The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

@Mr Perceptive The B+W photo is my pic of the two, nice detail in the buildings brickwork.

How did you get on with the Firecrest 10 stop is it pretty neutral ?
I have a Hitech pro stop 10 stopper but it is pretty pants with a nasty colour cast too it.
So i have been tempted to splash out on the Firecrest but don`t think i need more than a 10 stopper

@Mr Perceptive The B+W photo is my pic of the two, nice detail in the buildings brickwork.

How did you get on with the Firecrest 10 stop is it pretty neutral ?
I have a Hitech pro stop 10 stopper but it is pretty pants with a nasty colour cast too it.
So i have been tempted to splash out on the Firecrest but don`t think i need more than a 10 stopper

The Firecrest Stoppers are the most neutral that I've tried, even the 16 stopper is neutral. No adjustment to Colour Temperature or Tint in image below with 16 stopper

[
url=https://flic.kr/p/DEo3Mu]Long Exposure Week 9 - Steam Mill Chester[/url] by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

After a while out of the Fuji game, my X-T10 arrived this morning. Only had a chance to have a quick play but it really is small; I have the kit 16-50mm MkII lens and it feels very front heavy!

What are the opinions on this lens? I've never been a fan of zooms and was half tempted to go body only and pick up a prime but decided to try it in the end.

Also, on the X100 I'm pretty sure there was a quiet mode where flash was disabled, all noises were disabled, etc. I can't seem to find a way to do that, in fact the flash is locked at auto and I'm also getting the AF illuminator. Am I just being stupid?

Edit - Oops, my mistake. I was misreading the "Sound and flash off" setting as "Sound and flash" and set to off!

I had an XT10 and have just receives another as a backup to my xt1. I had the original 16-50 which was a decent lens and I found fine balancing on the XT10. I then urn hashed an 18-55 which is an excellent lens but I found it top heavy on the XT10 so sold it straight away. I would go primes maybe the 18mm and 35mm to start off with. I've got the 35mm f2 on the XT10 now and it's a good all round combination.

I you're still looking for af illuminator its n the first menu autofocus setting then into the second page.

I had an XT10 and have just receives another as a backup to my xt1. I had the original 16-50 which was a decent lens and I found fine balancing on the XT10. I then urn hashed an 18-55 which is an excellent lens but I found it top heavy on the XT10 so sold it straight away. I would go primes maybe the 18mm and 35mm to start off with. I've got the 35mm f2 on the XT10 now and it's a good all round combination.

I you're still looking for af illuminator its n the first menu autofocus setting then into the second page.

I think this is a very valid opinion, but on the other hand I love my 18-55 (on my X-T10) and have no issues with the handling whatever...YMMV :) (Edit, maybe because I have the L-bracket attached full time, which I find quite some improvement)

Last edited:
I think this is a very valid opinion, but on the other hand I love my 18-55 (on my X-T10) and have no issues with the handling whatever...YMMV :) (Edit, maybe because I have the L-bracket attached full time, which I find quite some improvement)
Did you get the official one or third party? Thinking about one myself, need a bit more grip...

Did you get the official one or third party? Thinking about one myself, need a bit more grip...

Sorry, good point. It was an eBay Chinese job. My vendor doesn't seem to have any right now, but there will be others, no doubt. It was £23 delivered, which seemed a very good price, and was a good fit. It's the part that sticks forward to make the grip bigger that really helps me. Some people have done mods to make it grippier, but I've experienced no problems so far.

Hi guys,

I currently use a Fuji XE-2, with the updated firmware. Does anyone own both the XE-2 and X-T10? How does it compare?

How does the X-T1 compare to the old X-E2 with the new firmware? Or would it not be worth the upgrade at this point in time?

Hi guys,

I currently use a Fuji XE-2, with the updated firmware. Does anyone own both the XE-2 and X-T10? How does it compare?

How does the X-T1 compare to the old X-E2 with the new firmware? Or would it not be worth the upgrade at this point in time?

I have X-E2 latest firmware and X-T1, in terms of base functionality the cameras are pretty similar, and IQ output is the same, however the EVF on the X-T1 is much better than the X-E2 and IMO worth the additional costs alone.

Yes there are some physical differences, form factor, inbuilt flash, tilting screen etc.

I would see X-E2 latest FW to X-T10 as a sideways move, but if you wanted a smaller body then the X-T10 would be an option.

I suspect that for most people X-E2 to X-T1 is an upgrade, how much you value the upgrade is based on how much you value the differences. In terms of whether now is a good time, I'd say if you have the money and want the change, then go for it, though I suspect that X-T1's may drop further in price when (if) an X-T2 is announced.

I have X-E2 latest firmware and X-T1, in terms of base functionality the cameras are pretty similar, and IQ output is the same, however the EVF on the X-T1 is much better than the X-E2 and IMO worth the additional costs alone.

Yes there are some physical differences, form factor, inbuilt flash, tilting screen etc.

I would see X-E2 latest FW to X-T10 as a sideways move, but if you wanted a smaller body then the X-T10 would be an option.

I suspect that for most people X-E2 to X-T1 is an upgrade, how much you value the upgrade is based on how much you value the differences. In terms of whether now is a good time, I'd say if you have the money and want the change, then go for it, though I suspect that X-T1's may drop further in price when (if) an X-T2 is announced.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :) You probably also noticed my posts in the X-E2 thread.

I currently use 2 X-E2's, a silver and a black. One with the 23 attached, the other with the 56.

My thoughts at the moment is:

- Selling all, then getting either X-T10/X-T1 with the 18-55 and one of the 35 primes.

- Keeping the bodies, sell the lenses and getting the 18-55 and one of the 35 primes.

I have to say, I've fallen out of love with the 18-55mm. The aperture ring is just too easily nudged when zooming and I'm fed up of loading photos into Lightroom to find that, instead of f4, I've shot at f13!

I know I can see in the viewfinder what aperture it's on but I'm very much a fan of making my settings and shooting without having to check everything again.

I usually have the 27mm on the X-T1, which I'm very happy with, but I sometimes want something a bit wider so I'm wondering how good the 18mm f2 is and whether I could get one 2nd hand for roughly what I'd get for the 18-55mm.

I have to say, I've fallen out of love with the 18-55mm. The aperture ring is just too easily nudged when zooming and I'm fed up of loading photos into Lightroom to find that, instead of f4, I've shot at f13!

I know I can see in the viewfinder what aperture it's on but I'm very much a fan of making my settings and shooting without having to check everything again.

I usually have the 27mm on the X-T1, which I'm very happy with, but I sometimes want something a bit wider so I'm wondering how good the 18mm f2 is and whether I could get one 2nd hand for roughly what I'd get for the 18-55mm.

Maybe worth keeping your eyes open for another copy of the 18-55? Mine is certainly not loose enough to accidentally turn the aperture ring, but my 14mm is. As for the 27mm, I believe almost everything else is better than that lens! I'm not sure about current prices, but when I last looked you could have had an 18mm and change from selling an 18-55.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :) You probably also noticed my posts in the X-E2 thread.

I currently use 2 X-E2's, a silver and a black. One with the 23 attached, the other with the 56.

My thoughts at the moment is:

- Selling all, then getting either X-T10/X-T1 with the 18-55 and one of the 35 primes.

- Keeping the bodies, sell the lenses and getting the 18-55 and one of the 35 primes.

As I've said before, you have two of the best (if not the best primes), the only reason to sell them would be that you don't like the focal length, but since you are considering an 18-55 then they are in the right ballpark. So my recommendation:-

Option 3 : Just buy one of the 35mm's

Maybe worth keeping your eyes open for another copy of the 18-55? Mine is certainly not loose enough to accidentally turn the aperture ring, but my 14mm is.

Unfortunately, I have problems with my hands which exacerbate the problem so I think I'd have this issue with any copy of the lens.

As for the 27mm, I believe almost everything else is better than that lens!

What is the problem with the 27mm?

I'm not sure about current prices, but when I last looked you could have had an 18mm and change from selling an 18-55.

Good to know, thanks

Unfortunately, I have problems with my hands which exacerbate the problem so I think I'd have this issue with any copy of the lens.

What is the problem with the 27mm?

Good to know, thanks

Nothing, it's just the weakest of the primes. Doesn't make it bad, just makes the other better!

Nothing, it's just the weakest of the primes. Doesn't make it bad, just makes the other better!

No, that's fine. I'm just curious as to what makes it the weakest. Is it the smaller maximum aperture or do you mean image quality? Is the 18mm better?

It's a genuine question as I haven't used any other Fuji primes.

I started a wanted thread yesterday for another 18mm f2. My reasons for wanting another one is purely down to it's small size and weight. I've got a trip lined up and my plan is to have the 18,27 & 35 with me, Realistically the 18-55 would probably be the one lens to take but I just really don't like shooting with zooms, think they make me too lazy when considering composition.

My first 18mm I owned at the same time as the 18-55 and when I took set up test shots using both lenses the 18-55 was the clear winner for sharpness across the frame even when the 18mm was stopped down to match the zoom. Centre sharpness was slightly better on the 18mm at wider apertures. I've never taken test shots with the 27 and 18-55 to compare those two but from the limited times I've used the 27 I've probably been happier with it than the 18.

I started a wanted thread yesterday for another 18mm f2. My reasons for wanting another one is purely down to it's small size and weight. I've got a trip lined up and my plan is to have the 18,27 & 35 with me, Realistically the 18-55 would probably be the one lens to take but I just really don't like shooting with zooms, think they make me too lazy when considering composition.

My first 18mm I owned at the same time as the 18-55 and when I took set up test shots using both lenses the 18-55 was the clear winner for sharpness across the frame even when the 18mm was stopped down to match the zoom. Centre sharpness was slightly better on the 18mm at wider apertures. I've never taken test shots with the 27 and 18-55 to compare those two but from the limited times I've used the 27 I've probably been happier with it than the 18.

Thanks Colin, that's interesting.

isnt the problem to do with importing the files into Lightroom in the first place? I thought if you import them Adobe has already done some jiggery pokery therefore buggered the files before you even start

Quite possibly. It's a good idea to create an import preset which has sharpening turned off, Camera calibration set to 2010. And Black point set to 2. Under lens correction check Remove Chromatic Abberation. I also have camera profile set to neutral.
Do this by choosing an unedited shot in Develop, make the changes and save as a user preset.
You can then call it up as an import preset.

Yup, I took this same advice in another thread. The grip transforms handling IMO. For around £12 delivered via eBay it's been my best Fuji buy to date!

Just got delivery for a Op/Tech USA sling strap and a soft touch button for my X-T10 absolutely worth it.

Aren't the soft touch buttons just decoration? What do they add?

Back