The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I must admit I do find most bird shots a bit 'samey' and boring, with the exception of birds of prey etc.

Far rather portraits, landscapes or cityscapes / urban architecture.

Not to say that's what everyone should like. This is just what interests me and everyone is different.

I think for the lenses I got 18mm and 35mm, I don't think i can shoot stuff like birds anyway lol. Having trouble tracking focus on my fast walking 14month girl. Nevermind tracking birds lol.

I think for the lenses I got 18mm and 35mm, I don't think i can shoot stuff like birds anyway lol. Having trouble tracking focus on my fast walking 14month girl. Nevermind tracking birds lol.

No you are wrong, look Puffins shot with an X100 (fixed 23mm lens on a crop sensor)

Three Wise Men
by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

Lots of patience sitting still (and a reasonably heavy crop!)

Lol. It easier taking landscapes my bird shots are c***.

Yeah that means having to trek somewhere :D tbh the birds are more a therapy for me, I find them calming. Have a coffee, watch them get up to their antics, practice manual focusing :coffee: :)

I do want to get out and try some landscapes, not really put my Fujis to the test in that area yet.

I'm manual focusing for my bird shots, it's a matter of how close you can get to them without scaring them off. Garden birds are very skittish, especially when you also have cats roaming the area. I'm trying to capture some action shots atm, there does be territory wars afoot at the feeders. Can be tricky, a lot of it is just good timing:

Tit Finch wars by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Pity I didn't keep the full Blue tit in frame, but it still captures a moment we don't really pay much attention to, you can sense the anger from the finch :D

Last edited:
I like street shots these days to capture the moment or story behind it.

Me too Sir, I've recently had a bit more time to do some street style shots and I'm loving it. It's a style of photography I once did quite a bit of.(y)

George.

Not quite, The Polarizing ring just allows the polariser to be fitted to the 85mm holder, you would need to add the 95mm polariser

Have I managed to pick the correct polariser now then?

HiTech by S F, on Flickr

Last edited:
Same here.

I guess nobody really likes bird shots on here anymore? I must get shooting some landscape ... :ROFLMAO:

Lol. It easier taking landscapes my bird shots are c***.

I did actually venture into the bird section just the once, I only commented on one shot but I got severely burnt.:D:D

George.

Ah I never get that specific, my current shots are more for the technical side of it. XT-1 + adapted lenses. If you can nail birds squabbling, you can nail slower moving things ... like kids :D

Have I managed to pick the correct polariser now then?

HiTech by S F, on Flickr

Yes that looks ok, but I think you need to take into account a few things first:-

1) I assume that you are going to buy some grads at some point - hence the holder, if you are not but are just going to buy full NDs then I wouldn't bother with the holder and just use screw in everything eg

Lens -> Step Ring -> Screw In Filters - you woun't need to go as big as 95mm then.

2) I have no experience of putting a polariser on the outside of the Hitech holder, so I don't know how many slots you can build the holder with before it will start to vignette with the polariser on it. Hitech do an Ultra Slim polariser which potentially will vignette less, but if for instance you were to put your chosen caboodle on the Samyang 12mm, you might get vignetting, I just don';t know.....

I virtually use screw in all the time, I hardly ever use grads, and when I do I screw my grads to the front of my chosen screw in stack.So I go lens -> 72mm step ring -> 72mm screw in filters -> holder -> grads (I only put the holder in, if I'm using grads., otherwise my NDs and polariser are in my stack. I chose 72mm as its not too big, and fits up to the 10-24 lens, it won't do the 16-55 f2.8 lens as this has a 77mm filter size, and if the forthcoming rumoured 8-16mm lens is true then I'd expect this to be 77mm or even 82mm, and then the Hitech holder would be useless as well.

You need to think about what you are likely to shoot with in the next few years, I love the 14mm lens and am unlikely to go wider than that so I'm happy with my set up, but you need to consider your medium and long term aims before investing (and it is an investment!)

Sorry not to be much help. I can only say what I have and it works for me.

Last edited:
I've been back home to "Spring Creek" (Tennessee) since the end of November last and this is one of the shots I took when I managed to get a trip on the General Jackson Showboat.
It's Just a shot of the Sternwheel on the General Jackson Showboat that operates on the Cumberland River out of Nashville.

The General Jackson was built by Jeffboat in Jeffersonville, Indiana and launched in 1985. Though built to resemble a vintage steam-powered riverboat, it is actually powered by diesel generators which power two 600 horsepower (450 kW) electric motors, which in turn propel a 24-foot-diameter (7.3 m), 36-ton sternwheel. The boat has a capacity of 1,200 passengers and 157 crew members. She is 274 feet (84 m) long (300 feet (91 m) with gangway extended), has a 63-foot-6-inch (19.35 m) beam (width), is 77 feet (23 m) tall with her folding smokestacks fully extended (the folding stacks are necessary because of low bridge clearances), and has a draft of 7 feet (2.1 m).

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/500th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
General Jackson Sternwheel (1)-03088 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Off to Bristol tomorrow to do some street. Weather looks pants though but it's an opportunity to meet some new fellow geeks from a local FB group.

I had another 'practise' day out with the XT-2 and 100-400 lens at the Leighton Moss RSPB site today. If I'm honest, I do feel I'm struggling to get to grips with this combination after trading in my Nikon D610 and Tamron 160-600 system. Perhaps it's because I've had Nikons for 30 years (and the old dog new tricks syndrome has struck)
Out of a few hundred shots today, I've saved a dozen as a reminded I was there!

Yesterday on the High-end bridge cameras section, I saw a Robin with stunning detail, taken with a Sony RX10M3. So today a Robin at the reserve did 5 minutes of posing for me and my end results were no way near as detailed......what am I doing wrong OR is the Sony a sharper lens???
I'm not yet throwing the towel in, as some of the images on this page are excellent....seems I've just answered my own question - it's ME.

Here is one of the images I think just make it....just.
Greylags at Leighton Moss RSPB by brickdav, on Flickr

I had another 'practise' day out with the XT-2 and 100-400 lens at the Leighton Moss RSPB site today. If I'm honest, I do feel I'm struggling to get to grips with this combination after trading in my Nikon D610 and Tamron 160-600 system. Perhaps it's because I've had Nikons for 30 years (and the old dog new tricks syndrome has struck)
Out of a few hundred shots today, I've saved a dozen as a reminded I was there!

Yesterday on the High-end bridge cameras section, I saw a Robin with stunning detail, taken with a Sony RX10M3. So today a Robin at the reserve did 5 minutes of posing for me and my end results were no way near as detailed......what am I doing wrong OR is the Sony a sharper lens???
I'm not yet throwing the towel in, as some of the images on this page are excellent....seems I've just answered my own question - it's ME.

Here is one of the images I think just make it....just.
Greylags at Leighton Moss RSPB by brickdav, on Flickr

Nowt wrong with that, great capture. And very clean for ISO 3200.

The bridge cams may well be better closer up, I find manual focusing much better for closer up birds. They even twitch and they can go OOF. I find it easier get an area in focus rather than trying to pin point.

Last edited:
Is the photo captured with the bridge camera in better light so has a clearer image due to lower iso and a faster shutter speed ? :thinking:

I don't have the 100-400mm so cant comment on its quality myself yet most Fuji lenses seem very good usually so maybe its all down to getting used to using the combo..

Hi Throttle.....that could be part of the problem because yesterday the light was poor, that said, my previous bird images I've taken were in good light with similar results ie not very sharp!.......lots more practise is required I suspect.
I do hope I get the results I'm after as I love the feel of this combo, compared with the heavy weight of the Nikon system.

Is the photo captured with the bridge camera in better light so has a clearer image due to lower iso and a faster shutter speed ? :thinking:

I don't have the 100-400mm so cant comment on its quality myself yet most Fuji lenses seem very good usually so maybe its all down to getting used to using the combo..

I can confirm the Xf 100-400mm is up there with the best of the Fuji glass even with the 1.4x converter fitted but I haven't tried it out on my X T2 yet

I can confirm the Xf 100-400mm is up there with the best of the Fuji glass even with the 1.4x converter fitted but I haven't tried it out on my X T2 yet

It's an absolutely superb lens Sir, both optically & mechanically.(y)

George.

Back