The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

That would be me! I've been shooting with Fuji since the X10 and ended my love-affair with the X-T1. :)

I've had a chance to play with the X-T2 and I think that the shortcomings of the X-T1 have been addressede move Si, enough for me to give them another chance. I've got an X-T2 on pre-order and I'll be adding a 10-24, 16-55, 50-140 and the 100-400 to the order (hopefully I'll manage to find some decent secondhand ones). I used to shoot a lot of fast moving and and erratic subjects and the AF on the X-T1 isn't up to scratch so I went back to Nikon. I'm not shooting anywhere near as much wildlife/aviation stuff these days so I'm going back to a system I enjoyed with some lenses that I love. :)

That sounds like a positive move Si, be good to have you back on board this thread.(y)

George.

8th September, is that still the date do we know?

As far as I know that's the day they start. There was a rumour they would start shipping at the end of August but it was very vague.
I think I pre ordered within a week after the camera was announced so I hope I'm near the front of the queue. I go away on the 10th, so Sod's law it'll be delivered the day after I leave.

Got to play with an xt2 and grip along with the 100-400 today, very impressed, the handling the speed of operation, viewfinder all spot on. I just love the customization, it is excellent, The grip surprisingly doesn't take anything away from the small size of the camera on its own, it fitted very well and was a cracking combination. I really wanted to pre order one, but had to listen to my sensible side. The date of the 8th was stated to me earlier and they hadn't heard of anything changing. Its a long while since I have been impressed by a camera, the xpro2 did and now the xt2, just need to find the cash for one....

As far as I know that's the day they start. There was a rumour they would start shipping at the end of August but it was very vague.
I think I pre ordered within a week after the camera was announced so I hope I'm near the front of the queue. I go away on the 10th, so Sod's law it'll be delivered the day after I leave.

Just re-direct to my house if your away I makes sure its well looked after.

That sounds like a positive move Si, be good to have you back on board this thread.(y)

George.

Thanks George,

It's good to be coming back into the fold again... I've missed the glass more than the bodies but I was massively impressed with the X-T2 and grip when I played with one last week... I managed to think about it for a whole 24 hours before calling the camera shop to put one on pre-order. :D

Thanks George,

It's good to be coming back into the fold again... I've missed the glass more than the bodies but I was massively impressed with the X-T2 and grip when I played with one last week... I managed to think about it for a whole 24 hours before calling the camera shop to put one on pre-order. :D

They certainly appear to be an "Excellent" bit of kit Si, I had a chance to use one for a time at an F1 meeting and I've listed the post number to my findings below should you feel like taking a look.(y)

"If you take a look at my post #16029 on this thread you'll see my user views of the new X-T2".

George.

I definitly not free on Tues, but might be free on Weds or Thursday.

Locations:-

The Brunner Mond works at Winnington, you can get down both sides of the island, on public footpaths, but as soon as you are visible on the one behind you will attract the eagle eyes of the sucrity team who will immediately assume that you are going to cross the bridge and go onto the island!!! If you park up at the Anderton Boat Lift, and walk back along the Trent and Mersey, you can then walk down some steps to the bridge over the Weaver at Winnington, footpaths either side of the bridge lead you down either side of the Brunner Mond Wharf Island. Island a favourite of Urban Explorers.

Another location is the works on the A530 between the A556 and A559, I usually park in the side road opposite the Rudheath turn and walk along the canal bank, this is the site with the disused electrical power generation plant, again security!! Another Urban Explorer target.

The wrecked boats, and general boatyard dereliction are on the Weaver near Sir John Deanes College, I would usually park in Weir street just of A553, and walk under viaduct and up canal path, locks to visit as well. Locks near here as well, but the better ones are at Vale Royal Locks

Dutton Weir, and Old Horse Bridge is also worth a visit, nearby railway viaduct as well. Park in disused Italian Restaurant/Pub just off A49, near where it cross the Weaver, and walk up banks of the Weaver.

If I'm around I'll happily accompany you, but I have a busy week, Mon - Birmingham, Tues, Reading and then need to spend a day near Church Stretton on Wed/Thurs, I'll know which day I' might be available by Tues morning, and will drop you a line.

I had a feeling security would be tight round those places. Are they likely to swoop down on anyone spotted with a long lens?

Landscape filter wise what are people using with their systems? Good, bad, indifferent?
Hitech Firecrest Filters are very good, I have a few 77mm circular ones (Polariser and a couple of ND Filters) which I've been using on the 16-55 and with a step down ring on the 67mm Fuji 16mm.

They certainly appear to be an "Excellent" bit of kit Si, I had a chance to use one for a time at an F1 meeting and I've listed the post number to my findings below should you feel like taking a look.(y)

"If you take a look at my post #16029 on this thread you'll see my user views of the new X-T2".

George.
There's got to be a quick way of finding that. Anyone know how to do it?

I had a feeling security would be tight round those places. Are they likely to swoop down on anyone spotted with a long lens?

Not if you are on a public footpath!!!! I've never had an issue from the paths or even the riverbanks, but the little security van, has tracked me on the opposite side on the island, especially when I got near the bridge. If you look on the urbex forums, you will see both locations are regularly penetrated, and since both are live sites, they have naturally upped their security vigilance. From the urbex forums they seem to get caught at least 50% of the time, and marched off-site. The power generation building looks the most interesting, but recently cameras have been installed inside the building as well as outside.

Can you explain tome why the two different systems? Or are they not two different systems? Sorry, have never used filters before but want to get more into long exposure and landscape shooting.

Adam, I do quite a bit of real long exposure ND stuff, 16+ stops, and I'm not a fan of gaskets, square filters and light leaks, so I have step rings to take my Fuji lenses to 72mm, the apply the ND filters as required. I just prefer screw in ND filters. If I want to add a grad as well then, the filter holder screws into the the thread on the front of the filter, and I can add grads. It's just my preferred way of doing things, yes of course you could have all 85mm square/rectangle filters and then use just the filter holder.

Please note the Lee Seven5 and Hitech 67mm systems are not wide enough for the Samyang 12mm and Fuji 10-24 lenses, so if you want to go Lee you will need the 100mm system. Hitech offer 85mm and 100mm systems.

Last edited:

I didn't know how to do that either,:rolleyes: guess I should read how things work a bit more.:)

Adam, I do quite a bit of real long exposure ND stuff, 16+ stops, and I'm not a fan of gaskets, square filters and light leaks, so I have step rings to take my Fuji lenses to 72mm, the apply the ND filters as required. I just prefer screw in ND filters. If I want to add a grad as well then, the filter holder screws into the the thread on the front of the filter, and I can add grads. It's just my preferred way of doing things, yes of course you could have all 85mm square/rectangle filters and then use just the filter holder.

Please note the Lee Seven5 and Hitech 67mm systems are not wide enough for the Samyang 12mm and Fuji 10-24 lenses, so if you want to go Lee you will need the 100mm system. Hitech offer 85mm and 100mm systems.

Thanks for the response. Am I correct in thinking the Hitech 85mm offering would be large enough for the Fuji 10-24? Also, if you were starting out, would something like this be a good place to start? Is it missing anything that you would likely need/want?

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/travel-filter-kit-elia-locardi-signature-edition

Alternatively, what individual screw in filters would you recommend?

Last edited:
Pardon me being stupid, but that only works once you've found the post in question. How do I search and find that post number?
If I click post#17064 I only get a link to that. How do I find #16029 without trawling through my back pages (apologies to Mr Dylan!)

Pardon me being stupid, but that only works once you've found the post in question. How do I search and find that post number?
If I click post#17064 I only get a link to that. How do I find #16029 without trawling through my back pages (apologies to Mr Dylan!)

Presumably the only reason you know that post 16029 is the one you want is because you are looking at it? Otherwise you are resorting to guessing what that post contains.

No I want to look at post 16029 because GK has told me to do so. So how do I find it if he doesn't provide a lnik? You provided a link but you must have found the post to do so. How did you find the post? It's a long way back.

Thanks for the response. Am I correct in thinking the Hitech 85mm offering would be large enough for the Fuji 10-24? Also, if you were starting out, would something like this be a good place to start? Is it missing anything that you would likely need/want?

http://www.formatt-hitech.com/kits/travel-filter-kit-elia-locardi-signature-edition

Alternatively, what individual screw in filters would you recommend?

Adam, that would be a good starting point, but personally I wouldn't invest that much £££ until you knew that you wanted filters. I would buy a simple screw-in 10 stopper and have a play something like the Xsource filter from amazon, or the SRB one (though the latter has quite a significant magenta colour cast). Have a play with one of these and when you know that the filter bug has caught invest in one of the more premium brands. the Firecrest range from Hitech has next to no colour cast, but isn't cheap.

No I want to look at post 16029 because GK has told me to do so. So how do I find it if he doesn't provide a lnik? You provided a link but you must have found the post to do so. How did you find the post? It's a long way back.

well it's only 26 pages back, you can either keep clicking back using the page navigation (annoying because after the first jump of 5 pages it only goes 2 at a time from there) or you can edit the page you are on in your browsers navigation bar. E.G. in my address bar it says "https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fuji-x-t1-x-t2-x-t10-owners-thread.527428/page-427" so I can edit the 427 to any page I want and hit enter. It's still guesswork to get to the required page but it's the quickest way I know of.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned somewhere earlier in the year that there is a quick way to go to a specific post, if you know the number. I might ask in the help section.

The T2 does look pretty good. Not got one on order myself - yet. But it's going to happen, I just know it:)

What works for me is to keep talking about a piece of kit I want until Mrs Nod says words to the effect of "If you buy the thing will you STFU about it?" So I do and do!!!

well it's only 26 pages back, you can either keep clicking back using the page navigation (annoying because after the first jump of 5 pages it only goes 2 at a time from there) or you can edit the page you are on in your browsers navigation bar. E.G. in my address bar it says "https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fuji-x-t1-x-t2-x-t10-owners-thread.527428/page-427" so I can edit the 427 to any page I want and hit enter. It's still guesswork to get to the required page but it's the quickest way I know of.

Divide the post number by the number of posts per page (40 for me IIRC) and round the answer up. so post # 16029 will be on page 401 then edit the address as Barry has said. To save your poor old minds the trouble, here's a link to the required post (again!!!) :p:p:p https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...10-owners-thread.527428/page-401#post-7485111 I have a feeling that each post on the forum gets a sequential number so there have been over 7.5 million posts on the forum - that's some database!!!

Does that mean you've ordered one? You said it was always going to happen.

Anyway, another problem. L brackets. Not sure if the T1 bracket fits. A normal Arca plate covers the battery door on the T1 so a cut out is needed. If there are no L brackets for the T2 and if the T1 bracket doesn't fit then it will be PIA changing batteries.
Anyone seen or heard about new brackets? None show up in my searches.

Does that mean you've ordered one? You said it was always going to happen.

Anyway, another problem. L brackets. Not sure if the T1 bracket fits. A normal Arca plate covers the battery door on the T1 so a cut out is needed. If there are no L brackets for the T2 and if the T1 bracket doesn't fit then it will be PIA changing batteries.
Anyone seen or heard about new brackets? None show up in my searches.

Not yet, just waiting on a client contract before I push the go button.

Me neither. Might have done so today if it hadn't been peeing down when I was thinking of going out.

Hitech Firecrest 72mm screw in NDs
Hitech 85mm slot in Grads
I've been saving for some filters, was going to go down the Lee route, I didn't know of the Hitech filters. Do they have the equivalent of the big/little stopper? Looks like the money might go towards a T2 if I can make my mind up, new filters, new lens, or new T2 body.

I've been saving for some filters, was going to go down the Lee route, I didn't know of the Hitech filters. Do they have the equivalent of the big/little stopper? Looks like the money might go towards a T2 if I can make my mind up, new filters, new lens, or new T2 body.

You can order Hitech Firecrest NDs in individual stops 1-10 and then 13 and 16. The Firecrest ones are pretty neutral, the older resin ones have a bluish colour cast

Back