The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Only reason I went out was that a guy from on here who lives in Essex was in the area and wanted a "guide" for the night. Probably would have stayed in if he hadn't posted a request. Now that's what I call lucky!

I hope it's small so that I can slap it on an xe1 rather than the 27mm and that way I'll not be tempted by an x100s or x100t!

Apparently it's almost the same size as the 35/2...so should be fairly small, but not as compact as the 27/2.8 or 18/2.

Just ordered an x70 for my portable needs. Will stick with the original 23m. 1.4 as find it to be excellent

Good point. The cave is the one you mention. I thought it was Cathedral Cavern but happy to be wrong as its another I can visit next time I am up.

That is a gorgeous shot!
Can I ask, is the desaturated colours a result of editing in VSCO or is this one of the film simulation presets? Either way I really like it. For 3200 ISO I would say the camera has coped very well.

Thanks :) The desaturation is a result of the editing in VSCO - the original film simulation was Pro neg lo I think.

Lovely shot Mr G, really nice expression, with some well suited soft tones.(y)

George.

Thanks again George :)

Thanks :) The desaturation is a result of the editing in VSCO - the original film simulation was Pro neg lo I think.

Hmmm interesting!
How would you rate VSCO? I currently use snapseed but i am always open to trying other software.

I want to start doing more JPEG work and do more work on the fly. Your photo is evident of what can be done in camera initially and then some minor tweaks thereafter.

I am contemplating getting a tablet though to make minor edits easier on the eye than using the phone.

All food for thought!

Hmmm interesting!
How would you rate VSCO? I currently use snapseed but i am always open to trying other software.

I want to start doing more JPEG work and do more work on the fly. Your photo is evident of what can be done in camera initially and then some minor tweaks thereafter.

I am contemplating getting a tablet though to make minor edits easier on the eye than using the phone.

All food for thought!

My gut reaction is that VSCO is easier to use than Lightroom, which has some fiddly controls e.g. rotating an image by a few degrees seems quite a challenge! The VSCO free presets seem OK (and can be tweaked afterwards) although I haven't used them as yet. I've downloaded Snapseed so will give that a go next.

I'm currently using a 4 year old 8.9" tablet (Nook HD+ with 1080p screen) running an Operating System called Cyanogen Mod, which is a custom Android installation, putting the old tablet onto Lollipop. I have however ordered a cheapy Chinese tablet for giggles as the Nook is a bit slow these days. The "Chuwi" tablet I've ordered has an 8" full HD screen and comes running both WIndows 10 and Android Lollipop. It will probably be made out of toilet rolls and old yoghurt pots, but the made me LOL :D Plus it was only £60 :eek:

To rotate an image in lightroom is easy. Press the crop button, hover mouse over rotation slider and press the cursor left or right keys on keyboard to rotate image by the minutest amount.

To rotate an image in lightroom is easy. Press the crop button, hover mouse over rotation slider and press the cursor left or right keys on keyboard to rotate image by the minutest amount.
I think the question initially refers to lightroom mobile, used on a tablet or phone though. Much harder with fingers instead of a mouse pointer :(

My gut reaction is that VSCO is easier to use than Lightroom, which has some fiddly controls e.g. rotating an image by a few degrees seems quite a challenge! The VSCO free presets seem OK (and can be tweaked afterwards) although I haven't used them as yet. I've downloaded Snapseed so will give that a go next.

I'm currently using a 4 year old 8.9" tablet (Nook HD+ with 1080p screen) running an Operating System called Cyanogen Mod, which is a custom Android installation, putting the old tablet onto Lollipop. I have however ordered a cheapy Chinese tablet for giggles as the Nook is a bit slow these days. The "Chuwi" tablet I've ordered has an 8" full HD screen and comes running both WIndows 10 and Android Lollipop. It will probably be made out of toilet rolls and old yoghurt pots, but the made me LOL :D Plus it was only £60 :eek:

Ahhhh the trusty Nook HD+, I had one on Cyanogenmod too. The screen was lush for media consumption. I also had its little brother the HD which was equally as good.

I am now thinking of getting a Windows tablet (linx 10 or equivalent). I've done some research and there is an app available on the Windows store called "Polarr", $20 gets you the pro version which comes with a host of editing tools. What really caught my eye though was the fact it can handle Fuji RAW files (for those occasions where only RAW will do) and because the tablet has a full size USB port I could use a card reader to get the RAW's into the tablet.

Let me know how you get on with your Chuwi (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh the trusty Nook HD+, I had one on Cyanogenmod too. The screen was lush for media consumption. I also had its little brother the HD which was equally as good.

I am now thinking of getting a Windows tablet (linx 10 or equivalent). I've done some research and there is an app available on the Windows store called "Polarr", $20 gets you the pro version which comes with a host of editing tools. What really caught my eye though was the fact it can handle Fuji RAW files (for those occasions where only RAW will do) and because the tablet has a full size USB port I could use a card reader to get the RAW's into the tablet.

Let me know how you get on with your Chuwi (y)

A full USB port is always a bonus. That said, I tried a Linx 8 before and that came with a micro-USB to full size adapter cable. Had a few issues with the tablet though - mine was the original Windows 8.1 version, which was fine in Windows 8.1 but the wireless was dog slow in Windows 10. No amount of driver messing sorted it so I reverted to Windows 8.1, which is just horrible to use on tablets IMO. Also picked up a Linx 7 for £20 which was fine other than the screen was just too small.

My main browsing device is actually a 13" Toshiba Chromebook 2 with FHD screen - I just remote through to my Desktop PC to use full on Lightroom wherever I am. Chromebooks are getting Android support later this year, so I'll be interested to see how the photo apps perform without a touchscreen. This might even make the tablet redundant. I'm downloading Polarr to my Chromebook to see what it's like now as well :)

A full USB port is always a bonus. That said, I tried a Linx 8 before and that came with a micro-USB to full size adapter cable. Had a few issues with the tablet though - mine was the original Windows 8.1 version, which was fine in Windows 8.1 but the wireless was dog slow in Windows 10. No amount of driver messing sorted it so I reverted to Windows 8.1, which is just horrible to use on tablets IMO. Also picked up a Linx 7 for £20 which was fine other than the screen was just too small.

My main browsing device is actually a 13" Toshiba Chromebook 2 with FHD screen - I just remote through to my Desktop PC to use full on Lightroom wherever I am. Chromebooks are getting Android support later this year, so I'll be interested to see how the photo apps perform without a touchscreen. This might even make the tablet redundant. I'm downloading Polarr to my Chromebook to see what it's like now as well :)

Let me know your thoughts on Polarr when you give it a shot.
I am trying to get away from reliance upkn my 15 inch laptop for editing.
Its a pain having to wait until i get home before i can edit and i dont really want to hoof the laptop about so a tablet that will fit in the camera bag without weighing anything has aclot of appeal.

Let me know your thoughts on Polarr when you give it a shot.
I am trying to get away from reliance upkn my 15 inch laptop for editing.
Its a pain having to wait until i get home before i can edit and i dont really want to hoof the laptop about so a tablet that will fit in the camera bag without weighing anything has aclot of appeal.

I haven't managed to wrestle the tablet back from the kids yet, but managed to install Polarr on my Chromebook and...it's excellent! I'm only using SOOC JPGs as the laptop is a bit lightweight in the CPU department, but the processing files is easy, with many of the necessary tools available in the free version.

I just edited a couple of photos in no time...the first one resized down to 1024 pixels wide and around 300kb in size for upload here (wanted to see what sort of quality was produced)

bunnies

pier

These are just snapshots pulled at random from my camera - not meant to be serious shots! :D First shot had rotation applied, highlights reduced and a small amount of sharpening. The second one had a filter applied, blacks reduced, grain added and a small amount of sharpening.

I haven't managed to wrestle the tablet back from the kids yet, but managed to install Polarr on my Chromebook and...it's excellent! I'm only using SOOC JPGs as the laptop is a bit lightweight in the CPU department, but the processing files is easy, with many of the necessary tools available in the free version.

I just edited a couple of photos in no time...the first one resized down to 1024 pixels wide and around 300kb in size for upload here (wanted to see what sort of quality was produced)

bunnies

pier

These are just snapshots pulled at random from my camera - not meant to be serious shots! :D First shot had rotation applied, highlights reduced and a small amount of sharpening. The second one had a filter applied, blacks reduced, grain added and a small amount of sharpening.
Thats a very positive report. (y)

bunnies

pier

Random shots or not Graham, they actually work pretty good for me, particularly the first one.(y)

"I realize I'm probably way off target (as I don't even have a cell phone of my own:rolleyes:), yes I know I really should try to keep up. But I do have an iPad and one of the photo editing apps I have on mine is "Laminar Pro" which is very good, if a little complex compared to some of the others. I really wouldn't know if it's available for your devices etc but if it is it might be well worth your time giving it a look. Hope you didn't mind me chipping in with this little bit of probably useless information"

George.

Last edited:
I'm kinda guessin' that you guys may not be the slightest bit interested in these shots, but they're just a few snapshots of where I come from when I'm back home.
The first shot's of our "Boundary", the second shot's of "Our Road", and the last two shot's are of a couple of our "Cotton Fields".

"For the two guys on the TP forum that came out here with your wives to stay with us a short time ago I'm guessin' your fed up with the sight of these fields, certainly at 3am" :whistle::D:D

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/350th @ F5.6, ISO-200, jpg.
Spring Creek Boundary-60186 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, jpg.
Medina Drive-60179 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/350th @ F8, ISO-200, jpg.
Cotton Field (1)-60180 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, jpg.
Cotton Field (2)-60184 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome., (y)

George.

Looks a quiet place to live, George. BTW, what does "unincorporated" mean on the road sign?

Thanks for that Stephen, much appreciated.(y)

"Unincorporated kinda means we the residents have to pay for virtually everything in a nutshell" :(

George.

Hello all - lens help please !

A relative is moving to Singapore for 12 months and as I've never been outside Europe it seems too good an opportunity to miss....

So we are going to visit them next year for 2 weeks and are hoping to visit Bali for a few days too.

I've decided to treat myself to a special lens ! At present I have an XT-1 with 16-50 and 50-230. I have never owned one of Fuji's more expensive lenses (apart from the 14mm which I sold) so I'm unsure what to go for - I might even sell on the lens after the trip.

I like to keep my gear light hence the two XC kit lenses which I really believe punch above their price point and cover a pretty impressive focal length., but I am really tempted by the 10-24 although its heavier and also the 16mm...

The 16-55 is just too big and I'm worried about the lack of OIS - any recommendations ?

thanks

Thanks for that Stephen, much appreciated.(y)

"Unincorporated kinda means we the residents have to pay for virtually everything in a nutshell" :(

George.

I think the UK equivalent is 'unadopted' - basically the householders pay for maintenance etc. rather than the local authority.

A relative is moving to Singapore for 12 months and as I've never been outside Europe it seems too good an opportunity to miss....

So we are going to visit them next year for 2 weeks and are hoping to visit Bali for a few days too.

I've decided to treat myself to a special lens ! At present I have an XT-1 with 16-50 and 50-230. I have never owned one of Fuji's more expensive lenses (apart from the 14mm which I sold) so I'm unsure what to go for - I might even sell on the lens after the trip.

I like to keep my gear light hence the two XC kit lenses which I really believe punch above their price point and cover a pretty impressive focal length., but I am really tempted by the 10-24 although its heavier and also the 16mm...

The 16-55 is just too big and I'm worried about the lack of OIS - any recommendations ?

thanks

If size and weight are important here is a comparison of the 10-24 & 16 compared to your 16-50.
XPR21416.jpg

Weight wise the 16-50 is 220g, 16mm is 422g and the 10-24 is 455g according to my kitchen scales.

Otherwise, your best option probably depends on the reason for parting with the 14mm. The 16mm is a faster lens than the 14mm but not quite as wide. Plus you already have 16mm covered with your zoom. The 10-24 limits you to f4 but has great IS. The 10-24 will extend your zoom range but at the biggest cost to size and weight. If you use filters the 72mm fitting on the 10-24 may mean stepping up a size in filters. When I had the 14mm my opinion was that images were slightly better from it than the 10-24 (very little in it) but wasn't as flexible.

I think the UK equivalent is 'unadopted' - basically the householders pay for maintenance etc. rather than the local authority.

That's about it Malcolm, it's just a little more involved in the States with regards to what type of area it's classified as etc, etc. But as I said, in a nutshell the residents PAY.

George.

thanks

Yes, the 10-24 is relatively heavy but it's much easier than messing around with panorama software when you just want a wide view! That and the 2 XC lenses you already have will cover pretty much all eventualities other than telephoto beyond 345mm (EFL) so unless you want to shoot wildlife etc. at a distance, you'll be sorted!

It would be cheaper to hire the 10-24 from StewartR (lensesforhire.co.uk) but that would obviously be a relatively empty spend - buy one second hand and sell it after your trip and it'll be cheaper than the hire fee... (Or, of course, keep it!)

Back