The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi all,
After a bit of advice,
considering a move to the Fuji XT-2 but not sure on lenses, are there any to avoid in terms of IQ/build?
I'm coming from the Sony A7RII with some stellar glass, the Sony Zeiss 55mm, Zeiss Batis 25 & 85mm and the Sony 70-200mm so want the best possible.

Am I correct in thinking the following would be a ideal collection to replace my existing setup? Will look into macro and long telephoto lenses in the future....

Fuji 35mm f2.0 WR
Fuji 56mm f1.2 R APD
Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 R LM WR
Fuji 50-140mm f2.8 WR OIS

Does Fuji have anything like Sony's Continuous Eye Focus?

What about the artificial Fuji ISO values that's been talked about on the Internet along with mushy details due to the x-trans sensor arrangement?

Last edited:
Hi all,
After a bit of advice,
considering a move to the Fuji XT-2 but not sure on lenses, are there any to avoid in terms of IQ/build?
I'm coming from the Sony A7RII with some stellar glass, the Sony Zeiss 55mm, Zeiss Batis 25 & 85mm and the Sony 70-200mm so want the best possible.

Am I correct in thinking the following would be a ideal collection to replace my existing setup? Will look into macro and long telephoto lenses in the future....

Fuji 35mm f2.0 WR
Fuji 56mm f1.2 R APD

What about the artificial Fuji ISO values that's been talked about on the Internet along with mushy details due to the x-trans sensor arrangement?
Looks like the best of the fuji glass there, I have no idea how it compares to Sony though.
No idea what continuous eye focus is.

As for the mushyness, it's not so much mushy, it's different to sharpen. If you apply normal sharpening techniques you'l get a slight oil-painting effect, there are several good guides to sharpening x-trans files.

That said, if you're a pixel peeper, fuji may not be the way to go for you. IQ is good, but not class-leading (Sony).
What you do get however is a very mature menu system, amazing ergonomics and handling, and fantastic colour and tone rendition. Oh, and the best jpgs SOOC. ;)

As for the mushyness, it's not so much mushy, it's different to sharpen. If you apply normal sharpening techniques you'l get a slight oil-painting effect, there are several good guides to sharpening x-trans files.

You know, I've never paid any attention to this up to now, though I only apply a little sharpening in LR.

Would it be worth approaching sharpening in LR differently for Fuji?

Hi all,
After a bit of advice,

Fuji 35mm f2.0 WR
Fuji 56mm f1.2 R APD

You know what, if I didn't know any better I'd think this was a troll post ;)

Hi all,
After a bit of advice,

Fuji 35mm f2.0 WR
Fuji 56mm f1.2 R APD

I'd be tempted to skip the 16-55 and pickup a 16, 35 and 56 that would basically emulate your Sony line-up along with the Fuji 50-140.
Personally I think the artificial ISO stuff is b*****ks, I find my X-Pro 2 perfectly usable up to ISO 6400, XT2 will be the same.

Even since I've had my X-Pro 2 (since April) Lightroom has improved its RAW processing for Fuji but personally I use Irident Developer which does a tremendous job, I also think the jump from 16mp to 24mp has helped, in a few shots this last week I've found it very hard to tell the difference between the X-Pro 2 and almost identical shots taken with a D800 last year.

Why the move from the A7rii?

I'd be tempted to skip the 16-55 and pickup a 16, 35 and 56 that would basically emulate your Sony line-up along with the Fuji 50-140.
Personally I think the artificial ISO stuff is b*****ks, I find my X-Pro 2 perfectly usable up to ISO 6400, XT2 will be the same.

Even since I've had my X-Pro 2 (since April) Lightroom has improved its RAW processing for Fuji but personally I use Irident Developer which does a tremendous job, I also think the jump from 16mp to 24mp has helped, in a few shots this last week I've found it very hard to tell the difference between the X-Pro 2 and almost identical shots taken with a D800 last year.

Why the move from the A7rii?

Cheers for the advice..... well my main profession is in IT and the plan was to transition into full time photography whilst doing local IT work.
Unfortunately the local IT work has dried up meaning I'm having to look further afield..... greater commuting times means less time for photography.
I've got way too much £££ sat in Sony gear and with the incoming Sony price rises I may lose very little or nothing to move to Fuji.

No doubt I may miss the FF IQ, Eye-AF, Zeiss glass etc.

Hi all,
After a bit of advice,

Fuji 35mm f2.0 WR
Fuji 56mm f1.2 R APD

I came from the original A7R, which I ended up loathing. The Sony is arguably sharper, and at that kind of pixel count you'd certainly be expecting it to be able to resolve more detail. ISO performance from Fuji is considerably better I found, the Sony was a mess at similar high ISO. (If they haven't fixed that for the mk2 they need a boot up the backside!).

Mushyness can be an issue with fine details, especially if you want to use Adobe products for RAW processing, Fuji's own JPEG engine however is far better at handling them, but does tend to overdo the noise reduction and sharpening so you may end up with a no win situation for the ultimate fine details rendition, at the end of the day though these are details that aren't even vaguely noticeable in prints.

Cheers for the advice..... well my main profession is in IT and the plan was to transition into full time photography whilst doing local IT work.
Unfortunately the local IT work has dried up meaning I'm having to look further afield..... greater commuting times means less time for photography.
I've got way too much £££ sat in Sony gear and with the incoming Sony price rises I may lose very little or nothing to move to Fuji.

No doubt I may miss the FF IQ, Eye-AF, Zeiss glass etc.

Fuji glass is SUPERB. The Sony A7rii sensor is better though.

Last edited:
Well my Samyang Fisheye arrived, and has already been boxed up for return - what a crock! Something majorly wrong inside as it can't focus beyond a foot or two without everything looking like it's melted, infinity was nowhere to be found not even at F16. It actually performed better in infra red which is contrary to normal lens performance!

Replacement should hopefully be here soon though thanks to Amazon.

Any thoughts on the Zeiss lenses for the Fuji X-Mount?

As Twist says the Fuji ones are probably better, I wouldn't buy the Zeiss 32mm over a cheaper Fuji 35/2 or 35/1.4, also the Zeiss 12mm is a hard sell v the excellent Samyang 12mm.

Quick and dirty test of the 100-400 and 2x teleconverter on my X-T1 HERE. Me like!

Hi all,
After a bit of advice,

Fuji 35mm f2.0 WR
Fuji 56mm f1.2 R APD

Firstly, the ISO values are around 1/3-2/3 of a stop different to a Sony or Canon camera (I know as I tested an a7, 6D and x-e1 together). The Fuji files push easily though so you can easily make the difference up afterwards (dp review push their files when doing comparisons to take account of this).

As for high ISO, the older X trans and X trans ii cameras lose detail at ISO 3200 onwards. This appears to be due to baked in noise management. The x-pro 2 and x-t2 have a setting to switch this off which makes the images noticeabily more detailed. This is more of a pixel peeper's issue tbh.

Fuji files need a different sort of sharpening to Bayer cameras - there are plenty of guides around to help you.

The lenses are all amazing. Focus speed is a concern on the earlier lenses I.e. 18/2, 35/1.4, 60/2.4 and the 56/1.2 isn't the quickest due to its heavy glass elements. The rest are more than quick enough though and the zooms are particularly snappy.

I've not noticed shutter shock (the original a7r was terrible for this...drove me nuts!) and Fuji handling is sublime.

I'm about to shift on my entire Canon lineup as I simply don't use it anymore. Pixel level iq is better on the full framer, but the Fooj is much nicer to use

Couple of very nice shots Richard, with the second image being right on the money in my book.(y)

George.

So due to a cock up by an eBay seller, I have a spare grip, which is labeled "x-t10" (printed, not etched).
It was too big and clearly NOT for an x-t10. I suspect it's for an x-t1. I measured inside the "lip" where the Base of the camera should fit -

Length - 129mm
Depth - 32mm (behind the grip, not the screen)

Can anyone confirm that fits an x-t1?
If anyone wants it just chuck me £5 to cover postage.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578bcfc3b238a/DSC_0059-01.jpeg

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/578bcfd96b9c7/DSC_0060-01.jpeg

Quick update - it fitted perfectly! Thank you :)

Instagram and the like are only web pages at 72ppi, so you can crop to your hearts content.

Hum didnt know that. But obviously i want enought mpx in case i want to print. Im doing a project and im going to print some of the photos
I can only speak for myself but I cropped with a 12mp D700 so have no trouble with my x-t1.
X-t10 should be the same.

Hum nice! think im going for the xt10, cheap and very good. Just waitting to see if the xt 1 drops more in price.

image.jpeg
Hum didnt know that. But obviously i want enought mpx in case i want to print. Im doing a project and im going to print some of the photos

Hum nice! think im going for the xt10, cheap and very good. Just waitting to see if the xt 1 drops more in price.

I picked up a lovely 2nd hand X-t10 yesterday from the classifieds. Really impressed with it. It's everything I wanted the a6000 to be. Small, well built, good controlls, great evf and looks cool in black.

Couple of test shots in the garden

Last edited:
View attachment 69534

I picked up a lovely 2nd hand X-t10 yesterday from the classifieds. Really impressed with it. It's everything I wanted the a6000 to be. Small, well built, good controlls, great evf and looks cool in black.

Couple of test shots in the garden
Interesting..Because I was curious about the a6000 since one of my friends has it and he recommended it to me.

but i think i prefer the aesthetics and fujinon lenses ...the sony dispite having better specs, doesnt provide you with good experience shooting.

I think im going to do the same as you. Buy an XT 10
Just out of curiosity, did you get the silver one? and what lenses are you shooting with ?

Hum didnt know that. But obviously i want enought mpx in case i want to print. Im doing a project and im going to print some of the photos.

How big are you likely to want to print? The oft quoted best resolution required for printing is 300 ?pi (dots or pixels - either unit will do!) so if you take the X-T1's full image of 4896px x 3264px, you can get prints measuring 16.32" x 10.88". In the real world, A3+ prints (19" x 13" IIRC) are excellent, so there's plenty of scope for cropping if smaller prints are required and a certain amount of gentle cropping will still give perfectly acceptable A3+ prints.

I've done cropped 16x20 prints for exhibitions from a 5mb Olympus with no problems. The larger the print the further away you view it. In practice (not theory ) 150ppi is adequate.

Interesting..Because I was curious about the a6000 since one of my friends has it and he recommended it to me.

but i think i prefer the aesthetics and fujinon lenses ...the sony dispite having better specs, doesnt provide you with good experience shooting.

Just out of curiosity, did you get the silver one? and what lenses are you shooting with ?

The a6000 only has one dial. To me it looks and feels a bit like a toy. The evf is woeful to. Imo of course.
It's a very good camera, but I hated shooting with it. I wanted to like it but never did.

The xt10 evf is better, has front and rear dials, and feels much more solid. I got the black one as thought the silver looks a little cheaper. It's not like the graphite silver t1. I've only tried it with the 56mm and 35mm but today I've taken it to work with me with the 27mm on.

That's exactly it for me - I had a Sony NEX 6 and no doubt it took good images but it felt like I was using a computer not a camera !

If an X-T1 owner is allowed to answer...

Shoulder strap. Usually a Tamrac neoprene one with pouches for spare batteries but I'm currently trying it with an Optech sling type strap with one clip on the body and the other clipped around the foot of the 100-400. IMO most interchangeable lens cameras are too heavy to rely on a single dangle fixing and the 100-400 is even more so!

I just cannot get on with wrist straps, partly because I need at least three hands to cope with an active Jack Russell, a walking pole, and two hands to support the camera when taking photos.

A couple of points:-

1) Expect Fuji prices to rise in the next month or so, due to weaker Sterling, I believe that the new X-T2 has been priced post Sterling changes so is unlikely to change. So I would expect the X-T1 for the next few months to probably hold it's current price and for the X-T10 to rise slightly. Lenses will almost certainly increase, I would like by around about 10%.

2) You've been dithering for a long long time about buying a Fuji, every day you dither is one less day that you are shooting with a Fuji!!!!

Back