The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's likely to be £1599 here then.

Yeah quite likely. I'm hoping it's going to be a stellar lens. I have started to wonder if I'll miss the 200mm end though...

I'm waiting to see what happens at Photokina with regards to the 7D mkII and also I'm interested to see the D750. I still haven't sold my Canon gear and I'm still stuck at deciding to go all in with Fuji, or keeping a DSLR for sports/action. If I do keep a DSLR I might lean more towards a FF mirrorless with MF glass for a lightweight walkabout. There's too much choice! :D

Thanks very much! Ordered a set which should arrive Tuesday can't wait :) Do you find they give you proper 1:1 then or close? Also been thinking about this raynox 250 I think it is.
Tbh I haven't really checked, but I'd say it is pretty close.
HTH

All this talk recently of extension tubes and macro lenses made me want to try some XT-1 macro.

I remembered reading somewhere about reversing lenses to get even closer, but it's not quite working.
Thought it was going to be a shot of a spider but got this instead.

View attachment 20218

Where did I go wrong?

[Q UOTE="Barrysprout, post: 6462691, member: 13853"]All this talk recently of extension tubes and macro lenses made me want to try some XT-1 macro.

I remembered reading somewhere about reversing lenses to get even closer, but it's not quite working.
Thought it was going to be a shot of a spider but got this instead.

View attachment 20218

Where did I go wrong?[/QUOTE]

You left the curtains open ! ;)

Nick if you think the sky is as bright as that in Scotland anytime let alone 7.30pm you've never visited :D

Reflection is a softbox.

Have to say it's really quite tricky being that close to the wrong side of the camera, trying to look straight into the lens with one eye while trying to use the other eye to check focus on a tablet. I almost managed.

Nick if you think the sky is as bright as that in Scotland anytime let alone 7.30pm you've never visited :D

Reflection is a softbox.

Have to say it's really quite tricky being that close to the wrong side of the camera, trying to look straight into the lens with one eye while trying to use the other eye to check focus on a tablet. I almost managed.

Fair one ! I know Scotland very well I forgot how dark it gets in the evenings - Good effort by the way !

Can't wait to try this "a Natural Live View mode which removes custom image settings from the viewfinder image to replicate the neutral look of a regular optical viewfinder"

Looking forward to the electronic shutter :D Hit the limits of the camera a couple of times yesterday shooting at 1.2, then again, I didn't need to be shooting at 1.2.
Flash combined with electronic shutter would be good.

Can't wait to try this "a Natural Live View mode which removes custom image settings from the viewfinder image to replicate the neutral look of a regular optical viewfinder"

Does sound good. I think Fuji has done it again tbh, they are certainly listening to what real photographers want instead of coming up with gimmicks for the selfie crowd.

This is the sort of thing that is drawing me inexorably toward moving from Nikon DSLR to Fuji X. The peeps at Fuji do seem to be able to take on board what photographers want and need and implement it quickly and efficiently.....
Just need to decide if I want to spend the extra on an X-T1 or go for the X-E2 and an extra lens....decisions, decisions. :thinking:

This is the sort of thing that is drawing me inexorably toward moving from Nikon DSLR to Fuji X. The peeps at Fuji do seem to be able to take on board what photographers want and need and implement it quickly and efficiently.....
Just need to decide if I want to spend the extra on an X-T1 or go for the X-E2 and an extra lens....decisions, decisions. :thinking:

Get the X-T1 imo, can always save a bit more for the lens.

You can wait a bit and see if the silver xt1 will bring the price of the black one down a bit.

You can wait a bit and see if the silver xt1 will bring the price of the black one down a bit.

I wouldve thought if anything the black cameras demand will increase/hold value, especially with the new FW update. Kind of like when the X100 got its decent FW upgrade.

Will be interesting to see who joins Fuji with the faster shutter speed of the new XT1, there will be no need to carry filters ;)

Depends where you shop, you can get the current XT1 for around the £700 mark. The silver one is going to take a little while for the prices to stabalize, you are going to be into March / April next year. Now is the time to purchase if your going new, IMO.

Can't see any mention of the electronic shutter or natural live view mode on the list of firmware upgrades for the existing Black X-T1

*edit* read it again and as I expected my mistake

Can see X-E2 owners being a bit miffed if they don't also get the firmware upgrade

Still not excited by the 50-140, again it looks massive on the camera and weighs about 2lbs. Think I will stick with a regular DSLR for long lenses, exactly the reason I kept the 5D and 70-200 plus a T/C

Last edited:
Can't see any mention of the electronic shutter or natural live view mode on the list of firmware upgrades for the existing Black X-T1

*edit* read it again and as I expected my mistake

Can see X-E2 owners being a bit miffed if they don't also get the firmware upgrade

For anyone else…

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n140910_02.html

This functionality will be installed on the X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition from its launch. A firmware update planned for December, 2014 will install these features on the X-T1 Black.

View attachment 20302 View attachment 20303 View attachment 20304

Haven't been out much with my camera, these were just taken within the confines of the garden on a misty morning, and later that evening through the bedroom window! All with the wonderful 55-200!

Anyone still dithering over purchasing a Samyang 12mm by the way, just DO IT! Very, very good lens, I think even a bit better than the excellent Tokina 11-16mm. Here it is cruelly showing up the flaws in my other hobby...
View attachment 20306

Dean Goods Loco if I'm not mistaken and very nice too

Back to Fuji and nice as all these new things are, what about making some more replacement eyecups!!

Last edited:

Back to Fuji and nice as all these new things are, what about making some more replacement eyecups!!

I have put my name down with few camera stores for when they get the new eyecup and haven't heard anything for weeks now :(

I know that Mrs Sprout is going to tell me that the new firmware is my Christmas present this year! To be honest I don't think I'll be too disappointed with that.

Took the opportunity whilst out yesterday to take a couple of reference shots for explaining how a longer lens compresses things in an image. Shot with 14mm and 56mm.

View attachment 20310 View attachment 20311

I think they demonstrate quite well. But I also took a third shot from another angle so that I can explain to the more gullible that it's an extending platform and this shot shows it nearly fully retracted :D

View attachment 20309

I know that Mrs Sprout is going to tell me that the new firmware is my Christmas present this year! To be honest I don't think I'll be too disappointed with that.

Took the opportunity whilst out yesterday to take a couple of reference shots for explaining how a longer lens compresses things in an image. Shot with 14mm and 56mm.

View attachment 20310 View attachment 20311

I think they demonstrate quite well. But I also took a third shot from another angle so that I can explain to the more gullible that it's an extending platform and this shot shows it nearly fully retracted :D

View attachment 20309

Nice, really good demonstration shots.

Just got an email from Wex about the new Fuji's. Free battery grip with the graphite XT1. Wouldn't be enough to tempt me to pay £240 more than the black :eek:

Just got an email from Wex about the new Fuji's. Free battery grip with the graphite XT1. Wouldn't be enough to tempt me to pay £240 more than the black :eek:

I reckon it'll be more expensive until the firmware update is released for the black version. Seems like the smart thing to do is buy a lightly used black XT from an early adopter and update it in December.

Certainly is, an old Hornby model with an etched chassis to EM gauge nearing completion.

Going to have a proper play with the 19mm tomorrow and Friday, as I'm down in Caerleon for a graduation ceremony then it's off round Big pit museum and home via the Black mountains. Should be able to find something to put it to use!

I've just read Zak Arias's blog post about the X100T and apparently selecting the electronic shutter disables the hotshoe, presumably this will be the same on the X-T1. :(
But at least that gives me reason to keep the X100S :)

Think this update has given me a reason to switch to Fuji.

Just working out what options I can afford. Would love the 18-55,56, 50-140, and 10-24 but doubt budget will stretch that far!

One thing, has there been any advancements in OCF with triggers particularly in ettl?

Back