The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

it was doing it on pics on your own wall ive never seen, isnt the photo personal anyway and you know your the tog. just curious really, never seen anyone do it for "personal use" before
If somebody broke in and nicked it then put it in a gallery, everyone would know whose it was. :sneaky:

I kinda like it tbh :)

Me too, I think its a great idea.(y)

"Who knows Peter may end up a very famous photographer, and then its anyones guess just to how much that signed photo will be worth in years to come":D

George.

it was doing it on pics on your own wall ive never seen, isnt the photo personal anyway and you know your the tog. just curious really, never seen anyone do it for "personal use" before
I was always taught to sign each and every print (even from my analogue dark room years), kinda makes it a bit more 'Professional' I think. It's just what I do, a good habit to get into.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASH
I was always taught to sign each and every print (even from my analogue dark room years), kinda makes it a bit more 'Professional' I think. It's just what I do, a good habit to get into.
thank you, i must admit i dont think it looks professional, but each to their own. take it easy nik

"DON'T READ THIS" I bet that's got your attention.:D:D

As most of you won't be of the slightest bit interested in the following notes so my advice would be to fast forward to another bit of this thread and miss this post out altogether.

But in case you are interested then read on.

Just a bit of nonsense about my experiences so far with regards to the X-T2 & Battery Grips. Two weeks ago I was staying in Dallas TX for a couple of nights before headin' across to Austin TX for the USA F1. I was downtown Dallas with a buddy of mine who lives in Dallas and we clapped our eyes on a really well stocked camera store, so in we went for a browse. Low & behold they had several (yes several) X-T2 cameras for sale right there on the shelf along with Battery Grips and any Fuji lens you could want. Yes you've guessed it, I bought an X-T2 & Battery Grip and a 100-400mm lens right there and then. The guy in the store recognized my buddy from the hotel that he works at and also that I had a fair bit of an English flavor to my American accent, so we all got chatting and it ended up that he gave me a really good discount on the equipment.

When I got to the Austin F1 on qualifying day I started to use the X-T2 gear together with the 100-400mm lens and some of my other Fuji zoom lenses for a bit of practice alongside my main DSLRs. Everything seemed to be OK so I did exactly the same thing on race day. I had used one of these units before at a couple of F1 events but only for a short time as the belonged to another tog.

Back in Dallas that evening for a bit of R&R and then I thought, I was so impressed with this Fuji setup that I'd try my luck and see if I could just pick up a second X-T2 & Battery Grip from the same store the following morning. Success a second unit at the same discount price.

Fast forward now to last weekend, and we are in Mexico City for the F1, a place I have never been to before. The traffic is on the next level and its absolute chaos trying to get anywhere by road. But such a fascinating place to be in and see, I only wish I'd had more time to explore. At the qualifying I just used the X-T2 setups but had my DSLRs to hand should I need them. And then on race day I took with me which for me is a very bold step (being a safety net kinda guy) just the Fuji gear and left all of my DSLRs at the hotel and just used the Fuji units. They didn't miss a beat, they were absolutely "CRACKING" units to use and "EASILY" able to offer a performance when in boost mode that was virtually on par with my DSLRs.

Back in the UK again late last Monday I had been so impressed with working with the Fujis that I started to compile an order ready to be made on Tuesday morning for all the X-T2 & Battery Grips and 100-400mm lenses that we as a company will need to replace all of our DSLR bodys. Other lenses we already have so no extra outlay there. Our DSLR lenses we'll be keeping at least for the time being. As you can imagine it is a huge financial out lay initially but when we get to sell on our DSLR gear we'll probably end up a bit in pocket. So in my book a "RESULT".

I did warn you that this post might not be of the slightest bit of interest to you, but I'm absolutely bubbling over with how good these X-T2 & Battery Grip units are, and as we all know the Fuji lenses are up there with the very best.(y):D

George.
Problem with this George is now you highlight to me how s*** I am if you find it so good and a DSLR replacement

Well I now have more vintage glass than fuji lenses, managed to win on ebay a Helios44M attached to a Zenith 12XP camera for £18.

I had one of these lenses previously but the apeture blades stuck so for the price this time I cant complain.

Well I now have more vintage glass than fuji lenses, managed to win on ebay a Helios44M attached to a Zenith 12XP camera for £18.

I had one of these lenses previously but the apeture blades stuck so for the price this time I cant complain.

Any good cheap recommendations?

I may have to get a Nikon G adapter, as I still have a Sigma 150mm macro that I can't shift, might have a scope about and see if there's any old classic Nikon AI lenses worth having too

Last edited:
Any good cheap recommendations?

I may have to get a Nikon G adapter, as I still have a Sigma 150mm macro that I can't shift, might have a scope about and see if there's any old classic Nikon AI lenses worth having too

Any of the 24/2.8 (non-ai, ai, ais) are great, as are the 35/2 variants and 105/2.5. For starters!

Personally though, I'd grab some Contax Zeiss glass...I've got a shelf full of them and can't see myself ever flogging them :)

As most of you won't be of the slightest bit interested in the following notes so my advice would be to fast forward to another bit of this thread and miss this post out altogether.

Just a bit of nonsense about my experiences so far with regards to the X-T2 & Battery Grips. Two weeks ago I was staying in Dallas TX for a couple of nights before headin' across to Austin TX for the USA F1. I was downtown Dallas with a buddy of mine who lives in Dallas and we clapped our eyes on a really well stocked camera store, so in we went for a browse. Low & behold they had several (yes several) X-T2 cameras for sale right there on the shelf along with Battery Grips and any Fuji lens you could want. Yes you've guessed it, I bought an X-T2 & Battery Grip and a 100-400mm lens right there and then. The guy in the store recognized my buddy from the hotel that he works at and also that I had a fair bit of an English flavor to my American accent, so we all got chatting and it ended up that he gave me a really good discount on the equipment.

When I got to the Austin F1 on qualifying day I started to use the X-T2 gear together with the 100-400mm lens and some of my other Fuji zoom lenses for a bit of practice alongside my main DSLRs. Everything seemed to be OK so I did exactly the same thing on race day. I had used one of these units before at a couple of F1 events but only for a short time as the belonged to another tog.

Back in Dallas that evening for a bit of R&R and then I thought, I was so impressed with this Fuji setup that I'd try my luck and see if I could just pick up a second X-T2 & Battery Grip from the same store the following morning. Success a second unit at the same discount price.

Fast forward now to last weekend, and we are in Mexico City for the F1, a place I have never been to before. The traffic is on the next level and its absolute chaos trying to get anywhere by road. But such a fascinating place to be in and see, I only wish I'd had more time to explore. At the qualifying I just used the X-T2 setups but had my DSLRs to hand should I need them. And then on race day I took with me which for me is a very bold step (being a safety net kinda guy) just the Fuji gear and left all of my DSLRs at the hotel and just used the Fuji units. They didn't miss a beat, they were absolutely "CRACKING" units to use and "EASILY" able to offer a performance when in boost mode that was virtually on par with my DSLRs.

Back in the UK again late last Monday I had been so impressed with working with the Fujis that I started to compile an order ready to be made on Tuesday morning for all the X-T2 & Battery Grips and 100-400mm lenses that we as a company will need to replace all of our DSLR bodys. Other lenses we already have so no extra outlay there. Our DSLR lenses we'll be keeping at least for the time being. As you can imagine it is a huge financial out lay initially but when we get to sell on our DSLR gear we'll probably end up a bit in pocket. So in my book a "RESULT".

I did warn you that this post might not be of the slightest bit of interest to you, but I'm absolutely bubbling over with how good these X-T2 & Battery Grip units are, and as we all know the Fuji lenses are up there with the very best.(y):D

George.

This is a fabulous update George, I'm seriously impressed that Fuji has delivered the tools you need.

BTW, your job sounds amazing :D

Any of the 24/2.8 (non-ai, ai, ais) are great, as are the 35/2 variants and 105/2.5. For starters!

Personally though, I'd grab some Contax Zeiss glass...I've got a shelf full of them and can't see myself ever flogging them :)

Some nice glass alright, not exactly cheap though

This is a fabulous update George, I'm seriously impressed that Fuji has delivered the tools you need.

BTW, your job sounds amazing :D

Thanks Graham, much appreciate your interest.(y)

"Its actually not my main job now since I took over at the helm of my Dads business interests earlier this year (when I finally got him to retire) which is nothing to do with photography. I just still own the photography company and put in a shift as and when I can. it was until I revamped it and sold a lot of it off earlier this year (just keeping the motor sport contracts) mainly product/catalogue work with wedding stuff that I absolutely hated and had very little to do with. Its now virtually 100% motor sport in some form or another mainly contracted work"

George.

Sounds good George any chance we can see some of your photos of the races/cars i wanna see how good this thing is

If I can get client permission to post some on here then yes of coarse you can. I'll need to get written permission first though as naturally everything is copyrighted by the company's we work for.(y)

George.

Thanks Graham, much appreciate your interest.(y)

"Its actually not my main job now since I took over at the helm of my Dads business interests earlier this year (when I finally got him to retire) which is nothing to do with photography. I just still own the photography company and put in a shift as and when I can. it was until I revamped it and sold a lot of it off earlier this year (just keeping the motor sport contracts) mainly product/catalogue work with wedding stuff that I absolutely hated and had very little to do with. Its now virtually 100% motor sport in some form or another mainly contracted work"

George.

Your job sounds even better now :D

Your job sounds even better now :D

Nah!!!, its just a job m8. And it can still be a pain in the butt just the same as any job. It has its good points of coarse but there's a whole lotta not so good points as well.

George.

Nah!!!, its just a job m8. And it can still be a pain in the butt just the same as any job. It has its good points of coarse but there's a whole lotta not so good points as well.

George.
But at least your job interests and hobby interests can intertwine. When I was an IT manager I couldn't wait to get home and away from it. And hated relatives thinking I was their personal help desk!

But at least your job interests and hobby interests can intertwine. When I was an IT manager I couldn't wait to get home and away from it. And hated relatives thinking I was their personal help desk!

Just remember, it doesn't matter what your role is, if you work for an IT company, you're expected to fix everyone's PC/laptop/printer :D

Last edited:
Hi,

I traded two of my Sony lenses for it on the classified on here. :D
I think I am going to look out for nice example of the 18-55mm f2.8-4 for now and see how I get on.
Would love the 16-55mm f2.8 but it doesn't have OIS.

Riz, I've got a brand new 18-55 I got with my XT2 that I'll be moving on (keeping the 16-55)

George.
Nice feedback, thanks George. Out of interest what DSLRs do you have that you are comparing to? Also the thing I really appreciate when using my DSLR with fast AF lenses is that they lock onto the subject instantly, which is vital for such things as when I'm trying to pick out specific runners in the middle of the 'crowd' in the London Marathon for example. Do you get that same instant lock on with the XT2 and would you be confident to get the shot in a fleeting moment? Finally how is the balance with the large lenses, is the grip imperative?

I've never thought of it in that light Stephen, to me its just something that has to be done to pay the rent as they say.(y)

"Must admit though I'm always interested to know what others do for a living but never like to ask, purely out of interest of coarse"

George.

Your thoughts on this please. Just had my XT2 after switching from Nikon. Bought it with 18-55 plus I got the 35mm f2. I want to build my lens collection now, thinking my next buy should be between the 16mm f1.4 or the 10-24 f4. I know there's a huge debate about prime v zoom but I heard and read so many good things about both these lenses. So, with all the experience here I thought I would ask your opinions? Would it be the 16mm for its f1.4 and sudo macro ability or the 10-24mm f4 for it's wider view and versatility over a larger range?
Many thanks.

Lyn, the 16mm is a stunning lens, probably the sharpest Fuji lens i own and its brilliant for landscapes, the f1.4 is also really handy at times. However personally I don't think 16mm is always quite wide enough and its not massively different to the 18mm end of your 18-55 zoom (albeit faster).

You could also consider the 14mm f2.8, smaller and lighter than both the 16mm and the 10-24, noticeably wider than the 18-55 and quick if not quite as quick as the 16mm.

I kinda like it tbh :)
Me too. I've seen many photos (and paintings) signed on the mount and I think they do make them look official/professional. In fact when our local picture store asked for some of my pics he asked that I sign the mount once he'd framed them. Still not got round to popping back :oops: :$

Problem with this George is now you highlight to me how s*** I am if you find it so good and a DSLR replacement
I've been telling you this for ages :whistle:

Only kidding ;)

I've never thought of it in that light Stephen, to me its just something that has to be done to pay the rent as they say.(y)

"Must admit though I'm always interested to know what others do for a living but never like to ask, purely out of interest of coarse"

George.
Nothing as exciting as your job ;)

Nice feedback, thanks George. Out of interest what DSLRs do you have that you are comparing to? Also the thing I really appreciate when using my DSLR with fast AF lenses is that they lock onto the subject instantly, which is vital for such things as when I'm trying to pick out specific runners in the middle of the 'crowd' in the London Marathon for example. Do you get that same instant lock on with the XT2 and would you be confident to get the shot in a fleeting moment? Finally how is the balance with the large lenses, is the grip imperative?

Sure Toby, the DSLRs are either D810 with Battery Grips or D4s units. The X-T2 with Battery Grip will absolutely lose the D810 for auto focus etc and IMVHO are pretty damn close to the D4s for auto focus. I personally would have every confidence in the auto focus system locking on. And finally I wouldn't want to use the X-T2 with the 100-400mm lens without the battery pack. And of course the camera is generally faster and the VF refresh rate much better with the battery grip. The VF black out with the grip in boost mode is virtually non existent and IMHO as good as the mirror black out time with the DSLRs.(y)

These are of coarse only my opinions and obviously I have not carried out any scientific tests etc, just user experiences.

George.

Sure Toby, the DSLRs are either D810 with Battery Grips or D4s units. The X-T2 with Battery Grip will absolutely lose the D810 for auto focus etc and IMVHO are pretty damn close to the D4s for auto focus. I personally would have every confidence in the auto focus system locking on. And finally I wouldn't want to use the X-T2 with the 100-400mm lens without the battery pack. And of course the camera is generally faster and the VF refresh rate much better with the battery grip. The VF black out with the grip in boost mode is virtually non existent and IMHO as good as the mirror black out time with the DSLRs.(y)

These are of coarse only my opinions and obviously I have not carried out any scientific tests etc, just user experiences.

George.
Thanks again. Does the battery grip improve AF in any way or just the frame rate and blackout? The trouble for me with the grip is that you're back into DSLR size and weight which then makes me wonder what the advantage is (other than EVF for some)?

So ... the XT-1 grip only holds one battery? :/ I thought it was same as the 2 ... bummer.

Certainly is.
Housewarming party.
Toggling days out.
Winter in the Yorkshire Dales.
I'm looking forward to it.

Guess I won't be welcomed [emoji23]

WoOt, 10-24 arrived. I can finally shoot my new XT-1...later..

Weather is pants though.

are the Fuji lens as good as Canon L series lens ?
This is the only reason I'm not clicking the buy tab on a unit ..

George.
That was an interesting read George.

Back