograph is my son! Other than him, I mainly shoot landscapes I guess so not a problem there either.

I've only had the D7100 since Christmas and lenses even less than that. Hmmmmm.

So..who has seen the leaked images of the x-t2?

Thoughts?

Where has the focus assist button gone! I'm hoping its on the joystick when clicked in.

I like the sound more and more tbh. The fastest thing I photograph is my son! Other than him, I mainly shoot landscapes I guess so not a problem there either.

I've only had the D7100 since Christmas and lenses even less than that. Hmmmmm.

I'd describe myself as a deliberate shooter :D I see something I want to photograph and I frame and adjust the exposure, focus and shoot. I usually take my time and I always have my cameras on single shot and never machine gun although in challenging conditions I do often take two shots instead of relying on just one.

Just to tempt you still further...

I use to have a 5D and I did a lot of side by side shooting and comparing with my fist generation micro four thirds Panasonic G1 and I found that despite the 5D's advantages of a bigger sensor and greater dynamic range in challenging conditions I could get a useable first time shot more often with the G1 because of the in view aids. With the 5D I'd probably have to shoot and check the results and possibly reshoot. Mirrorless can cut down on that because what you see is what you get and I just love the in view histogram, DoF preview and magnified view.

These days MFT, APS-C and FF mirrorless cameras offer top end image quality and IMO they're well worth a look.

Last edited:
Cheers for the offer. It's much appreciated and am there now and again actually.

May well be in touch ;)

Ian, I swapped over from a Nikon D300s after shooting Nikon for a couple of decades. My X-T1 delivers all the quality and then some, no worries there. The Fuji colours and general image rendition are why I was eventually convinced to swap over, having used an X100 for a while. You won't regret the move based on image quality and nothing else has irked me except getting used to a new range of lenses.

Back