The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just asked MPB for a quote on my D750 & 24-120 F4 VR kit.

Just dipping my toe in the water you understand.

The kit's gone up £300 to £2279 since I bought it too. Madness!

I'm looking at getting some filters for my X-T1, has anyone used the new Manfrotto Xume filters yet? Ah, they don't seem to have released the filter holder just yet, lol.

Last edited:
I'm looking at getting some filters for my X-T1, has anyone used the new Manfrotto Xume filters yet?

These are very new, even the Manfrotto website says 'Coming Soon' on a lot of the entries. It looks like it is a magnetic holder system, that allows circular filters to be added to the holder. You put a magnetic lens adapter on your lens using the screw thread, and then attach a magnetic filter holder to your filter.

There appears to be no info on the range of Manfrotto filters that will be available, but it looks as if any brand screw in filter can be used on the filter holder.

It looks fast and easy, IF you mainly use a single filter and don't stack them. for example a Polariser only

If though you stack filters then you are still screwing filters together then attaching to a filter holder before magnetically adding to the lens. You cannot magnetically stack multiple filters (unless I'm reading it wrong)

If I've interpreted it right, its a novel holder, but a one-trick pony

I imagine this has been asked before but has anyone gone from FF Nikon to X-T2 and regretted it?

Or done it and thought it was the right decision?

Talk to me.

These images make me want to sell my D750 gear and go for the X-T2!

Someone talk me out of it please!!!!

Hi Terry

If it helps, I can give you my perspective as a Nikon D800 owner who has recently acquired an X-T2. I have the luxury of being able to afford to own both cameras at the same time, whereas I appreciate that for many it is a choice as to whether to have one or the other…

I am a ‘Nikonian’ of long-standing and have built up a decent collection of lenses over the years, mostly acquired used, and now have a range that really suit my preferred styles of photography. So I have the 14-24 (for astral), the 16-35 (for filters/general landscape), the 24-70 fantastic all-rounder, and the 70-200. Put all that glass into a bag, along with the D800 and even my CF tripod, and it’s no wonder I have back problems!

My job involves a little bit of travel around the UK, so I’ve been looking for a more portable solution to the D800, something with a smaller form factor. I tried the Sony RX100 M3 – a great wee camera but it was actually too small and fiddly and I wasn’t impressed with the quality of its RAW output. So I sold it. I had previously bought and later sold a Fuji X100S from the TP classifieds – I liked the camera but found its fixed focal length too restrictive for my tastes.

Last year, having been impressed with a lot of the images I’d seen coming from the X-T1 and X-T10 family here, and also having seen the output possible from a local photographer here in NI using the X-T10 – I went and bought the X-T10/18-55mm kit from the Fuji refurb store last March – at the superb price of £545 (after the 10% discount). I liked this camera a lot and was impressed with the quality of its images. I particularly liked that it was relatively portable (compared to the D800) – I could easily pack it plus lens plus travel tripod into an overnight carry-on suitcase for my travels. I got carried away at one point though (maybe too much wine some night) and convinced myself that I needed a Fuji 14mm 2.8 lens for landscape and astral work – I didn’t of course – I still have the D800 and 14-24 for that!

Much as I was impressed with the X-T10, there wasn’t enough there (in terms of ergonomics and image size in particular) to make me seriously consider giving up on the Nikon. And the D800 was still my first choice for my landscape photography where weight (and carrying distance) weren’t an issue.

When the X-T2 appeared on the scene, and I read the various reviews, I got as far as getting a price for all my Nikon gear from both Mifsuds and MPB, but still couldn’t make that leap of faith (and I know others have). So I convinced myself that I could afford to acquire the X-T2 without giving up the Nikon. My reasoning was helped by the fact that there was a very generous trade-in bonus of £100 being offered on the X-T2, plus Jessops were prepared to discount the RRP by 5%. So I got £326 for my X-T10 body and I sold the 18-55 separately for £270 (so I effectively made money on them after 10 months of ownership! I also sold the 14mm lens and bought the 16-55mm (taking advantage of the double cashback at the time that gave me a £250 rebate).

It’s still early days yet but so far I absolutely love the X-T2/16-55mm combo. It’s still relatively portable (albeit the 16-55 is much bigger/heavier than the 18-55mm and the latter is still a great lens), I am not going to buy any more glass for it until I decide if it’s going to remain my ‘travel camera’ or it is to become my new go-to system. I do need to see how it performs for me with astral stuff – I don’t do that much of it but the Nikon and 14-24 excel at it. But I am already much more comfortable with it than I was with the X-T10 – the handling suits me much better, I’m happier knowing that it’s giving me 24mp files to play with, the physical ISO and metering controls are great, as it the little focus nubbin.

I’m off to Barcelona for a short break next week and will be taking only the X-T2 and 16-55mm with me. I can’t rule out the possibility that I will be going back to Mifsuds and MPB in the future looking for an updated price for my Nikon gear!

I imagine this has been asked before but has anyone gone from FF Nikon to X-T2 and regretted it?

Talk to me.

Haha @rookies (I think D750->SonyA7->Fuji XT2->D500->D750)

and @Nuzik

But there are some @G.K.Jnr who has moved over lock stock and barrel with no regrets

At the end of the day its just a tool to do a job, a good photographer will take great pictures with any camera, but if you don't get on with an aspect of the camera then it will frustrate you.

I went D700 > Xt1 > D750.

Great camera but miss the Fuji colours.

Taking photos with Fuji seemed more "fun" too. Hard to explain.

Using the Nikon is boring but no denying the results are superb.

Maybe it's bad weather blues and I'll feel differently once the sun's out.

Talk to me.
Both myself and @Mr Perceptive have moved from CanonFF and haven't regretted it. There are just so many aspects of using the Fuji that I prefer to using the Canon that it's hard to see a return. I seldom print above A3 and most of my images tend to be viewed on monitors/phones which means that any real or perecived loss in quality just cannot be seen.

It's been said before but the guys who have greatest difficulty moving over to the Fuji system mainly seem to be ex Nikon users. Don't know why that should be but when the X-T2 came out several jumped ship and regretted it. Then they went back; and lost a lot of £££. As you are in Worcester and we've agreed elsewhere that we are somewhat distant it's hard to fix a meet, but if you don't know the sytem then just try and borrow some gear for a day to see what you can do with it.

The aforementioned @Mr Perceptive and I have the same bodies, same lenses and same tripods. We frequently stand next to each other taking the same shots. (Some say we are joined at the hip!), but the way we use the gear, and the results we produce are totally different.

The aforementioned @Mr Perceptive and I have the same bodies, same lenses and same tripods. We frequently stand next to each other taking the same shots. (Some say we are joined at the hip!), but the way we use the gear, and the results we produce are totally different.

Because only one of us can use Photoshop (and it's not me) :exit:

But there are some @G.K.Jnr who has moved over lock stock and barrel with no regrets

We have indeed as a company Sir, and so far have not regretted a single thing.(y)

"As some of you may know as a company we shoot Motor Sport of all types and are PR togs for two F1 teams as well as some smaller sponsors, so our gear has to perform to the highest standards of speed & quality. So far since changing 100% to the X-T2 units none of our staff have regretted the move one bit. We were shooting with mainly D4s & D810 units":D:D

George.

I went D700 > Xt1 > D750.

Great camera but miss the Fuji colours.

Taking photos with Fuji seemed more "fun" too. Hard to explain.

Using the Nikon is boring but no denying the results are superb.

Maybe it's bad weather blues and I'll feel differently once the sun's out.
Terry, I went for a year using/shooting a D810 and then switched to the Fuji XP1 and XT1, haven't looked back at all....! The Nikon files/end results TO ME looked dull/flat/drab.

@Cagey75 has moved from a d810 and not looked back. I wasn't FF but moved from Nikon and agree with above I didn't like the Nikon files I found they were on the green side and flat as a pancake. Now using a evf and WYSIWYG I almost never use the raws. I get it right in camera and just tweek levels in PS and that's about it.

It's been said before but the guys who have greatest difficulty moving over to the Fuji system mainly seem to be ex Nikon users.

That's because our Nikons still do a few things better than our Fujis!!! Cannoneers are glad to see the back of their FF systems.:p

Like Brian above, I can afford to run both systems so do, with the Nikons coming out when I'll be car based and the Fujis when further away from a handy carrier. If I had to choose just one system, it would definitely be the Fujis.

:p

@Cagey75 has moved from a d810 and not looked back. I wasn't FF but moved from Nikon and agree with above I didn't like the Nikon files I found they were on the green side and flat as a pancake. Now using a evf and WYSIWYG I almost never use the raws. I get it right in camera and just tweek levels in PS and that's about it.

D800E :p but, much of a muchness. And nope, never regretted it one bit. The D800E demanded really good glass to pull the absoloute best from it. The files were Ginormous, 80mb per RAW, and it wasn't the kind of camera you just decide to go for a walk with. You can of course, but anywhere you go to shoot, people stop to stare and wonder what you're at - makes you look like a pap! :D I have had times where I just had the camera hung by my side, and people dragging me over to their mates to take pictures asking "When will this be in the paper?" :bat:

I'm much more relaxed using the Fujis [have an XT-1 & Xpro1] and generally get left alone where I decide to shoot. I prefer to blend in rather than draw attention. I would certainly recommend serious street photographers to look to a Fuji system.

I don't feel like I'm missing much by way of end image quality, as I will always shoot RAW, and always post process. Maybe the crop-ability of those huge 36mp res files, but that used to make me a bit lazy.

Last edited:
These are very new, even the Manfrotto website says 'Coming Soon' on a lot of the entries. It looks like it is a magnetic holder system, that allows circular filters to be added to the holder. You put a magnetic lens adapter on your lens using the screw thread, and then attach a magnetic filter holder to your filter.

There appears to be no info on the range of Manfrotto filters that will be available, but it looks as if any brand screw in filter can be used on the filter holder.

It looks fast and easy, IF you mainly use a single filter and don't stack them. for example a Polariser only

If though you stack filters then you are still screwing filters together then attaching to a filter holder before magnetically adding to the lens. You cannot magnetically stack multiple filters (unless I'm reading it wrong)

If I've interpreted it right, its a novel holder, but a one-trick pony

Thats what I was thinking. At the mo I have just the 18-135 lens (X-T1), would it be better to go with the lee 100mm system, along with the wide angle adapter, or go with the sev5n system?

Last edited:
Whilst your all talking filters etc, I've some how lost my Lee hard grad and soft grad as well as the holder, 8 Hoya filters, two thread adapters and a couple of B&W filters...

Now I had a huge mix and match due to not really knowing what I wanted from the get go however I need to replace this now.

My lens are 52-67mm at filter thread end (the ones I'm likely to use grad with atleast) so here's my question.

What do you guys recommend as a single go to system? I want a soft grad for sure and possibly a hard grad. I was also thinking a couple of solid ND2 and ND4 for stacking for those longer exposures.

My budget to start is limited to around £100 or so.

Any help and tips to aliviate frustration that doesn't involve my apparent continued cursing and rash thoughts of binning my kit off due to what is a minor although expensive setback would be appreciated!

Andrew

I have spent more on filters than I care to consider. Hopefully once you've sold the 60mm Macro you'll have some more money in the pot.

It really depends on how much you will use them, as to the justification of cost. My preference for full NDs is screw in (and polariser) but to use slot system for grads. I happily combine the two screwing in my grad holder into the outside of the NDs when required.

I've settled on 72mm for the screw ins and use step rings where required 52-72, 58-72, 62-72 and 67-72, this will accomodate most of the lenses, but does not work on the 16-55 (77mm filter thread) and probably won't work on the 8-16 if rumoured to be true. I'm unlikely to buy the 16-55, so at this stage I'm not worried.

My preferred NDs are Hitech Firecrest, which are very neutral but not very cheap!! The Firecrest Grads are an expensive luxury that I haven't yet succumbed to!! I use the Hitech 85mm system and have a set of resin grads in hard and soft, and just to complete the set a Hitech Firecrest polariser.

The Hoya Pro NDs are also good, and very good value for money.

But at £100 you will be struggling to get quality for the quantity of filters that you want. I would (while funds are limited) go for just the NDs and a polariser at this stage, you can replicate the grad effects in post processing, but it doesn't allow you to balance the scene fully, but bracketing shots will help.

£100, should see you with a Hoya Pro ND 2 stop and 4 stop and a Polariser, though I would suggest going for 3 and 6 stops respectively and the polariser.

Hope that helps

Is this a good start? Just a bit confusing though on which polarizing filter to add to the list.

Shopping Cart by S F, on Flickr

Not quite, The Polarizing ring just allows the polariser to be fitted to the 85mm holder, you would need to add the 95mm polariser

The alternative is to buy a polariser with a thread on the outer side as well, and attach the grad holder to that.... confusing isn't it!

I've absolutely no idea as to just what this insect/bug is, but it was on a Choisya plant in my garden.

X-T1, 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) Lens, Full Set Of Ext' Tubes, 1/180th @ F11, ISO-200, Modified Ring Flash, Handheld.
Unknown Bug (1)-02348 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Stunning detail, great lighting. I think it's a black beetle, but there's probably 1000 varieties :D

Back