The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Can't see the problem gents. I've got 3 Nikons and 5 Fujis all Black or Black/Silver. If she ever questions me "Is that another camera?" my reply is "No I've had this for years,don't you remember, you got it for my birthday" or I start explaining about a new lens (funnily enough, she thinks lenses are the cheap bit of photography:banana:) and send her into a coma.:runaway:

Oh and forgot to add she has a Masters degree in engineering.:D

Nicely done :)

I'm actually considering flogging my Canon 300/4L and buying a 1.4x TC for my Fuji 55-200. I love the Canon gear but can't be bothered to log it about anymore :(

Anyone here tried the 55-200 with the TC?

The tc only works with the 50-140 and 100-400mm.

If anyone is looking for an X-T1 or 18-55 in "as new" condition with some serious extras, I have one for sale right now in the FS forum. ;)

How come your selling pal [emoji6]

On our recent holiday, I kept the 18-135 on the X-Pro1 and the 100-400 (with the 1.4x telecon) on the x-t1. Planning on the same kit in September but will be swapping the long lens for the 10-24 for a try at the Milky Way.

How come your selling pal [emoji6]

I'm running two companies, mate and these are difficult times. I'm investing everything back into the companies but I promised my wife and son a holiday this year. I'll not get time to use my equipment for the next 6 months so just to make sure my promise is kept, these are getting sold and the funds ring-fenced. I'll pick up another in the Winter, hopefully, when things are beginning to stabilise again.

And all that Jazz!

Eric Marienthal - Fuji X-T1 and 90mm F2 at ISO2000.

i-9wK6nd9.jpg

I'm not a frequent poster on here, but would welcome opinions please folks. I bought a used X-T1 last year to try, before selling my trusty EOS5 Mk2 and fell in love with it. With all of the Canon gear sold, I purchased three further lenses to go with the 'standard' XF 18-55mm that came with the camera and a battery grip. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no regrets about moving away from the f/f system and have enjoyed using the Fuji immensely to the point where I have now put a deposit on an X-T2 (and grip) and am excitedly waiting for it's release and arrival.

The question is, do I upgrade the 'standard' lens and buy an XF 16-55 f2.8, which I know is optically superb but is pricey and lacks OIS. Will I notice a massive difference in quality, or is the difference not worth the financial investment? I could otherwise use some cash to acquire a couple of Lee filters and holder. I am most interested in landscapes.

I should point out that although I could be the victim of GAS if finances allowed, generally I have to be more careful with the finances. However having recently arrived at a milestone age, I have cashed in a 'small' pension, so currently have some funds to scratch an itch, hence the X-T2.

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

My honest opinion, which no doubt will be flamed, is that though the 16-55 is a very fine lens, it isn't worth the extra over the 18-55 in most situations. I bought one but sent it back. Examine the exif of your best landscape shots then buy a prime to the nearest focal length.

My honest opinion, which no doubt will be flamed, is that though the 16-55 is a very fine lens, it isn't worth the extra over the 18-55 in most situations. I bought one but sent it back. Examine the exif of your best landscape shots then buy a prime to the nearest focal length.
Don't see why it would be flamed! Perfectly sensible and unless you really need 16mm vs 18mm or one stop of light at the long end then sharpness wise the 18-55 is so good you would hardly notice a difference. However your back would almost certainly notice the weight penalty...

Personally I think Fuji is perfect with primes though :D

I've personally found the 16-55 to be an excellent performer and not really noticed that lack of OIS but then I tend to do a lot of tripod shooting, I prefer the extra width at 16mm as well though but on the whole its very close to the primes, that said I do find the output from the 16mm to be magic and the 16-55 can't match that.
I have however just sold mine (again) as I feel the X-Pro 2 body form is much better suited to primes and with a 16/23/56 setup I've covered off most bases, just need something longer (90 or maybe a working 50-140)...

Chalk up another post-16-55 user here. It's fine, not outstanding, probably better than the 18-55 but not noticeably so. In the end it's an expensive lens that I didn't personally use enough to justify owning when I had my favourite prime lengths in the same range. It's also a bit too heavy on the rangefinder bodies imo. People talk about wanting version 2 of the 35mm f/1.4 or 60mm macro but I think they really need to have another run at the fast zoom first.

It's not just the weight/size of the 16-55, it's the ergonomics that are changed too. I like the smaller, lighter Fuji lenses. Would be best to test one out before buying.

I'm not a frequent poster on here, but would welcome opinions please folks. I bought a used X-T1 last year to try, before selling my trusty EOS5 Mk2 and fell in love with it. With all of the Canon gear sold, I purchased three further lenses to go with the 'standard' XF 18-55mm that came with the camera and a battery grip. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no regrets about moving away from the f/f system and have enjoyed using the Fuji immensely to the point where I have now put a deposit on an X-T2 (and grip) and am excitedly waiting for it's release and arrival.

The question is, do I upgrade the 'standard' lens and buy an XF 16-55 f2.8, which I know is optically superb but is pricey and lacks OIS. Will I notice a massive difference in quality, or is the difference not worth the financial investment? I could otherwise use some cash to acquire a couple of Lee filters and holder. I am most interested in landscapes.

I should point out that although I could be the victim of GAS if finances allowed, generally I have to be more careful with the finances. However having recently arrived at a milestone age, I have cashed in a 'small' pension, so currently have some funds to scratch an itch, hence the X-T2.

Your thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks for your thoughts. I must confess that I had almost decided to try the 16-55, but on reflection the gain is perhaps not worth the cost and for what I would need to pay over what the 18-55mm is worth to sell, I would be well on the way to the price of either the 14mm or 16mm prime. I already have the 10-24mm XF, so it would mean a duplication of focal length, but the performance would clearly be much better.

Now, come on Fuji - I want my X-T2!!

With regret folks, my X-T1 system is sold. :( It's been a fun journey and I've really appreciated all who've contributed to this thread. I'll return to photography in the fall, I suspect but will probably try full frame, something I've not experienced yet. I'm thinking a D700 or the likes as size isn't a problem in a studio environment. Still got my trusted X30 so that'll give me a good excuse to pop in from time to time and chat to you guys. :ty:

Last edited:
With regret folks, my X-T1 system is sold. :( It's been a fun journey and I've really appreciated all who've contributed to this thread. I'll return to photography in the fall, I suspect but will probably try full frame, something I've not experienced yet. I'm thinking a D700 or the likes as size isn't a problem in a studio environment. Still got my trusted X30 so that'll give me a good excuse to pop in from time to time and chat to you guys. :ty:
Fare thee well! Your family is lucky to have you, not sure I could do the same! (Though I may have to soon...)
Enjoy the family time :)

As said probably only WR and maybe size, a lot of folk suggest the older 35 is from an IQ point of view still better than the new one.

Those two points are exactly why I'm considering the f2. I love my f1.4 but would very much like the smaller+WR option for when I'm travelling. I have a trip to Japan coming up. Tempted to grab the f2 and see if I find myself missing the 1.4 over the course of that trip.

Back